The Pats should trade Gronk and Wilfork

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from Footballexpert45. Show Footballexpert45's posts

The Pats should trade Gronk and Wilfork

The Pats should really consider trading Gronk this upcoming offseason.  They could still get a high draft pick, maybe even a 1st.  They could then take Gronk pay and give it to a top safety in the FA or even draft.  

Wilfork still has value, so trade him now for picks, and use his salary on other needs.  Re-signing Talib and Edelman would be #1.

I know people are going to strongly disagree, but these players cannot be relied on to stay healthy for an entire NFL season, and you cannot afford waste so much $$ when other needs must be filled.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from newenglanderinexile. Show newenglanderinexile's posts

Re: The Pats should trade Gronk and Wilfork

In response to Footballexpert45's comment:
    [QUOTE]

The Pats should really consider trading Gronk this upcoming offseason.  They could still get a high draft pick, maybe even a 1st.  They could then take Gronk pay and give it to a top safety in the FA or even draft.  

Wilfork still has value, so trade him now for picks, and use his salary on other needs.  Re-signing Talib and Edelman would be #1.

I know people are going to strongly disagree, but these players cannot be relied on to stay healthy for an entire NFL season, and you cannot afford waste so much $$ when other needs must be filled.

[/QUOTE]

This is a great suggestion in theory, but word might have leaked out that Gronkowski and Wilfork suffered season-ending injuries.  It's hard to keep a secret these days.  Why would a team that knew about these injuries give up much in a trade? 

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from Footballexpert45. Show Footballexpert45's posts

In response to newenglanderinexile's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

This is a great suggestion in theory, but word might have leaked out that Gronkowski and Wilfork suffered season-ending injuries.  It's hard to keep a secret these days.  Why would a team that knew about these injuries give up much in a trade? 

[/QUOTE]

Nobody knows what teams would be willing too give up for Gronk and Wilfork, I just saying the Pats should dangle these players and see what out there.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from BabeParilli. Show BabeParilli's posts

I doubt you would get anything like you are expecting for either at this point. Wilfork is older and coming off a severe injury. Gronk is a chronic injury problem and coming off a severe injury as well.

I would be looking for Wilfork to retire a Patriot unless somebody offered a real sweetheart deal. He deserves some loyalty for his service unless something very much too good to pass up comes along.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from BabeParilli. Show BabeParilli's posts

and..... even if we could get a great draft pick for either, this GM is probably going to waste it.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from stinkman. Show stinkman's posts

In response to BabeParilli's comment:
    [QUOTE]

and..... even if we could get a great draft pick for either, this GM is probably going to waste it.

[/QUOTE]

Gronk is injured yes, but they are serious injuries, not hamstring pulls tightness. I would not trade either. How about surrounding them with better or elite talent. = BETTER DRAFTING OR FA.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from skinnyrexraptor. Show skinnyrexraptor's posts

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

BUST-CHISEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE!!!!!

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from mthurl. Show mthurl's posts

They won't get squat for either of these guys at this point, just about every part of Gronk's body has been surgically mended and Wilfork is a 350 pound 34 year old coming off a major injury. You couldn't package the both of them together for a second round pick at this point, especially with their contracts.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from Footballexpert45. Show Footballexpert45's posts

[QUOTE]

I doubt you would get anything like you are expecting for either at this point. Wilfork is older and coming off a severe injury. Gronk is a chronic injury problem and coming off a severe injury as well.

I would be looking for Wilfork to retire a Patriot unless somebody offered a real sweetheart deal. He deserves some loyalty for his service unless something very much too good to pass up comes along.

[/QUOTE]

Your probably right, but you just never know.  Especially for Gronk.  But the salary cap hit from these players are preventing the Pats from making some serious moves in FA.  Spending so much on injury prone players is killing this team.  I included Wilfork because of his age and his position doesn't bode well for older players.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from BabeParilli. Show BabeParilli's posts

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

Your probably right, but you just never know.  Especially for Gronk.  But the salary cap hit from these players are preventing the Pats from making some serious moves in FA.  Spending so much on injury prone players is killing this team.  I included Wilfork because of his age and his position doesn't bode well for older players.

[/QUOTE]

BB doesn't make serious FA moves. He signs some third tier guys for cheap so if they bust he doesn't have to face the music.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from Footballexpert45. Show Footballexpert45's posts

In response to stinkman's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

Gronk is injured yes, but they are serious injuries, not hamstring pulls tightness. I would not trade either. How about surrounding them with better or elite talent. = BETTER DRAFTING OR FA.

[/QUOTE]

Well you can't wait until Gronk injuries become career ending if you want to get anything in return.   The only player on the Pats roster that cannot be traded is Brady, everyone else is certainly expendible.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from Footballexpert45. Show Footballexpert45's posts

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

Would love too disagree, but I can't.  What a shame it is during the Brady era.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from Footballexpert45. Show Footballexpert45's posts

In response to mthurl's comment:
    [QUOTE]

They won't get squat for either of these guys at this point, just about every part of Gronk's body has been surgically mended and Wilfork is a 350 pound 34 year old coming off a major injury. You couldn't package the both of them together for a second round pick at this point, especially with their contracts.

[/QUOTE]

The Wilfork contract bothers me quite a bit, too much money for an aging NT.  Would rather see that money go to a safety or LB that can rush the passer and cover.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from CatfishHunter. Show CatfishHunter's posts

Gronk is still very valuable, don't kid yourself.   He's only 24 and no worse than the #2 TE in football.

I actually had this fantasy a month ago that Gronk stayed healthy through the playoffs, led them to a SB win, and the Pats traded him this off-season.   They would have garnered a bundle at the height of his worth.

Anyway, does anybody remember the Jets unloading Revis' contract to the Bucs and getting a 1st rounder before anyone was sure what Revis could still do?

Gronk is much more valuable than Revis.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from billge. Show billge's posts

This is a football thread, shouldn't you be CatfishPunter? He is more valuable to us than what we could get in trade in his condition, until he recovers at which time he will be more valuable to us,  Same with Wilfork Have people seen some of our top draft choices?  No sure thing

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from digger0862. Show digger0862's posts

I know, right? Why can't we have a good GM, like the Giants and Steelers have?

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from NoMorePensionLooting. Show NoMorePensionLooting's posts

Just so everyone knows that I am trying to ignore the original poster....I'm weakening though...

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from AZPAT. Show AZPAT's posts

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

"Waste", no.  "Trade", yes.

Gotta stockpile those picks, despite any apparent need for a positional player(s).

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from AZPAT. Show AZPAT's posts

How many times have we seen a guy/player cut loose or allowed to walk, where there is a unanimous "Not gonna miss him!", "Good Luck!", "Adios! Don't let the door catch you!" attitude. Then, when given the chance, the ghy goes All Pro. Recall all the posts along the lines that say "Wants too much! We can always find a   ______ !" Then, when this happens, the FO becomes suddenly dumb, and we rail on them. I can see this happening with Gronk and/or Wilfork. Then there's the failure to draft for an obvious need early in the draft, with the pick being traded to "stockpile picks", and "getting value" in later rounds.

Remember a RB names Curtis Martin? Funny how they never did "find a guy" that gave the Pats 10,000 yards on the ground. My pther fave is passining on drafting a LB named Matthews (Real stiff! Just ask the folks in Green Bay!), and here we are bemoaning the lack of production from Hightower. This tells me that either BB & Co don't put enough time into the draft to consider a high 1st round pick, and have extremeky high hopes for that later round miracle, hope, and prayer.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from agcsbill. Show agcsbill's posts

Imagine thinking to trade them if they never got injured?  All "loves and kisses" while healthy and performing for the team, but, once on IR..trade bait.  Suggest the "expert" trudge over to the Razor, pound on BB's door and give him a piece of your mind.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from Muzwell. Show Muzwell's posts

Putting aside the absurdity of trading a guy who just tore up his knee and is about to go under the knife (or a 34 year old nose tackle best known for his girth with a torn achilles, real genius there).

Gronk's cap hit next year is $5.4 mil, which is a bargain if he's able to play. If he's traded, it's $8.7 mil. So there's not much cap relief from trading him.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from darwk. Show darwk's posts

In response to NoMorePensionLooting's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Just so everyone knows that I am trying to ignore the original poster....I'm weakening though...

[/QUOTE]

Smelling a Troll?

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from TripleOG. Show TripleOG's posts

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

well now you have to find his replacement. I offered this suggestion a couple years ago after they both showed superstar potential. I had no idea about Hern and his crazy ways but I DID propose to trade one of them back then but I was saying to keep Hern which was onbviously was wrong. Last thing you wanna do it let this guy go to another team and shine. He is our Gronk. He will be fine next year and then we can really make a run at this thing with a full arsenal.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from dfitzp. Show dfitzp's posts

I would trade Vince for a decent offer. But no team is going to offer much for him. He will turn 33 next year and coming off a serious injury. His play slipped a good bit before the injury. I think he's carrying too much weight. He will have to get himself in the best shape of his career to get back anywhere near his prime. Not sure he will ever be able to explode off that achiles again. With him taking on constant double teams that is going to put a lot of stress on that injury.

As far as Gronk goes, people say that he is injury prone, but that hit he took to blow out his ACL would have taken out anybodys ACL. It was a vicious hit directly on the knee as Gronk was planting his foot. He will come back from this injury. He is only 24 yrs old and he will soon be the best TE in football again. This injury could help Gronk with his forearm and back surgerys. He can let his back heal, and get that plate removed from his forearm. It may take him a few months next year to get up to speed, but Gronk should be back to close to himself by this time next year. I would'nt even consider a trade for Gronk. His upside is too valuable. Maybe he comes back and has a major injury again and is never the same, but I would take the chance that he regains his form. I think when healthy he is the best TE in the history of the league.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from sml1210. Show sml1210's posts

In response to digger0862's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]and..... even if we could get a great draft pick for either, this GM is probably going to waste it.
    [/QUOTE]
    I know, right? Why can't we have a good GM, like the Giants and Steelers have?

[/QUOTE]

Not sure you want to go there....

Steelers                      2006, 2009

Giants                        2008, 2012

Patriiots (last 8 years)   N/A