The Brady Critics

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from auchhhhhhhhhhh. Show auchhhhhhhhhhh's posts

Re: The Brady Critics

Best QB, leader, person to have around... really really really hope he gets his 4th ring.

!!!!

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from seawolfxs. Show seawolfxs's posts

In response to Not-A-Shot's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Tom Brady is the greatest player in Patriots history, one of the greatest in NFL history and one of the greatest players in Boston sports history.  He could easily stand beside Larry Bird, Ted Williams and Bobby Orr and not be out of place one bit.

[/QUOTE]

Absolutely

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from BabeParilli. Show BabeParilli's posts

In response to ATJ's comment:
    [QUOTE]

In response to BabeParilli's comment:
    [QUOTE]

One other point.... you forgot Bill Russell.

[/QUOTE]

Only those who never saw Russ play would overlook him.  I think Brady is off the charts outstanding but for me, Russ will always be the greatest ever to play in Boston regardless of the sport.

[/QUOTE]

I think Bird and Ortiz fall into the same category. They will be liked by younger guys who didn't see Russell or Williams. But, great as Bird/Ortiz are, they simply are not as great as Williams/Russell if you saw them play.

My choice of the greatest of them all would be Orr. He simply was so much better than everybody else in his game. Bobby Orr was the phenom of all phenoms in my view. He led the league in scoring as a defenseman in a lower scoring era. Insane. The guy would just twitch and leave good hockey players in the dust. His dominance seemed effortless.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from BabeParilli. Show BabeParilli's posts

In response to HailToTheKing's comment:
    [QUOTE]

You really can't use that argument....... what if Bird didn't have Parrish and McHale?  What if Russell didn't have pretty much an entire roster of Hall of Famers for his surrounding cast?  You can't downplay somebody's greatness because of the team.  Ortiz did things in the clutch in the LARGEST STAGE that no other Boston ball player was able to do.......  His pitching staff did not hit the homers VS Mariano...or the Homer vs Verlander etc...... 

Ted's the man when it comes to hitting.....no doubt, always will be.  However Ortiz is the best basbeall CHAMPION this city has seen......I'll take the rings.  Again...that's just me...... your opinion may vary and that's fine....that's why sports are so great!  Either way....this is a great 'problem' to have!!!!

[/QUOTE]

Because of his team (and himself), Ortiz had the opportunity to shine in the playoffs. Williams did not.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from ATJ. Show ATJ's posts

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

Only those who never saw Russ play would overlook him.  I think Brady is off the charts outstanding but for me, Russ will always be the greatest ever to play in Boston regardless of the sport.

[/QUOTE]

I think Bird and Ortiz fall into the same category. They will be liked by younger guys who didn't see Russell or Williams. But, great as Bird/Ortiz are, they simply are not as great as Williams/Russell if you saw them play.

My choice of the greatest of them all would be Orr. He simply was so much better than everybody else in his game. Bobby Orr was the phenom of all phenoms in my view. He led the league in scoring as a defenseman in a lower scoring era. Insane. The guy would just twitch and leave good hockey players in the dust. His dominance seemed effortless.

[/QUOTE]

Babe, I can't argue with your choice; Orr was great.  Bobby just isn't mine.   On the other hand, I have disclosed on more than one occasion on this baord that Russ was my idol growing up and I have zero objectivity with respect to him.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from BabeParilli. Show BabeParilli's posts

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

Babe, I can't argue with your choice; Orr was great.  Bobby just isn't mine.   On the other hand, I have disclosed on more than one occasion on this baord that Russ was my idol growing up and I have zero objectivity with respect to him.

[/QUOTE]

Why was he your idol ATJ?

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from portfolio1. Show portfolio1's posts

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

In response to SLGDEV's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

Where are they today?  Where are the complaints about him staring down Gronkowski?  Where are the posts about his inaccruacy?  Where are all of the posts from all of the people who hate Tom Brady?  Where are the posts about the Pats abandoning the run?  Where are the posts about Brady looking to pad his stats?  Where are the posts about the shotgun?  Where are the posts about his leadership?

Nowhere to be seen. 

Let's keep it that way.

Tom Brady is the greatest player in Patriots history, one of the greatest in NFL history and one of the greatest players in Boston sports history.  He could easily stand beside Larry Bird, Ted Williams and Bobby Orr and not be out of place one bit.

Add Ortiz to that short list......3 time WS champ who lead the Sox in dramatic fashion in all 3.  Something no other Sox player did in modern history....including Ted.....

As much as we love him and what he did, Ortiz is not in the same league as Williams, Bird, Orr and Brady.  Yes, from a later post, I wouldinclude Russel in that list.  Ortiz is not a unanimous, no questions ask, first round inductee into a Hall of Fame.  I haven't looked up whether Williams, Bird and Orr were, but I would be very surprised if they weren't.  Ortiz may not even make it ever.

[/QUOTE]

Well......let's wait and see then.  If Ortiz is a first ballot HOF'r then maybe he'll get his due.  I'll take Ortiz's 3 rings over Ted's first ballot ANYDAY....but that's me. 

[/QUOTE]

Williams never had the pitching on his teams that Ortiz has had.

[/QUOTE]

You really can't use that argument....... what if Bird didn't have Parrish and McHale?  What if Russell didn't have pretty much an entire roster of Hall of Famers for his surrounding cast?  You can't downplay somebody's greatness because of the team.  Ortiz did things in the clutch in the LARGEST STAGE that no other Boston ball player was able to do.......  His pitching staff did not hit the homers VS Mariano...or the Homer vs Verlander etc...... 

Ted's the man when it comes to hitting.....no doubt, always will be.  However Ortiz is the best basbeall CHAMPION this city has seen......I'll take the rings.  Again...that's just me...... your opinion may vary and that's fine....that's why sports are so great!  Either way....this is a great 'problem' to have!!!!

[/QUOTE]

I get all the positives but Russell, Orr, Teddy, Bird, TB... these guys are not JUST HOFs, they are in the conversation for the VERY BEST of all time at what they did. Ortiz has been  great and clutch and fun. But he is clearly not of the celestial caliber as those five. IF you want you cna include Babe Ruth who won a few championships here in Boston.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from HailToTheKing. Show HailToTheKing's posts

In response to portfolio1's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

Where are they today?  Where are the complaints about him staring down Gronkowski?  Where are the posts about his inaccruacy?  Where are all of the posts from all of the people who hate Tom Brady?  Where are the posts about the Pats abandoning the run?  Where are the posts about Brady looking to pad his stats?  Where are the posts about the shotgun?  Where are the posts about his leadership?

Nowhere to be seen. 

Let's keep it that way.

Add Ortiz to that short list......3 time WS champ who lead the Sox in dramatic fashion in all 3.  Something no other Sox player did in modern history....including Ted.....

[/QUOTE]

As much as we love him and what he did, Ortiz is not in the same league as Williams, Bird, Orr and Brady.  Yes, from a later post, I wouldinclude Russel in that list.  Ortiz is not a unanimous, no questions ask, first round inductee into a Hall of Fame.  I haven't looked up whether Williams, Bird and Orr were, but I would be very surprised if they weren't.  Ortiz may not even make it ever.

[/QUOTE]

Well......let's wait and see then.  If Ortiz is a first ballot HOF'r then maybe he'll get his due.  I'll take Ortiz's 3 rings over Ted's first ballot ANYDAY....but that's me. 

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

I get all the positives but Russell, Orr, Teddy, Bird, TB... these guys are not JUST HOFs, they are in the conversation for the VERY BEST of all time at what they did. Ortiz has been  great and clutch and fun. But he is clearly not of the celestial caliber as those five. IF you want you cna include Babe Ruth who won a few championships here in Boston.

[/QUOTE]

Well......one could argue that Ortiz IS in the conversation for the best of all time for what he does.  He's called on to be the anchor of the lineup and provide the pop and clutch hits.  Name a player in his era or in the last 60 years for that matter that has come up time and time again and delivered not only the big hit....but SOMETHING when he was called upon?  Sure there have been better HR hitter....and some that have hit for more average and RBI's.....same is true with the aforementioned players.  Where Ortiz sets himself from the current crop of players in MLB and those in the last several year is his ability to perform when he is needed......and THAT is what makes him one of the best at what HE does alltime.

Seriously think of another ballplayer that has done what he has done in the stretch of 10 years at the plate........how many REALLY comes to mind?  I bet that number is a lot smaller than you think.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from BabeParilli. Show BabeParilli's posts

[QUOTE]

I get all the positives but Russell, Orr, Teddy, Bird, TB... these guys are not JUST HOFs, they are in the conversation for the VERY BEST of all time at what they did. 

[/QUOTE]

This is an excellent point.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from BabeParilli. Show BabeParilli's posts

[QUOTE]

Well......one could argue that Ortiz IS in the conversation for the best of all time for what he does.

[/QUOTE]

Not many people are going to make that argument.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from ATJ. Show ATJ's posts

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

Why was he your idol ATJ?

[/QUOTE]

Babe, there were several things about Russ that made me admire his work:

1)  The way he could take control of any given game even when he didn't score many points.  He was an incredibly smart basketball player; I can't ever recall seeing him do anything dum;

2)  The intensity he brought to the game every time he set foot on it.  He was about as clutch as they come;

3)  The extraordinary athleticism that he demonstrated in what he did.  For example, I can't tell you the number of times I witnessed him block a shot (never swatted it; tipped it up with his finger tips), grab the ball out of the air, turn and fire an outlet pass to begin the fast break.  All of that seemingly in one motion;

4) The way he could adapt his game to bring to the court that which was needed to win.  For example, Russ was never known as a great scorer yet in one playoff game against the Knicks he noted that they never doubled him but were doubling the Celtics shooters when they touched the ball.  Russ proceeded to drop 40 points on 'em and grab 20 boards.

5) And finally, his unrelenting will to win.  He did not care if he scorred a single point so long as the Celts won the game.  He was the ultimate team player.

Pretty much sums it up.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from HailToTheKing. Show HailToTheKing's posts

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

Well......one could argue that Ortiz IS in the conversation for the best of all time for what he does.

[/QUOTE]

Not many people are going to make that argument.

[/QUOTE]

I just did in that post you took one line from.  Feel free to read it and explain to me why I'm wrong.  Debates are not a bad thing.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from ATJ. Show ATJ's posts

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

I get all the positives but Russell, Orr, Teddy, Bird, TB... these guys are not JUST HOFs, they are in the conversation for the VERY BEST of all time at what they did. 

[/QUOTE]

This is an excellent point.

[/QUOTE]

It most certainly is.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from ATJ. Show ATJ's posts

Dupe deleted.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from AZPAT. Show AZPAT's posts

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

Whenever discussing the NBA with younger guys, they don't seem to want to understand that the NBA was around BEFORE MJ and Lebron. Even Bird and Magic. I will always tell 'em that if I was starting a team today, and I could have ANY player as a #1 pick, I'd take Russell. He made the other team change their games. I was lucky to see him in his prime. Watching him and Wilt go at it was far better than anything the NBA can offer today in it's "3 pointer and forget about defense" league. Heck! I'd stack up most of Red's teams against today's teams! All that "earth shaking athleticism" wouldn't matter a hill of beans if they couldn't get a sniff of the rim. Buit, Russella dn Bird made their teams better.

Orr was a once in a lifetime phenom that we'll probably never see again. He totally revolutio innaized the game while he lasted. And he did it so effortlessly, so it seems, with grace.

Plus, you've got to be absolutely nuts NOT to include Papi on this list. Without him, there'd be no Sox championships. Plain and simple, and that's a fact. Neither Ted or Yaz won one. But, I'd add Ted because he'd carry a team, no matter how good or bad it was. He was great. Yaz not so much. He was more consistent and longevity got him into the HOF.  

Right now, Brady would be the ONLY Patriot I'd list (BB gets the nod for coach, along with Red, but that's a short list). Sinden won two Cups, but did nothing after Orr met his knee downfall. No Sox manager gets in, but Tito gets Honorable Mention. (Naysayers will argue his handlign of pitchers, situational baseball, etc). No one will ever dispute Red or BB.    

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from trouts. Show trouts's posts

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

Nowhere to be seen. 

Let's keep it that way.

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]No but he had a number of excellent teammates including Johnny Pesky, Vern Stepens, Bobby Doerr, and Dom Dimaggio. I put Ortiz in the conversation because the Sox have won 3 WS with him and, with due respect for Edgar, you can make the case that he is the greatest DH of all time.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from trouts. Show trouts's posts

[QUOTE]

Nowhere to be seen. 

Let's keep it that way.

[/QUOTE] The ommission of Bill Russell seems pretty glaring to me. He won 2 NCAA Champioships, an Olympic Gold Medal and 11 NBA Crowns. He revolutionized the game by bringing fast-break basketball to the NBA and even brought along his teammate KC Jones from the San Francisco Dons to play with him on the Celtics. I think Russell has to be included in your pantheon of greatest players in Boston sports' history. 

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from rkarp. Show rkarp's posts

In response to nomadfan's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Loved Brady's crazy eyes, meathead freak-out meet up with Gronk after the TD that put the score at 24-21. What passion!

[/QUOTE]

the crazy eyes and going after the refs for not pulling out the flag on the Thompkins PI...

Did anyone catch if TB was fined last week for the runway "discussion" with the refs?

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from mthurl. Show mthurl's posts

I'm glad this thread was made (hats off). What we witnessed last night was one man putting a entire team on his shoulders and winning it against a team that is supposed to have the best quarterback on it (that's all I keep hearing lately). Despite getting pummeled every time he dropped back in the first half...and our backs trying to virtually give the game away, he went out there and won that thing. Mind you this was a game that Denver absolutely pounded that football down our throat...and mind you this was in a driving wind of 30 mph...didn't matter, the guy is the best. Period.

To think super moron goes around here all day calling this guy out!? He probably sat at home until 4 am trying to think of ways to convince people that Hightower or our running game won it for us. lmao! Moron.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from pezz4pats. Show pezz4pats's posts

In response to rkarp's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

Loved Brady's crazy eyes, meathead freak-out meet up with Gronk after the TD that put the score at 24-21. What passion!

[/QUOTE]

the crazy eyes and going after the refs for not pulling out the flag on the Thompkins PI...

Did anyone catch if TB was fined last week for the runway "discussion" with the refs?

[/QUOTE]

Tom Brady and Rob Gronkowski Yell at Each Other to Celebrate Touchdown

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from ghostofjri37. Show ghostofjri37's posts

In response to pezz4pats' comment:
    [QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

Tom Brady and Rob Gronkowski Yell at Each Other to Celebrate Touchdown

[/QUOTE]

Just Tom communicating with Gronk in Gronk's native language.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from agcsbill. Show agcsbill's posts

In response to rkarp's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

That would have happened last week when the league announces all fines.  Nothing, right?

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from garytx. Show garytx's posts

[QUOTE]

Nowhere to be seen. 

Let's keep it that way.

[/QUOTE]

First off big guy back off.  You call 'em as you see 'em.  Brady did stink.  But you know what?  He's playing better now.  It happens!  it really does!  People have bad games for what ever reason.  Then they get straightened out.  How can one be critical of his play when he plays well?  And I hate to break your heart but Bird, Williams and Orr had poor games too.  I remember when the fans almost boo'd Yaz out of Boston because he had one bad year...that is for Yaz.  

Brady is the best football player the Pats have ever had but he wasn't TB at the beginning of the season.  A lot of people not fans of the Pats noticed this too.  It didn't just happen on this board.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from BabeParilli. Show BabeParilli's posts

In response to garytx's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Brady did stink.

[/QUOTE]

Wrong.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from MoreRings. Show MoreRings's posts

In response to TFB12's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

Lol, awesome