The Problem no one will discuss

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from PATSthebest. Show PATSthebest's posts

The Problem no one will discuss

Of couse it's only my view..Say what you want about the lack of offense yeaterday, Welker's drop or no deep threat. The PATS are at or near the top of the NFL ever year on offense. You can't expect the offense to always be fireng on all cylinders, with key injuries. What do you want 35 a game every game?

The "D' is and has been for the last several years the issue. What's constant year after year the same discussions about a shut down corner or pass rusher. How many draft picks will we go thru till BB finds one or the Kraft spends the money to pick one up. I would hate to think what we would look like with out VW. Who is on charge of the "D" anyway?

The sadest part is we have had the best QB, maybe of all time and we can't give him a top 10 D. Time is passing and we need a GM with power to create a balance of power and challenge BB.

It's not in Bill we trust, it's in Brady and the Offense we thank.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from Muzwell. Show Muzwell's posts

Re: The Problem no one will discuss

You haven't been here very long if you think nobody will discuss the defense.  There's only about one new thread per hour for like four years on this subject.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from TheExaminer. Show TheExaminer's posts

In response to Muzwell's comment:

You haven't been here very long if you think nobody will discuss the defense.  There's only about one new thread per hour for like four years on this subject.

The 97 posts show that.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from PATSthebest. Show PATSthebest's posts

My point is not part of many discussions today. All the blame is going to Brady or Welker.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from tanbass. Show tanbass's posts

So you see no issue with the number 1 offense in the NFL scoring a feeble 13 points yesterday?

Yes, the defense is far from perfect, but the offense stunk the joint up last night.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from PATSthebest. Show PATSthebest's posts

I see that an offense is going to have bad games. But you need a solid D when the offense isn't clicking. So tell me why we can't hold Flacco to 13?

You need the gas and the brakes. Gas weill get you there but the brakes will stop you from crashing.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from prolate0spheroid. Show prolate0spheroid's posts

Yeah, we've got a handful of posters who think the defense is great and alll we need to do is run more, but most of us sensible folks have been arguing about the need to improve the pass defense for years.

And it's not just the secondary. There are serious questions that need to be asked about a LB group that may seem talented but that is not good in pass coverage. Why do we have three MLBs and no true outside guys?

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from prolate0spheroid. Show prolate0spheroid's posts

In response to tanbass' comment:

So you see no issue with the number 1 offense in the NFL scoring a feeble 13 points yesterday?

Yes, the defense is far from perfect, but the offense stunk the joint up last night.

That's a problem too, but it doesn't negate the problems withh the defense.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from harleyroadking1. Show harleyroadking1's posts

this offense can not beat a good defense that has been proven over and over. This team can feast all it wants on the bottom feeder teams but it needs to rebuild itself to beat the top teams. A shut down corner, two "real" safeties, and true big wide receiver are just some of things this team needs.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from Low-FB-IQ. Show Low-FB-IQ's posts

In response to PATSthebest's comment:

My point is not part of many discussions today. All the blame is going to Brady or Welker.

No not Brady OR Welker. The offense underachived, AGAIN. Period.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from PATSthebest. Show PATSthebest's posts

I think BB is to comfortable in his position to challenge himself. I don't question how hard he works, but over the past 10 years we've had a real opportunity to "shatter" the NFL.

I belive BB brought about disipline and accountablity for the players, but he needs to be accountable for his decisions as well.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsEng. Show PatsEng's posts

Yes the D is bad but it's improving and still needs players. I think we have a solid future with Jones and the LB's. I do think McCourty can help anchor the secondary as a FS and Dennard looks like a legit starting CB. However there are still holes. Wilfork is doubled to often without someone inside with him to take advantage of that situation. Talib has been off and on injured and there is no one stable across from Dennard. If Talib comes back a year of playing together and health should help solidfy that situation but there is zero depth behind them which is huge trouble.

We can't have all-stars at every position but if they can rebuild some useful depth (not Arrington and player X) in the secondary and get someone who can take advantage of playing next to Wilfork as well as having a pass coverage LB on long 2nd downs and 3rd downs and I think we would see a significant difference on the D.

The O really concerns me though. Against more agressive D's they fall apart which is a sign of a finese team. They need to get that aggressive smash mouth attitude back. I think they started to take that step in Ridley, Vereen, and Gronk but they need people, especially in the passing  game, that will fight for balls and hit people afterwords. I don't think a down the field threat will do that but someone who can play all 3 levels (yes I know rare). I'm looking for a reciever that is 6'2"+ and 210+ that can out jump and run over smaller CB's. Someone who wouldn't shy away from traffic but doesn't need to be shifty to get yac. Personally I'd like to get Bowe. If that cost Welker I'd might be alright with that

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from prolate0spheroid. Show prolate0spheroid's posts

In response to Low-FB-IQ's comment:

No not Brady OR Welker. The offense underachived, AGAIN. Period.

The offense without Gronk isn't the same as the offense with Gronk. Texans games aside, the offense looks much worse when Gronk is out.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from NYC. Show NYC's posts

What is missing with the Pats? Resilency!

After the missed time out, Welkers drop, Tom's sulking what is needed it the ability to come back from these things. The team started acted like all was lost. Perhaps it's BB's idea that  'one mistake in the playoffs dooms you' has them playing on eggshells. At halftime: Harbaugh was upbeat going into the locker room even though his team was down by 6; BB was worried he was one Flacco bomb away from a loss.

Doesn't that effect team attitude and resiliency?

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from stillgridlocked. Show stillgridlocked's posts

Just another 2nd half collapse by the Defense and the Offense.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from pcmIV. Show pcmIV's posts

In response to PatsEng's comment:

The O really concerns me though. Against more agressive D's they fall apart which is a sign of a finese team. They need to get that aggressive smash mouth attitude back. I think they started to take that step in Ridley, Vereen, and Gronk but they need people, especially in the passing  game, that will fight for balls and hit people afterwords. I don't think a down the field threat will do that but someone who can play all 3 levels (yes I know rare). I'm looking for a reciever that is 6'2"+ and 210+ that can out jump and run over smaller CB's. Someone who wouldn't shy away from traffic but doesn't need to be shifty to get yac. Personally I'd like to get Bowe. If that cost Welker I'd might be alright with that

Basically the problem is that against teams that can consistently cover our receiving options we are screwed.  During the regular season there are not many teams that can do this, but some of the top D's can.  We only have one receiver who is open even when he is covered in Gronk.  All the other guys are not the type of players where you can throw it up and ask them to get it.  Boldin and Smith both made more than a few catches where they weren't really open.  They just fought for and got the ball.  Without Gronk we can't do that which means guys have to get open and Brady has to be pinpoint on every throw.  That can happen, but it didn't happen consistently enough last night.

17. This post has been removed.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from prolate0spheroid. Show prolate0spheroid's posts

Yes the D is bad but it's improving and still needs players. I think we have a solid future with Jones and the LB's. I do think McCourty can help anchor the secondary as a FS and Dennard looks like a legit starting CB. However there are still holes. Wilfork is doubled to often without someone inside with him to take advantage of that situation. Talib has been off and on injured and there is no one stable across from Dennard. If Talib comes back a year of playing together and health should help solidfy that situation but there is zero depth behind them which is huge trouble.

We can't have all-stars at every position but if they can rebuild some useful depth (not Arrington and player X) in the secondary and get someone who can take advantage of playing next to Wilfork as well as having a pass coverage LB on long 2nd downs and 3rd downs and I think we would see a significant difference on the D.

Honestly, I question the LBs too. Sure they are alll very talented against the run. But none is a great coverage guy and all are best suited to be MLBs. In today's NFL can you really build a LB corp that is so weak in pass coverage? In some ways this feels like another position where the Pats are cobbling together misfitting parts. 

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from pcmIV. Show pcmIV's posts

In response to prolate0spheroid's comment:

Honestly, I question the LBs too. Sure they are alll very talented against the run. But none is a great coverage guy and all are best suited to be MLBs. In today's NFL can you really build a LB corp that is so weak in pass coverage? In some ways this feels like another position where the Pats are cobbling together misfitting parts. 

I think Hightower improved tremendously in coverage this year.  I think Mayo is good enough.  Spikes is the odd man out right now imo.  He brings a lot of attitude to the D and is great against the run and blitzing, but he really gets exposed in coverage.  A lot of times he comes out on 3rd down, but when teams go to a passing on every down strategy like the Ravens did it is tough.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from PATSthebest. Show PATSthebest's posts

In response to Quagmire3's comment:

to the original poster....FU! How can you say BB or Robert kreft dont want to improve the team of RK dont spend money when we are up close to the cap every year! Go away troll,or worse yet spoiled wrotten POS fan!

really

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsEng. Show PatsEng's posts

That's why I mentioned I think we need a coverage LB to work in. Honestly in 2nd and longs and 3rds with 3+yrds to go there is no reason why Hightower and Spikes should both be on the field. Spikes is a great 2 down LB bu shouldn't be on the field in passing downs. I'd look for a coverage LB to rotate with Spikes and have Hightower move to ILB on passing downs with Mayo staying outside covering flats. In todays NFL you really need 4 LB's and at least one needs to specialize in coverage. Imo BB thought that might be Fletcher but Fletcher was an injury red flag before the season so it does kind of urk me they couldn't find anyone better then White

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from PATSthebest. Show PATSthebest's posts

In response to pcmIV's comment:

I think Hightower improved tremendously in coverage this year.  I think Mayo is good enough.  Spikes is the odd man out right now imo.  He brings a lot of attitude to the D and is great against the run and blitzing, but he really gets exposed in coverage.  A lot of times he comes out on 3rd down, but when teams go to a passing on every down strategy like the Ravens did it is tough.

That's were a shut down corner comes in gives us so many more options with the safety's coming down. We need a Ty Law type, would help a great deal, you can see teh difference when Talib is on the game.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from prolate0spheroid. Show prolate0spheroid's posts

In response to pcmIV's comment:

Yeah, Spikes is the biggest question mark, but overall this is not a great coverage group and in today's league I'm not sure you can settle for that.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from UD6. Show UD6's posts

Of couse it's only my view..Say what you want about the lack of offense yeaterday, Welker's drop or no deep threat. The PATS are at or near the top of the NFL ever year on offense. You can't expect the offense to always be fireng on all cylinders, with key injuries. What do you want 35 a game every game?

The "D' is and has been for the last several years the issue. What's constant year after year the same discussions about a shut down corner or pass rusher. How many draft picks will we go thru till BB finds one or the Kraft spends the money to pick one up. I would hate to think what we would look like with out VW. Who is on charge of the "D" anyway?

The sadest part is we have had the best QB, maybe of all time and we can't give him a top 10 D. Time is passing and we need a GM with power to create a balance of power and challenge BB.

It's not in Bill we trust, it's in Brady and the Offense we thank.

So the pats offense scored 21 points below its regular season average.  The suspect defense gave up fewer points than the offenses season average (7 points more than its own season average). 

I'll grant you the patriots defense is not as good as its statistics, but regardless of their shortcomings, the offense was pathetic yesterday.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from prolate0spheroid. Show prolate0spheroid's posts

Yeah Eng, i like the coverage LB too, but more and more I think he should be the main guy with Spikes a rotational player.  Teams pass too much on early downs now.