Terrel Sands

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from mjxg. Show mjxg's posts

Terrel Sands

Seems we traded for him...or so says Adam Schetter, and he's saying we released Prescott Burgess. (read Adam's twitter)

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from titletownfan. Show titletownfan's posts

Re: Terrel Sands

Maybe Wilfork's injury is more serious than we think.  But why release Prescott Burgess, we seem to be throwing away late round draft picks weekly now.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from mjxg. Show mjxg's posts

Terdell Sands...as it seems Adam spelled his name wrong.

Yea - not sure what our deal is with giving away draft picks like this.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from mosseffect43. Show mosseffect43's posts

he was a free agent.plus if he struggles,he wont be here long.he is a big boy though.

http://www.rotoworld.com/content/playerpages/player_main.aspx?sport=NFL&id=1767

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from patpscyho. Show patpscyho's posts

In Response to Re: Terrel Sands:
    [QUOTE]Maybe Wilfork's injury is more serious than we think.  But why release Prescott Burgess, we seem to be throwing away late round draft picks weekly now.
    Posted by titletownfan[/QUOTE]

It was a conditional pick.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from 49Patriots. Show 49Patriots's posts

This signing has an ominous feel to it. Why do we need another NT? 

I hear Mayo might come back sooner than expected, good news for the Patriots, I hope.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from schwank. Show schwank's posts

Jeez after all the research I did on Prescott Burgess and the other Michigan LB's.  OK  it was a conditional pick, which means we get it back now? 

Maybe our defense isn't as bad as first thought?

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from K-LITE. Show K-LITE's posts

Burgess trade was a conditional 7th rounder

conditional upon how many games Burgess was active for. Since it was none, the PATS don't owe the RAVENS squaduesch!!!

Every report I've read has indicated that MRI was negative on Vince and the injury isn't serious. Maybe he'l be out a week or two at the most. I think the Sands signing was cover because both Wright and Vince may be inactive for 1 week. That would leave the PATS desperate next Sunday.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from 49Patriots. Show 49Patriots's posts

[QUOTE]Burgess trade was a conditional 7th rounder conditional upon how many games Burgess was active for. Since it was none, the PATS don't owe the RAVENS squaduesch!!! Every report I've read has indicated that MRI was negative on Vince and the injury isn't serious. Maybe he'l be out a week or two at the most. I think the Sands signing was cover because both Wright and Vince may be inactive for 1 week. That would leave the PATS desperate next Sunday.
    Posted by K-LITE[/QUOTE]

High ankle sprain. It should take 3-4 days to heal with a R.E.M. procedure. Wilfork might be a game time decision if all goes well. Without the procedure, Wilfork might be out for 2-4 weeks. 

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from steve1581. Show steve1581's posts

The reason the pats made this move is so that they could shift more permanently to a 4-3 alignment

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from artielang. Show artielang's posts

burgess was here to scout the ravens. his job is done.

sands is here for depth, as it doesnt seem BB has much faith in brace just yet. pryor is ahead of him on the depth chart. and dont forget that big sey was never replaced by another interior lineman after he was traded. sands is a big guy with big potential, who knows maybe bill can tap into it. he's real ugly too, if anyone has seen his roster photo.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from Low-FB-IQ. Show Low-FB-IQ's posts

Anyone know what happens in the following hypothetical scenario?

1 or 2 weeks from now Wilfork and Wright are better. They release TS and yet Prescott Burgess(PB) is still available as a free agent. They resign him (PB). PB then goes on to play some for the Patriots. 

Do the conditions of the trade still come into play here even though they released him and resigned him? I am guessing the conditions stay in play for the season or teams would make conditional picks and release a guy and resign him as a loop hole to get around this.

Anyone know if that is the case?

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from steve1581. Show steve1581's posts

no it is not the case once  waived the agreement becomes null and void

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from LazarusintheSanatorium. Show LazarusintheSanatorium's posts

[QUOTE]burgess was here to scout the ravens. his job is done. sands is here for depth, as it doesnt seem BB has much faith in brace just yet. pryor is ahead of him on the depth chart. and dont forget that big sey was never replaced by another interior lineman after he was traded. sands is a big guy with big potential, who knows maybe bill can tap into it. he's real ugly too, if anyone has seen his roster photo.
    Posted by artielang[/QUOTE]

artie and ALL:

Never even heard of Terdell Sands 'til 15 minutes ago, but agreed with your analysis about "his potential"... Sands was drafted out of Chattanooga in 2001, but didn't, it appears get on a Starting Roster until 2003, seeing very limited action the first few years... BUT, according to his bio, this guy is getting better and better with time, each year.  Also, Only 6 years of wear on his body is great...  AND "big boy" is a freakin' understatement, Sands is 6'7 335 lbs, MUCH MORE of a physical prescence (skill besides) at Nose than Wilfork (who IS fantastic skill-wise, but has the overall height IMHO of a gap-splitter). 

Sorry guys, not to gush here, BUT Pats haven't had as an intimidating body physically on the D-Line to center a D around since Ted Washington, who also wasn't the greatest of skilled players, but was a guy who's prescence of size alone ALWAYS it seemed needed 2-O-Lineman to account for him...  I like this pick ALOT, agree that there's an excellent upside to him, and just hope this guy's as "hungry" as he looks...

He's already on the Roster given by Boston.com... Here it is:

http://boston.stats.com/fb/playerstats.asp?id=5691&team=17

Thoughts ANYONE

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from bobomul. Show bobomul's posts

2009 Scouting Report - Scouts Inc.
    Grade: 60

Comment: Sands is a massive DT who is best utilized in a rotation basis. He does a good job occupying blocks inside and keeping linebackers free to fill from behind. He is tough to move off the line of scrimmage when he plays with leverage, but his pad level needs to be more consistent. He has limited speed and range outside his area and lacks overall quickness as a pass rusher.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from mikec645. Show mikec645's posts

I really like the upside to this.  Obviously at worse it's a temporary plug till Wilfork is healthy again and I'm ok with that.  I really get excited about the possibility of that maybe this guy just needs a good coach, considering since he was signed by the Raiders there has been 5 different head coaches.  I can't imagine that makes it easy for a young player to really develop especially if he's in need of some skill coaching.  Here he will have good coaching and a great team around him that can help his development.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from themightypatriotz. Show themightypatriotz's posts

I find it hard to believe that there was 6'7" giant DT out there who could play at a good level that every team has just been ignoring.  Remember that Wilfork's size isn't what makes him great (he's smaller than many at this position) - it's his speed.  He can really move for a DT and often makes tackles down the field.  NFL offenses have plenty of plays they can run to get a round a giant in the middle who can't move.

To quote another poster, we need linemen who rely on more than just their size, their size, and ... their size.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from Belenus555. Show Belenus555's posts

[QUOTE]I find it hard to believe that there was 6'7" giant DT out there who could play at a good level that every team has just been ignoring.  Remember that Wilfork's size isn't what makes him great (he's smaller than many at this position) - it's his speed.  He can really move for a DT and often makes tackles down the field.  NFL offenses have plenty of plays they can run to get a round a giant in the middle who can't move. To quote another poster, we need linemen who rely on more than just their size, their size, and ... their size.
    Posted by themightypatriotz[/QUOTE]

Yes, mighty....nfl offenses have plays that can be used to avoid huge NT's playing roadblock and clogging up the middle; which played into the Pats' LB pursuit on sweeps and off-tackle plays when they had Ted Washington.

It would be nice to have someone like that around again....

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from rebels1520. Show rebels1520's posts

Terdell is a monster of a man..... BEAST

see if he can plug a hole in the middle

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from themightypatriotz. Show themightypatriotz's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Terrel Sands : Yes, mighty....nfl offenses have plays that can be used to avoid huge NT's playing roadblock and clogging up the middle; which played into the Pats' LB pursuit on sweeps and off-tackle plays when they had Ted Washington. It would be nice to have someone like that around again....
    Posted by Belenus555[/QUOTE]

You're right Bel, this guy is the next Ted Washington.  It's a good thing Wilfork and Wright got hurt so we could sign him.  Mmmm, that's good kool aid. 

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from One-If-By-Sea. Show One-If-By-Sea's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Terrel Sands : artie and ALL : Never even heard of Terdell Sands 'til 15 minutes ago, but agreed with your analysis about "his potential"... Sands was drafted out of Chattanooga in 2001, but didn't, it appears get on a Starting Roster until 2003, seeing very limited action the first few years... BUT, according to his bio, this guy is getting better and better with time, each year.  Also, Only 6 years of wear on his body is great...  AND " big boy " is a freakin' understatement, Sands is 6'7 335 lbs , MUCH MORE of a physical prescence (skill besides) at Nose than Wilfork (who IS fantastic skill-wise, but has the overall height IMHO of a gap-splitter).  Sorry guys, not to gush here, BUT Pats haven't had as an intimidating  body physically  on the D-Line to center a D around since Ted Washington, who also wasn't the greatest of skilled players, but was a guy who's prescence of size alone ALWAYS it seemed needed 2-O-Lineman to account for him...  I like this pick ALOT, agree that there's an excellent upside to him, and just hope this guy's as "hungry" as he looks... He's already on the Roster given by Boston.com ... Here it is: http://boston.stats.com/fb/playerstats.asp?id=5691&team=17 Thoughts ANYONE ? 
    Posted by LazarusintheSanatorium[/QUOTE]

If he is that good he would not have been sitting at home. There is some issue - maybe it is physical or maybe in his head, but guys this big and strong do not sit around at home for weeks at a time. If the Raiders, who are desperate for defensive lineman (see the R Seymour trade), cut him then he does not have "great upside". Sorry.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from Stay-Pro. Show Stay-Pro's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Terrel Sands : ... If the Raiders, who are desperate for defensive lineman ..., cut him then he does not have "great upside". Sorry.
    Posted by One-If-By-Sea[/QUOTE]

Yeah - like the Raiders know what they're doing.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from joe81b. Show joe81b's posts

Part of what makes Wilfork great is his height.  Its a lot harder for a taller NT to get the leverage to take on 2 OL.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from LazarusintheSanatorium. Show LazarusintheSanatorium's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Terrel Sands : If he is that good he would not have been sitting at home. There is some issue - maybe it is physical or maybe in his head, but guys this big and strong do not sit around at home for weeks at a time. If the Raiders, who are desperate for defensive lineman (see the R Seymour trade), cut him then he does not have "great upside". Sorry.
    Posted by One-If-By-Sea[/QUOTE]

One, Mighty and ALL:

First off, was Terdell Sands "sitting at home" (I can't find this anywhere)... Second, Oakland has a bunch of young, healthy DTs on their squad/on practice squad that they're trying to develop-Ryan Buschotti, William Joseph, and a new guy, Desmond Bryant...Most of hem 6-6 300 something lb monsters...They can't keep ALL of them.  BTW, Seymour, a 6-6 290 lb DE who might be utilized as a DT in Oakland (not sure), but either way, He's in no way a true nose tackle...  And that "pad level" stuff on tall guys is just complete b.s....It is what you make of it: IS ANYONE saying Ty Warren or Julius Peppers (bad example with Peppers as a 4-3 pass-rushing end) can't fight off lineman and get under lineman (Alas that's NOT a true 3-4 NTs job to gap-split and spearhead into collapsing the pocket anyway, we want him to hold his ground and take up 2 O-Lineman)?  Look, Just because a team has either vet cap issues, and/or has an abundance of D-Lineman, and/or has seen more "potential" in their young Interior lineman, doesn't mean Pats should completely sell a guy short... 

I know I'm drinking the Kool-Aid here, but once more, I'd much rather have this guy, THIS year as a "conditional" opportunity than have the "potential" of some 7th rd rookie that we'd be stuck with no matter what and one who would take years to bring up to speed and whom wouldn't be making this squad deep in vets(and we probably wouldn't be getting the physical prescence, let alone the vet saviness of a 6'7 335 lb rookie, because in AT LEAST the past 2 Drafts I've followed, there's been a shortage of these freaks compared to previous drafts)... I'm not saying that this guys the "second coming" or anything, but I did see in the Jet's and Bill's game O-Lineman teeing of on Guyton (Falcons, playing "catch-up" score-wise really didn't have that running option as the game progressed), and I ALSO saw in those first couple games the passing lanes in the middle of the field wide-open for RBs, TEs, and slot guys, SO IF Sands can simply do what Ted Washington did during our Superbowl years by eating up an extra blocker through his sheer size and allow our young (and not very big) ILBs a clear shot at the RB making his way through the interior line rather than them getting killed by some mamouth offensive guard, and/or be a pillar in the way of the other Team's QB reads over what has been the wide-open passing lanes in middle of the field (hopefully putting those big mitts up too), I'm ALL for it...  

Thoughts ANYONE?

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from themightypatriotz. Show themightypatriotz's posts

Laz - Size alone doesn't eat up blockers.  You have to have strength, mobility, and technique.  A big guy who can't move and can't disengage from a block isn't much help, even on runs up the gut.  If this guy were Ted Washington, he wouldn't be unsigned out there.  And Oakland has had one of the worst run defenses in the league for years, if this guy and all those others you mentioned are such great run stuffers, what happened? 

Joe - Wilfork is only 6'2.