The only question that matters this year

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from Indylove. Show Indylove's posts

The only question that matters this year

Does this move make the pats better this year?

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from Muzwell. Show Muzwell's posts

Re: The only question that matters this year

In Response to The only question that matters this year:
    [QUOTE]Does this move make the pats better this year?
    Posted by Indylove[/QUOTE]

Well, even as an admitted Kool Aid drinker, I don't see how you can argue they're better this year.  The only rational argument in that regard is locker room chemistry, which we can only speculate about. 

With the youth movement in full effect, it almost seems as if they're gearing up for 2012.  The future is exciting.  This year will be a challenge with inexperience at a lot of key spots.  But it's never dull being a Pats fan.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from memery26. Show memery26's posts

Probably not, but against your [depleted] secondary, it won't matter.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from Indylove. Show Indylove's posts

memery - that may be correct.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from l52094. Show l52094's posts

Not this year, no.  But I think any rational Pats fan, and really any NFL fan, could see both before the season and now during the season that the Pats are a few players away from a solid championship contending team (even with Moss).  I actually like the trade.  I know the Pats D is in transition at the moment.  The reality is that the Pats young players need to get better with game experience, they need to hit on more draft picks and maybe some free agent signings.  Adding Leigh Boden and Ty Warren to the mix next year will help also.  If the Pats can hit on some of the high draft picks next draft (they seem to have done pretty good with the draft the last two years) and the kids improve, they should be an elite team again.  They could also just get lucky this year and have the kids improve sooner than expected, we'll see.  It's actually very enjoyable to watch the younger players get better - I'm enjoying this season for that reason mostly.  As long as Brady stays healthy, he's still young enough to wait 2 years for the Pats to become elite again and I look forward to the reloading process.  I'd really like to see a big investement in the D because I think Brady can win another SB with a good to great D (as could the Colts).  D is very important to winning championships - I don't think you need the best D, just a pretty good one.  The Saints had enough of a D to pressure the QB and had some solid corners that could cover nad get picks.  That's what the Pats need to get back to and really, that's what the Colts need also.  Offense only goes so far.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from Rodimus77. Show Rodimus77's posts

Why is a Ponies fan always commenting on a Patriots forum? Now that's the real million dollar question!

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from carawaydj. Show carawaydj's posts

I don't think this year is our year.  I have said this from day 1.  We will make the playoffs though.  We have too many promising young players to not be rewarded next year.  Additionally, we now have 2 picks in each of the first 4 rounds of the draft next year.

Any stat heads out there that can answer this: has any team in the modern era ever accumulated so many upper round (1-3) draft picks over 3 years (2009-2011) as the Pats?  The closest thing I've ever seen to this scale of a roster reload was the Cowboys after the Walker trade.  Even then, this reload is larger.  If our draft next year is as good as our last two, we will have super things in our future.

I've considered Polian and AJ the two best GM's in football.  However, if BB's trading strategy for numerous draft picks works, it will go down as a textbook case of roster reloading.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from Davedsone. Show Davedsone's posts

They must have SOME reason for doing it.  If we come out against Baltimore with Hernandez at wideout (I think he has the speed) then it all makes sense. Or if they get Vincent Jackson (I doubt they will).  But there must be some reason.  If the train was coming off the tracks, I think they would have just benched him.  Maybe he WAS dogging it. Whatever it was, they sure wanted him gone.  Weird.  I have to assume something else was going on.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsLifer. Show PatsLifer's posts

Right now I have to answer this question with a "no". However, I want to see how the Pats adjust to Moss's lost on offense before final judgement. It will be interesting to see how they plug in the Mosshole. This offense can still be very productive, even without Moss. It's hard to exactly calculate Moss's impact on our wins/loses because it's not all in pure stats. Randy could stretch the field, but Tate is no slouch either. Tate has real speed, and although not the HOF lock Randy is, Tate has something to prove and is hungry. Yes, Tate is young, but the few opportunities he has had to catch the ball as a WR, he has shown potential. 

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from The-dude. Show The-dude's posts

This looks to be a bridging year. Seems to be the thing with all the Boston sports teams (except the Celts).

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from l52094. Show l52094's posts

Per another post on BDC...this article is interesting:

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2010/writers/kerry_byrne/10/06/moss/index.html

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from agill1970. Show agill1970's posts

While I can't argue vehemently like so many others are doing about keeping him, we are most certainly worse off offensively.  We now lack a real vertical threat and the defensive schemes that involved doubling Moss now means someone is freed up to help negate our short/mid passing, or bringing another body up into the box to help stop our run game.  It's going to change the way defenses play us and make things much harder. 

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from apdynasty23. Show apdynasty23's posts

The jury is still out. For any fan that says "I don't think this is our year," you'll never really know until the Super Bowl is set. Nobody thought the Giants would have gone to the Super Bowl in 2007, let alone win it. Same with the Cardinals in 2008. As late as the final weeks of the season, people were writing them off after their debacle in New England. You just never know.

I do know this, however:

- I trust Belichick with personnal decisions
    - I would rather not have any other QB in the league
    - We have a ton of high draft picks with perhaps the best talent evaluator in the business. Not to mention, the flexibility to get a veteran with the picks we have.
    - Belichick teams peak late, never early (2007 being the sole exception); the reason is that they expect to make the playoffs every year so they don't unveil everything at once and they bring new players along slowly. They actually spend the first quarter of the season just seeing what they have and what players can and cannot do. Look for the defense to really start gelling after this bye week and come out at least 3-1 next month. I know it's a tough schedule but their "this defense stinks and gave up 30 to Buffalo" chip is here to stay, watch. THe true barometer for this team will be post-Thanksgiving. Not now.
    - We've won titles without a star receiver, even a top-ten receiver actually. In years past, I used to tell people that even though the Pats win, the dink and dunk offense lulls me to sleep. 2007 was heaven but lately, I was agonizing for that dink and dunk attack again. Now, we have just that.

I think Tate will fill in fine for now. He's not Moss, nobody is, but he'll pose enough of a threat to start keeping defenses honest after a while. Early, they'll dare us to go deep but after time and after some successful bombs to Tate, they'll think twice.

The future (even for this year) is bright. It's a head coach/QB league and who better than Belichick/Brady.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from kansaspatriot. Show kansaspatriot's posts

you'll find out when pouting is crying after the patriots hand the colts their assses