The Reach

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from mia76. Show mia76's posts

Re: The Reach

In response to ma6dragon9's comment:

Just wanted to mention that this thread was great. It never got 'polluted' and people were able to bounce different ideas around without anyone taking offense.

Too rare around here these days.

dfitzp - EXCELLENT point about the lack of 5/6th rounders. That's exactly what I thought. He wanted the guy, he got him...rather than hope to steal him in the 7th only to have someone take him in the 6th...then you're left with a player you didn't want as much.

And Bass - Yes, I absolutely notice that. BB has long hated ESPN, and the feeling is certainly mutual at this point. BB doesn't pay tribute to the high and mighty ESPN, and they can't take that. "F you Tom Jackson" sums it up pretty well.

Agree on the quality of the thread! No digressions into personal attacks, no extranious to other teams. Truly a forum of fans with different perspectives discussing them and adding insights. WOW. 

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from rameakap. Show rameakap's posts

Re: The Reach

In response to mia76's comment:

Good thread - and if you look at the 'draft pick value chart' ...

Oakland trade pick #3 to Miami for #12 and #42 so 2200 points for 1200 and 480 net loss to Oakland 520 points

Buffalo picked Manuel at #16 who was a consensus 2nd rounder (ESPN had him rated #77) but lets use #34 so 1000 points for a player available for 560 points - net loss 440 points

Washignton trade #18 (900) to San Fran for #31 (600) and #74 (220) so net loss of 80 point, but then they used #31 for a player rated as a top of round three or back of round two selection (ESPN had him #71) so say 270 so a second loss of 330 points for a total loss of 410 points of draft value.

I have heard a little curfuffle over some of these moves, but a lot of - Oakland need more picks so good move, and Dallas needed OLine help and they liked him so good move, And Buffalo had to get a QB so ...what do you expect.

And you compare that to the reactions when BB totally destroyed his whole draft when he lost his mind, drafted a nobody and threw away (or flushed) a total of 136 points of draft capital (value of pick #91.) All of these teams flushed away the equivalent of pick #50 or more.

Now I don't live and die with draft value charts but they are generally accepted as a good indicator of importance picks and equality of trades.

And just a note - Buffalo is listed above but their first trade #8 & #71 to St Louis for #16, 46, 78, and 222 was dead on the draft value chart 1635 to 1642.6 and that shows how dreadful the Oakland trade was - Buffalo got just about as much for their #8 pick as Oakland got for the #3 pick.

Awesome post. And I'm sure the Pats got more value back from the Vikings trade. I thought Minny threw in a 4th when a 6th or definitely a 5th would have done it there.

I only wish we traded the Harmon pick back into rd 4 and added a 5th or 6th. Taken Harmon in rd 4 if he were still there (VERY likely he would have been) and then gotten an extra later pick. Heck Josh Evans and Baccarri Rambo lasted until the 6th and there were 4-5 other good safeties who woulda been there in rd 4 or 5 if someone else miraculously takes Harmon before pick 120 or so.