Thank God we didn't draft this punk

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from dafoe. Show dafoe's posts

Thank God we didn't draft this punk

A lot of people thought the Pats needed to draft a WR. And a lot of people,for some reason, thought they would go after Dez Bryant. When it came out that the guy was about as bright as a bag of rocks, I knew there was no way Bill would target him.

Apparently, stupidity isn't Dez's only issue. Turns out he's a grade A punk. He is in the news for refusing to do what all rookies do: take part in "hazing." He refused to carry a verteran's pads http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2010/07/25/dez-bryant-wont-carry-roy-williams-pads/

He will accomplish two things with this little stunt: All the veterans will hate him and be rooting for him to fail. He has become an outcast immmediately. Secondly, they will screw him twice as hard. They are going to get him. The whole idea is to show the rookies a little humility. Like Williams said, they are going to take it up a notch. Now it's personal. He's disrespected all the vets with this move.

And I can guarantee you if he doesn't learn his place, at some point in a preseason game, one of the vets will "miss" a block that gets Dez lit like a Christmas tree. Hopefully he isn't injured. But you can't say he didn't have it coming. He can play along now, or he can play along later. It's just a question of how hard he wants to make things for himself.

And anybody that wants to defend Bryant for "sticking up for himself" has never played football and just doesn't have a clue as to how teams work. This guy is a joke. I am so happy the Pats didn't waste a pick on this arrogant antisocial loser.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from LazarusintheSanatorium. Show LazarusintheSanatorium's posts

Re: Thank God we didn't draft this punk

Hey dafoe and ALL:

Lmao, Check out THIS comment in the reader section of the article ya gave:

"This makes me like Dez Bryant a million times more. Respected is demanded, not earned."     ~Posted by (ROFLOL):  IndyColtsfan45

~Sorry people, This is far and away- Less about carrying some pretty mediocre NFL Vet's Shoulder Pads...Than it is about Teaching a fresh outta college NFL Rookie, a little respect & humility by having him do a meaningless simple task, HERE's WHY:

Many of these Collegiate Football Superstars, WERE no doubt, the top apex of the food chain On their team, schools, peers, And EVERYthing and EVERYwhere else they knew...  Suddenly they have become INFINITELY higher in popularity an recognition:  Millions of dollars, 3 Cameras to 300 Cameras, Reporters, People and Circumstances bowing 100 fold to their every whim, And Yet:  They haven't accomplished 1 d#mn thing yet in The Big Leagues, although they're being hailed as the next Messiah.

THIS could, would and Should- Inflate their already Large Egos, Infinitely.  Suddenly it's, I'M amazing, I'M a wonder, I AM the best...  Huge Egos=No Humility.  No Humility=I can do it alone, and need NOone.  I can do it alone=NO TEAM. 

Look, IS this pointless, st#pid, and somewhat belittling?  Yea. it is.  But, It's the way of life in most every secular and/or exclusive organization and/or group.  And it's MORE than instilling some humility as a curve to stave off some, "It's all about ME," Prima Dona Behavior...  It's an initiation, a passage rite to show humility & grounding, secularization & unity, and finally acceptance & group mentorship.

And please, This ain't someone getting beaten or drinking to death.  This is simple and easy, An It HAS a reason and an aim.  God, even IF the dude's a pr#ck, You really MIGHT NEED that vet to show you the ropes, learn something critical from, and ultimately get your back as a TEAMMATE...ya don't show 'em up and proverbially say, "I don't need you, Because I'm better than you."  

And man, Look- I HEAR Dez Bryant not wantin' to take cr#p from ANYone, After he had that Combine Interview, Where the sc#mbag NFL-Suit Interviewer, actually called his own Mom a h#, JUST to see HOW Dez would react.  Here though?  Jesus, It's a simple curve on self-pride, steering it towards the humility of WE and the counting on- US...THIS is different, THESE are the guy's Bryant needs to count on and be part of when they go to war together...   

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from ewhite1065. Show ewhite1065's posts

What is it with wide receivers? Being a disruptive influence on the team must be a prerequisite for that position. (My Interpretation) AHH, Yeah "I'm really happy Dallas drafted me but I just don't want to be part of the team so everybody leave me alone and watch me win games. They're not getting me the ball enough in training camp either."

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from shenanigan. Show shenanigan's posts

Not sure if you're being sarcastic or not Laz.  I've had the honor of being hazed or whatever you want to call it several times in my life.  I don't know why it has any use in team building, but I am sure that it does.  Maybe it's necessary to create a hierarchy, because without people on top and people on bottom we can't tap into the natural competitive drive to excel past others. 

Really, in the NFL everyone is the same, it is only the perceptions created by the players that make those on top.  Every group needs leaders, and those leaders need to at least have the perception that they have earned their status.  Several years ago I went to a Special Ops unit, and despite having some level of respect and power where I came from I was informed that I was in charge of the garbage cans.  And furthermore I had to paint my name on the garbage cans and take them out every day along with a bunch of other pointless stuff.  I could fight it, and probably not do a bunch of stupid things but in reality it wasn't going to earn me any respect.  The feeling was "we did it, and if you don't than you are weak and we don't want you around."  So I just did it, laughed about it, and a few months later I was "in."  Now I can relate to Dez, later in my career I went to flight school and got to start all over again at the bottom.  I was given the dubious honor of being in charge of stocking the fridge for snacks since I was "new."  Now at this point in my career my left boot basically had more combat experience than all of the people "above me" combined, and I really wasn't feeling the superiority of my peers but that has to be proved, not told, so that is what I did and that's what Dex needs to do.  What Dez, needs to do is play along and show on the field that Williams belongs on the bench and then he will get his respect.  Now here in America we love our independent, non conformist types, but in other endeavors around the world like maybe sports, military, police, etc., cohesive teams are essential to success.  So maybe he should keep his rebel, non conformist behaviours out of the football stadium.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from jcour382. Show jcour382's posts

ok all the nitwits that wanted NE to take this guy and cried for weeks on what a mistake it was when we didnt....   step up and take your  beatin....

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from 49Patriots. Show 49Patriots's posts

I'm not mad at him, I am disappointed that he doesn't want to take part in some rookie initiations. Football is like a fraternity, you have to earn respect. 

If he doesn't want to do it that's fine, but he better not be there next season hazing a rookie. He'll just be excluded from all any non-football activities.

He comes in, they work out, run some drills, practice the playbook, he leaves, they award the game ball, they play around.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from ewhite1065. Show ewhite1065's posts

In Response to Re: Thank God we didn't draft this punk:
    Not sure if you're being sarcastic or not Laz.  I've had the honor of being hazed or whatever you want to call it several times in my life.  I don't know why it has any use in team building, but I am sure that it does.  Maybe it's necessary to create a hierarchy, because without people on top and people on bottom we can't tap into the natural competitive drive to excel past others.  Really, in the NFL everyone is the same, it is only the perceptions created by the players that make those on top.  Every group needs leaders, and those leaders need to at least have the perception that they have earned their status.  Several years ago I went to a Special Ops unit, and despite having some level of respect and power where I came from I was informed that I was in charge of the garbage cans.  And furthermore I had to paint my name on the garbage cans and take them out every day along with a bunch of other pointless stuff.  I could fight it, and probably not do a bunch of stupid things but in reality it wasn't going to earn me any respect.  The feeling was "we did it, and if you don't than you are weak and we don't want you around."  So I just did it, laughed about it, and a few months later I was "in."  Now I can relate to Dez, later in my career I went to flight school and got to start all over again at the bottom.  I was given the dubious honor of being in charge of stocking the fridge for snacks since I was "new."  Now at this point in my career my left boot basically had more combat experience than all of the people "above me" combined, and I really wasn't feeling the superiority of my peers but that has to be proved, not told, so that is what I did and that's what Dex needs to do.  What Dez, needs to do is play along and show on the field that Williams belongs on the bench and then he will get his respect.  Now here in America we love our independent, non conformist types, but in other endeavors around the world like maybe sports, military, police, etc., cohesive teams are essential to success.  So maybe he should keep his rebel, non conformist behaviours out of the football stadium.
    Posted by shenanigan

I think it's about being able to humble yourself a little bit for the sake of the whole group. This is a little bit like the big brother, little brother thing when you were kids. It's about building the type of an atmosphere where everybody fits into their own place.You don't just come into the league and think you're the team leader and nobody tells me what to do. There's nothing humiliating about it and from what I can tell from the Pats rookies I've seen in the past they all seem to laugh about it. They're getting initiating into this new club and it's part of the process. How many weeks into the season before this guys Pulls a T.O. move in the press after a loss?

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from jcour382. Show jcour382's posts

exactly...its team building....no one indiviual is bigger than the team... its already obvious he doesnt see himself that way...

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from ewhite1065. Show ewhite1065's posts

Hey dafoe and ALL : Lmao, Check out THIS comment in the reader section of the article ya gave: " This makes me like Dez Bryant a million times more. Respected is demanded, not earned ."     ~Posted by (ROFLOL):  IndyColtsfan45 ~ Sorry people, This is far and away- Less about carrying some pretty mediocre NFL Vet's Shoulder Pads...Than it is about Teaching a fresh outta college NFL Rookie, a little respect & humility by having him do a meaningless simple task, HERE's WHY : Many of these Collegiate Football Superstars, WERE no doubt, the top apex of the food chain On their team, schools, peers, And EVERYthing and EVERYwhere else they knew...  Suddenly they have become INFINITELY higher in popularity an recognition:  Millions of dollars, 3 Cameras to 300 Cameras, Reporters, People and Circumstances bowing 100 fold to their every whim, And Yet:  They haven't accomplished 1 d#mn thing yet in The Big Leagues, although they're being hailed as the next Messiah. THIS  could, would and Should- Inflate their already Large Egos, Infinitely.  Suddenly it's, I'M amazing, I'M a wonder, I AM the best...  Huge Egos=No Humility.  No Humility=I can do it alone, and need NOone.  I can do it alone=NO TEAM.  Look, IS this pointless, st#pid, and somewhat belittling?  Yea. it is.  But, It's the way of life in most every secular and/or exclusive organization and/or group.  And it's MORE than instilling some humility as a curve to stave off some, "It's all about ME," Prima Dona Behavior...  It's an initiation, a passage rite to show humility & grounding, secularization & unity, and finally acceptance & group mentorship. And please, This ain't someone getting beaten or drinking to death.  This is simple and easy, An It HAS a reason and an aim.  God, even IF the dude's a pr#ck, You really MIGHT NEED that vet to show you the ropes, learn something critical from, and ultimately get your back as a TEAMMATE...ya don't show 'em up and proverbially say, "I don't need you, Because I'm better than you."   And man, Look- I HEAR Dez Bryant not wantin' to take cr#p from ANYone, After he had that Combine Interview, Where the sc#mbag NFL-Suit Interviewer, actually called his own Mom a h#, JUST to see HOW Dez would react.  Here though?  Jesus, It's a simple curve on self-pride, steering it towards the humility of WE and the counting on- US...THIS is different, THESE are the guy's Bryant needs to count on and be part of when they go to war together...   
    Posted by LazarusintheSanatorium

Absolutely correct Laz. Humility is the key word here. Humility is one of the best personality traits you can have and one of the hardest to find in professional sports. It's sounds like it's time to fill up the pillow cases with oranges and have a good old fashion blanket party.  We may have a code red on our hands in a couple of weeks.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from Paul_K. Show Paul_K's posts

On the McCourty versus Dez thread, I will stick by my McCourty choice.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from Artist-Frmrly-Knwn-As-NickC1188. Show Artist-Frmrly-Knwn-As-NickC1188's posts

I wouldn't carry Roy Williams' pads either.  The guy is a pr*ck.

But point taken.  It is a rite of passage.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from MarcW1. Show MarcW1's posts

So if Dez Bryant wins rookie of the year, has 112 catches for 1,400 yards and catches 17 touchdowns, you'll be glad we didn't draft this punk?  Yeah, it's kind of a dick move not to carry someone's pads, but come on, don't be so quick to hate.  Maybe they'll make him sing in the cafeteria or do other meaningless stuff.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from USMCM1A1. Show USMCM1A1's posts

Hazing is a poor substitute for the real cohesion produced in well-run, well-led organizations.  Ultimately the bonds of philia love that mark highly coherent units (like military units at their best) are enhanced by shared privation and hardship, not by adversarial brutality, and not by having stronger, more established people try and hurt/repeat hurts on weaker, newer people.

My experience as both a Marine officer and NCO was that the weaker the unit leadership, the more prevalent (and brutal) hazing was--hazing is inversely proportional to leadership quality. 

When a new guy joins a unit, there'll be guys who want to haze and f*** with him, and there'll be people who want to take the new guy under their wing and school him up.  The hazers are invariably the weakest, least solid members of the unit, while the ones who want to nurture and row a junior (i.e. be leaders by definition) have no interest in hazing.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from ewhite1065. Show ewhite1065's posts

So if Dez Bryant wins rookie of the year, has 112 catches for 1,400 yards and catches 17 touchdowns, you'll be glad we didn't draft this punk?  Yeah, it's kind of a dick move not to carry someone's pads, but come on, don't be so quick to hate.  Maybe they'll make him sing in the cafeteria or do other meaningless stuff.
    Posted by MarcW1

You know I actually asked myself this question when I first replied to this post.
    My answer came back no. I didn't want anything to do with T.O. either and I'm one of the people that is still happy we traded Manny Ramirez even though we still haven't replaced his bat in the lineup. It's just my personality but it really bugs me to listen to and read this crap about players on my team. It's sort of like when the media went off on spygate..It makes me not want to turn sports radio or TV on and everytime you come here the Local writers will be writing their negative cr@ap about it. You never know, this could be the last negative story we ever hear about the kid but if this happened with a Patriot rookie Mazz would already have 3 stories about how it's tearing our team apart in the locker room. That's the stuff the detracts from my enjoyment of being a Pats fan.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from Artist-Frmrly-Knwn-As-NickC1188. Show Artist-Frmrly-Knwn-As-NickC1188's posts

Hazing is a poor substitute for the real cohesion produced in well-run, well-led organizations.  Ultimately the bonds of philia love that mark highly coherent units (like military units at their best) are enhanced by shared privation and hardship, not by adversarial brutality, and not by having stronger, more established people try and hurt/repeat hurts on weaker, newer people. My experience as both a Marine officer and NCO was that the weaker the unit leadership, the more prevalent (and brutal) hazing was--hazing is inversely proportional to leadership quality.  When a new guy joins a unit, there'll be guys who want to haze and f*** with him, and there'll be people who want to take the new guy under their wing and school him up.  The hazers are invariably the weakest, least solid members of the unit, while the ones who want to nurture and row a junior (i.e. be leaders by definition) have no interest in hazing.
    Posted by USMCM1A1

The entire concept of basic training is "hazing" of sorts.  Your rack is off by an inch.  Your boots aren't shined enough.  Run here.  Stand there.  Stay up for watch and be tired the whole next day.

Yes, I understand the need to produce good soldiers (and the PBS documentary on the Marines is fantastic), but I do think that limited hazing is a natural part of human culture with regards to establishing the pecking order within the tribe.

I do like your post, though.  Weaker people with lesser character do the worst hazing.  

It's just that carrying someone else's pads or singing or whatnot are just-for-fun kinds of things.  As a former player, I didn't really get involved with any of that, but it was enjoyable and we always made sure that the underclassmen were on board with it (especially the haircuts).

As for Roy Williams, the guy said he was the #1 receiver even as Miles Austin was clearly outproducing him.  In THIS particular case, I think it was more about Williams trying to assert himself over his competition at WR.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from paparui. Show paparui's posts

I'd have a problem if he didn't carry Miles Austin's equipment but Roy Williams has become a joke of a WR since joining the Cowboys. I'd have no respect for Williams game and refuse to carry his pads too. Dez is probably already better then Williams so if anything Williams should carry his equipment.

Jeremy Shockey pulled this crap too when he was a rookie and managed to have a big rookie year along with a solid pro career. I could understand a rookie carrying a respected veterans equipment but no way should they carry a bums equipment like Williams.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from unclealfie. Show unclealfie's posts

He sounds like another TO in training.

Way to get attention, pinhead!

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from jcour382. Show jcour382's posts

yah exactly i dont care what he does... he reminds me of a young terrell owens/ keshawn johnson...  a "me first" player...

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from USMCM1A1. Show USMCM1A1's posts

In Response to Re: Thank God we didn't draft this punk : The entire concept of basic training is "hazing" of sorts.  Your rack is off by an inch.  Your boots aren't shined enough.  Run here.  Stand there.  Stay up for watch and be tired the whole next day. Yes, I understand the need to produce good soldiers (and the PBS documentary on the Marines is fantastic), but I do think that limited hazing is a natural part of human culture with regards to establishing the pecking order within the tribe.
    Posted by Artist-Frmrly-Knwn-As-NickC1188

Nick, I would point out that recruit training is acculturative--it's meant to change the cultural practices of adults.  It's not meant to be team building and create cohesion.  What you do in a unit to succesfully create cohesion between members, e.g. build a football team, looks nothing like recruit training.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from paob. Show paob's posts

Not sure if you're being sarcastic or not Laz.  I've had the honor of being hazed or whatever you want to call it several times in my life.  I don't know why it has any use in team building, but I am sure that it does.  Maybe it's necessary to create a hierarchy, because without people on top and people on bottom we can't tap into the natural competitive drive to excel past others.  Really, in the NFL everyone is the same, it is only the perceptions created by the players that make those on top.  Every group needs leaders, and those leaders need to at least have the perception that they have earned their status.  Several years ago I went to a Special Ops unit, and despite having some level of respect and power where I came from I was informed that I was in charge of the garbage cans.  And furthermore I had to paint my name on the garbage cans and take them out every day along with a bunch of other pointless stuff.  I could fight it, and probably not do a bunch of stupid things but in reality it wasn't going to earn me any respect.  The feeling was "we did it, and if you don't than you are weak and we don't want you around."  So I just did it, laughed about it, and a few months later I was "in."  Now I can relate to Dez, later in my career I went to flight school and got to start all over again at the bottom.  I was given the dubious honor of being in charge of stocking the fridge for snacks since I was "new."  Now at this point in my career my left boot basically had more combat experience than all of the people "above me" combined, and I really wasn't feeling the superiority of my peers but that has to be proved, not told, so that is what I did and that's what Dex needs to do.  What Dez, needs to do is play along and show on the field that Williams belongs on the bench and then he will get his respect.  Now here in America we love our independent, non conformist types, but in other endeavors around the world like maybe sports, military, police, etc., cohesive teams are essential to success.  So maybe he should keep his rebel, non conformist behaviours out of the football stadium.
    Posted by shenanigan

S.
    Bryant has kept relatively quiet since being selected. On draft day, I made it a point to record and watch both ESPN and NFL network for their feedback, analysis and players reactions at being selected. Some of these athletes appeared to be genuinely pleased and humbled at being selected. When Bryant's name was called, the footage I saw was that of a person who appeared to have a chip on his shoulder. 
    I don't know Dez Bryant personally, and I didn't follow much of his career at OSU. I do know hazing is a major part of professional sports and until yesterday, I don't recall very many stories of untested, haven't accomplished anything rookies, thinking or acting as if they're above the rituals of this league or any other.
    Human nature being what it is, there is potential for this to turn into an issue in the future. 

Tony Romo must be reaching for the extra strength Tylenol - oh so pleased at the fact they replaced one headache with another.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from jbolted. Show jbolted's posts

In Response to Thank God we didn't draft this punk:
    A lot of people thought the Pats needed to draft a WR. And a lot of people,for some reason, thought they would go after Dez Bryant. When it came out that the guy was about as bright as a bag of rocks, I knew there was no way Bill would target him. Apparently, stupidity isn't Dez's only issue. Turns out he's a grade A punk. He is in the news for refusing to do what all rookies do: take part in "hazing." He refused to carry a verteran's pads  http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2010/07/25/dez-bryant-wont-carry-roy-williams-pads/ He will accomplish two things with this little stunt: All the veterans will hate him and be rooting for him to fail. He has become an outcast immmediately. Secondly, they will screw him twice as hard. They are going to get him. The whole idea is to show the rookies a little humility. Like Williams said, they are going to take it up a notch. Now it's personal. He's disrespected all the vets with this move. And I can guarantee you if he doesn't learn his place, at some point in a preseason game, one of the vets will "miss" a block that gets Dez lit like a Christmas tree. Hopefully he isn't injured. But you can't say he didn't have it coming. He can play along now, or he can play along later. It's just a question of how hard he wants to make things for himself. And anybody that wants to defend Bryant for "sticking up for himself" has never played football and just doesn't have a clue as to how teams work. This guy is a joke. I am so happy the Pats didn't waste a pick on this arrogant antisocial loser.
    Posted by dafoe

He's a punk because he doesn't want to carry the pads of the guy who's job he's going to take? I think not. Roy Williams is the most overrated player in the NFL today. Only Jerry Jones/Dan Snyder would be stupid enough to pay Williams mega-millions. Bryant knows what I know, that he will take his job.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from Patsman2. Show Patsman2's posts

I could care less if the guy carries his pads or not.  You dont need to haze someone to build cohesion or a team.  Try building someone up, instead of tearing them down and making them feel inferior.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from ewhite1065. Show ewhite1065's posts

In Response to Thank God we didn't draft this punk : He's a punk because he doesn't want to carry the pads of the guy who's job he's going to take? I think not. Roy Williams is the most overrated player in the NFL today. Only Jerry Jones/Dan Snyder would be stupid enough to pay Williams mega-millions. Bryant knows what I know, that he will take his job.
    Posted by jbolted

I don't think it makes him a punk either but it does make him a rebel on a team and in a league that has been doing this forever. It's disrespectful to the veterans who went through this when they came into the league and right now there is tension in the locker room when there shouldn't be. Being someone that doesn't like the Cowboys I kind of like it. He's challenging Veterans on the team already. Hopefully there will be a good fist fight within the next week.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from Patsman2. Show Patsman2's posts

Sorry Russ, couldnt disagree with you more.  How is carrying someone elses shoulder pads teamwork?  Is Roy Williams hurt? Is he elderly?  Carry your own pads Roy.  Do you really think this shows a guy is not a team player?  How about the fact he was the first one on the practice field?  How about the fact he was the last to leave?  This "minor" incident is how he fews life in general???  Give me a break Russ.

Oh and I have started my fair share of new jobs and if someone asked me to carry his work equipement my first day, I would have told him to f--- off.  Give me a break.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from JerrySpringer. Show JerrySpringer's posts

First let me just say this.....Does it really matter? Who Cares? IF this guy puts up Hall of Fame Numbers does it matter? THe HAzing is rediculous and can get people hurt. Why should someone new have to bow down to someone on the team that is a bench warmer at best.  Its not about humility, its about winning games, catching footballs and putting up value for what you get paid to do. THis isnt college its The PRO'S. Thats why they get paid the big bucks To Perform! Not carry some stooge's pads. You want a frat or act like one, stay in college. Its time to grow up and act like men not little boys.  If im on a team, sur ewe can joke, sure we can have fun, but hazing, no. When you get a new job, do they do this with you a tthe top companies? I dont think so. Its time to leave behind the boys games and man up baby......Kiss Oh...and I love Lady Gaga