The New England Patriots and the big picture

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from ronf. Show ronf's posts

The New England Patriots and the big picture

Frankly, I see Belichick and Kraft having a long term plan. It's all about the big picture and not so much a quick fix- building the team for next season as much as it is for two, three and four years from now. I know most fans think we should jump into the free agency big but Kraft and Belichick are watching the labor negotiations and what impact that will have on the salary cap. Yes, there taking a chance that the window of opportunity will close on them for another Super Bowl led by Tom Brady but hopefully Tom will remain healthy and be with the Pats for many more seasons. Nobody has a crystal ball. Perhaps these new rules about hitting the QB will prolong his carrier. Belichick and Kraft are long term planners. My feeling is they know next year could be tough (8-8 record?) but once they make to the other side their sitting pretty with two relatively high first round picks and some money to sign strategic free agents. I think 2011 is when the Pats make some bold moves. This year they want to continue to fill there roster with youth and speed and find the right type of players both on the field and in the locker room. 

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from kansaspatriot. Show kansaspatriot's posts

Re: The New England Patriots and the big picture

Some good points, but I think they'll be better than last years 10-6 record. all the top teams stayed away from free agency for a reason

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from MordecaiBloodmoon. Show MordecaiBloodmoon's posts

I see us still winning the AFC east, probably by 1 game with the Jests again in the hunt and getting the wild card.  I also see next year, assuming there is a season as a big year.  Oak's 1st rd pick should be an impact player for years to come.  I think FA will be much better and we did not lose any important pieces this offseason.  We still have a great draft to look forward to as well.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from bigpull. Show bigpull's posts

The top teams didn't stay away from Free agency by choice, free agency rules changed thats why top eight teams couldn't make any moves unless they lost a free agent. What hurt Pat's is the free agency crop wasnt to spectacular this year. Most teams have either resigned their own, or cut dead weight players. Patriots need a A+ Draft to fill some of the holes across the team. Doubtful due to past draft success. Pats will only be better if guys on roster step up and make plays. The team is rebuilding flat out, we need for the next two drafts to be good for Pats to go deep into playoffs. Were lucky to be a rebuilding team that makes the playoffs... We are probally 3 playmakers away on each side of the ball to be elite again... We still have hopeful young players (Tate, Crable, Mckenzie) that were hurt, whom may contribute this year.. This a team still capable of beating anybody, but lacks a few playmakers to come threw when the game is on the line....

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from digger0862. Show digger0862's posts

I like Kevin Faulk's take on this from this article.

At the end of Faulk's call, I asked him what he thought of the gloomy outlook on the team's fortunes since about the end of November. As someone who spends most of his time here and has a sense of the coverage, I wanted to know if he felt it was fair to classify the team as rebuilding. 

"Every year, every team is rebuilding," said Faulk. "I understand the question but as fans and players -- and I am a fan too -- we are getting a little spoiled with everything. I plan  every year to make it to the playoffs and make it to the Super Bowl. But it can't happen every year. We got hot for a while." Things move in cycles, he said, and "[that] just goes on in pro sports, not just football."

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from digger0862. Show digger0862's posts

We were the best team in football last year in the first half. I don't have any numbers to back that up, just my opinion. We lost all but one of our games last year by not finishing. Brady, running game, defense, play calling, all were factors.

Brady will be better, I hope the running game improves, the young defense will improve with some stability, and the play calling, ugh!