The final word on "balance".

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from BabeParilli. Show BabeParilli's posts

The final word on "balance".

In 2012 we ran 1.3 times more per quarter than in 2011, but we had 1.7 more plays per quarter than in 2011.

We actually passed more in 2012 than 2011.

In 2012 we ran 43% of the time. In 2011 we  ran 40% of the time.

3% - That's once in every 34 plays.

Our running was a little more effective so we ran a little more.

So much for the myth that our balance dramatically changed.

2. This post has been removed.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from agcsbill. Show agcsbill's posts

Re: The final word on

I just posted something about a shift in philosophy detailing how many more rushing TDs the Pats have this year compared to years past.  Seems they relied less on passing for TDs, didn't they?

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from dapats1281. Show dapats1281's posts

The biggest thing to me is that this offense still refuses to run against teams that are above average in run defense. 

Against SF and SEA, the Pats tried the run for the first couple of drives, then just got rid of the run game and had Brady throw it 50+ times.

They're more capable of running against below average run defenses though.

5. This post has been removed.

6. This post has been removed.

7. This post has been removed.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from provpats. Show provpats's posts

In response to bobbysu's comment:
    [QUOTE]

All I know we had games like the Cards and Seattle where it was not even close on balance.

46 pass attempts, 28 rush attempts, Arizona. 58 pass attempts, and 26 rushing attempts, in Seattle. Heck in the 49's game we passed 65 times and ran only 24 times. I cant beleive these stats.

[/QUOTE]

being behind 31-3 had nothing to do with the balance did it?

9. This post has been removed.

10. This post has been removed.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from garytx. Show garytx's posts

The run is important to this offense and I like how it was used this year.  But the opposition fears Brady not who the Pats have as RB.  Defenses work on how to upset Brady, not the RB.  To some degree you can point your finger at the OL.  Runs should work against blitzes or teams with a strong front four but it falls short IMHO.  You don't see safties in on tackles because they are often in coverage.  This gives the RB more room to run.  So if the running game isn't where you think it should be it's because it fails on certain levels.  There is more success in passing.  And it should be this way if you think about it.  Brady, Gronk, Welker and a group of others have this passing game in a very high gear.   

12. This post has been removed.

13. This post has been removed.

14. This post has been removed.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from pcmIV. Show pcmIV's posts

[QUOTE]

I dont know about these stats. No way we ran more in any game this year than passed. I count 91 more passing attempts in just 3 games this year.

[/QUOTE]

Almost every team in the NFL passes more than they run. Complaining that there weren't any games with more rush attempts than passing attempts seems silly to me. 

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from garytx. Show garytx's posts

The game has changed.  Brady is much more accomplished QB.  Gronk and Welker.  Defenses have been handcuffed by rule changes.  Some may argue talent because the Pats have draft late for the past 10 years now. 

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from provpats. Show provpats's posts

[QUOTE]

I dont know about these stats. No way we ran more in any game this year than passed. I count 91 more passing attempts in just 3 games this year.

[/QUOTE]

The stats  this year:  1191 plays from scrimmage, 641 PA, 523 RA; last year 1082 plays from scrimmage, 612 PA, 438 RA.  It is just a lot more plays run this year; better efficiency and better scoringhttp://www.nfl.com/stats/categorystats?archive=true&conference=null&role=TM&offensiveStatisticCategory=TOTAL_YARDS&defensiveStatisticCategory=null&season=2011&seasonType=REG&tabSeq=2&qualified=false&Submit=Go

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from Muzwell. Show Muzwell's posts

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

Hmmm, why don't you just look it up for yourself.

35 rushes/31 passes vs. TEN week 1

40 rushes/38 passes vs. BUF week 4

53 rushes/31 passes vs. DEN week 5

39 rushes/29 passes vs. NYJ week 12

38 rushes/36 passes vs. MIA week 17

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from TripleOG. Show TripleOG's posts

In response to RockScully's comment:
    [QUOTE]

In response to garytx's comment:
    [QUOTE]

The run is important to this offense and I like how it was used this year.  But the opposition fears Brady not who the Pats have as RB.  Defenses work on how to upset Brady, not the RB.  To some degree you can point your finger at the OL.  Runs should work against blitzes or teams with a strong front four but it falls short IMHO.  You don't see safties in on tackles because they are often in coverage.  This gives the RB more room to run.  So if the running game isn't where you think it should be it's because it fails on certain levels.  There is more success in passing.  And it should be this way if you think about it.  Brady, Gronk, Welker and a group of others have this passing game in a very high gear.   

[/QUOTE]

No one really feared our RBs when we won SBs, at least with Antowain SMith. So, what's changed then? Brady wants to throw more?

[/QUOTE]

Dingbat! This is why you are the resident idiot here. Brady was an unkown then and thats why we had so much success. You couldnt key on anyone. We had a decent run game and a decent pass game and a great defense. Brady was just a game manager and in 2002, he couldnt hit the side of a barn, so it wasnt until 2003, that teams actually started to realize how good Brady was because before then, he was just "the backup who got hot"  and then in 03 and 04' he solidified himself with 14-2 back to back seasons and everything he has got since then he has earned because EVERY team has come in and gameplanned for him and THATS why its harder for him to win now despite being a better player. Please learn more football in the offseason and lose that brady agenda and maybe things will be better for you on this board next year.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from pcmIV. Show pcmIV's posts

[QUOTE]

No one really feared our RBs when we won SBs, at least with Antowain SMith. So, what's changed then? Brady wants to throw more?

[/QUOTE]

Brady is a better passer. His receiving options are much better. We run more plays so absolute passing attempts are up. It has already been pointed out that there were SB years such as 2003 where we passed more as a percentage of plays than we do now despite less absolute passing attempts. Stop the conspiracy agenda against Brady. It really is silly.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from ATJ. Show ATJ's posts

Is it ok that I post that I like our offense the way it is without being incinerated cuz I'd like our offense the way it is.  Just sayin'.

22. This post has been removed.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from mthurl. Show mthurl's posts

I'm kind of torn in this balance thing, on one hand I think a balanced offense is the best thing for a team and on the other I don't want to see a team try to be balanced if they can't and lose a game because of it. I think that's where we're at...if we can run it, we will, gladly. If we can't, we won't waste our time trying to bang it into a wall when we don't have a defense that will usually be able to hold good teams down point wise.

The spread is beneficial to a team like ours and a QB like this. Going five wide helps us see what the coverage is and there is so many options for a guy like Brady doing this. You want to blitz him? With who? Who is going to cover a guy like Welker or Gronk when you send that extra guy? Has anyone seen Brady's ability to set his feet quickly and get rid of the ball in a hurry..on the money? This is not Drew Bledsoe we are talking about here - Brady does this stuff better than anyone.

On the other hand play action is good too. With Brady it is very good - he can sell a play action fake as good as anyone. The only problem with play action is that if a defense doesn't feel you can run they won't bite on it and then your QB is left without options. And if your back misses the block (like he did this Sunday) it's over. If the QB fakes the hand off - takes his eyes off the defense, then looks up and sees the guy covered, it can be a problem. You can check down to something minimal or you can take the sack. When it works, it's great.

I think they need to do a couple of things and I think they have tried to do this all year...run it a little better and sell the fakes better. That Houston game this year was a good example of Brady selling fakes. The problem is Houston was beyond dumb to fall for those fakes. I don't think they or any other team will bite like they so stupidly did that night. I mean that was just some dumb dumb dumb football right there...and really that was Houston in a nutshell. Dumb. They had a QB missing a wide open Foster off a Mayo blitz that should of went for an easy touchdown as well.

Against Denver I think we will be able to run it, against Houston I don't think we will. And as dumb as Houston is, I don't think they will fall for those fakes again. So if we are going to beat Houston I think you will see 5 wide...shotgun...hurry up...spread them out football.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from BabeParilli. Show BabeParilli's posts

In response to agcsbill's comment:
    [QUOTE]

I just posted something about a shift in philosophy detailing how many more rushing TDs the Pats have this year compared to years past.  Seems they relied less on passing for TDs, didn't they?

[/QUOTE]

I think you're right. Seems they did try to punch it in from the red zone quite a bit more this year.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from BabeParilli. Show BabeParilli's posts

[QUOTE]

In response to dapats1281's comment:
    [QUOTE]

The biggest thing to me is that this offense still refuses to run against teams that are above average in run defense. 

Against SF and SEA, the Pats tried the run for the first couple of drives, then just got rid of the run game and had Brady throw it 50+ times.

They're more capable of running against below average run defenses though.

[/QUOTE]

It will be the reason we don't win the SB.  Seriously. Just like last year or in SB 42.

[/QUOTE]

Dumbo, we didn't win SB 46 because of Gronk being hurt and a collapsing defense at the endgame. We didn't win SB 42 because of poor O-line play and a collapsing defense at the endgame.

Maybe if we tell you this 1,000,000 more times it might start to sink in.