The Colts lost not Manning

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from aussiewill. Show aussiewill's posts

The Colts lost not Manning

The second most valuable player , on the Colts roster is Freeney, full stop. Freeney is the pass rush, the pass rush is the Colts. Injuries are injuries, all teams have them. But to have the premier pass rusher in the NFL at 50% really hurt the Colts. Why is that significant to the discussion? Why because Dwight Freeny is  the main reasons the Colts got as far as they did. the lost All Pro safety, Bob Sanders. Give the Colts some credit here, with the salary cap they bring up young exciting players, the Patriots sign has beens and expect Tom Brady to pull off miracles. Look at the signings and the trades. How about David Thomas for a seventh rd. pick. How about Randle Gay for nothing. Not to mention Seymour and Vrable. The FO of the Patriots left it up to TB coming off a serious injury, and in spite of all the adversity, Burgess, Adalius, Bruski and Harrison retiring, in spite of all that they almost got there. They drafted injured players, last year Tate McKenzie, they get a pass rusher and they will be right there again

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from magicalhobo. Show magicalhobo's posts

Re: The Colts lost not Manning

True, but Manning threw a pick at the worst possible time. It's his responsibility to take care of the ball and he threw a pick six. If he didn't do that he had a chance to tie the game, but he blew it and put the saints up by two scores.

The Saints won the game with superior coaching. Sure, Freeney hurting didn't help the Colts, but they could have tried to game plan around that or have a somewhat decent backup. I don't buy the Bob Sanders bit because he's always hurt and hadn't played on the team in months.

McKenzie wasn't injured when they drafted him. Crable wasn't hurt when he was drafted either. That's either bad luck or bad conditioning, but they didn't draft injured players. Tate was the only injured player I could think of, but if he wasn't injured he would have been a late first round pick.

In a couple years you'll be happy we traded Seymour and Vrabel. They were old and Seymour was on the last year of his contract. He wasn't going to be in NE next year anyways. Chung looks like a decent pick and we have a potential high first rounder in next years draft. When those two are retired and we have good, young players i'm sure you'll think differently.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from crono420. Show crono420's posts

PICK SIX!!!! THAT WAS ALL ON MANNING. WHAT A CHOKER

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from bubthegrub2. Show bubthegrub2's posts

Even without Freeney they still were in that game in the last five minutes. The bottom line is that the #1 offense in the AFC only put up 17 points! They should be able to outscore 24, IMO. Then in the biggest game of the year, Peyton throws a pick six! For two weeks the talking heads were all claiming he should be considered the "best ever" if he won Sunday. But I never saw Joe Montana, Terry Bradshaw, Troy Aikman, or Tom Brady throw a pick at the end of a SB while driving for the winning or tying score! I don't see who else you can hang this on. The bus now has Manning's name on it, he needs to just jump under it! I give the Saints a lot of credit, Brees was more "Manninglike" than Peyton. And they certainly outcoached the Colts. Manning also missed critical passes during the game, especially on 3rd downs. He got the MVP last time, though Addai and/or Rhodes desrved it (actually Rex Grossman was just as valuable to Indy in SB41). He (and the Indy fans) need to man up and admit the truth, though it may hurt! Deion Sanders hit the nail on the head. It came down to which QB "choked", and it certainly wasn't Drew Brees!!!

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from NEGAME. Show NEGAME's posts

Manning was given his 4th MVP because "without him, there wouldn't be a Colts team" according to the media. Not Breese or Farve either of whom deserved it more imo. Peyton Manning, Peyton Manning, Peyton Manning ad nauseam!!!!! I could not have been happier when he threw that pick!!!

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from garytx. Show garytx's posts

aussie - Ease off the panic button fella!  The truth is it takes a while to build a team.  While we were winning SBs the Colts were building.  Now that the Colts are playoff contenders we are in rebuilding mode and still playoff contenders.  The Colts were just a little bit behind the curve.  In truth they have now have peaked.  This is as good as it gets for them.  With Freeney starting to become injury prone I wonder if it's the beginning of an end.

The other guys here had some great points.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from Mungomunro. Show Mungomunro's posts

Pre superbowl hype had Manning the greatest field general  ever.
    He won the MVP because he "is" the Colts. 
    People marveled at how he was both a great QB and the defacto head couch.

Just 3.5 hours later it was a team loss!

I guess  when Manning snubed the post game handshake it was realy a team un-sportsman like conduct.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from m1021us. Show m1021us's posts

This is the great thing about team sports....you win and lose as a team.

But it is funny how everyone was praising Pay-A-Ton's great achievements this year and the great comebacks without praising anyone else.....

Aussie,
    Where were you then?

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from m1021us. Show m1021us's posts

First: 6/5/2008
    Last: 2/10/2010
    Manning was given his 4th MVP because "without him, there wouldn't be a Colts team" according to the media. Not Breese or Farve either of whom deserved it more imo. Peyton Manning, Peyton Manning, Peyton Manning ad nauseam!!!!! I could not have been happier when he threw that pick!!!
    You said it girl!

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from shenanigan. Show shenanigan's posts

The loss wasn't all Manning's fault, but some of it was.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from Evil2010. Show Evil2010's posts

Let's see....football is a team sport so yeah the Colts lost. Lots of them contributed to that loss and one of them is Manning. The better phrase is that the Saints won. This idea that the Colts just had to show up and they would win and that they lost only because they screwed up takes away the credit from what is an excellent all around Saints team

12. This post has been removed.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from underdoggg. Show underdoggg's posts

Shen - you are right on.  The pick six sealed the deal, but IMO, the colts still would have lost.  The D could not stop the Saints O and they would have had plenty of time to get within FG range. 

The colts needed a TD, not a FG, too. 

But there was another issue that I had with Manning in the game, and it had to do with their final drive of the first half.  I don't get the 3 run plays.  Manning should have audibled out of that. 

14. This post has been removed.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from underdoggg. Show underdoggg's posts

patsfansince 1966 is English for dum bass.  LOL

16. This post has been removed.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from m1021us. Show m1021us's posts

In Response to Re: The Colts lost not Manning:
    Shen - you are right on.  The pick six sealed the deal, but IMO, the colts still would have lost.  The D could not stop the Saints O and they would have had plenty of time to get within FG range.  The colts needed a TD, not a FG, too.  But there was another issue that I had with Manning in the game, and it had to do with their final drive of the first half.  I don't get the 3 run plays.  Manning should have audibled out of that. 
    Posted by underdoggg

He should have audibled out of that...but he audibled into it.....

I am wondering if the Colts Cockiness was getting to them....they figured that there would run the clock down, score a TD and get a 2 point conversion to win the game....

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from themightypatriotz. Show themightypatriotz's posts

Colts Defense:  Gave up 24 net points - not great, but not terrible

Manning:  Scored 10 net points (17 for Colts, 7 for Saints) = TERRIBLE

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from themightypatriotz. Show themightypatriotz's posts

Oh, and Saints were 26th ranked pass defense this year.  Way to go MVP!

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from underdoggg. Show underdoggg's posts

m10 - I don't know about cockiness. 

I don't know if Manning audibled into those run plays or not.  Do you?   

And how do you know what the colts would have done?

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from 81pats12. Show 81pats12's posts

here are some facts......http://www.weei.com/sports/boston/football/kerry-byrne/2010/02/10/manning-far-greatest?page=0,0

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from futbal. Show futbal's posts

It looked to me that Manning was feeling the pressure; making faces after the missed field goal; lecturing his disinterested linemen...speculation. But then, he threw three bad passes; not just one...1) the duck when Wayne was open long that could easil have been picked off; 2) another near IT on the rookie CB's side of the field; 3) and of course the actual pick-6. QB is the dominant position in this team sport and while is not the only player to set the tone, more often than not it is the QB that is the leader (or general as referred to above). So in my judgement Manning felt the pressure mentally, which limited his (and to a lesser extent his team's) physical talents. The slang term is he choaked.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from qball369. Show qball369's posts

Underdoggg you can't have it both ways - Peyton can't be the 4 time MVP, including this year, accept that award without crediting his teams contribution to it, then have the press spend a whole week writing about Dwight Freeney, then Manning throwing a game ending pick six when he had the Colts in a position to tie the game, and THEN say that it is a team loss

A true MVP would have gotten in front of the microphone and said "this loss is on me"  - any chance Peyton Manning would do that?

That post game interview was entirely disingenuous as it related the praise Manning gave Porter for the INT - what better way to deflect criticism for a season killing mistake then to act sportsmanly by heaping all the credit on the other guy - although I guess you have to give Manning credit - he has had to answer alot less questions about that choking play than ANYONE else would have had to in similar circumstances

Underdoggg - have you had the chance to read Peter Kings MMQB this week - he devotes a paragraph to Pierre Garcon's dropped pass in the 1st half and never mentions Manning pick six until page 3 of his article - 2 passing comments from him only - SI should be embarrassed by his naked obsession with Manning's infallability - but I am sure he is must reading in Indy

Manning is 9-9 in the post season, that is a large body of work - if he retired today I think we could draw many legitimate conclusions about his career based on this - some that you may not like

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from Cyberknot. Show Cyberknot's posts

Manning nailed the coffin shut with the Colts inside, then tossed it under the bus by blaming the defense and special teams. Oh, and then wasn't man enough to congratulate the winning team. Class all the way.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from J.Bolt. Show J.Bolt's posts

let me see-

Throw a pick returned to the house, down by 14
    Throw a TD, tie score  

nope

it was his fault more then anybody else