The competition at the wide receiver position

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from TripleOG. Show TripleOG's posts

Re: The competition at the wide receiver position

In response to APpats21's comment:

In response to BassFishingII's comment:

Yes, I realize this is a fan site, but clearly MANY fans know that BB doesn't pigeonhole himself in using one base style of offense. I can keep looking for anyalysis from other sources because they'e just so easy to find because it's you know, sort of well known?!! lmao

"Since Belichick has become head coach they have featured a pass first west coast offense, a run to set-up the pass offense, a spread attack and even an “Air-Raid” style offense in the vain of the great Mike Leach offenses of Texas Tech. With a quarterback as smart as Tom Brady, it has rarely mattered what offense they run. It’s simply a matter of running the right offense that play to the strengths of the pieces around Brady. For example, when the Patriots had Corey Dillon, they leaned heavily on him for 1,600 yards rushing and used his play to open up the offense for Tom Brady’s passing game."

http://www.bostonsbettah.com/?p=3137

HAHAHAHAHAHA youre using this as a source to back it up? Guess who writes it? "Millenial that probably still lives in mommy and daddy's basement". Good ole Chris Bentivegna from Southborough, MA. Usually youll say that he knows nothing and is arrogant for think hes smarter than BB but since it fits your agenda you use it and declare it right. He graduated high school in 2009. Funny how that works huh Rusty?

(Chris Bentivegna)

D'oh!

Dang, sorry Rusty. Had  I known you were already owned on this thread by several posters(even Wozzy who used to have your back) I would not have piled on, but alas you have been banned again. No worries, just dust off one of the ol' backups and come back stronger with re-inforced lies eh?  What a wonderful Life!  lol

Funny how only redsoxfan is in your corner now. You shouldnt play with fire near bridges. You seem to have just about burnt them all down.....smh @ you.......ALL over TFB! Was it really worth it? I mean the guy doesnt even know you.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from sportsbozo1. Show sportsbozo1's posts

When does Rusty play WR for the Patriots? As this thread was originally about the competition at WR position I thought maybe some where along the way Rusty was signed to a contract... The competition at WR should be wide ranging as it hasn't been this stacked and diverse in a long time. I really like the repetitive sizes and speed of each position in the WR groupings. At SWR you have three white guys who are all about the same size 5'10- 5'11.5,each guy weighs close to 200 lbs and each one has an atribute different from the other: Amendola is faster in a straight line than the other two and has more experience. Edelman has the advantage having been the only one of the three who has even caught a pass from TB and he's an ellusive runner once he catches the ball. The Sleeper is Moe this guy is a lunch pail slot receiver who catches everything thrown his way,he also has better lateral speed than either of the other two guys,he litterally has ankle breaking moves,kind of like using the crossover dribble in basketball. You can't chase a receiver if he just made you break your own ankles. Heck even the other potential SWR's Boyce and Hawkins are different types of flankers (sorry for the old school reference to the position) these guys are burners and in the case of Boyce he's thick you aren't bringing him down with an arm tackle. The other WR X and Z types are just the same situation with different names Jones is an excellent guy for the X he runs the routes he's been assigned and is a red zone nightmare! Don't sell Mollassas Mike short and at 6'4" you can't! He's not fast anymore but what he lacks in speed he makes up for in size and smarts. Next comes the rookies. Though I've already mentioned Boyce he's the fastest of the rookies and has some decent size at 6'0 200+ lbs. In OTA's today they were running deep routes too bad Boyce wasn't out there,however Dobson was and the rook makes the highlight reel catches and drops the one where he is wide open all alone! Another rookie that wasn't on the field is Harrison and then there is Hakeem Aikens another 6'2 WR there are no tweener WR's on this team,I think BB has adopted the no more midget receivers allowed. Exception to the rule might be Deion in a pinch... This will be a battle for a job! Vini,Vidi,Vici sure hope they all speak latin!!!

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from sportsbozo1. Show sportsbozo1's posts

In response to sportsbozo1's comment:

When does Rusty play WR for the Patriots? As this thread was originally about the competition at WR position I thought maybe some where along the way Rusty was signed to a contract... The competition at WR should be wide ranging as it hasn't been this stacked and diverse in a long time. I really like the repetitive sizes and speed of each position in the WR groupings. At SWR you have three white guys who are all about the same size 5'10- 5'11.5,each guy weighs close to 200 lbs and each one has an atribute different from the other: Amendola is faster in a straight line than the other two and has more experience. Edelman has the advantage having been the only one of the three who has even caught a pass from TB and he's an ellusive runner once he catches the ball. The Sleeper is Moe this guy is a lunch pail slot receiver who catches everything thrown his way,he also has better lateral speed than either of the other two guys,he litterally has ankle breaking moves,kind of like using the crossover dribble in basketball. You can't chase a receiver if he just made you break your own ankles. Heck even the other potential SWR's Boyce and Hawkins are different types of flankers (sorry for the old school reference to the position) these guys are burners and in the case of Boyce he's thick you aren't bringing him down with an arm tackle. The other WR X and Z types are just the same situation with different names Jones is an excellent guy for the X he runs the routes he's been assigned and is a red zone nightmare! Don't sell Mollassas Mike short and at 6'4" you can't! He's not fast anymore but what he lacks in speed he makes up for in size and smarts. Next comes the rookies. Though I've already mentioned Boyce he's the fastest of the rookies and has some decent size at 6'0 200+ lbs. In OTA's today they were running deep routes too bad Boyce wasn't out there,however Dobson was and the rook makes the highlight reel catches and drops the one where he is wide open all alone! Another rookie that wasn't on the field is Harrison and then there is Hakeem Aikens another 6'2 WR there are no tweener WR's on this team,I think BB has adopted the no more midget receivers allowed. Exception to the rule might be Deion in a pinch... This will be a battle for a job! Vini,Vidi,Vici sure hope they all speak latin!!!

Idk why but this post got me even more pumped for atleast the preseason to start! Bring on some football! Everyone is stir crazy here.

You should be pumped this is the best squad BB has ever put together! Also on the heels of hearing Gronk is going to have yet another surgery this time on his back,now under normal conditions that would be cause for concern, but these are not normal conditions. BB made sure he was covered just in case of some freak injury or delayal of Gronks return! Ballard, Fells, Hooman and the two rookies Sudfeld (who was a beast at Nevada,and a Red zone monster)and Ford who was no slouch catching the ball in the passing limited Clemson offense. BB has spent the offseason covering all bases! The best news from todays OTA's: Ras I Dowling was the guy everyone thought he would be when he was drafted....99 days and counting! 

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from Coco40038. Show Coco40038's posts

Ap you really like Moe don't you? I hope he makes the team ankle breaker or not gotta learn that play book. 

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from mthurl. Show mthurl's posts

In response to rkarp's comment:

It seems nerve wracking and a bit far fetched to think a SB contender is relying on 2 rookies, 2 UDFA, a couple of retreads and 2 injury prone players as the WR's for the most prolific QB and passing game in NFL history. Past history dictates this simply won't work. Lets hope history doesn't repeat itself

It's "nerve wracking" that we have Gronk, Ballard and Hern as the best TE group in the entire NFL, Amendola as a veteran  with Michael Jenkins as another proven vet, nice RBs here with experience and full camp together again, with literally 10 other WRs for 2 spots?

This is "nerve wracking"?

Our passing game has SUCKED in the postseason, so I am pretty sure what it was more "nerve wracking" is our older WRs in previous postseasons not playing very well with Tom Brady leading his preferred shotgun spread.

THAT's what is "nerve wracking".  What's nerve wracking is when I get that pit in my stomach in the first half because we leave points on the board and never established a proper run game to draw in the LBs from the middle of the field, as we then continue to see our QB only look at the same two receiving options for 40+ times, as if it's a race to get to 40 passes in a lower scoring game.

THAT is what is "nerve wracking" because I know it won't work.

I am THRILLED to see a clear change in approach like this, forcing Brady to get his head back to straight, get back to basics and force him to develop a rapport with EVERYONE in camp, instead of throwing 5 yard passes to Wes Welker, Gronk and Hern all summer.

Thank you, BB. Thank you.  Finally the plug has been pulled and we can move on from a failed, finesse shotgun spread base.

You can arfgue with the entire BDC community on labeling the Pats offense, however you are as nutty as ever if you think this WR group is "loaded"...I can agree that Amendola is a very good WR. I dont think Jenkins makes the final cut. I also have little faith in rookie WR's in general. So you seem to be counting on Jones, Hawkins and Edelman to outperform their norm.

I agree with you, on paper, the TE's look great. But, if Gronk is PUP'd, and Hern has his usual assortment of injuries, Ballard is not a strong enough TE to carry the load...

Can you also point out other than the SB and AFCCCG when this offense left you with a pit in your stomache? Granted, the team has not played well offensively or defensively in those games, and has been outcoached in those games. But in the past 5 years, other than 2-5 games, when has this offense left you with a pit in your stomache over the course of over 80 games? 

Heading into last training camp Rusty called our wide receiver position "the best we have ever had"...I'm serious. This was because we signed Gaffney. LOL!!

6. This post has been removed.

7. This post has been removed.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from mthurl. Show mthurl's posts

In response to CliffordWasHere's comment:

In response to mthurl's comment:

It seems nerve wracking and a bit far fetched to think a SB contender is relying on 2 rookies, 2 UDFA, a couple of retreads and 2 injury prone players as the WR's for the most prolific QB and passing game in NFL history. Past history dictates this simply won't work. Lets hope history doesn't repeat itself

It's "nerve wracking" that we have Gronk, Ballard and Hern as the best TE group in the entire NFL, Amendola as a veteran  with Michael Jenkins as another proven vet, nice RBs here with experience and full camp together again, with literally 10 other WRs for 2 spots?

Our passing game has SUCKED in the postseason, so I am pretty sure what it was more "nerve wracking" is our older WRs in previous postseasons not playing very well with Tom Brady leading his preferred shotgun spread.

THAT's what is "nerve wracking".  What's nerve wracking is when I get that pit in my stomach in the first half because we leave points on the board and never established a proper run game to draw in the LBs from the middle of the field, as we then continue to see our QB only look at the same two receiving options for 40+ times, as if it's a race to get to 40 passes in a lower scoring game.

I am THRILLED to see a clear change in approach like this, forcing Brady to get his head back to straight, get back to basics and force him to develop a rapport with EVERYONE in camp, instead of throwing 5 yard passes to Wes Welker, Gronk and Hern all summer.

Thank you, BB. Thank you.  Finally the plug has been pulled and we can move on from a failed, finesse shotgun spread base.

You can arfgue with the entire BDC community on labeling the Pats offense, however you are as nutty as ever if you think this WR group is "loaded"...I can agree that Amendola is a very good WR. I dont think Jenkins makes the final cut. I also have little faith in rookie WR's in general. So you seem to be counting on Jones, Hawkins and Edelman to outperform their norm.

I agree with you, on paper, the TE's look great. But, if Gronk is PUP'd, and Hern has his usual assortment of injuries, Ballard is not a strong enough TE to carry the load...

Can you also point out other than the SB and AFCCCG when this offense left you with a pit in your stomache? Granted, the team has not played well offensively or defensively in those games, and has been outcoached in those games. But in the past 5 years, other than 2-5 games, when has this offense left you with a pit in your stomache over the course of over 80 games? 

Heading into last training camp Rusty called our wide receiver position "the best we have ever had"...I'm serious. This was because we signed Gaffney. LOL!!

The best? Hardly. I would have said that about 2004 or 2007's corps. Most experienced in this system, yes, probably it was.

You're a terrible liar. Not as bad as Phat Rex, but awfully close.

I'm not lying, you said it. It was on one of your typical Brady bashing rants, you said it was the best wide receiver core we have ever had. It was a foolish statement, but nothing for you. If I was you I'd delete my account and come back as someone with a totally different slant on things, then you can kind of ease your way back into your old annoying self...wait, you do that all the time.

9. This post has been removed.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from mthurl. Show mthurl's posts

The best? Hardly. I would have said that about 2004 or 2007's corps. Most experienced in this system, yes, probably it was.

You're a terrible liar. Not as bad as Phat Rex, but awfully close.

I'm not lying, you said it. It was on one of your typical Brady bashing rants, you said it was the best wide receiver core we have ever had. It was a foolish statement, but nothing for you. If I was you I'd delete my account and come back as someone with a totally different slant on things, then you can kind of ease your way back into your old annoying self...wait, you do that all the time.

You claim I say all these things all the time, but what you do, which is what trolls do, is you change one word to make it seem like I said something else totally different.

The best example was when I said Meriweather was apparently considered the 2nd best FS in the AFC because he was a reserve behind Weddle TWO YEARS in a row, so it's obvious SOMEONE thought he wasn't as bad as you and your tool buddies claim he was.

That's not me saying "He's the 2nd best FS In the AFC".

You're a sneak and a disgrace. It's disturbing you teach kids.  If we only knew where you taught, I'd submit your childish posts to the higher ups and have you removed.  No teacher teaching kids should be this pathetic a human being.

I probably said it was the deepest and most experienced set of WRs Brady has had in camp in his career, which is pretty much true with Welker, Branch, Lloyd, Stallworth and Gaffney.

You were one of those morons whining like a little girl for years pining for Gaffney after he went to Denver, which is what makes this so hilarious.

See here's your problem...you lie. Four years ago when I used to read this board (without having an account) I was reading the same stuff from you....back and forth exchanges between you and someone else, with them accusing you of saying all these things. You'd deny everything and call them liars...they'd call you a liar. The truth is it's you.

You did too say we "had the best receiving core we've ever had" heading into last training camp. It was a ridiculous statement at the time and I called you out on it right away. You just came back and listed all the players, their skill sets and said there was no more excuses for Brady. You were way off base then...and now.

You're kind of sad.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from Coco40038. Show Coco40038's posts

Well AP I'll be watching out for him. I like the vets but I think we need fresh legs, hopefully they learn this offens. 

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from Paul_K. Show Paul_K's posts

As for the actual competition, Dobson is winning so far.  He still has to work out a huge number of rookie mistakes, but he's also showing off. 

As a rule, if they leave Dobson alone with a moderately tiny cornerback, preferably with Kyle Mini-Me Wilson of the Jets, Brady will throw it up and both players will have an equal chance of catching the ball, assuming that the cornerback is wearing stilts. 

Amendola is so far as advertised.  Brady is firing accurate bullets.  Mark Sanchez isn't.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from Coco40038. Show Coco40038's posts

In response to Paul_K's comment:

As for the actual competition, Dobson is winning so far.  He still has to work out a huge number of rookie mistakes, but he's also showing off. 

As a rule, if they leave Dobson alone with a moderately tiny cornerback, preferably with Kyle Mini-Me Wilson of the Jets, Brady will throw it up and both players will have an equal chance of catching the ball, assuming that the cornerback is wearing stilts. 

Amendola is so far as advertised.  Brady is firing accurate bullets.  Mark Sanchez isn't.

+1

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsEng. Show PatsEng's posts

Idk why but this post got me even more pumped for atleast the preseason to start! Bring on some football! Everyone is stir crazy here.

You should be pumped this is the best squad BB has ever put together! Also on the heels of hearing Gronk is going to have yet another surgery this time on his back,now under normal conditions that would be cause for concern, but these are not normal conditions. BB made sure he was covered just in case of some freak injury or delayal of Gronks return! Ballard, Fells, Hooman and the two rookies Sudfeld (who was a beast at Nevada,and a Red zone monster)and Ford who was no slouch catching the ball in the passing limited Clemson offense. BB has spent the offseason covering all bases! The best news from todays OTA's: Ras I Dowling was the guy everyone thought he would be when he was drafted....99 days and counting! 

I wouldn't go that far, I mean the 04' squad was pretty dominating. I must say though that the shear amount of competitions in the years camps is going to be great to watch. I'm actually really excited to see what the kids can do. Much better then some of the previous camps where you could pick up 45 players on the roster day 1, this year there is actually a lot of battles

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from TripleOG. Show TripleOG's posts

I agree with this. Only thing tempering my excitement is the fact they are all young and still have to learn the system, but I absolutely agree with the versatility and explosiveness on paper and if it works out similar to 03 when we had Branch, Givens, Brown, Patten all making significant contributions this offense will once again be too unpredictable to stop. Maybe with an even playing field and no Binkies, we can spread the ball and keep defenses off balance. Thats the plan I hope!

16. This post has been removed.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from portfolio1. Show portfolio1's posts

You lie!

No. You lie.

No... YOU lie.

NOOOOO. YOUUUUUU lie.

LIAR!

NO. you... lie.

You're the liar. YOU.

OH no... you ... are ... the ... liar...

Liar.

Oh ye?

Ye...

liar....

liar...

LIA

liar...

LI - AH

hold on ... lets finish this latter.... I gotta go...

Oh... OK...

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from TripleOG. Show TripleOG's posts

In response to portfolio1's comment:

You lie!

No. You lie.

No... YOU lie.

NOOOOO. YOUUUUUU lie.

LIAR!

NO. you... lie.

You're the liar. YOU.

Liar.

Oh ye?

Ye...

liar....

liar...

LIA

liar...

LI - AH

Oh... OK...

pretty much....lol

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsFanVA33. Show PatsFanVA33's posts

Just saw a tweet that TJ Moe's been waived/released due to injury...so much for that!!!

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsFanVA33. Show PatsFanVA33's posts

In response to PatsFanVA33's comment:

Just saw a tweet that TJ Moe's been waived/released due to injury...so much for that!!!

Yeah that stinks...

Yea, was hoping to see what he could do...doesn't mean he won't be back!

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from Coco40038. Show Coco40038's posts

Ap you must be pissed. 

22. This post has been removed.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from zbellino. Show zbellino's posts

In response to portfolio1's comment:

You lie!

No. You lie.

No... YOU lie.

NOOOOO. YOUUUUUU lie.

LIAR!

NO. you... lie.

You're the liar. YOU.

Liar.

Oh ye?

Ye...

liar....

liar...

LIA

liar...

LI - AH

Oh... OK...

lol. 

No truth teller yoooouuuu!

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from zbellino. Show zbellino's posts

I think they will probably try to stash him ... I'm usualy not interested in UDFAs, they are so bottom of the barrel, but he had the physical attributes to really contribute here.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from portfolio1. Show portfolio1's posts

I think if he doesnt get by untouched we keep tabs on him in case he is cut by someone. If so the result would be the same... practice squad....