The Greatest Play Sports Has Ever Seen

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from TexasPat. Show TexasPat's posts

Re: The Greatest Play Sports Has Ever Seen

In response to Muzwell's comment:

I think we confuse great moments with great plays. Some of the "great plays" mentioned weren't all that extraordinary. Home runs are really no big deal, they happen every game for the most part. To me the Vinatieri Snow Bowl kick was notable because it was in a pivotal moment in a huge game, but also because it was an extraordinary feat. Same with Tiger's chip in at Augusta.

On the other hand, Bobby Thompson, Fisk, big moments but not anything remarkable as athletic achievements.

I'd add Kerri Strug's Olympic vault with a broken ankle, huge moment, extraordinary achievement.

Not one play, but Reggie Miller scoring 8 points in 8 seconds to beat the Knicks in the playoffs, Buster Douglas KO of Mike Tyson, Hagler/Hearns, Ali/Foreman.

To me, producing in the clutch advances a homerun to "great play" status. Kirk Gibson hitting his homerun on one leg made his homer special, and turned that series around. Carlton Fisk winning arguably the greatest game in baseball history. 

But, Reggie Miller's 8 points in 8 seconds wasn't "a play". It instead qualifies as a feat...like when Wilt Chamberlain scored 100 points in a game...or when Reggie Jackson hit three homers to clinch the series against the Dodgers in "78...or when Ali did what was thought to be impossible, in knocking out Sonny Liston, and, later, George Foreman.  

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from zbellino. Show zbellino's posts

In response to TexasPat's comment:

In response to Muzwell's comment:

I think we confuse great moments with great plays. Some of the "great plays" mentioned weren't all that extraordinary. Home runs are really no big deal, they happen every game for the most part. To me the Vinatieri Snow Bowl kick was notable because it was in a pivotal moment in a huge game, but also because it was an extraordinary feat. Same with Tiger's chip in at Augusta.

On the other hand, Bobby Thompson, Fisk, big moments but not anything remarkable as athletic achievements.

I'd add Kerri Strug's Olympic vault with a broken ankle, huge moment, extraordinary achievement.

Not one play, but Reggie Miller scoring 8 points in 8 seconds to beat the Knicks in the playoffs, Buster Douglas KO of Mike Tyson, Hagler/Hearns, Ali/Foreman.

To me, producing in the clutch advances a homerun to "great play" status. Kirk Gibson hitting his homerun on one leg made his homer special, and turned that series around. Carlton Fisk winning arguably the greatest game in baseball history. 

But, Reggie Miller's 8 points in 8 seconds wasn't "a play". It instead qualifies as a feat...like when Wilt Chamberlain scored 100 points in a game...or when Reggie Jackson hit three homers to clinch the series against the Dodgers in "78...or when Ali did what was thought to be impossible, in knocking out Sonny Liston, and, later, George Foreman.  

It is kind of wonky. Kind of like calling Dimaggio's streak the greatest play ... it's really possibly the greatest feat in sports history, but it's not a play, nor is Miller's. 

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from anonymis. Show anonymis's posts

For that time era, I'd say the most dramatic event might be Carlton Fisk's home run in the 6th game of the 1975 World Series vs. Reds.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from TFB12. Show TFB12's posts

One play, one moment there could be many in boxing.  That come from behind one punch KO.  I was just a little guy but I clearly remember seeing John Tate, WBA HW Champ, make his first title defense against Mike Weaver.  Weaver was getting beat the entire fight and landed a one punch knockout at 2:15 of the 15th round to win the HW title.  Tate was knocked out cold by 1 punch, losing his title. 

Or how about the solid overhand right from Thomas Hearns to knock out Roberto Duran cold.  Man, so many in boxing.  I could be here all day talking about boxing, lol!

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from TexasPat. Show TexasPat's posts

In response to TFB12's comment:

One play, one moment there could be many in boxing.  That come from behind one punch KO.  I was just a little guy but I clearly remember seeing John Tate, WBA HW Champ, make his first title defense against Mike Weaver.  Weaver was getting beat the entire fight and landed a one punch knockout at 2:15 of the 15th round to win the HW title.  Tate was knocked out cold by 1 punch, losing his title. 

Or how about the solid overhand right from Thomas Hearns to knock out Roberto Duran cold.  Man, so many in boxing.  I could be here all day talking about boxing, lol!

There was also that one punch, 10th round knockout by George Foreman, to win the heavyweight title at age 45, from southpaw Michael Moorer. Moorer was beating the tar out of Foreman for the entire fight...until Big George connected with a straight right, knocking Moorer into the middle of next week: http://articles.philly.com/1994-11-07/sports/25868353_1_oldest-heavyweight-big-george-punch

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from zbellino. Show zbellino's posts

To bring it back to the old NFL:

How about Lynn Swann's 53 yard juggler in SB X?

He basically took that game over recording 161 yards and a TD on just four terrific catches .... but none of his catches, including the 64 yard TD would be come as iconic of his excellence with the Steelers as that 3rd and 6 circus-style reception in a close game on the NFL's biggest stage.

Here is an excellent photo, and a video to boot. They've listed it as 5th best, but the ones ahead of it are not in the SB or are much flukier (Franco Harris & David Tyree for instance). 

For grandness of the moment, plus total athletic performance on the play, I'd say this deserves some mention. 

http://youtu.be/EgYhrakucLk?t=2m28s

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from TexasPat. Show TexasPat's posts

In response to zbellino's comment:

He basically took that game over .... but none of his catches, including the 64 yard TD will be as memorable as this big time 3rd and 6 reception in a close game on the NFL's biggest stage.

Here is an excellent photo, and a video to boot. They've listed it as 5th best, but the ones ahead of it are not in the SB or are much flukier (Franco Harris & David Tyree for instance). 

For grandness of the moment, plus total athletic performance on the play, I'd say this deserves some mention. 

Certainly hate to bring this up...but I think the Tyree helmut catch in SB 42 was better. There was also "The Catch"...with Joe Montana hitting Dwight Clark in the closing seconds, to win the 1981 NFC title game, in San Francisco. There was also the Santonio Holmes' catch to give the Steelers the win over the Kurt Warner led Cardinals in the SB.  

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from TFB12. Show TFB12's posts

In response to TFB12's comment:

There was also that one punch, 10th round knockout by George Foreman, to win the heavyweight title at age 45, from southpaw Michael Moorer. Moorer was beating the tar out of Foreman for the entire fight...until Big George connected with a straight right, knocking Moorer into the middle of next week: http://articles.philly.com/1994-11-07/sports/25868353_1_oldest-heavyweight-big-george-punch

Nice one!  I remember watching that one at the time, Moorer had the fight in the bag and chose just to stand right in front of Big George.  Lights out!  What was Moorer thinking?? LOL!

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from CatfishHunter. Show CatfishHunter's posts

Has anyone mentioned Damn Yankees? 

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from zbellino. Show zbellino's posts

In response to zbellino's comment:

He basically took that game over .... but none of his catches, including the 64 yard TD will be as memorable as this big time 3rd and 6 reception in a close game on the NFL's biggest stage.

Certainly hate to bring this up...but I think the Tyree helmut catch in SB 42 was better. There was also "The Catch"...with Joe Montana hitting Dwight Clark in the closing seconds, to win the 1981 NFC title game, in San Francisco. There was also the Santonio Holmes' catch to give the Steelers the win over the Kurt Warner led Cardinals in the SB.  

No worries man. Those are all great plays. 

I think the Tyree catch was a little flukie. That's just me. Tyree wasn't a great player. It wasn't a great throw, Eli had his eyes closed and was basically chucking it away to keep from getting sacked.  He caught it on his head, but you couldn't reproduce that if you wanted to and it wasn't designed. Point being ... if Tyree had been in better position on that throw ... he could have squared up and made a much easier play for himself. 

Kind of like the Franco Harris catch ... a deflected ball off an opponent's helment right into your area? Great fingertips catch and run .... but the flukieness of it is what made it memorable more than an acheivement. 

But again ... just me ... Flutie's Hail Mary ... for instance, is really interesting ... but not a truly great play because so much of it came down to chance as opposed to a great play being made. 

The Holmes catch was not as good a catch, but was in the clutch big time. You see corner tip toe catches like that almost every week ... you don't see juggling circus catches on overthrown balls with defenders in the way 53 yards out every week. It's almost a draw to me. 

Still I'd give an edge to Holmes too because it was sooo darn big in that moment -- it was a game winner ... a Superbowl winner. 

Montana's "catch" was always about the "throw" ironically .... I'd give waaay more credit to Montana for putting that ball where only Clark could get it, on the run too!

So, for best plays I'd take Holmes and Montana over Swann for sure ... not for best catch though. Swann's is one of the greatest ever for me. 

Tyree and Harris? Too fluky for me. 

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from Muzwell. Show Muzwell's posts

A big Patriot-related moment: Brady to Moss in game 16 vs. NYG, 65 yard TD to preserve the unbeaten season and give Brady a record 50 TD passes and Moss a record 23 TD receptions.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from harleyroadking1. Show harleyroadking1's posts

Kevin Michelle's barehanded catch was a pretty cool play