The Gronkowski infection is very serious

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from donrd4. Show donrd4's posts

Re: The Gronkowski infection is very serious

In response to NoMorePensionLooting's comment:

These infections can be difficult to stop. Most likely he's on liquid antibiotics (strongest) to get it under control. Needs a 4th surgery to replace plate again. Will not be ready for camp and likely opening day.

This is not good for Rob.

I really hope he gets this taken care of. Wish him the best....To bad he's a baby in a mans body. Lots of growing up to do. Maybe after next surgery he can find some people to enjoy his childish games... Great player just to bad he's not mature....What a waste....

http://bostonherald.com/sports/patriots_nfl/new_england_patriots/2013/04/another_rob_gronkowski_setback

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from UD6. Show UD6's posts

In response to TexasPat's comment:

In response to ATJ's comment:

I get what you're saying and I do understand the nature of these infections.  What apparently is still in doubt is whether there is more infection concealed by the plate:

Doctors treating Gronkowski will have to go back into the arm again to remove the plate and install a new one, but if they find more infected tissue, they would be unable to install the plate at that time. That would require another surgical procedure after the tissue around the injury is clear of infection and, sources confirmed, that would not give Gronkowski the required 10 weeks healing time to be ready for the season opener in September.

I agree with you.  More concerned about the guy's long term health than anything else.

RESPONSE: Can't help but think that the Patriots' medical staff is at least partly to blame for this failure to fix Gronk's arm. You would think that, being stationed in the Boston area, that the Pats would have one of the finest medical staffs in the NFL. After all...we're not talking about brain surgery, here. How many people have had screws and plates inserted to repair broken bones...and have had to undergo another surgery because an infection set in? This smacks of incompetence. As I have stated in several previous posts, the team's medical/training staff doesn't appear to be first rate, and needs to be over-hauled.  

LOL.  No matter how hard you try TP, you are not getting a writing gig re: the pats.  As hard as you try to play Brad Wells aka the big blue shoe (indy colts forum) or any other columnist that sees primarily the negative in anything less than absolute success, no one is calling. 

But hey, use this forum as your outlet and hope to be discovered.  Maybe someday there will be an "American Idol" for wannabe columnists.   

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from sandylolead. Show sandylolead's posts

In response to dreighver's comment:

In response to wozzy's comment:

RESPONSE: Can't help but think that the Patriots' medical staff is at least partly to blame for this failure to fix Gronk's arm. You would think that, being stationed in the Boston area, that the Pats would have one of the finest medical staffs in the NFL. After all...we're not talking about brain surgery, here. How many people have had screws and plates inserted to repair broken bones...and have had to undergo another surgery because an infection set in? This smacks of incompetence. As I have stated in several previous posts, the team's medical/training staff doesn't appear to be first rate, and needs to be over-hauled.  

I can't help but think drinking and partying to the wee hours is at least partly responsible... far as I know antibiotics and booze don't mix.

Gee Wooz...I didn't know that knocking down a few brews could cause an infection. Thanks for your brilliant medical tip.

LOL!!!!!

Whether you believe it or not, antibiotics can be intefered with by the consumption of alcohol.

No idea if Gronk has been drinking recently, but we know for certain that someone here has.

Anyone that has been in Asia knows that consuming alcohol wipes out the effectiveness of antibiotics. Why do you think they tell you stop drinking for a week when you get the drips over here. Ask any soldier. They will tell you the same. Why do you think BB was pissed with his partying. Truly irresponsible.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from UD6. Show UD6's posts

In response to prolate0spheroid's comment:

You saying that Dr.Thomas Gill at Mass General is a hack? 

Biography

After graduating Phi Beta Kappa and Magna Cum Laude in Biology from Harvard College, Dr. Thomas Gill received his MD from Harvard Medical School. He completed his training in orthopaedic surgery at the Harvard Combined Orthopaedic Residency Program. After graduating, Dr. Gill was awarded the Maurice E. Muller Scholarship to study reconstructive surgery in Bern, Switzerland and other European academic centers. He completed his fellowship training in Sports Medicine and Shoulder Surgery at the Steadman-Hawkins Clinic in Vail, Colorado.

Dr. Gill is an Associate Professor of Orthopaedic Surgery at Harvard Medical School. He has served as Chief of the MGH Sports Medicine Service and Director of the Sports Medicine Fellowship Program. Dr. Gill serves as the Medical Director for the New England Patriots, Team Physician for the Boston Bruins and previously was the Medical Director for the Boston Red Sox. He has been named to the "Top 1% of Doctors in America" and consistently is listed among the "Best Doctors in America" and "Best of Boston" physicians.

Dr. Gill is Director of Research for the Sports Medicine Service, has published over 140 peer-reviewed manuscripts and edited two text books in knee and shoulder surgery. He has received multiple research awards, including the prestigious Excellence in Research Award, Aircast Award, O'Donoghue Award and Hughston Award from the American Orthopedic Society for Sports Medicine. He is a fellow of the American Association of Orthopedic Surgeons, a member of the American Orthopedic Society for Sports Medicine, and a member of the Team Physician Societies of the NFL and the NHL. His work is recognized both nationally and internationally. He has been elected to the Herodicus Society, the honor society for Sports Medicine surgeons, and the American Orthopedic Association.

Well...Mr. Wonderful screwed up, this time...didn't he??

Did he?

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from UD6. Show UD6's posts

In response to dreighver's comment:

I can't help but think drinking and partying to the wee hours is at least partly responsible... far as I know antibiotics and booze don't mix.

Gee Wooz...I didn't know that knocking down a few brews could cause an infection. Thanks for your brilliant medical tip.

LOL!!!!!

Whether you believe it or not, antibiotics can be intefered with by the consumption of alcohol.

No idea if Gronk has been drinking recently, but we know for certain that someone here has.

Shhhhh.  This kind of response runs completely contrary to TP's self-professed brilliance. 

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from UD6. Show UD6's posts

In response to RidingWithTheKingII's comment:

In response to CatfishHunter's comment:

LOL!!!!!

Maybe if you stopped laughing long enough you'd learn something.  While the brews would not cause the infection they could certainly prevent its elimination.

Any patient going through a procedure like Gronk's has a personal responsibility  (for his own health and his team) to follow doctor's orders for post-op rehabilitation.

Sometimes when TPat doesn't know something, he mocks the other person who knows more. It's a typical tactic by the Irrationals.

Be more specific.  Typical tactic by TP.  Pay attention going forward.  you'll see it regularly.

7. This post has been removed.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from NEGAME2. Show NEGAME2's posts

I have a good friend who had minor surgery at Mass General, couple days after release he has two serious infections so he had to have antibiotics  with an intravenous feed 24/7 for six weeks, same hosipal as Gronk. Maybe the hospital is just an old dirty infected place (hospitals dirty little secret-more people dying from infection than the disease)  Hey Gronk come on down to Charlotte- best hospitals, clean new (after all Anderson is here) and I'll be glad to help make you feel better!!

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from 42AND46. Show 42AND46's posts

In response to UD6's comment:

LOL!!!!!

Maybe if you stopped laughing long enough you'd learn something.  While the brews would not cause the infection they could certainly prevent its elimination.

Any patient going through a procedure like Gronk's has a personal responsibility  (for his own health and his team) to follow doctor's orders for post-op rehabilitation.

Sometimes when TPat doesn't know something, he mocks the other person who knows more. It's a typical tactic by the Irrationals.

Be more specific.  Typical tactic by TP.  Pay attention going forward.  you'll see it regularly.

It's actually a troll tactic adopted by Irrationals, not just  TPat one.  Mt Hurl mocks me regularly here and he's clearly less intelligent, which I still get a kick out of.  The Irrational shows a complete lack of understanding of a concept, shows it, then acts embarrased trying to wiggle out of the embarrassment.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_ePTZezN_Iw

i can relate Russ as this is how I feel when dealing with you

and you can "wiggle" with the best of them, as well as deny, spin and ignore

10. This post has been removed.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from 42AND46. Show 42AND46's posts

In response to 42AND46's comment:

LOL!!!!!

It's actually a troll tactic adopted by Irrationals, not just  TPat one.  Mt Hurl mocks me regularly here and he's clearly less intelligent, which I still get a kick out of.  The Irrational shows a complete lack of understanding of a concept, shows it, then acts embarrased trying to wiggle out of the embarrassment.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_ePTZezN_Iw

i can relate Russ as this is how I feel when dealing with you

and you can "wiggle" with the best of them, as well as deny, spin and ignore

I don't ignore anything. No spin either. Fact, substance and reason.

Who do you think you are as a troll telling me that this is how you "deal" with me on this Pats board?

You're a guest here.

i am jintsfan the man! the myth! the legend!

kind of like eli  :  )

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from TexasPat. Show TexasPat's posts

Biography

After graduating Phi Beta Kappa and Magna Cum Laude in Biology from Harvard College, Dr. Thomas Gill received his MD from Harvard Medical School. He completed his training in orthopaedic surgery at the Harvard Combined Orthopaedic Residency Program. After graduating, Dr. Gill was awarded the Maurice E. Muller Scholarship to study reconstructive surgery in Bern, Switzerland and other European academic centers. He completed his fellowship training in Sports Medicine and Shoulder Surgery at the Steadman-Hawkins Clinic in Vail, Colorado.

Dr. Gill is an Associate Professor of Orthopaedic Surgery at Harvard Medical School. He has served as Chief of the MGH Sports Medicine Service and Director of the Sports Medicine Fellowship Program. Dr. Gill serves as the Medical Director for the New England Patriots, Team Physician for the Boston Bruins and previously was the Medical Director for the Boston Red Sox. He has been named to the "Top 1% of Doctors in America" and consistently is listed among the "Best Doctors in America" and "Best of Boston" physicians.

Dr. Gill is Director of Research for the Sports Medicine Service, has published over 140 peer-reviewed manuscripts and edited two text books in knee and shoulder surgery. He has received multiple research awards, including the prestigious Excellence in Research Award, Aircast Award, O'Donoghue Award and Hughston Award from the American Orthopedic Society for Sports Medicine. He is a fellow of the American Association of Orthopedic Surgeons, a member of the American Orthopedic Society for Sports Medicine, and a member of the Team Physician Societies of the NFL and the NHL. His work is recognized both nationally and internationally. He has been elected to the Herodicus Society, the honor society for Sports Medicine surgeons, and the American Orthopedic Association.

You a doctor or is there some kind of Mel Kiper of medicine you turn to for your ersatz expertise?

Are you this doctor's brother...or worse...his lawyer?? LOL!!!

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from TexasPat. Show TexasPat's posts

LOL!!!!!

RESPONSE: Just what Woozy needs...an endorsement and support from the likes of you...LOL!!! This from a person who is well versed about misdirecting conversations, misquoting folks...and flat out lying, to support his ridiculous opinions.  

RESPONSE: Why are you still here? Don't you have a few stables to clean?

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from TexasPat. Show TexasPat's posts

LOL!!!!!

I am jintsfan the man! the myth! the legend!

God Jints...this forum format really sucks. It's hard to keep up with who you're responding to. Some of these guys here are a trip. They get so sensitive, and take things so seriously. Sometimes, it's just fun to bust their chops...LOL!!! So...you are Jints...the man, the myth, the legend...just like Eli....LOL!!!  

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from 42AND46. Show 42AND46's posts

LOL!!!!!

I am jintsfan the man! the myth! the legend!

God Jints...this forum format really sucks. It's hard to keep up with who you're responding to. Some of these guys here are a trip. They get so sensitive, and take things so seriously. Sometimes, it's just fun to bust their chops...LOL!!! So...you are Jints...the man, the myth, the legend...just like Eli....LOL!!!  

hi TP!  Smile

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from jimmytantric. Show jimmytantric's posts

This is not good news and not just from a football standard. Infections are very serious and many people have died from staff infections. I hope the kid is alright. On a side note I was told that Boston Hospitals, esp; Mass general and Brigham Young were close to the best in the Country? I grew up a mile from Fenway Park and very close to all the hospitals on Brookline Avenue--does anyone know which hospital he went to and if it was the Pats Surgeon or a surgeon of his choice? My wife is currently working at a Boise Id hospital as an RN on the Med Surgery floor.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from jimmytantric. Show jimmytantric's posts

Biography

To be human is to make mistakes TP. People in glass houses should not throw stones! Unless you are the one human in existence that has never made a mistake or done something wrong?

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from ATJ. Show ATJ's posts

To all of the self-styled physicians posting in this particular thread who have diagnosed the problem as Gronk's drinking you may find these links of interest:

http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/antibiotics-and-alcohol/AN01802

http://www.intelihealth.com/IH/ihtIH/WSIHW000/35320/35323/1363990.html?d=dmtHMSContent

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from ATJ. Show ATJ's posts

And to those who have diagnosed the problem as a consequence of medical incompetence, your credentials in this regard are exactly what, if I may be so bold as to inquire?

20. This post has been removed.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from ATJ. Show ATJ's posts

In response to THTM's comment:

The leading cause of death in a hospital is from getting a infection from same said hospital.

You wouldn't happen to have a link or some other authoritative reference for this, would you?

22. This post has been removed.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from TexasPat. Show TexasPat's posts

In response to jimmytantric's comment:

Biography

To be human is to make mistakes TP. People in glass houses should not throw stones! Unless you are the one human in existence that has never made a mistake or done something wrong?

That's a beautiful sentiment. But...this is real life, and big business. This doctor was undoubtedly paid huge money to do his job, and do it right. Doctors can't afford the luxury of having an "off day". If they have an off day, a person can die.

Here, we're talking about a young man's life potentially being at stake, along with his Hall of Fame career. We're also talking about the difference between a football team being a 10-6 playoff fodder team, or a team having a legitimate shot at a championship...because of this doctor's mistake...or the incompetence of supposedly one of the finest hospitals in the world.

Sorry...but mistakes like this are inexcusable.

Had you paid big money to this doctor/hospital to treat your wife or child, and a a similar "mistake" had been made...I wonder if you would be in such a forgiving mood?  

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from UD6. Show UD6's posts

TP -
    Is the doctor paid to keep Gronkowski on his recovery regimen? 
    How can he play surgeon and babysitter at the same time? 
    Isn't it possible that the mistake is Gronkowski's and not the doctor's?
    Is it possible that this isn't a mistake at all, and that every appropriate precaution was taken and yet the infection still occurred?
    Is it possible that you've simply chosen a side, been backed into a corner and your pride (like always) won't allow you to admit you could be wrong?

25. This post has been removed.