The only way to stop drafting guys like Hern

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from Macrawn. Show Macrawn's posts

The only way to stop drafting guys like Hern

The only way to stop drafting these kinds of guys is if the NFL character screens guys and takes them off the draft board for all teams.  You would then eliminate probably 30 percent of all players on the draft board. 

How come all the the people dumping on Kraft and BB drafting Hern are not demanding that Dennard isn't immediately dropped. He's got worse on his record coming in than Hern had. Hitting a cop???? But you people don't want to do that do you? The team will suck if they dump him.

That's the thing isn't it? When you draft late in every round every year you have to take some chances on guys who have dropped if you want to win. It's worked out for the most part. A team of Tebows would be a last place team every year folks. The teams who pick up the non angels would be laughing all the way to the Super Bowl every year.

You really want to keep these guys out? Have the NFL set draft character standards and Bar them from joining any team. Otherwise if you want to win deal with it. You are all too spoiled by winning to understand how having a losing team every year sucks. You would all be killing Kraft for his team of model citizens that ended up in every dump every year because he vetoed drafting some guys with potential issues every year who became stars on their teams.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from magicalhobo. Show magicalhobo's posts

Re: The only way to stop drafting guys like Hern

You can't predict that a guy is going to be a murderer. What did they have to go off? A failed drug test for marijuana and punching a guy at a bar or something? You cannot ban a guy from the NFL for something like that. Half of the NFL would be banned and the talent pool would suffer.

What they need to do is start banning people when they get into trouble. More severe suspensions are necessary in my opinion. They should do random mandatory drug/steroid testing throughout the season as well. Don't give guys like Michael Vick a chance to get back into the league like he did. If you are found guilty of a serious crime like he was, there should be no way he can return to the NFL. The NFL is a league. It is a privilage to play in it, it is not a right. Yeah, they need to abide by certain labor laws, but I'm pretty sure anyone here who was found guilty of funding and running a dog fighting ring would be let go from their firm/company/street corner.

Come on if you think you can take us on
    You and whose army?
    You and your cronies.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from ATJ. Show ATJ's posts

You want to eliminate the possibility of drafting guys who'll commit murder?  Stop drafting human beings.  Next issue?

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from prolate0spheroid. Show prolate0spheroid's posts

I'm not too alarmed by the rules in place today.  I think you're being unrealistic if you expect all athletes to be choirboys.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from mthurl. Show mthurl's posts

Sorry to break this to most folks, but guys in NFL locker rooms are not the most model citizens you'll meet. Sorry. I'd say somewhere around 50% are questionable characters...guys you wouldn't want to invite over for Thanksgiving dinner. The NFL shines them up real nice...they wrap them up in a little bow and put it under our Christmas tree, but if you take the wrapping off you would be horrified at what was in there.

I think if you compared an NFL locker room to say a NHL locker room, you'd find a much better ratio of good guys, to character risks. I don't think this is anything new.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from JohnHannahrulz. Show JohnHannahrulz's posts

The NCAA is the most sanctimonious, self-righteous organization in all of sports, but in the end it is a paper tiger that seldom enforces its rules and regulations when it affects the bottom line. A classic example of this is their knowledge of Cam Newton's daddy- induced player auction. No way were they going to suspend him prior to the championship game. Same goes for T'eo.

7. This post has been removed.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from newenglanderinexile. Show newenglanderinexile's posts

In response to mthurl's comment:

Sorry to break this to most folks, but guys in NFL locker rooms are not the most model citizens you'll meet. Sorry. I'd say somewhere around 50% are questionable characters...guys you wouldn't want to invite over for Thanksgiving dinner. The NFL shines them up real nice...they wrap them up in a little bow and put it under our Christmas tree, but if you take the wrapping off you would be horrified at what was in there.

I think if you compared an NFL locker room to say a NHL locker room, you'd find a much better ratio of good guys, to character risks. I don't think this is anything new.

Everyone complaining that the NFL is an organization full of thugs and criminals should read this article that appeared in the Washington Post:

http://www.washingtonpost.com/sports/redskins/aaron-hernandez-unfairly-stigmatizes-nfl-players-as-violent-and-criminalized/2013/07/02/cc63b648-e31d-11e2-aef3-339619eab080_story.html

The article includes this quotation:

Here is a fact that you may find hard to believe after listening to them [people like Limbaugh and Rivera]: NFL players commit crimes at a much lower rate than their peers in the general population. Around 2,700 players pass through NFL training camps every season, and 1,696 make rosters. Yes, some of them get arrested — about 2 to 3 percent a year. The national arrest rate for males aged 22 to 34? It’s 10.8 percent, according to FBI crime statistics for 2009.

9. This post has been removed.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from anonymis. Show anonymis's posts

why stop? Every team has calculated risks they're willing to take. This is about money and entertainment.  Teams aren't all of the sudden going to stop and change - and draft JAGs for the sake of whatever. Mediocrity and uninteresting people mean LOSING money.

Even though Kraft/Patriots are spinning AH for damage control - someone is still making money off of the "tragedy"

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from TripleOG. Show TripleOG's posts

In response to Macrawn's comment:

The only way to stop drafting these kinds of guys is if the NFL character screens guys and takes them off the draft board for all teams.  You would then eliminate probably 30 percent of all players on the draft board. 

How come all the the people dumping on Kraft and BB drafting Hern are not demanding that Dennard isn't immediately dropped. He's got worse on his record coming in than Hern had. Hitting a cop???? But you people don't want to do that do you? The team will suck if they dump him.

That's the thing isn't it? When you draft late in every round every year you have to take some chances on guys who have dropped if you want to win. It's worked out for the most part. A team of Tebows would be a last place team every year folks. The teams who pick up the non angels would be laughing all the way to the Super Bowl every year.

You really want to keep these guys out? Have the NFL set draft character standards and Bar them from joining any team. Otherwise if you want to win deal with it. You are all too spoiled by winning to understand how having a losing team every year sucks. You would all be killing Kraft for his team of model citizens that ended up in every dump every year because he vetoed drafting some guys with potential issues every year who became stars on their teams.

Im sorry I disagree. I dont buy this notion that if you stop drafting thugs, you dont win any games. Its silly!  The Pats won multiple SB's with out having really bad people on the team. How about all the good guys BB used to bring in?? He used to take pride in taking guys who had less talent but worked harder. Troy Brown,. Klecko, Seymour, Watson, R.Gay, E.Moreland, etc. I could go on ALL Day. It was the chemistry and the fact everyone was accountable. What good is a dynamic safety like Meriweather if he doesnt watch film, isnt dedicated and still has character issues and bad company? You clown guys like Ray Lewis but he was DEDICATED. Between him and Reed, nobody watched more film. Its one thing to have a thug image and another to be a thug. Ray may been wrong, but the NFL sure loved him and you could never question his dedication, hard work, leadership,etc.  Im not gonna get drunk on kool aid. I call it straight as always. Im not gonna beat a dead horse,and I dont care about A.H. but this team was it bests with marginally talented players all working together with the aide of a few stars in key positions. D.Patten, Troy Brown, D.Givens, D.Branch?!?  I mean you cant get a cleaner set of WRs in the whole NFL. Matt Stevens and Otis Smith on defense. MOst talented? not quite, but dedicated. BB nailed the 2001 free agency and had a bunch of not great players that came together THAT year and did something special. He needs to pop in those tapes and change his strategy back to that. The Drafting of almost all the eligible rutgers players in the last few years sais he has already realized this and wont be going back to U.F. for any more kids. Rutgers players are supposed to be ALL business and the safety wasnt on anyones radar because he was a just a player, no flash. I like the approach. lets see how it goes.  Sorry, point not made.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from newenglanderinexile. Show newenglanderinexile's posts

In response to MelWitt's comment:

In response to newenglanderinexile's comment:

[QUOTE]

In response to mthurl's comment:

[QUOTE]

Everyone complaining that the NFL is an organization full of thugs and criminals should read this article that appeared in the Washington Post:

http://www.washingtonpost.com/sports/redskins/aaron-hernandez-unfairly-stigmatizes-nfl-players-as-violent-and-criminalized/2013/07/02/cc63b648-e31d-11e2-aef3-339619eab080_story.html

The article includes this quotation:

Here is a fact that you may find hard to believe after listening to them [people like Limbaugh and Rivera]: NFL players commit crimes at a much lower rate than their peers in the general population. Around 2,700 players pass through NFL training camps every season, and 1,696 make rosters. Yes, some of them get arrested — about 2 to 3 percent a year. The national arrest rate for males aged 22 to 34? It’s 10.8 percent, according to FBI crime statistics for 2009.

[/QUOTE]

Ahhh...some of the 10.8% are absolutely race and income related.....young black males are arrested at an incredible rate for crimes their more white and suburban  counterparts are not, mostly drug related crimes...just note the stop and search policy going on in NYC...most NFL athletes are far less likely to be arrested for the same types of crimes (DUI's  or simple posession of weed, for example) because of fame or area of the country (LIKE PITTSBURGH..LMAO)...also, I'd expect all males with some college education, if not degrees, with substantial income, which ALL players on NFL rosters posses due to minimum contract levels, would have arrest rates far less than those men at the same age who lack education and income...I also wonder how many of the 10.8% are jobless and in urban areas.

[/QUOTE]

All good points, but it still seems that NFL players as a whole are unfairly stigmatized because of the criminal behavior of a tiny percentage of them. 

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from rtuinila. Show rtuinila's posts

The only real way to stop drafting players like Hern is to invent and devolope a machine that would allow you to see or go into the future and see if Hern did anything criminal. Anything else would be based on pure speculation and cause way too many people to be banned from the NFL for no good reason.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from BostonTrollSpanker. Show BostonTrollSpanker's posts

"The only way to stop drafting these kinds of guys is if the NFL character screens guys and takes them off the draft board for all teams.  You would then eliminate probably 30 percent of all players on the draft board. "

LOLZ. Yeah that would stand up in court. Keeping people from millions of dollars because you think you have some idea they might misbehave someday. 

Got news for you: the NFL has no concerns here. Think Pats TV ratings or NFL TV ratings will be down next year because of this? Nope. 

The only ones who will care - aside from the off field tragedy beyond compare - are Pats fans as our team will be inferior to what it could have been. And the rest of the league will enjoy that also. So the NFL feels no imperative to change anything.

Are you going to boycott until they do? No - and no one else will either. So it all comes down to ineffectual message board whining and really wacky ideas. I think you have accomplished a bit of both.

Very realistic idea you have there!

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from Pats-bilbo. Show Pats-bilbo's posts

Sorry but i think the issues start earlier than NCAA. When a child of 10 is gifted playing Pop Warner or some other children's league games, they get special treatment and high schools even start recruiting them. They learn early that getting an education, working hard in school and respecting others doesn't matter. Football, weight room and performance on the field is all that matters. Everything outside of that is given to them and they deserve it. This is when the problems start. By the time they are in college, this has only be amplified and enhanced by college recruiters, alumni, etc... Then the NCAA and Colleges add to this by letting them get away with not attending classes. Their job is to win games, get the team to bowl games and who cares about the education, respecting others and working hard in all areas of life. Some really buy into all this and are always outside of society, others do not.

Everyone of us learns by reinforcement and if you are pushed and praised because you make tackles, score points, run quickly and throw touchdowns, guess what you learn... to worry about the game only and the rest doesn't matter. It takes a village to raise a child and the village that is raising these children is the football community.

You seldolm hear of issues at div 3 schools that stress academics more than the game. I am not naive and know they have problems too, but they are not as big or as wide spread around the team. Kids know they need a good education because chances of making NFL are smaller.

For those of us that are not gifted atheletes, our behaviors are reinforced for other actions than football and we do those more to get our "rewards". 

To make this go away, you need to stop treating them special a lot earlier than college. It needs to start at home. We always let the parents off and blame society or college. When parents stopped discipling their kids (do not mean beating them) and stopped making home a safe place to be, the kids learned to be "entitled" and undisciplined. Time for all of us to get back to the basics. Treat others as you would want to be treated, and when you don't there are penalties in place to make sure you remember.

By the time they are in college they are who they are and college only amplifies who they are.

--- " I am a happy fan, a proud fan and I want us to win every game 28-0 but as long as we win, the team is united and has a sense of respect to the community and the game I will be a patriots fan and damn proud of it." ---- signed a pats fan from middle earth