The "wussification" of the NFL

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from ma6dragon9. Show ma6dragon9's posts

The "wussification" of the NFL

Is being greatly exaggerated by most right now.

The NFL didn't need to have a facemask penalty on the books, until everyone started using that as a preferred tackling method, so they had to take it out because these neanderthals weren't smart enough to know not to do it on their own.

It should have been obvious that you shouldn't grab someone by the back of the pads and rip them to the ground, as Roy Williams made so famous. But, again, players have littler egard to opponents in most cases, so AGAIN the league had to institute a rule to remove dirty play from the game. Dirty play that should have been avoided anyway, but in people's undying quest to get a competitive edge, people interpret the rules as they see fit (See: Spygate, though not a safety issue).

Players are now bigger, faster, stronger, smarter, better positioned...and seemingly can't understnad "unneccessary roughness". That's why it's on the books, so when players are trending in a completely UNSAFE way, it can be stemmed. Meriweather was a cheapshot, plain and simple. Harrison was the very epitome of unneccessary, the Massaquioa hit at least. As was Robinson. Now I'll hear the popular "oh, so let the guy catch the ball, do a little dance, land, and get the first down." To that argument...you jokesters complain about the NFL overreacting while overreacting more-so yourselves. Hypocrisy is hilarious.

On a CSN show last night they did a fantastic job of highlighting the hit Chung laid on the goalline on Mason. Rocked him, sent him rolling, knocked the ball away. All with a clean hit. A clean, hard, hit. Not a "I'm going to smash him as hard as I can and hope for the best" hit. He came in controlled, focused on the ball, and made a PLAY!

Shlereth needs to relax. Sorry if the union is screwing you now, so current players should suffer too? Way to change with the times.

NHL MADE players wear helmets. Players whined, it got done...has it changed anything?

MLB waited to be reactive and Tony Cs career was ended before they made the obvious step to helmets. How'd that "wussify" baseball?

It seems a majority of NFL players want to hurt their opponent. Not injure, hurt. The mentality is somewhat ok for a football player, but they need to change their thinking. Harrison blowing up Massaquioa was trying to hurt him. HE could have knocked the ball easily away without ever tackling him, but decided to build up speed, and come in forearms and helmet first. No tackling form, just trying to destroy him. Completely and utterly UNNECCESSARY! I wish he would have retired, one less mindless thug out there.

Periodically, the NFL is goign to HAVE to be changed to accomodate the changing physiques of these monsters. They can't expect the same rules to apply in the 60s as they do now, that's plain ignorance. If simple hard play is leading to a lot of injuries, as the trend is showing and more-so as more and more is understood about concussions, then the game has to be changed. I don't understand why that's so hard for so many people to understand.

Funny how people whine now, yet, I don't remember a lot of uproar when they removed the "wedge" from kickoffs. Something that had been a par tof football for 50 years was removed. Why? Because these athletes and coaches weren't smart enough to play in a safe, responsible manner. A 50 yard sprint, full speed into 2 300 lb lineman? Why was that EVER a good idea? That's not football, that's idiocy.

If you don't like it, then pop in some early UFC tapes and watch the literal no holds barred competitions. You must think it's "good fighting technique" to repeatedly punch someone in the nuts, poke them in the eye, and kick them in the head when they are on the ground. All things removed from the current UFC because they are, well, completely and undeniably unneccessarily rough. Damn wussification of the UFC...look how their rating are plummetting. Oh...wait...

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from Homecheese. Show Homecheese's posts

Re: The "wussification" of the NFL

it is what it is.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from ewhite1065. Show ewhite1065's posts

I'm willing to bet at the end of the year that everyone loves the NFL just as much as when the season started. To use the old cliche', The more things change the more they stay the same.
    As an example, I work for a rather large company that is big into Micro management and rules and they are always tweaking everything we do. When they send out an email or implement a new rule I nod and say "yes boss". Then I go back to my job and realize that I'm most likely not going to change anything I do except for some piece of minutia that would make me appear to be a conformist and a company man.
    We'll see bigger fines and a suspension here or there for stupid head hunting hits but it shouldn't affect our enjoyment of the game.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from croc. Show croc's posts

The hardest hit by a Pat last weekend was Chung's and that was body shot with a shoulder.  That's textbook, clean as  a whistle and he separated the ball.  It's the cheapshots that are being enforced.  That's not wussification. It's the cheapshots that are for wussies - like baby boy James Harrison. 

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from p-mike. Show p-mike's posts

Most of the complaints I'm hearing have nothing to do with eliminating spearing and forearm shivers to the head. But when the league fines a guy like Dunta Robinson for making a textbook hit that was simply "too hard," that's a problem. If you want to make a rule that defenders may not leave their feet to make a tackle, go ahead and make that rule. But I am leery of giving game officials free license to call whatever they want under some subjective "devastating hit"  legislation.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from kansaspatriot. Show kansaspatriot's posts

if they don't like it, simple don't watch it

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from croc. Show croc's posts

The Robinson hit was so 'clean' it drew an immediate flag for hitting a defenseless player (as ruled by the ref on the feild). He lead with his head, not only was it dangerous for Jackson, it was dangerous for Robinson as well.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from p-mike. Show p-mike's posts

I love the way people are latching onto this "led with his head" rhetoric.

Your head is on top of and between your shoulders. If you can level a shoulder at someone without leading with your head, there is big, big money awaiting you on the contortionist circuit.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from croc. Show croc's posts

It's a rule, and the league has done a 180 on it based on the concussing and nonconcussing damage from head shots. The data is overwhelming. They had to.

Had Robonson hit Jackson on the numbers with his shoulder, not only is there no call.  The likelihood is greater he can jar a ball loose and he's in much better position to tackle...how's that for something to latch on to?

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsEng. Show PatsEng's posts

In Response to Re: The "wussification" of the NFL:
    [QUOTE]I love the way people are latching onto this "led with his head" rhetoric. Your head is on top of and between your shoulders. If you can level a shoulder at someone without leading with your head, there is big, big money awaiting you on the contortionist circuit.
    Posted by p-mike[/QUOTE]

Wow you like to take it very literally don't you? Yes it is impossible to literally toss you head back to not lead with it but there is a huge difference between leading with your helmet and leading with your head. Leading with your head means tha yout make the hit directly in the middle of your body with your head out in front. Leading with your shoulder means that you plan on hitting with your head to the side of the opponents body. Now you can actually enlarge your shoulder hit by sticking your arm out in a motion that will wrap around a players body in a tackle motion (IE see Chungs hit on Mason) Fundamental tackling means you tackle leading with your shoulder to wrap around for a tackle driving into the chest or gut of your opponent.

Maybe people don't realize this but to the NFL the players are assets. Why on gods green earth would the NFL risk those assets by allowing unnecessary roughness? Face it protecting players should be priority one and that includes getting rid of these types of hits. You see 1 maybe 2 of these types of hits every week in the NFL so getting rid of them isn't going to effect the overall play every week.

For the record I thought Meriweathers hit was dirty, Harrisons were unnecessary, but I don't have a problem with Robinsons. It looked like to me that he put his head to the side and lead with his shoulder. It was just a violent hit that if not for Harrisons and Meriweathers hit might have never even been fined for.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from unclealfie. Show unclealfie's posts

I think these nuclear hits are attributable to the "ESPN highlight film" mentality that's taken control in the NBA. Does a classic Cousy type off-the-backboard layup count for as many points as a 360, between your legs and over your head slam dunk?

Sure it does, but which one is going to get your smiling face highlighted in ESPN?

Same thing going on here; a regulation clean tackle isn't going to do anything for your rep but a devastating hit to the head that lays a guy out is sure to get your name out there.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from ATJ. Show ATJ's posts

As an ancient football player (high school linebacker, safety and blocking back, junior college bench warmer) who has had a concussion from a tackle that I made in a high school game, anything and everything they can do to eliminate the kind of hits for which Merriweather and Harrison were fined is a plus in my opinion.  Anyone who has ever had a concussion from a hit in football can tell you that it is anything but pleasant.

Even after I recovered from the concussion, I prided myself on hitting with reckless abandon.  I was 17 and dumber than a box of rocks.

It's not wussification, it's a safety issue and both Merriweather and Harrison deserved those fines.  You can hit hard without intending your head to be the initial point of contact and that is the issue.

My 2 cents on the matter.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from NOT2REGRET. Show NOT2REGRET's posts

Meri's was a dirty hit , no debate there. The guy actually led w/ his head. Robinson's was fine by him , it was violent , explosive ... oh yea it was football. And I feel the same way about Harrison's truck shots. And this league is turning pansy , are really trying to tell me that James Harrisson never hit anyone like before , pound 4 pound he might be the strongest guy in the NFL. He makes about 4-5 of those hits every year. The only guy that "led w/ his head" was Meri. , the other two were just monster shots ... that started mid chest and as the player was driving up helmets made contact. If James Harrison really wanted to hurt Cribbs he could have could have just put his helmet in Cribbs chin. I cant remember if it was the first/second , but he obviously led w/ his shoulder on the one closest to the ground. Let me ask you this , do you want to fine/suspend RB's when they lead w/ their head ... do you want to eliminate high/low tackles ... cut blocks ... just want to see if you still stand when you pee or not?

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from ma6dragon9. Show ma6dragon9's posts

There is having your head in front of your leaning-forward body...then there is lowering your head to create a battering ram. Two distinctly different things. Harrison on Cribbs was borderline, on Massaquioa, to me, was too much. He didn't need to lower his body, brace himself, and come up with his forearms and shoulders. You can play hard without playing dirty. Chung, in the above-mentioned hit could have destroyed Mason. He chose not to, he CHOSE to hit him the right way and not just try to hit him as hard as humanely possible.

Again, with the ball-carrier nonsense. Ball carriers aren't picking out a defender and taking a run at that 1 guy, and trying to use his shoulder, forearms, head and whatever else is handy to dislodge something, ANYTHING from him. Defenders see it coming, and have 2 free hands to do as they please to make a play. A ball carrier, when getting hit, can only brace himself, or try to initiate contact...he doesn't launch at a defender when he's defenseless, launch at all (sans goalline), bring a forarm with him, hit him under the facemask...I mean, the list is long, to compare the two is assinine. You don't understand football if that's your justification for allowing these near criminal hits.

The fact is, if we all want to enjoy the football that we do now, the trend needs to be stopped, and I applaud the NFL for doing it. I don't even care if this is laying the groundwork for an 18 game schedule. Whatever the motivation, the result is a neccessity. Allowing things to continue as they were...I truly feel there would have eventually been a death on the field. Imagine if Woodhead took a shot like Heap or Massaquioa. Legal or not, he'd be in the hospital. Is that a good thing? Does that mean he pees standing up?

I don't want to hear any more "oh, you want them to make a decision in a split second while someone's in mid air..." blah blah blah. Anyone who's played any type of competitive sports above, say, age 16 knows that, on the field, things slow down immensely, the brain has the ability to rattle off a ton of things in an instant. The point is, the mindset of some players in today's NFL is wrong. Harrison is one of them. Ray Lewis is not. They both play with the same intensity, have similar builds, but one blows people up as hard as he can, while the other makes hard hits while keeping it in the context of a good football play. I don't care what these guys say, some definitely do want to hurt someone given the chance, and they need to change that thinking. Perfect example. I'm no Rhodes Scholar, nor am I an elite football talent, but I played a fair amount of full-contact, pads free football on the fields of Tufts in my early 20s (in 5 years of playing nearly every football weekend...no head injuries for anyone...just saying) there was a kick return. I was engaged with the blocker, and the returner was running straight at me. When he was within 10 yards, my mind went into overdrive. I was engaged with a bigger, stronger blocker, I saw this guy running full speed at me as I'm flat footed, and I knew I had to make a play. A ton of possibilities ran through my head: arm tackle, clothesline, let him run by me, throw my body at his feet. I'm about 6'1, 240, he was probably 5'8, 175ish...a clothesline would've been fine for me, but I CHOSE a different approach because I'm not a s c u m b a g. I could have stuck an arm out, grabbed him around the neck, and slammed him. Instead, I disengaged the block, and put a shoulder right on his thigh. He went airborn, the ball went another way and I barely felt it. One of the best hits of my life, and probably my single favorite because I did it completely the right way, and to toot my own horn, it was a HELL of a play! It's all about intent, my intent was to make a good football play, not a devastating hit.