The Pats need to improve red zone efficiency on both offense and defense

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from TheFantasyBaron. Show TheFantasyBaron's posts

The Pats need to improve red zone efficiency on both offense and defense

Hi all,

Figure lie and liars figure right?

Well I'm of the opinion that stats can be used to prove anything. I don't have the final season stats and I'm sure they're out there. I read how the Pat stink in the red zone in an article dated 11/18/09 by Erik Scalavino titled, " Red zone a red flag for Patriots", http://www.patriots.com/search/index.cfm?ac=searchdetail&pid=40416&pcid=41.

In the article the author points out that the "
    After nine games, New England ranks third in the NFL in points scored per game. Yet, the Patriots offense is just 25th overall in red zone efficiency.

On the other side of the ball, the numbers are equally perplexing.

The Patriots defense is third in the league in points allowed per game (less than 17 a contest). But they’re an abysmal 28th when it comes to surrendering red zone scores."

I included this bit of an old article because I think the Pats most glaring need is improving their play in redzone offense and defense. In between the 20s this is a great team. What's going on when they get in the red zone? I understand that its tougher in the red zone and that everyone's stats look worse there but the Pats are just downright horrible in the redzone on both sides of the ball.

Going into this season I'l pay more attention to this stat to see if it gets better or worse but it says a lot about this team and they're kicking lots of field goals and bend but not break (actually rupture) on defense.

This used to be a strength of the team through the good times and I've seen some older data from 2007 supporting the fact that this team used to be excellent in red zone efficiency.

Figures lie and liars figure I know but this is the one stats category that bears watching going forward.

By the way if anyone has the redzone efficiency stats for last year please post them. It would be nice to see where the Pats stand in relation to the rest of the NFL.

2. This post has been removed.

3. This post has been removed.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from kansaspatriot. Show kansaspatriot's posts

Re: The Pats need to improve red zone efficiency on both offense and defense

yes they need some fine tuning on both ends in the red zone i would agree. and now that BB has a punter that can boot it 60 yrads maybe he won't go for it on fourth down on his own 35 yrad line.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from ONE-TIME. Show ONE-TIME's posts

I really dont think this is rocket science here. The O last year was just all over the place , the play calling , the adjustments ( in game and after the game ) and personnel were never on the same page. And lets not forget about Bradys injury , both the knee , shoulder and ribs. Seriously , this cant be overstated enough , our all world QB just came off major knee surgery last year.  Years after his injury Carson Palmer still hasnt returned to the level hes accustomed to. Usually I like to look at things myself and not just follow what everyone else is saying , but our play calling last year was just terrible. Thats another thing that cant be overstated , I know Im not the only one that was calling out plays before and even 2-3 plays before it happened. But if I had to point to the biggest obstacle last year , I would have to say it was Brady and his injuries. He missed Randy about 4-5 times at the begining of the season for TD's and just was never consistant enough. LOL That said he still had a pretty good year , LOL fans in Oakland , Cleveland , Buffalo etc would sell their first born for a year like that from Russell and whoever the fu%k was playing QB for Cleveland and Buffalo. Another thing that this team has to figure out is getting another playmaker on O. Ive said this for years now , we depended WAY TOO MUCH on WW , as great as he was , he couldnt stretch the field and didnt get into the end zone at all. A guy like that should be your third option. Teams were all to happy giving him anything he wanted , just look at who was covering him? Teams would line up their 2 , 3 and sometimes 4th best CB and would double Moss w/ their best CB and S. I love it and laughed when people say that WW helped Randy more than he helped Wes. As if Moss all of a sudden blew up here in N.E. , do we forget 81 has well on his way to Canton before he got here. Wes didnt do chit in Miami for three years and blew up when he got here playing w/ a top 5-10 O-line , HOF QB and HOF WR. Teams loved it when we would force the ball to Wes because that meant Randy wasnt getting it and we weren't putting up 6. We really need another scoring threat because teams know how we score our points. It doesnt matter if its on the ground or through the air , but we absolutely need another guy to put up points for us. Its no secret on D either , no pass rush , weak CB's and S's and a revolving door at the 5 technique. Sure Bodden is a top10 CB , but Wilhite was just terrible last year. And I dont want to hear about the pass rush , he didnt play like a guy who if he had a pass rush would rip off opposing QB's for targeting him. Trust me I dont need to be told about what a pass rush can do for a team , but if you thought thats all we needed than you just dont have a clue. Teams made no secret about running at what would have been Sey's side and our ILB's looked slow , indecisive and couldnt come up w/ the big play when we needed them to. IMHO BB took all this to heart and we wont recognize this years D because they'll be flying around , anticipating opposing O's , and will be very sound fundamentally. Again when you looked at our D in the red zone last year it was no secret , no pass rush , to many holes to fill and teams would just go away from Bodden. In my heart of hearts I expect a whole new D in terms of passion  , recognizing/reading plays and wrapping up opposing players.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from Supernova13. Show Supernova13's posts

I think the red zone offense will be greatly improved this year. The addition of Rob Gronkowski will help stabilize that aspect of the game. He can use his size to create mismatches and produce TDs, not FGs.

As for the red zone D, I think it will improve, but I still feel it will be a weakness. 

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from garytx. Show garytx's posts

Offense -  Should be better.  We have that 3rd WR and TEs.  Vollmer added to the offensive line.  Big changes from last year.

Defense - On paper we got better.  As it looks the Pats should be able to shut down the run on the right side.  Pass rush is something in waiting.  It will pretty much depend upon Crable and Cunningham.  A big wait and see.  McCourty helps in nickel and dime packages.                

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from magicalhobo. Show magicalhobo's posts

First off, I'd like to say your avatar is pretty awesome Baron.

As for your thread, I agree. In years past I used to get excited when the Pats were in the red zone. However, as the season went on last year that excitement changed to fear. It's similar to how I used to feel about Ortiz stepping up to the plate. I think they'll get on track this year though. I haven't seen a BB coached, Tom Brady led team struggle like they did last year. They got rid of a couple bad eggs and picked up some youthful enthusiasm. The new TEs should help balance the offense and some of the other young guys will step up and become leaders. It's now been about two years since Brady's injury, so he should be back to form.

I'm a little worried about the loss of Welker, but Edelman seemed to have a nose for the end zone when he actually played. Didn't he have two TDs in the Ravens game? I think they'll be better this year, but no one should expect 2007 again.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from ewhite1065. Show ewhite1065's posts

Both the offensive and defensive stats seem to be a microcosm of the bad play we got last year from the O and D Lines. We need to be able to run the ball when we get down there or Defenses can just Tee off on Brady like they did last year. One of the things I'm interested in seeing most is how these late round Olineman that we drafted are going to pan out. I'd like to see at least one of them step up.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from BubbaInHawaii. Show BubbaInHawaii's posts

In Response to The Pats need to improve red zone efficiency on both offense and defense:
    Hi all, Figure lie and liars figure right? Well I'm of the opinion that stats can be used to prove anything. I don't have the final season stats and I'm sure they're out there. I read how the Pat stink in the red zone in an article dated 11/18/09 by Erik Scalavino titled, " Red zone a red flag for Patriots", http://www.patriots.com/search/index.cfm?ac=searchdetail&pid=40416&pcid=41 . In the article the author points out that the " After nine games, New England ranks third in the NFL in points scored per game. Yet, the Patriots offense is just 25th overall in red zone efficiency. On the other side of the ball, the numbers are equally perplexing. The Patriots defense is third in the league in points allowed per game (less than 17 a contest). But they’re an abysmal 28th when it comes to surrendering red zone scores." I included this bit of an old article because I think the Pats most glaring need is improving their play in redzone offense and defense. In between the 20s this is a great team. What's going on when they get in the red zone? I understand that its tougher in the red zone and that everyone's stats look worse there but the Pats are just downright horrible in the redzone on both sides of the ball. Going into this season I'l pay more attention to this stat to see if it gets better or worse but it says a lot about this team and they're kicking lots of field goals and bend but not break (actually rupture) on defense. This used to be a strength of the team through the good times and I've seen some older data from 2007 supporting the fact that this team used to be excellent in red zone efficiency. Figures lie and liars figure I know but this is the one stats category that bears watching going forward. By the way if anyone has the redzone efficiency stats for last year please post them. It would be nice to see where the Pats stand in relation to the rest of the NFL.
    Posted by TheFantasyBaron

I think the problem is taking the stats in context....as pts. allowed is different from pts. allowed when an opponent is in your red zone - same analogy for pts. scored on offense vs. pts. scored when in an opponents' red zone area.

We struggled in both the Red Zone offensive and defensive areas last year - whereas; in previous years, we did pretty well. Does it make a difference? Well, mebbe if our Red Zone D was better, BB wouldn't have gone on 4th and long from our side of the field when we played the Colts last year.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from TheFantasyBaron. Show TheFantasyBaron's posts

In Response to Re: The Pats need to improve red zone efficiency on both offense and defense:
    First off, I'd like to say your avatar is pretty awesome Baron. As for your thread, I agree. In years past I used to get excited when the Pats were in the red zone. However, as the season went on last year that excitement changed to fear. It's similar to how I used to feel about Ortiz stepping up to the plate. I think they'll get on track this year though. I haven't seen a BB coached, Tom Brady led team struggle like they did last year. They got rid of a couple bad eggs and picked up some youthful enthusiasm. The new TEs should help balance the offense and some of the other young guys will step up and become leaders. It's now been about two years since Brady's injury, so he should be back to form. I'm a little worried about the loss of Welker, but Edelman seemed to have a nose for the end zone when he actually played. Didn't he have two TDs in the Ravens game? I think they'll be better this year, but no one should expect 2007 again.
    Posted by magicalhobo

I agree with your  analogy with Ortiz. The overall percentage of teams in the red zone on offense is around 60%. When the Pats are around 45% that's a problem. I think a few more TDs and a few more stops and this team is greatly improved. I've never been so uncertain about a new season on either side of the ball and I hope that players feel an upswing, get excited and motivated and play up to their healthy full potential.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from shenanigan. Show shenanigan's posts

I don't know if the stats lie but it certainly looked like they could move the ball well until they got a short field.  Last year they stalled when they had to get short yardage with a run or pass.  Welker was the only threat, and the defense could focus on him.  I'm hoping the TE's open up the short yardage for both running and passing.

As for the defense, It seemed like they were just plain inconsistent.  I don't have the stats but it seems like I saw the defense do more 3 and outs last year than in previous years but they also just completely whiffed and gave up big plays more often.  Inconsistency, I think mostly due to inexperience.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from BTownExpress. Show BTownExpress's posts

I believe the team is quite aware of this one.  Of course, it doesn't hurt to remind the fans, etc...  Personally, I believe the offense will responbd in this direction.  If the new defense is up to the challenge, this team will win.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from TFB12. Show TFB12's posts

FRAT!  You are correct that the Pats need to improve in the red zone on both O and D.  But tell us something we don't know already!  This was obvious through the season last year.  I'm pretty sure this is at the top of their agenda!

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from Huggybear999. Show Huggybear999's posts

In Response to Re: The Pats need to improve red zone efficiency on both offense and defense:
    FRAT!  You are correct that the Pats need to improve in the red zone on both O and D.  But tell us something we don't know already!  This was obvious through the season last year.  I'm pretty sure this is at the top of their agenda!
    Posted by BradyMossFan

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from TFB12. Show TFB12's posts

nuthugger bear = m1021us.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from Huggybear999. Show Huggybear999's posts

nuthugger bear = m1021us.
    Posted by BradyMossFan

Whatever Doggg. Keep on trolling

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from underdoggg. Show underdoggg's posts

In Response to Re: The Pats need to improve red zone efficiency on both offense and defense : Whatever Doggg. Keep on trolling
    Posted by Huggybear999

If nothing else you get points for at least killing a once amusing spin. 

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from bradleyBliss. Show bradleyBliss's posts

In Response to Re: The Pats need to improve red zone efficiency on both offense and defense : Whatever Doggg. Keep on trolling
    Posted by Huggybear999

Hey Huggy! LUCKY YOU, getting "points" from doggie troll. I'll bet THAT made your day! LOL.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from mthurl. Show mthurl's posts

I think some of the size the new players have on offense at the skill spots will help a bit in the red zone. Hernandez, Crumpler, Price, Gronks, Tate.