The Patriots and their Tight End situation

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from ronf. Show ronf's posts

The Patriots and their Tight End situation

Over the years the Pats have had some great Tight Ends. Russ Francis and Ben Coates come to mind. Under Bill Belichick the Pats have spent multiple first and second round picks for TEs. Often, these TEs have been relegated to blocking much of the time. Other teams such as the Colts make use of the TE as an important part of their passing attack. On the way out the door, Ben Watson said the Pats just don't focus on the TE. I found that to be an ironic statement because the Pats draft so high and so often on the TE position. Do you think this trent will continue? After all, here we are with two new rookie TEs that are well skilled at catching the football. Belichick really values the TE position but has not got much production from the TE the last few years. Perhaps the offense will take on a new look this coming season?

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from themightypatriotz. Show themightypatriotz's posts

Re: The Patriots and their Tight End situation

If the tight ends got open, Brady would throw to them.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from koft. Show koft's posts

In Response to Re: The Patriots and their Tight End situation:
    [QUOTE]If the tight ends got open, Brady would throw to them.
    Posted by themightypatriotz[/QUOTE]

with gronkowski and hernandez BB got himself TWO First round picks. say what? yes they are #1 round calibre draft picks who dropped lower due to extenuating circumstances...gronkowski`s back was a worry which kept him out of the first round, and with hernandez it was his proclivity to indulge in canabis products from time to time that was the cause of his fall. the only thing that should matter is that they both play like the elite players they are, and that IS they ARE the creme de la creme when it comes to college TEs. BB really had a field day getting these two in the same draft.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from kansaspatriot. Show kansaspatriot's posts

In Response to The Patriots and their Tight End situation:
    On the way out the door, Ben Watson said the Pats just don't focus on the TE. Posted by RonF

he rationalized his ineptness. I think BB has finally found a good TE corps. Hope hernandez becomes the new dallas clark, and gronk becomes the new jason witten

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from Tcal2. Show Tcal2's posts

I'm just happy Thump is gone.  6 year of no production from the position is about to end in a big way.  I can see many offensive records being broken this year. 

Never again will you see a 4th down swing pass thrown to a RB....never.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from Rockdog1293000. Show Rockdog1293000's posts

And your rationalizing the Pats total and complete disregard of the tight end position. Guys like Ben Watson and Dave Thomas clearly stunk. Oh yeah, Thomas won a superbowl and had over 300 receiving yards in limited action with the Saints last year despite being basically thrown away by the Pats for a 7th round pick.

I'm not saying Watson or Graham were great. They weren't. But this 'NOW we have talent at TE and everything will be ok' attitude is off. If the Pats offense consisted of more than just throwing underneath to Welker, deep to Moss, and draws to Faulk maybe they'd have more production at TE.

I love the enthusiasm, but hernandez= dallas clark. Really? Same thing for Gronk. Let's wait until they produce to put them in the HOF.

In Response to The Patriots and their Tight End situation : he rationalized his ineptness. I think BB has finally found a good TE corps. Hope hernandez becomes the new dallas clark, and gronk becomes the new jason witten
    Posted by kansaspatriot

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from ipats. Show ipats's posts

In the Charlie Weis years the role of the tight ends was pretty well defined. They helped the run, were a big part of the red zone offense, and feasted on zone defenses with the underneath stuff.

But since Weis left and they opened things up, the TE role changed a lot. Their running game hasn't been the same since Graham left. Watson tried, but he wasn't that good of a run blocker. And the signing of Welker took away a lot of the underneath stuff that was previously TE catches.

I think Welker's injury and the draft picks indicate a change back to a more balanced attack. At least I hope so!

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from shenanigan. Show shenanigan's posts

I hope they improved their scouting process.  I think Watson was the most athletic TE available but not the best.  When I see them picking up guys like Edelman and Hernandez it makes me think they are focusing less on the combine numbers and more on the football film.  The Pats haven't been great at picking skill position players in the draft but I think they are getting better.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from Patriots1970. Show Patriots1970's posts

@ Rockdog - I agree the Pats did not utlize TEs as well as they could have and ipats is spot on in his assessment.

I think last year the entire defense was vanilla, so hopefully O'Brien mixes things up a bit as we have two blocking tight ends and hope all of them can catch the ball once the game begins...

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from Rockdog1293000. Show Rockdog1293000's posts

I hope you're right. In general, even their FA picks at TE haven't turned out that well. Giving $$$ and years to Chris freakin Baker? Baker was a backup to Dustin Keller, and yet the Pats were all in love with the guy (who also wore a Yankees hat proudly around the locker room...what a dou che. Trading a draft pick for Alex Smith was just an awful move, made even worse by their decision to throw David Thomas away even though he played the best in preseason and in training camp. Their TE scouting hasn't been bad, it's been horrendous. 

I hope the people are right about the two rookies, but a reasonable person should be skeptical based on their track record. I mean, a monkey picking players out of a lineup probably would've hat a 'hit' on a TE by this point considering all the resources they've put into the position the last eight years. 

If all else fails, bring back Jermaine Wiggins!

I hope they improved their scouting process.  I think Watson was the most athletic TE available but not the best.  When I see them picking up guys like Edelman and Hernandez it makes me think they are focusing less on the combine numbers and more on the football film.  The Pats haven't been great at picking skill position players in the draft but I think they are getting better.
    Posted by shenanigan

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from Rockdog1293000. Show Rockdog1293000's posts

If the TE's are used for blocking 50% of the time, and are the third or fourth option on most passing plays then they'll never see the ball. 

If the tight ends got open, Brady would throw to them.
    Posted by themightypatriotz

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from LittleTimmy31. Show LittleTimmy31's posts

If these young guys the Pats have now at TE doesen't work, not sure what to tell ya.

In all honesty though, I'm more interested in the 'tight ends' of the Patriots hot cheerleaders! (.)(.)

Go Pats!

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from Philskiw. Show Philskiw's posts

I think if we had a good smash mouth running game that would open  up the play action pass more and the tight ends would be thrown to more. Watson lost his hands some where thru the process. He started off fast and just faded away in the end of his contract. But forever he will live in Patriots lore running down champ bailey in denver.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from ShiningWizard. Show ShiningWizard's posts

Belichick basically looks at the TE position as an extension of the offensive line.  If he had 2 all-pro caliber OTs protecting Brady, then you would've seen Brady throwing to guys like Watson/Graham/Baker/etc. more down the seam and in the flats.  Light and Kazcur have needed constant support from the TEs to chip away at guys like Freeney.  When that type of offense staggered in '06 after Branch and Givens were gone, BB did away with using the TE altogether in favor of the spread formation with Welker and Moss. 

I think if the Pats truly commit to being a more balanced offense then guys like Gronk and Hernandez become key parts.  They have to address the running game in this next draft (Mark Ingrim!). 

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from LazarusintheSanatorium. Show LazarusintheSanatorium's posts

ALL:

Imho, The personel (i.e. players themselves) WERE the ones who were lacking...  Now don't get me wrong, Wizard here is right on the $ RE: Needing to keep at least 1 TE on the line in order to protect Brady, whom as we know too-well, Our Offense lives and dies by, far, FAR more than any other position or specific player.  

Yet, It appears to me at least, That even back to circa 2005/2006, Bill Belichick WILL go out and trade for a TE very readily and/or Select a TE in the Draft pretty early on...   

Now, What Am I gettin' at?  A: I'm glad this thread was started, because RE: Defense, I trully believe that BB's gonna use this year, Some variation of The Cover 1 D (with the twist of having 2 or even 3 Interchangeable Safeties...  YET, On OFFENSE, Again and again, I've been tryin' to make sense out of Belichick Drfting not 1, But 2 TEs, AND even moreso, Drafting 2 TEs with different skill-sets (Comparatively speaking now, Gronkowski-UNreal blocker, decent speed and decent hands, Yet not a true threat when he does get the ball with the fielld elusiveness of Vernon Davis/Jermichael Finley/// Hernandez-pretty strong, great routes, perfect hands, Yet not a guy who'll be able to maul a D-Lineman like Gronkowski can)...

Again, WHAT does this mean?  Think circa 2005-2006.  NE already has Graham & Watson on the team, So Why in the world, Select David Thomas AND Garret Mills?  AND, What does this have to do with NE's current TE roster players/draftees?  

I'll tell ya:  Graham + Watson have an eerily similiar game set as Gronkowski (on a whole, or at least "moreso"), WHILE Thomas + Mills also, Have an eerily similiar skill-set as Hernandez. 
         RE: Losing Watson, Graham, & Thomas...what COULD Belichick Do?   Watson wasn't either great at having soft hands, running good routes, and despite his decent size, He really wasn't a mauling blocker by any means (sureyou miraculously get him the ball, and he can make defenders miss=But again, as FA rolled around, Watson's singular skills were overpaid in FA...who cares).  Graham wasn't a true pass-catching threat but he was an incredible Blocker (although he did have much more rounded skills overall than Watson)=But once again, Denver paid VERY handsomely (I think?), For Graham's services when he hit FA a few years back (Salary Cap?...again, what can ya do).  Now David Thomas=Great potential to be that pass-catching Dallas Clark type TE, YET hegets hurt, then he gets hurt again...then I'm pretty certain, Thomas gets hurt a 3rd time (and what do you do again-Keep him on forever with these injury issues again and again?)

And THIS ALL Means imho 1 Thing:  Belichick has wanted for some time to exploit the various usages of having a 2 TE set on Offense...  Below, I offer a great link I came across, On what it could possibly mean for NE's Offense, On how to exploit Today's NFL Defenses:

Before I offer up the link, THINK The Following points/questions as you read through it:

More teams playing 3-4 Defenses=Less Defenders right on the LOS, and even bringing 1 more LB up to the LOS, Does not offset an Offensive team with 7 guys up or right @ The LOS...The Result=EASY 4 yard run play.

Defensive Team's LBs are unable to cheat too far up to the LOS, Because IF you have 7 men right at the LOS (TE OT OG OC OG OT TE) a team can flank to each far sides of the LOS 2 above-average WRs, So NOW=The Defense not only has to wonder about those wideouts beating less defensive coverages (IF those LBs try to stop a potential run-play by cheating forward), BUT The Defense STILL has to worry about those TEs and the single RB as eligible receivers=Again, This equals an easy run-play, or a potentially Huge Pass-Play (IF the defense plays it as a run).

Finally, Think what having a pass-catching TE instead of a standard FullBack means in today's NFL=Fullback-slower, not a great pass-catcher, and maybe a bit of a better blocker than a pass-catching TE/Pass-Catching TE-Faster, Excellent hands & route trees, The SAME size (IF not just a speck Bigger) than a FB=not giving up much in terms of blocking ability, YET gaining 100X more in terms of that pass-catching TE being a far, far better Offensive Weapon.

~Again people, This is ALL about VERSATILITY...Mixing up formation designs-THEN Having the Defense react to that formation-THEN having the ability for the QB to call a slight audible in order to exploit what that Defense is thinking the offense's play to be.

HERE IS The Link...It IS a MUST Read to get a better understanding of ways to exploit a Defense using a 2 TE set:

http://www.footballoutsiders.com/strategy-minicamps/2006/too-deep-zone-running-multiple-tight-ends

...now that I look at it, Which poster was doing all the "Football Outsiders" stuff...I might have to credit this to him.  

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from unclealfie. Show unclealfie's posts

Posted by shenanigan

Watson was your typical "workout warrior".

He had great size, speed and muscle, seeming like a HOFer on paper, but never really worked all that talent into becoming a playmaker. He was more like a playbreaker, always dropping the critical 3rd down catch or fumbling at the worst possible time.

He won't be missed in these parts.  

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from Jimmy42Jack0. Show Jimmy42Jack0's posts

And your rationalizing the Pats total and complete disregard of the tight end position. Guys like Ben Watson and Dave Thomas clearly stunk. Oh yeah, Thomas won a superbowl and had over 300 receiving yards in limited action with the Saints last year despite being basically thrown away by the Pats for a 7th round pick. I'm not saying Watson or Graham were great. They weren't. But this 'NOW we have talent at TE and everything will be ok' attitude is off. If the Pats offense consisted of more than just throwing underneath to Welker, deep to Moss, and draws to Faulk maybe they'd have more production at TE. I love the enthusiasm, but hernandez= dallas clark. Really? Same thing for Gronk. Let's wait until they produce to put them in the HOF. In Response to Re: The Patriots and their Tight End situation :
    Posted by Rockdog1293000

well said...i dont understand what is so difficult to understand about this...its not like the pats are just going to magically stop throwing to randy and welker so they can run more 2-3 TE sets...remember....its a spread offense...ie...finesse

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from LazarusintheSanatorium. Show LazarusintheSanatorium's posts

In Response to Re: The Patriots and their Tight End situation : well said...i dont understand what is so difficult to understand about this...its not like the pats are just going to magically stop throwing to randy and welker so they can run more 2-3 TE sets...remember....its a spread offense...ie...finesse
    Posted by Jimmy42Jack0

Wrong...Read the article in the link which I provided in my previous post...

See, A spread formation with 3 or more true WRs, certainly has very specific benefits, Most certainly in a 2nd and/or definately 3rd and long, but now ya ONLY got 5-6 men protecting your QB (including either IF the TE or a RB stays in to help block, rather than themselves going out for a pass).  THIS might work when you have ALL-Pro O-Linemen, who can ward off a blitz, or even a 4-5 man rush from The Defense...

So just for a second now, Think of the alternative (which is ESPECIALLY within NE's case of having a BIG ? in regards to NE having any threatening type of #2 possession wide receiver).  What do ya do then?  You place your 2 best WRs far right and far left to the LOS, and NOW you have 2 TEs on the LOS and a 1 RB backfield (rather than having 1 TE, or just 1 RB, But a 3 or 4 WR spread formation set)...  Suddenly, by having 2 TEs, and your 2 best WRs spread wide on either side, The Oppossing Defense NOW has to account for a much more versatile (schematic/actual "play-wise")- overall look to that Offense.

The Defense goes, "Man the O' has 7 guys right at the LOS, That's a power-formation if I ever saw one...The offense is definately gonna Run the ball then; So IF we're in a 3-4 D, They're gonna blow our 3 D-Lineman off the ball and get an easy 4-5 yard gain before the RB is even touched, So now-we better put one of our 4 LBs right at the LOS...  But IF we're in a 4-3 Defense, And/OR After that 3-4 Defense placed 1 of their LBs at the LOS with the DLineman, I'm sayin' to myself-MAN though, we certainly CanNOT put another LB on our D-Line in order to counter those 7 Offensive guys at the LOS IF and WHEN they ARE running the ball, BECAUSE 2 of those guys on the LOS are Tight Ends, and man-THEY might go out for a pass, AND Not Only THAT-But we still gotta worry about the 2 best actual wide receivers who are flankd far to each side of the field, Since either one of them are simply too good to be accounted for without having extra defensive help for 1 or BOTH of them... 
         Then, as the Defense is now afraid to place an extra man in the box, because the secondary will get burned IF it IS an actual pass-play, and the remaining 3 LBs don't wanna encroach too close to the LOS (because recall, The D already put 1 LB on the D-Line)=The Oppossing Offense simply calls a pitch sweep run to either side...  And an even ADDED bonus to THIS (i.e. Offense decides to run the ball), IS that The Offense does NOT have to neccessarily Run the ball to the side which has the better, bigger Blocking TE-BECAUSE (check this out): That Offense can pull a Tackle, A Guard, BOTH, and/or set 1 of the TEs in motion to further confuse the Defense.
         But, IF the Defense DOES decide to place an extra man in the box, and the remaining 3 LBs DO edge closer to the LOS, That Defense is betting that it's gonna be a run:  So NOW, That Offense's QB calls another audible, and suddenly the oppossing Defense is far too bunched up trying to contain a run, To even remotely deal with 2 Good WRs, 1 OR 2 TEs, and/or even the RB as an eligible receiver...

Ya dig what I'm sayin' here?  Bill Belichick is ENTIRELY fanatical about Versatility...and with a two TE set, your Offense has a more disguised look to it, In terms of the O being able to equally Run OR Pass the ball (and IF you don't happen to have an ALL-Pro RB, and IF ya don't happen to have, not two, But THREE above-average true WRs, the idea of doing multiple TE sets makes even MORE sense).  Point is: Less looks and less versatility and less-guessing by the Oppossing Defense, when you have a 3 or 4 WR threat, Instead of a 2 WR threat, with 2 TEs...those multiple WRs are NOT gonna pick up an all-out blitz if need be, those multiple WRs are NOT gonna open up a hole IF it's a running play, BUT those 2 TEs (1 or both) ARE gonna be able to lay a body on some blitzing LB, even IF they just do a 1 hit thing before that TE runs a route, Those TEs in going in motion ARE viewed by the Defense as someone who can block OR be a pass-catching threat=

~The far different looks for what the actual play WILL Be when having 2 TEs and just 2 WRs, rather than multiple WR sets every time around, Imo Trumps the ability to spread the field just a bit more (i.e. deeper/longer gain)- When there are 3 or 4 WRs...  It's all about Versatility of scheme, Deception, Putting The Defense on THEIR heels, Establishing the running game in order to keep the defense 'honest', AND by not having a great #2 wideout (i.e. 3rd receiver), and by not having an ALL-Pro RB who can move the chains on his own...ALL of this, Means that it makes even greater sense for NE deploying multiple TE formations...        

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from Jimmy42Jack0. Show Jimmy42Jack0's posts

In Response to Re: The Patriots and their Tight End situation : Wrong...Read the article in the link which I provided in my previous post... See, A spread formation with 3 or more true WRs, certainly has very specific benefits, Most certainly in a 2nd and/or definately 3rd and long, but now ya ONLY got 5-6 men protecting your QB (including either IF the TE or a RB stays in to help block, rather than themselves going out for a pass).  THIS might work when you have ALL-Pro O-Linemen, who can ward off a blitz, or even a 4-5 man rush from The Defense... So just for a second now, Think of the alternative (which is ESPECIALLY within NE's case of having a BIG ? in regards to NE having any threatening type of #2 possession wide receiver).  What do ya do then?  You place your 2 best WRs far right and far left to the LOS, and NOW you have 2 TEs on the LOS and a 1 RB backfield (rather than having 1 TE, or just 1 RB, But a 3 or 4 WR spread formation set)...  Suddenly, by having 2 TEs, and your 2 best WRs spread wide on either side, The Oppossing Defense NOW has to account for a much more versatile (schematic/actual "play-wise")- overall look to that Offense. The Defense goes, "Man the O' has 7 guys right at the LOS, That's a power-formation if I ever saw one...The offense is definately gonna Run the ball then; So IF we're in a 3-4 D, They're gonna blow our 3 D-Lineman off the ball and get an easy 4-5 yard gain before the RB is even touched, So now-we better put one of our 4 LBs right at the LOS...  But IF we're in a 4-3 Defense, And/OR After that 3-4 Defense placed 1 of their LBs at the LOS with the DLineman, I'm sayin' to myself-MAN though, we certainly CanNOT put another LB on our D-Line in order to counter those 7 Offensive guys at the LOS IF and WHEN they ARE running the ball, BECAUSE 2 of those guys on the LOS are Tight Ends, and man-THEY might go out for a pass, AND Not Only THAT-But we still gotta worry about the 2 best actual wide receivers who are flankd far to each side of the field, Since either one of them are simply too good to be accounted for without having extra defensive help for 1 or BOTH of them...       Then, as the Defense is now afraid to place an extra man in the box, because the secondary will get burned IF it IS an actual pass-play, and the remaining 3 LBs don't wanna encroach too close to the LOS (because recall, The D already put 1 LB on the D-Line)=The Oppossing Offense simply calls a pitch sweep run to either side...  And an even ADDED bonus to THIS (i.e. Offense decides to run the ball), IS that The Offense does NOT have to neccessarily Run the ball to the side which has the better, bigger Blocking TE-BECAUSE (check this out): That Offense can pull a Tackle, A Guard, BOTH, and/or set 1 of the TEs in motion to further confuse the Defense.      But, IF the Defense DOES decide to place an extra man in the box, and the remaining 3 LBs DO edge closer to the LOS, That Defense is betting that it's gonna be a run:  So NOW, That Offense's QB calls another audible, and suddenly the oppossing Defense is far too bunched up trying to contain a run, To even remotely deal with 2 Good WRs, 1 OR 2 TEs, and/or even the RB as an eligible receiver... Ya dig what I'm sayin' here?  Bill Belichick is ENTIRELY fanatical about Versatility...and with a two TE set, your Offense has a more disguised look to it, In terms of the O being able to equally Run OR Pass the ball (and IF you don't happen to have an ALL-Pro RB, and IF ya don't happen to have, not two, But THREE above-average true WRs, the idea of doing multiple TE sets makes even MORE sense).  Point is: Less looks and less versatility and less-guessing by the Oppossing Defense, when you have a 3 or 4 WR threat, Instead of a 2 WR threat, with 2 TEs...those multiple WRs are NOT gonna pick up an all-out blitz if need be, those multiple WRs are NOT gonna open up a hole IF it's a running play, BUT those 2 TEs (1 or both) ARE gonna be able to lay a body on some blitzing LB, even IF they just do a 1 hit thing before that TE runs a route, Those TEs in going in motion ARE viewed by the Defense as someone who can block OR be a pass-catching threat=          ~ The far different looks for what the actual play WILL Be when having 2 TEs and just 2 WRs, rather than multiple WR sets every time around, Imo Trumps the ability to spread the field just a bit more (i.e. deeper/longer gain)- When there are 3 or 4 WRs...  It's all about Versatility of scheme, Deception, Putting The Defense on THEIR heels, Establishing the running game in order to keep the defense 'honest', AND by not having a great #2 wideout (i.e. 3rd receiver), and by not having an ALL-Pro RB who can move the chains on his own...ALL of this, Means that it makes even greater sense for NE deploying multiple TE formations. ..        
    Posted by LazarusintheSanatorium

ill be honest...i couldnt get through much of your continous run on sentence for a post...but i will agree that the pats will be much better off running power formations and scrapping that run & shoot crap they have been doing...it gets too predictable

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from LazarusintheSanatorium. Show LazarusintheSanatorium's posts

"I'll be honest...i couldnt get through much of your continous run on sentence for a post...but i will agree that the pats will be much better off running power formations and scrapping that run & shoot crap they have been doing...it gets too predictable."

Alright...Fine, fine, You summed up my main point in just under 3 Sentences, Whereas it took me 14 paragraphs of spontaneous prose, made up of broken nonsensical streams of consciousness.  I see now, So YOUR point is, "Dear god, Thank you Laz, for actually posting the shortened version of your theme, Because you seem to be too nice of a guy to be responsible for a mass suicide from every poster on here, If they had to read the the original 112page summary (I originally started at Exodus, and just ran with it until I hit upon the 2 TE formation).

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from viewer222. Show viewer222's posts

I am also surprised at no mention of Crumpler.
    The best TE combo for the Pats in the first decade of the 21st century was
    1) Ben Graham ,very good run blocker and could occasionally pull one down.
    2) Mike Vrabel, End zone TE specialist.
    Crumpler fits the same mold as Ben Graham and losing Graham i believe has altered the Pats ground scheme.
    I don't think Hernandez is going to be a full time TE, He is more suited to a slot or FB.
    The way BB uses TEs, I would think that 7th round draft pick Thomas Welch who was converted from TE to OL could possibly be a bigger version of Crumpler or Graham