The Jets are looking to hire another GM in addition to Tannebaum ???????

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from mrmojo1120. Show mrmojo1120's posts

The Jets are looking to hire another GM in addition to Tannebaum ???????

At this point, the sad-sack New York Jets aren't a circus, as the New York Post insinuated back in September. They're a bizarre performance art project that only a few people can tolerate watching. Their inept handling of seemingly every decision has become impressive.

The team's technique of having no distinct quarterback depth chart is now crossing over to their handling of a new general manager. The Jets want to try and get another general manager to work side by side with current GM Mike Tannenbaum, even though that idea would essentially nullify the whole purpose of a general manager.

From Jason La Canfora of CBS Sports:

The Jets are trying to beef up their front office, particularly in personnel, given their failing in the draft and free agency in recent years. But owner Woody Johnson is looking for a way to keep Tannenbaum in a different capacity, primarily as a negotiator/cap guy, sources said. The team has quietly reached out to potential candidates to gauge interest in the bizarre arrangement, including approaching Mike Maccagnan, Houston's director of college scouting.

[...]

Several potential GM candidates — men expected to garner interviews for soon-to-be-open general manager jobs — said they would never consider taking the Jets job under these circumstances and doubted that any strong candidate would.

"That's totally ridiculous," one exec said. "Only the Jets."

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from mrmojo1120. Show mrmojo1120's posts

Re: The Jets are looking to hire another GM in addition to Tannebaum ???????

JETS:

Jacksonville

Expecting

Tebow 

Soon

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from 42AND46. Show 42AND46's posts

In response to mrmojo1120's comment:
    [QUOTE]

JETS:

Jacksonville

Expecting

Tebow 

Soon

[/QUOTE]

gonna leave tannenbaum as the "cap" man and get him a "co-gm" to handle draft and player transactions etc..

they are also saying tony sporano is out the door

they are a mess

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from patsbandwagonsince76. Show patsbandwagonsince76's posts

co-gm

...Just like they hired Tebow to be a co-QB

that will work out well.

5. This post has been removed.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from 42AND46. Show 42AND46's posts

In response to RockScully's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Cue TripelOG/Jay Shizzly to tell us that we are obsessed with the Jets. LOL

I was going to start a thread on this further embarrassment by the Jets, but since Shizzles thinks only I am obsessed, it wasn't done. So, thanks Mr Mojo.  haha

The funniest part of this newest piece of the debacle is the statement I keep reading about "Tannenbum being a cap guru".

Umm, excuse me?  Aren't they in this position partly to overspending on what the market is for any and every trendy FA available in order to appease their dumb fans who think trendy names on the jerseys equate to winning a SB? I am pretty sure they are.

Obviously, their WORST contracts are Sanchez, Santionio Holmes and what Revis will ask for, D'Bustshaw Ferguson (highest paid LT in the NFL, lol) and David Harris's (he's paid like Patrick Willis), etc.

But, they also brought in guys like LT, Jason Taylor, an old Damien Woody and Kris Jenkins, etc, on VERY short term deals with no one in place to at least come close in replacing them. All these guys were given too much money at the time considering their age.  I could see if they had more cap room, but they didn't and it affected their depth, especially in their memorable SB season of 2010. lol

So, it's not JUST the drafting for the pipeline pieces behind those short term signings, it's the actual contracts, the allocating of dollars to each position that's hurt them. Obviously, you can't pay each CB 8 and 15+ million like that. It's way too much money tied to the CB position.

Their biggest mistake was wildly spending into the lockout not realizing there was no way on earth the cap ceiling wouldn't be lower than what it was in 2009.  That was the whole point of the lockout!

They're just so dumb and arrogant at the same time.  What everyone thought was the idea tht people wanted to play there is really them overpaying based on NEED at the TIME, not strategic FA shopping.

It was no different this year when they lost Jim Leonhard, are still sitting on Eric Smith who is terrible, and then paid the most for Landry and Bell on 1 year deals. Neither can cover past a 10 yard route in a passing league yet each took the only deals that were on the table, comically higher than any other team offered them. Why? Desperation and bad cap management.

Every single move they made was either a bad one or an overpayment.  Their best signing bang for buck was probably Calvin Pace and they even overrated him. That's how dumb Mike Tannenbaum. He's been by far and away the worst GM in this league the last 3 years.

Finally, who wants that job? Who seriously would want to go there and be working with someone as bad as Tannenboob?

If they were smart, they'd hire MIke Lombardi, give him free reign to do whatever he wanted, including cleaning house with Rex's staff, and Woody promises to stay completely out of everything.

But, Lombardi is way too smart to even consider it.  No FA will want to go there and no quaity GM would want to go there either. Jax is more attractive than the Jets right now.

[/QUOTE]

whatever else they have they currently have no qb either

sanchez has proven to be a liability this year and his confidence is shot-tebow is gone and they wasted him this year-macelroy may be good but i don't think he will turn into anything special-alabama is not exactly QB University and once the o line broke down he was exposed in the second half vs chargers

unless they find a Luck, RG3 or Wilson in this draft-and there doesn't seem to be anyone out there remotely close-or sanchez somehow does a miraculous turnaround-also veeery unlikely-they have set themselves back another 3 years minimum

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from palookaski. Show palookaski's posts

[QUOTE]

Cue TripelOG/Jay Shizzly to tell us that we are obsessed with the Jets. LOL

I was going to start a thread on this further embarrassment by the Jets, but since Shizzles thinks only I am obsessed, it wasn't done. So, thanks Mr Mojo.  haha

The funniest part of this newest piece of the debacle is the statement I keep reading about "Tannenbum being a cap guru".

Umm, excuse me?  Aren't they in this position partly to overspending on what the market is for any and every trendy FA available in order to appease their dumb fans who think trendy names on the jerseys equate to winning a SB? I am pretty sure they are.

Obviously, their WORST contracts are Sanchez, Santionio Holmes and what Revis will ask for, D'Bustshaw Ferguson (highest paid LT in the NFL, lol) and David Harris's (he's paid like Patrick Willis), etc.

But, they also brought in guys like LT, Jason Taylor, an old Damien Woody and Kris Jenkins, etc, on VERY short term deals with no one in place to at least come close in replacing them. All these guys were given too much money at the time considering their age.  I could see if they had more cap room, but they didn't and it affected their depth, especially in their memorable SB season of 2010. lol

So, it's not JUST the drafting for the pipeline pieces behind those short term signings, it's the actual contracts, the allocating of dollars to each position that's hurt them. Obviously, you can't pay each CB 8 and 15+ million like that. It's way too much money tied to the CB position.

Their biggest mistake was wildly spending into the lockout not realizing there was no way on earth the cap ceiling wouldn't be lower than what it was in 2009.  That was the whole point of the lockout!

They're just so dumb and arrogant at the same time.  What everyone thought was the idea tht people wanted to play there is really them overpaying based on NEED at the TIME, not strategic FA shopping.

It was no different this year when they lost Jim Leonhard, are still sitting on Eric Smith who is terrible, and then paid the most for Landry and Bell on 1 year deals. Neither can cover past a 10 yard route in a passing league yet each took the only deals that were on the table, comically higher than any other team offered them. Why? Desperation and bad cap management.

Every single move they made was either a bad one or an overpayment.  Their best signing bang for buck was probably Calvin Pace and they even overrated him. That's how dumb Mike Tannenbaum. He's been by far and away the worst GM in this league the last 3 years.

Finally, who wants that job? Who seriously would want to go there and be working with someone as bad as Tannenboob?

If they were smart, they'd hire MIke Lombardi, give him free reign to do whatever he wanted, including cleaning house with Rex's staff, and Woody promises to stay completely out of everything.

But, Lombardi is way too smart to even consider it.  No FA will want to go there and no quaity GM would want to go there either. Jax is more attractive than the Jets right now.

[/QUOTE]

Excellent post Rusty, enjoyed reading it. Yep, who would want to work with Tannenbaum, nobody of any value or self worth.

Hear me out here. Since Sanchez has this massive contract that nobody is going to want or deal with, then keep Sanchez. There is no QB on the horizon at draft or FA unless they deal for a Matt Flynn or Alex Smith who will demand big Bucks. That fanbase can be convinced that Sanchez with the proper coach can be recycled. I think Sanchez is really not that bad a QB, don't laugh.

You know vision is easy but execution is hard. I really think that Sanchez can execute, he needs a good coach that will improve his Vision to know that there are 2 oppostite colors Unis out there covering his main read and if so somebody else is open. He can be smarter with coaching. Improve that O'line and add a few peices on Offense, I think that's their best bet for now and perhaps future. With a few good pieces on O they can compete with an improved Sanchez.

The Jets D is not that bad. Jettison Tanny, Sparano and Cavanaugh for sure. Keep Rex. They are too far gone for any other fix that I can see.

I enjoy the Jets demise as well and it's become a joke.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from rkarp. Show rkarp's posts

I get a kick out of the Jets comments. While it seems that this is home to many Jets fans such as Neal Page, no one will deal in reality. 

The Jets cap situation is over blown, They can and will get under the cap very easily, parting with over paid yet underperforming players very easily. 

Holmes will get healthy. They will part with Keller. They will resign Moore. They will pass on Revis ( their CB's have played well in spite of what Neal says). They will pass on Greene and they will part with Tebow. They will sign a blocking TE.  They will look LB and RB/FB in the draft to team with Powell. They will be a 7-10 win team next year depending on how health holds up as they will not be a deep team. If they can sneak into the playoffs, and as with any team, on any given Sunday anyone can win in the NFL, making them a threat to win a playoff game. 

Wile the same can be said of the Bills and Miami, Rex had the Jets playing to the end, while Gainey held the Bills back. 

9. This post has been removed.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from Muzwell. Show Muzwell's posts

In response to rkarp's comment:
    [QUOTE]

The Jets cap situation is over blown, They can and will get under the cap very easily, parting with over paid yet underperforming players very easily. 

Holmes will get healthy. They will part with Keller. They will resign Moore. They will pass on Revis ( their CB's have played well in spite of what Neal says). They will pass on Greene and they will part with Tebow. They will sign a blocking TE.  They will look LB and RB/FB in the draft to team with Powell. They will be a 7-10 win team next year depending on how health holds up as they will not be a deep team. If they can sneak into the playoffs, and as with any team, on any given Sunday anyone can win in the NFL, making them a threat to win a playoff game. 

Wile the same can be said of the Bills and Miami, Rex had the Jets playing to the end, while Gainey held the Bills back. 

[/QUOTE]

So let me sum this up: they will get one of their CBs back and resign a guard and then draft 3 stud rookies (and that should be easy since they've been so great in the draft recently...) and all is well? Sounds like a Jets plan to me, real forward thinking. Maybe they should hire rkarp for their new GM spot?

I guess they'll just hope to QB situation fixes itself. Sanchez will be fine, and if he isn't they'll ride with McElroy? 

You're right though, Rex will have them playing hard enough to get 7 wins. And they'll be playing so hard that the owner will probably extend him. And so it goes...

11. This post has been removed.

12. This post has been removed.

13. This post has been removed.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from Ytsejamer1. Show Ytsejamer1's posts

What a joke...It's obvious that WJ loves Mike Tannenbaum...but that's going to be the organization's undoing until they fix it...ie, move on completely from the MT era. 

This is what the Jets need to do...

1. Get rid of MT.

2. Resign Revis to a long term, fair deal...maybe more up front, ramping down as the years go on.

3. Keep Rex as coach, but find a competent OC...ie, Norv Turner who can run his own offensive corner of the team without supervision.  Rex obviously focuses on defense...but he has ZERO clue about how to design a modern NFL offense.  It might be interesting if the Jets could get a hold of Philip Rivers...a tough and solid QB that does have the fire and attitude to mirror Rex Ryan.

4. Get some competent pass catchers...they don't have to be all-stars, but find someone who can hold onto the ball.  Keller or Moore (who has really looked good and is younger) would be a priority at the TE position.  Both guys can catch the ball pretty well.

15. This post has been removed.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from Philskiw1. Show Philskiw1's posts

Do they hire Norv?  What about Reed?  I think Andy Reed to the browns or chargers

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from Muzwell. Show Muzwell's posts

In response to Ytsejamer1's comment:
    [QUOTE]

This is what the Jets need to do...

4. Get some competent pass catchers...they don't have to be all-stars, but find someone who can hold onto the ball.  Keller or Moore (who has really looked good and is younger) would be a priority at the TE position.  Both guys can catch the ball pretty well.

[/QUOTE]

So no mention of the QB? Gonna stick with Sanchez? McElroy? Who? I think that should be the first order of business, but what do I know.

Also, who is this Moore that people keep referring to?  The only Moore on the roster is Brandon and he's a guard. Is he switching positions?

18. This post has been removed.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from Muzwell. Show Muzwell's posts

[QUOTE]

What would be interesting is Reid to the Browns with Pioli as GM.....

[/QUOTE]

I wonder if the Browns have had their fill of ex-Pats yet. Hasn't worked out very well.

Really, unless I'm forgetting someone, the only one who's left the fold and had much success is Dimitroff.  

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from Ytsejamer1. Show Ytsejamer1's posts

Rusty...can't entirely disagree with you there.  There's some good suggestions...although I'm not entirely convinced Rex needs to go.  I think guys like playing for him and they are still playing hard out there.  Defensively...they're always able to put it together.  But I suppose the more you look into things...he's the one that has picked his staff (ie, Sparano, ST coach loudmouth, etc) and that certainly is on him. 

Alex Smith would be a good signing for them.  Not flashy, but he'd certainly fit the ground and pound offense....which needs to be expanded quite a bit.  The reason it hasn't is because of Sanchez.  Smith would be hungry to play well and would fit in without a doubt.  I'm not convinced on Matt Flynn...his old OC wanted nothing to do with him and he wasn't able to separate himself from a rookie.  I understand he was hurt (why - he was a freakin' backup QB?!?)

Re: Moore...Not sure who I was talking about.  I got the names confused.  The guy I was thinking of was Cumberland who has shown something at times this year.  With Sanchez delivering the ball, the players around them are going to look a lot worse than they likely are overall.  I haven't watched enough to be 100% convinced, but I'd think they'd hang onto Cumberland moving forward.  He's a big guy who has shown the ability to make some catches out there.

21. This post has been removed.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from mthurl. Show mthurl's posts

I think whoever decided to sign Sanchez to a long term deal needs to be fired - weather that was a combination of a few trying to save face with their draft blunder and protect "their guy", they all need to be fired. You can't make a decision like that. Honestly other than that (which was huge) I think they are about average in the guys they bring in.    

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from Paul_K. Show Paul_K's posts

Mike Genius Tannenbaum made one of the dumbest cap moves of the new millenium when he traded for Tebow this year without realizing that Tebow's $5 million salary comes with him from Denver.  If you don't pay Tebow you don't get him.  That's his contract. 

Next we have the Sanchize's guarantee that the Jets will pay him 100% of his $13m salary whether he plays in 2013 or not.  Did this fall under evaluating draft talent?  I think not.  It tries to hide under "seemed like a good idea at the time".

24. This post has been removed.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from rkarp. Show rkarp's posts

[QUOTE]

In response to Muzwell's comment:
    [QUOTE]

In response to rkarp's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

So let me sum this up: they will get one of their CBs back and resign a guard and then draft 3 stud rookies (and that should be easy since they've been so great in the draft recently...) and all is well? Sounds like a Jets plan to me, real forward thinking. Maybe they should hire rkarp for their new GM spot?

I guess they'll just hope to QB situation fixes itself. Sanchez will be fine, and if he isn't they'll ride with McElroy? 

You're right though, Rex will have them playing hard enough to get 7 wins. And they'll be playing so hard that the owner will probably extend him. And so it goes...

[/QUOTE]

LOL!!

RKarp is one of the more delusional people on this board and it's he and Mt Hurl who run neck and neck for the dumbest when it comes to understanding the cap.   They think it doesn't exist or it doesn't matter.

Every concept like salary allocation or continuity on the roster are meaningless to them.  They think you just snap  finger and a good or great team appears overnight.  lmao

There is no way either one of them are in business.  Everyone and their mother sees the Jets problems, but those two.  Even the moron Jets fanbase now sees it. Finally.

[/QUOTE]

I dont understand why you dont think before you babble? You have no clue what you are talking about.

The Jets have projected 2013 cap of $141 mil as of today.

They will cut J Smith, C Pace, B Scott for a total of approx $27mil. They also have a carry over from this year of approx $5.0 mil.

They will re negotiate some contracts like D Brick, as all teams do.

Even Sanchez will renegotiate, giving some cap room without sacraficing any money.

Assuming a rough 2013 cap number of approx $128 mil, the Jets will have approx $20 before they even renegotiate anyone...

Wow, that was hard.

I do think they end up passing on signing Revis to crazy money. I think they will live with Wilson and Cro on the corners.