The Gronkowski infection is very serious

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from redsoxfan94. Show redsoxfan94's posts

Re: The Gronkowski infection is very serious

well medication and alcohol dont exactly mix. not saying that is the only reason this occured, but im sure it didnt help his cause. we all know gronk is a gym rat, and keeps in great shape, but if you want to have a long professional career, you need to more careful than what gronk has been.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from threejak. Show threejak's posts

Nope, not a physicain and didn't stay at the Holiday Inn Express last night either but rather than tee-off on Dr. Gill I'd be looking at the theater of the surgery and what thier infectious numbers are post surgery for that insititution.   All hospitals keep records of such things and it's a monster problem looming acorss the country with drug resisteat "bugs."

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from ATJ. Show ATJ's posts

In response to THTM's comment:

In response to ATJ's comment:

In response to THTM's comment: 

The leading cause of death in a hospital is from getting a infection from same said hospital.

You wouldn't happen to have a link or some other authoritative reference for this, would you?

Well my Father died from a infection he got in the hospital(lawsuit),my sister is head lawyer for the medical in my province,my uncle was head doctor for The Canadain Olympic team,I am a EMT.I dont know how to do a link,cut and paste etc.Why?Grew up in small town Ontario, Shrug shoulders.

In other words, you post is based on personal observation and experience.  And I respect that as an authoritative source for what you've seen.  I was more thinking of a broader based study but there may not be one.  Thanks for clarifying.

4. This post has been removed.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from Philskiw1. Show Philskiw1's posts

I'll bet the pain pills and the drinking are a blast though.  The guy should worry about his liver with the meds.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from redsoxfan94. Show redsoxfan94's posts

In response to RidingWithTheKingII's comment:

In response to redsoxfan94's comment:

well medication and alcohol dont exactly mix. not saying that is the only reason this occured, but im sure it didnt help his cause. we all know gronk is a gym rat, and keeps in great shape, but if you want to have a long professional career, you need to more careful than what gronk has been.

I think this whole "he parties, so it might be tied to that" routine is nothing more than a lot of noise.

I don't think him drinking at any time post surgery while taking meds is the cause of an infection.

It's true your immune system is important to stave off infection, but I also don't believe Gronk is in a gutter somewhere on a nightly basis, hammered either.

yea i dont think he is hammered every night either. im just saying im not going to put all the blame on the doctor for this, when gronk clearly could have handled the situation better.

7. This post has been removed.

8. This post has been removed.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from redsoxfan94. Show redsoxfan94's posts

I think this whole "he parties, so it might be tied to that" routine is nothing more than a lot of noise.

I don't think him drinking at any time post surgery while taking meds is the cause of an infection.

It's true your immune system is important to stave off infection, but I also don't believe Gronk is in a gutter somewhere on a nightly basis, hammered either.

yea i dont think he is hammered every night either. im just saying im not going to put all the blame on the doctor for this, when gronk clearly could have handled the situation better.

I am not sure I understand.    What situation?

the break, im saying he could have been more cautious in what he was doing. look, i like gronk, but im not going to act like he is 100% innocent in this situation. hopefully you are right and no surgery is needed.

10. This post has been removed.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from the-redsox-rule. Show the-redsox-rule's posts

Alcohol won't cause the infection but it can interfere with the effectiveness of the antibiotics. We know that he was partying but that was before he got the infection and doesn't have anything to do with the cause. If he's been drinking since it was discovered then yes, he's harming his recovery. It looks like a case of bad luck right from the start when he broke it on a PAT against the Colts during a late game blowout.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from rtuinila. Show rtuinila's posts

After reading this thread, digesting what most of the posters are saying, even though it has been stated that Gronk may not even have an infection at all, all I can say is..."Bring out yer dead...ring... Bring out yer dead...

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from ATJ. Show ATJ's posts

In response to the-redsox-rule's comment:

Alcohol won't cause the infection but it can interfere with the effectiveness of the antibiotics. We know that he was partying but that was before he got the infection and doesn't have anything to do with the cause. If he's been drinking since it was discovered then yes, he's harming his recovery. It looks like a case of bad luck right from the start when he broke it on a PAT against the Colts during a late game blowout.

These sources would seem to indicate otherwise re: alcohol interfering:

http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/antibiotics-and-alcohol/AN01802

http://www.intelihealth.com/IH/ihtIH/WSIHW000/35320/35323/1363990.html?d=dmtHMSContent

14. This post has been removed.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from JRABBB. Show JRABBB's posts

I thought that Gronk was in rehab after his antics after the SB this year.

So now it's an "infection"or is it Court ordered rehab?Just throwing that out there...Did you guys see how hammered he was?

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from prolate0spheroid. Show prolate0spheroid's posts

In response to TexasPat's comment:

In response to jimmytantric's comment:

In response to prolate0spheroid's comment:

You saying that Dr.Thomas Gill at Mass General is a hack? 

Biography

After graduating Phi Beta Kappa and Magna C*m Laude in Biology from Harvard College, Dr. Thomas Gill received his MD from Harvard Medical School. He completed his training in orthopaedic surgery at the Harvard Combined Orthopaedic Residency Program. After graduating, Dr. Gill was awarded the Maurice E. Muller Scholarship to study reconstructive surgery in Bern, Switzerland and other European academic centers. He completed his fellowship training in Sports Medicine and Shoulder Surgery at the Steadman-Hawkins Clinic in Vail, Colorado.

Dr. Gill is an Associate Professor of Orthopaedic Surgery at Harvard Medical School. He has served as Chief of the MGH Sports Medicine Service and Director of the Sports Medicine Fellowship Program. Dr. Gill serves as the Medical Director for the New England Patriots, Team Physician for the Boston Bruins and previously was the Medical Director for the Boston Red Sox. He has been named to the "Top 1% of Doctors in America" and consistently is listed among the "Best Doctors in America" and "Best of Boston" physicians.

Dr. Gill is Director of Research for the Sports Medicine Service, has published over 140 peer-reviewed manuscripts and edited two text books in knee and shoulder surgery. He has received multiple research awards, including the prestigious Excellence in Research Award, Aircast Award, O'Donoghue Award and Hughston Award from the American Orthopedic Society for Sports Medicine. He is a fellow of the American Association of Orthopedic Surgeons, a member of the American Orthopedic Society for Sports Medicine, and a member of the Team Physician Societies of the NFL and the NHL. His work is recognized both nationally and internationally. He has been elected to the Herodicus Society, the honor society for Sports Medicine surgeons, and the American Orthopedic Association.

Well...Mr. Wonderful screwed up, this time...didn't he??

To be human is to make mistakes TP. People in glass houses should not throw stones! Unless you are the one human in existence that has never made a mistake or done something wrong?

That's a beautiful sentiment. But...this is real life, and big business. This doctor was undoubtedly paid huge money to do his job, and do it right. Doctors can't afford the luxury of having an "off day". If they have an off day, a person can die.

Here, we're talking about a young man's life potentially being at stake, along with his Hall of Fame career. We're also talking about the difference between a football team being a 10-6 playoff fodder team, or a team having a legitimate shot at a championship...because of this doctor's mistake...or the incompetence of supposedly one of the finest hospitals in the world.

Sorry...but mistakes like this are inexcusable.

Had you paid big money to this doctor/hospital to treat your wife or child, and a a similar "mistake" had been made...I wonder if you would be in such a forgiving mood?  

I guess you're the type who sues anytime anything goes wrong with your medical care? First of all, infection is a risk of any surgery and even if all the right precautions are taken, sometimes it will occur. With the proliferation of drug-resistant bacteria it's a bigger and bigger problem in every hospital. You clearly have no knowledge of any of this, but, as usual, you choose to pontificate despite your obvious ignorance.

You're like the Mel Kiper of medicine here . . .  maybe you can post  a report card on the surgeon's performance. 

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsLifer. Show PatsLifer's posts

http://www.intelihealth.com/IH/ihtIH/WSIHW000/35320/35323/1363990.html?d=dmtHMSContent

Like I said above, it would need to be a pretty consistent level of drinking, which I am not buying.

It's basically saying Gronk completely ignored the medical instructions, pre and post surgery. Again, not buying it. When he says he takes care of his body, takes his career seriously, eats well, etc, I take him at his word.

This is really about the fact he's a character on and off the field and the media thinks it's an angle because they know how BB runs his ship. The misnomer with that is the fact you can't be an individual in the Pats locker room.  It's a myth.  It's only the people who are goofy and then don't play well or show consistency where you get on the naughty list, just like it usually is everywhere else.

This appears to be an overreaction because he was in Vegas for a night (or two) and in a bar.

Those articles are talking about people who are alcoholics or have a few drinks on a daily basis. And, even then it's not a guarantee.

We don't even know if he was drinking in that bar anyway.  One drink, two or 3 on a night out really isn't even so much an issue in this kind of a potential issue.  It's more about the repeat patterns or behavior.

But, if you have some wine with dinner, take your meds, etc, it's not going to throw off the healing process to stave off infection. It could, but it's just not a definitive fact that it is what caused said infection either.

Now, if he's drinking continually (every night, every other night), then yeah.

It's pretty simple, get your rest, eat right and you're doing 90% of what you should be doing to keep your immune system in top form. 

Russ,

I think Gronk not taking precautions are his fault. Not saying his setback is his fault, I am saying he should be doing everything in his power to get better. That doesn't include getting wasted and body slamming people. It's not like he is sipping a fine cab with his steak . The gut has been clubbing and getting ripped. If I was Kraft or bb I would be a bit miffed at my investment.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from bredbru. Show bredbru's posts

In response to PatsLifer's comment:

Like I said above, it would need to be a pretty consistent level of drinking, which I am not buying.

It's basically saying Gronk completely ignored the medical instructions, pre and post surgery. Again, not buying it. When he says he takes care of his body, takes his career seriously, eats well, etc, I take him at his word.

This is really about the fact he's a character on and off the field and the media thinks it's an angle because they know how BB runs his ship. The misnomer with that is the fact you can't be an individual in the Pats locker room.  It's a myth.  It's only the people who are goofy and then don't play well or show consistency where you get on the naughty list, just like it usually is everywhere else.

This appears to be an overreaction because he was in Vegas for a night (or two) and in a bar.

Those articles are talking about people who are alcoholics or have a few drinks on a daily basis. And, even then it's not a guarantee.

We don't even know if he was drinking in that bar anyway.  One drink, two or 3 on a night out really isn't even so much an issue in this kind of a potential issue.  It's more about the repeat patterns or behavior.

But, if you have some wine with dinner, take your meds, etc, it's not going to throw off the healing process to stave off infection. It could, but it's just not a definitive fact that it is what caused said infection either.

It's pretty simple, get your rest, eat right and you're doing 90% of what you should be doing to keep your immune system in top form. 

Russ,

I think Gronk not taking precautions are his fault. Not saying his setback is his fault, I am saying he should be doing everything in his power to get better. That doesn't include getting wasted and body slamming people. It's not like he is sipping a fine cab with his steak . The gut has been clubbing and getting ripped. If I was Kraft or bb I would be a bit miffed at my investment.

i think they are (or at least bb) and finally drew a line in the sand (well late. i suggested the move to speak with him should have happened after the first or second "boys will be bos". in cident).  and thats why gronk called off media events he had booked somtime after the body slam video incident.

and if it hasnt happened again, shame on bb and on gronks father for not parting some wisdom (and boundaries) on the chap

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from rtuinila. Show rtuinila's posts

In response to jimmytantric's comment:

You saying that Dr.Thomas Gill at Mass General is a hack? 

Biography

After graduating Phi Beta Kappa and Magna C*m Laude in Biology from Harvard College, Dr. Thomas Gill received his MD from Harvard Medical School. He completed his training in orthopaedic surgery at the Harvard Combined Orthopaedic Residency Program. After graduating, Dr. Gill was awarded the Maurice E. Muller Scholarship to study reconstructive surgery in Bern, Switzerland and other European academic centers. He completed his fellowship training in Sports Medicine and Shoulder Surgery at the Steadman-Hawkins Clinic in Vail, Colorado.

Dr. Gill is an Associate Professor of Orthopaedic Surgery at Harvard Medical School. He has served as Chief of the MGH Sports Medicine Service and Director of the Sports Medicine Fellowship Program. Dr. Gill serves as the Medical Director for the New England Patriots, Team Physician for the Boston Bruins and previously was the Medical Director for the Boston Red Sox. He has been named to the "Top 1% of Doctors in America" and consistently is listed among the "Best Doctors in America" and "Best of Boston" physicians.

Dr. Gill is Director of Research for the Sports Medicine Service, has published over 140 peer-reviewed manuscripts and edited two text books in knee and shoulder surgery. He has received multiple research awards, including the prestigious Excellence in Research Award, Aircast Award, O'Donoghue Award and Hughston Award from the American Orthopedic Society for Sports Medicine. He is a fellow of the American Association of Orthopedic Surgeons, a member of the American Orthopedic Society for Sports Medicine, and a member of the Team Physician Societies of the NFL and the NHL. His work is recognized both nationally and internationally. He has been elected to the Herodicus Society, the honor society for Sports Medicine surgeons, and the American Orthopedic Association.

Well...Mr. Wonderful screwed up, this time...didn't he??

To be human is to make mistakes TP. People in glass houses should not throw stones! Unless you are the one human in existence that has never made a mistake or done something wrong?

That's a beautiful sentiment. But...this is real life, and big business. This doctor was undoubtedly paid huge money to do his job, and do it right. Doctors can't afford the luxury of having an "off day". If they have an off day, a person can die.

Here, we're talking about a young man's life potentially being at stake, along with his Hall of Fame career. We're also talking about the difference between a football team being a 10-6 playoff fodder team, or a team having a legitimate shot at a championship...because of this doctor's mistake...or the incompetence of supposedly one of the finest hospitals in the world.

Sorry...but mistakes like this are inexcusable.

Had you paid big money to this doctor/hospital to treat your wife or child, and a a similar "mistake" had been made...I wonder if you would be in such a forgiving mood?  

I guess you're the type who sues anytime anything goes wrong with your medical care? First of all, infection is a risk of any surgery and even if all the right precautions are taken, sometimes it will occur. With the proliferation of drug-resistant bacteria it's a bigger and bigger problem in every hospital. You clearly have no knowledge of any of this, but, as usual, you choose to pontificate despite your obvious ignorance.

You're like the Mel Kiper of medicine here . . .  maybe you can post  a report card on the surgeon's performance. 

LOL... I can just see this guy from Texas, with a Mitre on his head, speaking to the crowds (three people and a dog) from his back deck!

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from rtuinila. Show rtuinila's posts

Russ,

And yet the only real medical info that was linked to on this thread, refutes your statements about Gronk!

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from wonderdrums. Show wonderdrums's posts

In response to CatfishHunter's comment:

In response to wozzy's comment:

RESPONSE: Can't help but think that the Patriots' medical staff is at least partly to blame for this failure to fix Gronk's arm. You would think that, being stationed in the Boston area, that the Pats would have one of the finest medical staffs in the NFL. After all...we're not talking about brain surgery, here. How many people have had screws and plates inserted to repair broken bones...and have had to undergo another surgery because an infection set in? This smacks of incompetence. As I have stated in several previous posts, the team's medical/training staff doesn't appear to be first rate, and needs to be over-hauled.  

I can't help but think drinking and partying to the wee hours is at least partly responsible... far as I know antibiotics and booze don't mix.

Gee Wooz...I didn't know that knocking down a few brews could cause an infection. Thanks for your brilliant medical tip.

LOL!!!!!

Maybe if you stopped laughing long enough you'd learn something.  While the brews would not cause the infection they could certainly prevent its elimination.

Any patient going through a procedure like Gronk's has a personal responsibility  (for his own health and his team) to follow doctor's orders for post-op rehabilitation.

Id say 99% of any prescription I've ever gotten from a Dr has directions on the bottle.........do not consume with alcohol...... Or take with plenty of food and water...........or avoid prolonged exposure to direct sunlight..etc etc. My point being is I'd like to think that Gronkowski is smart enough to read and follow directions. I'd also like to point out that the guy is a professional athlete who we have yet to see out of shape and when he's healthy has more than showed up on Sundays. The guy may act a fool, but I think it's just that.........an act. Admit it, hes like a big doofy frat guy. Let's hope this is all just sensationalized media and Gronkowski will come out of this healthy and ready to spike some footballs. Go Pats!

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from agill1970. Show agill1970's posts

A friend of mines Father died a few years back after breaking his leg, requiring surgery and then getting an infection.  Infections after going under the knife are more common than most people would like to believe.  Generally it can be cleared up with medication, but sometimes it can dig in and cause all kinds of problems, even death. 

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsLifer. Show PatsLifer's posts

In response to rtuinila's comment:

Russ,

And yet the only real medical info that was linked to on this thread, refutes your statements about Gronk!

it may refute the alcohol part, but picking people up, body slamming can't be too good for an arm that is healing...can it?

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsLifer. Show PatsLifer's posts

In response to rtuinila's comment:

Russ,

And try reading comprehension classes...in the mayo clinic link, it states "most antibiotics"...not all. 

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from ATJ. Show ATJ's posts

And if you read the second link the antibiotics with alcohol warnings have nothing to do with the kind of infection that Gronk has.

People are going to believe what they believe.  Bottom line is that we'd all like to see a healthy Gronk on the field making plays.  How and when he gets there is up to medical professionals and how he follows his treatment regimen.