The Overlooked Stories of the Season

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from USMCM1A1. Show USMCM1A1's posts

The Overlooked Stories of the Season

So I'm done with the Moss trade. I think there are some pretty important other stories out there:

1.  What's wrong with Sebastion Vollmer?  He's been terrible this year.  He's already given up more pressures at the quarter mark (15) than he did all last season (13).  Seriously--is he hurt?  Did he take the off-season, well, off?

2.  Jerod Mayo is back in beast form.  We were all hoping he'd be back to form this year, and at the beginning of the year, and then he didn't look so good at the beginning of the season  He's back I think, and currently ranks 3rd in the NFL for tackles.  That's a really encouraging sign.

3. Special Teams.  No, I don't mean blocked kicks.  I mean regular old, day to day special teams work.  Guess who's second in kick-off touchbacks?  In the Miami game Gostowski kicked off 7 times, with 5 TBs.  That's huge.  Mesko had three punts, with a long of 60 and one inside the 20--that's huge also.  Our special teams are headed in the right direction.

4. Look at our rookie production.  I don't know the exact numbers for the league, but who else has six rookies making significant contributions outside of special team?  This snippet from ProFootbalFocus is a snapshot:

Rookie report

For New England, Jermaine Cunningham picked up two quarterback    pressures on 29 pass rushes. … Fellow linebacker Brandon Spikes had a quiet day with just one tackle. … Devin McCourty (+1.8) displayed first-round talent in breaking up a ball and allowing just 8 yards on three throws his way. …  DE Brandon Deaderick (+2.2) made a serious case for more playing time and looked immovable at the end spot. … Rookie tight ends Aaron Hernandez and Rob Gronkowski had decent days for different reasons. Gronkowski continues to impress with his run blocking, while Hernandez caught five of five balls thrown his way. … Punter Zoltan Mesko (+0.5) was solid with his punting and did well to catch a very high snap when holding.

Not so much rookie action for Miami. WR Roberto Wallace was thrown at once in limited action. … TE Mickey Shuler (0.0) didn’t embarrass himself in 13 snaps. … In a reduced role (25 snaps), Koa Misi (+1.2) picked up a sack and two quarterback pressures.

They'll just get better as they learn the system and how to be pros.

Anyway, I just think there's a lot going on for the Pats besides a big-name trade, and a lot of it is positive.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from patriots44. Show patriots44's posts

Re: The Overlooked Stories of the Season

I agree Vollmer has looked terrible this season. I wrote earlier about this. The Rookies have more than carried their share of the load. I had hoped Spikes would be a bigger difference maker, I think it will just take a little time. well pleased with Cunningham's progression along with McCourty. Hernandez is awesome and Gronk will become a Beast.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from TrueChamp. Show TrueChamp's posts

Good Post man! I have called out Volmers name more then once in disgust. Then again tackles do get beat from time to time but the # you posted is significant.

Mayo looks great and Chung in my eyes is the real story of the season so far. Not just because the Fins game. The guy had 16 tackles the other day with 12 solo. He is a play maker.

Tate has 3 kick rt tds including the preseason. WOW. The kid has wheels and so far has more catches then Moss although he plays behind him. 11 catches on 13 targets. I think Tate will have a big impact this year.

Last I really think Gerrard Warren is playing good. He is bigger then I thought he was and has already made some big plays. I like how we moved Wilfork around a lot against the Fins. Put him at DE and Wright in the middle.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from user_3928595. Show user_3928595's posts

In Response to The Overlooked Stories of the Season:
    [QUOTE]So I'm done with the Moss trade. I think there are some pretty important other stories out there: 1.  What's wrong with Sebastion Vollmer?  He's been terrible this year.  He's already given up more pressures at the quarter mark (15) than he did all last season (13).  Seriously--is he hurt?  Did he take the off-season, well, off? 2.  Jerod Mayo is back in beast form.  We were all hoping he'd be back to form this year, and at the beginning of the year, and then he didn't look so good at the beginning of the season  He's back I think, and currently ranks 3rd in the NFL for tackles .  That's a really encouraging sign. 3. Special Teams.  No, I don't mean blocked kicks.  I mean regular old, day to day special teams work.  Guess who's second in kick-off touchbacks?  In the Miami game Gostowski kicked off 7 times, with 5 TBs.  That's huge.  Mesko had three punts, with a long of 60 and one inside the 20--that's huge also.  Our special teams are headed in the right direction. 4. Look at our rookie production.  I don't know the exact numbers for the league, but who else has six rookies making significant contributions outside of special team?  This snippet from ProFootbalFocus is a snapshot:    Rookie report    For New England, Jermaine Cunningham picked up two quarterback    pressures on 29 pass rushes. … Fellow linebacker Brandon Spikes had a quiet day with just one tackle. … Devin McCourty ( +1.8 ) displayed first-round talent in breaking up a ball and allowing just 8 yards on three throws his way. …  DE Brandon Deaderick ( +2.2 ) made a serious case for more playing time and looked immovable at the end spot. … Rookie tight ends Aaron Hernandez and Rob Gronkowski had decent days for different reasons. Gronkowski continues to impress with his run blocking, while Hernandez caught five of five balls thrown his way. … Punter Zoltan Mesko ( +0.5 ) was solid with his punting and did well to catch a very high snap when holding. Not so much rookie action for Miami. WR Roberto Wallace was thrown at once in limited action. … TE Mickey Shuler ( 0.0 ) didn’t embarrass himself in 13 snaps. … In a reduced role (25 snaps), Koa Misi ( +1.2 ) picked up a sack and two quarterback pressures. They'll just get better as they learn the system and how to be pros.   Anyway, I just think there's a lot going on for the Pats besides a big-name trade, and a lot of it is positive.
    Posted by USMCM1A1[/QUOTE]

Excellent thread, and I agree with every point you made! I thought I was the only one thought Vollmer has regressed. One point I'll make; a friend of mine lives in Alabama and goes to all their games (Roll Tide!). When we drafted Deadrick in the 7th round he called me and was raving about what a beast the kid is. He even stated he thought in the long run Deadrick will have more of an impact that Mount Cody. Hyperbole? Probably, but the point is he knows what he is talking about and I think Deadrick will be a player for us.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from BSII. Show BSII's posts

Connolly making Mankins holdout a non-issue.  He's held his own and shows impressive mobility. 

Also like the fire Brady has displayed this year after his robotic 2009.  Trying hard to fill the leadership void.  Seems like a tighter team this year.  Next few weeks will tell that story.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from p-mike. Show p-mike's posts

Vollmer has regressed?

Regressed from what?

A rookie who shone in limited playing time?

The guy is taking on full-time responsibilities and there are going to be growing pains. I expect this kind of idiocy from Sybil (Quagmire), but I had come to expect more form the fake Marine.

That will teach me.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from kansaspatriot. Show kansaspatriot's posts

In Response to Re: The Overlooked Stories of the Season:
    [QUOTE]I think Deadrick will be a player for us.
    Posted by Quagmire1[/QUOTE]

BB did a good thing picking him up.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from Asher77. Show Asher77's posts

Didn't Vollmer play LT last year in place of an injured Light, maybe this year since Light can't move over he is haveing a little more trouble adjusting to RT, some guys are just stronger and more mobile moving one direction as apposed to the other. He is still learning and may develop on the right side but either way it increases his versatility.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from agcsbill. Show agcsbill's posts

It is far better to see the glass half FULL, than half empty, which seems the case for many posters on here.  I can imagine what it would be like if the team and the coaches had the outlook on the season some of these folks seem to have, too.  Even after the Buffalo win, folks were sounding not too positive! 

Tank Driver (with a moniker of USMCM1A1, I figure you are tank corp.. my brother was a commnander and did mop up duty in the first Irag war, had fun shooting at the broken down Russian T's ) good post, we need some positive on here, and not just when the Pats win!

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from lightningbrain. Show lightningbrain's posts

I fear that Vollmer is done, but I don't think he regressed or took the offseason, um, off.  He is huge, even amoung lineman.  Is is tough to block for even the most powerful d-lineman.  So last year, he excelled.  This year, I see teams putting smaller, much faster, players on him.  He's suddenly too big.  I don't see how this can be overcome.  I fear Vollmer isn't going to make it.  :(

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from USMCM1A1. Show USMCM1A1's posts

[QUOTE]Vollmer has regressed? Regressed from what? A rookie who shone in limited playing time? The guy is taking on full-time responsibilities and there are going to be growing pains. I expect this kind of idiocy from Sybil (Quagmire), but I had come to expect more form the fake Marine. That will teach me.
    Posted by p-mike[/QUOTE]

From ESPN Boston's Pats' Blog:
    "In addition to his struggles in pass protection, RT Sebastian Vollmer had occasional trouble with run blocking as well. On a first-and-10 run early in the third quarter, Vollmer and TE Alge Crumpler initially opened a hole on the right side of the line. Crumpler sealed the outside, but DE Kendall Langford pushed Vollmer aside and to the ground, filling the hole. Langford made the stop along with ILB Karlos Dansby, who bounced off a block from pulling LG Dan Connolly that was also designed to clear the running lane for BenJarvus Green-Ellis."

From Tom Curran at NECN:

MOST UNPLEASANT SURPRISE

Sebastian Vollmer. He's been a beast in run-blocking but, after the win at Miami, he looked like a liability in pass protection. Given how solid he was last year against Dwight Freeney when he stood in at left tackle, it was alarming to see him get turnstiled by Cameron Wake.

I'm not making this up dude--something's wrong with Vollmer.

And why are you being such a pouty little nancy anway?  Someone pee in your mouth this morning?  Tongue out

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from N464Mex-N460A. Show N464Mex-N460A's posts

maybe he is dinged up. that might explain why that brought ojinaka back

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from USMCM1A1. Show USMCM1A1's posts

[QUOTE]Tank Driver (with a moniker of USMCM1A1, I figure you are tank corp.. my brother was a commnander and did mop up duty in the first Irag war, had fun shooting at the broken down Russian T's ) good post, we need some positive on here, and not just when the Pats win!
    Posted by agcsbill[/QUOTE]

I was a tank platoon commander and tank company XO at 2d Tanks (2d MARDIV).  Only time I ever drove a tank was M-60's at Armor Officer Basic Course :)

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from mthurl. Show mthurl's posts

Maybe he should of stayed on the left side? Must be hard to make a move like that in the nfl with only a season under your belt.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from user_3928595. Show user_3928595's posts

[QUOTE]Vollmer has regressed? Regressed from what? A rookie who shone in limited playing time? The guy is taking on full-time responsibilities and there are going to be growing pains. I expect this kind of idiocy from Sybil (Quagmire), but I had come to expect more form the fake Marine. That will teach me.
    Posted by p-mike[/QUOTE]

"A rookie who shone in limited playing time" Check your facts dude. Vollmer was getting starter minutes by the end of the year And if you think he hasnt regressed from his play last year your not watching. P.S. your gay

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from carawaydj. Show carawaydj's posts

Posted by p-mike[/QUOTE]

This post is a bit out of character for you.  Having a bad day?  As a former tanker myself, albeit for the US Army, I can read his one post here and definitively say he is legit.  How?

1. Most people would have used vulgar insults after accusing them of being fake.  His response called you out, but demonstrated restraint.  USMC officers are as professional as they come.  

2. Nobody except a real USMC tanker would know that the Army equivalent of a Platoon Leader is called a Platoon Commander in the Marines.  Nor would they know that the only time a Platoon Commander would drive a tank is in the Armor Officer Basic Course, or even that a course with that name even existed.  Finally, they would have no clue that the Marines held onto the M-60 tank long after it disappeared from any Army units and schools.  

Really, lighten up.  You also understate the amount of playing time Vollmer got last year.  He wasn't a starter for every game, but he got some decent playing time.  I'm not worried about him "yet" though.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from USMCM1A1. Show USMCM1A1's posts

[QUOTE]You also understate the amount of playing time Vollmer got last year.  He wasn't a starter for every game, but he got some decent playing time.  I'm not worried about him "yet" though.
    Posted by carawaydj[/QUOTE]

He did get decent playing time--he played in 14 games last season, starting 8.  And I'm not ready to get rid of him yet, I just want to know what's happening with him (I wonder if he's injured and not playing at 100%?)

And thanks for the kind words about the Marine Corps :)  When were you at Knox?  I had an unusual experience there in that I had a pretty big gap between graduating The Basic School and AOB, and so I got a slot at Scout Platoon Leaders Course.  So as a total newb officer I did it backwards, SPLC and then to AOB, (this would have been back in 91).

What an awesome experience--toughest and best military school I've gone to, with crazy (+50%) attrition.   I was a kid then--great times :)

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from Muzwell. Show Muzwell's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: The Overlooked Stories of the Season : ... And thanks for the kind words about the Marine Corps :)  ....

Thanks to you and caraway (and anyone else reading this) for your service and for providing the rest of us with the freedom to spout off about football and other meaningless stuff. 

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsEng. Show PatsEng's posts

In Response to The Overlooked Stories of the Season:
    [QUOTE]So I'm done with the Moss trade. I think there are some pretty important other stories out there: 1.  What's wrong with Sebastion Vollmer?  He's been terrible this year.  He's already given up more pressures at the quarter mark (15) than he did all last season (13).  Seriously--is he hurt?  Did he take the off-season, well, off? 2.  Jerod Mayo is back in beast form.  We were all hoping he'd be back to form this year, and at the beginning of the year, and then he didn't look so good at the beginning of the season  He's back I think, and currently ranks 3rd in the NFL for tackles .  That's a really encouraging sign. 3. Special Teams.  No, I don't mean blocked kicks.  I mean regular old, day to day special teams work.  Guess who's second in kick-off touchbacks?  In the Miami game Gostowski kicked off 7 times, with 5 TBs.  That's huge.  Mesko had three punts, with a long of 60 and one inside the 20--that's huge also.  Our special teams are headed in the right direction. 4. Look at our rookie production.  I don't know the exact numbers for the league, but who else has six rookies making significant contributions outside of special team?  This snippet from ProFootbalFocus is a snapshot:    Rookie report    For New England, Jermaine Cunningham picked up two quarterback    pressures on 29 pass rushes. … Fellow linebacker Brandon Spikes had a quiet day with just one tackle. … Devin McCourty ( +1.8 ) displayed first-round talent in breaking up a ball and allowing just 8 yards on three throws his way. …  DE Brandon Deaderick ( +2.2 ) made a serious case for more playing time and looked immovable at the end spot. … Rookie tight ends Aaron Hernandez and Rob Gronkowski had decent days for different reasons. Gronkowski continues to impress with his run blocking, while Hernandez caught five of five balls thrown his way. … Punter Zoltan Mesko ( +0.5 ) was solid with his punting and did well to catch a very high snap when holding. Not so much rookie action for Miami. WR Roberto Wallace was thrown at once in limited action. … TE Mickey Shuler ( 0.0 ) didn’t embarrass himself in 13 snaps. … In a reduced role (25 snaps), Koa Misi ( +1.2 ) picked up a sack and two quarterback pressures. They'll just get better as they learn the system and how to be pros.   Anyway, I just think there's a lot going on for the Pats besides a big-name trade, and a lot of it is positive.

First excellent post, very well thought out.

1) I think it's a combination of things really. I think that he's hit a sophomore slump now that he's a full time starter. But I still see a lot of what made him special last year. I also think that he hasn't adjusted to having Neal to his left. I know it's a weird thing but at times it almost looks like he's expecting Neal to shift his player over towards Koppen and flex towards Vollmer from time to time like Mankins use to.

2) He's looked real good this year. I do believe last year was because of the injury and he'll get back into form this year.

3) ST's has really picked it up this year. It's almost like they forgot about the last couple years and went back to the tough noised lets not give them any extra yards ST's we use to have.

4) It's not just the rooks but also the 2nd year players making significant progress. McCourty, Chung, Hernandez, Gronk, Zoltan, Ingram, and Spikes have already made an impact this year. Cunningham, Deadrick, Tate, and Brace are making huge strides. Arrlington and Vollmer have looked great at times then look lost so they need to put it together. Butler has taken a down turn but I've always said CB's take 2-4 years to develop and he has to much talent to not improve. Don't forget that Woodhead and Edelman are only a second year players too. That's 16 players out of 53, over a 1/4 of the roster. I like to see another team have that many 1-2 year players and still be 3-1

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from rtuinila. Show rtuinila's posts

Vollmers problems may be due to familiarity. Other teams are now familiar with his strengths and weaknesses so he needs to develope new techniques to deal with players always playing to his weaknesses. I imagine it is one of the biggest reasons for the "sophomore slump". That and complacency after a good first year but Vollmer doesn't strike me as the complacent type. He is just going through some growing pains and by the end of the season will be as good as he was last year.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from carawaydj. Show carawaydj's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: The Overlooked Stories of the Season : ...When were you at Knox?  I had an unusual experience there in that I had a pretty big gap between graduating The Basic School and AOB, and so I got a slot at Scout Platoon Leaders Course.  So as a total newb officer I did it backwards, SPLC and then to AOB, (this would have been back in 91). What an awesome experience--toughest and best military school I've gone to, with crazy (+50%) attrition.   I was a kid then--great times :)

I did my Armor basic training at Knox in 1982.  I was the third training class for the brand spanking new M1 lol.  In fact, the labels inside the tank still had the XM1 designation.  I returned in 1991 for Master Gunner School.  Maybe we crossed paths at the Rocker (aka Hog Heaven).  Went back in 94 for NCO Advanced Course.  Just when I thought I had seen the last of the place, I returned in 96 to receive M1A2 training in preparation of training the Saudi military in Tabuk.

Since leaving the military I have worked as a contractor, and have interacted with the Marines often.  One of my stints was on Camp Smith in Hawaii for Booz Allen Hamilton.  I loved the Army, but the level of professionalism exhibited by Marines in their daily duties is beyond reproach.  I don't think many people can appreciate it or even understand that without seeing it firsthand.  I was duly impressed and use it as an example in how I conduct my business.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from harleyroadking1. Show harleyroadking1's posts

USMC and Caraway....trade you a ride in a tank for a ride on the Harley that would be so cool..and thanks for your service.

Vollmer was asked to block two people on the play that Wake came through untouched..that or it was break down.  Maybe this explains going to the 2 TE set and running instead of leaving TB unprotected......and this led to Moss being traded EUREKA!!!!!!