the real question: IS PATRICK CHUNGE READY TO BE "THE MAN"?

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from Artist-Frmrly-Knwn-As-NickC1188. Show Artist-Frmrly-Knwn-As-NickC1188's posts

the real question: IS PATRICK CHUNGE READY TO BE "THE MAN"?

I'm riveted.  I *loved* watching things like this:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pe_5TquRvmA
    -it was the first time I've ever seen a ref give a sympathy first-down

But can he do it on a regular basis?  And can Bodden and McCourty lead the secondary from the cornerback position?  Safeties have a better vantage point to direct secondary traffic for the entire defense.  If Chung's not ready, it'll be tougher to hide someone like Barrett or Brown in the lineup. 

The cornerbacks are certainly up to what I think they need to  contend.

I have concerns about safety.  Hopefully the coaching staff was counting on Chung the whole time to step up and become a key part of the defense and they just yanked his minutes Doc-Rivers-and-young-Rajon-Rondo style to push him to keep improving.

2. This post has been removed.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from btownteamsrking. Show btownteamsrking's posts

Re: the real question: IS PATRICK CHUNGE READY TO BE "THE MAN"?

no. he still struggles in coverage. i see them picking up a good veteran soon.

4. This post has been removed.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from apdynasty23. Show apdynasty23's posts

Yes.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from andrewmcintosh. Show andrewmcintosh's posts

Hope so, leaning towards yes....He's a missile

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from R3S1N20. Show R3S1N20's posts

`he very well could be the person who steps up help us hide our right now depleted FS spot. i have concerns about injuries with him still though its 110% with chung all the time and that gets him hurt more than u want. if he can still be that 110% type guy all the time while not getting injured i would expect big things out of him.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from auchhhhhhhhhhh. Show auchhhhhhhhhhh's posts

I like him a lot... if he steps to Mayo / Vince / DMC ´s level of playing we can have a great great D this year.

go pats !!!

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from btownteamsrking. Show btownteamsrking's posts

Let me explain. Chung is a nice, hungry young safety who can be great one day. I think it is unfair to expect him to become a pro bowler this year.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from 49Patriots. Show 49Patriots's posts

CHung was the man when Brandon was here, the position of FS is still WIDE open. Sergio Brown sucks! I hope Barrett is ready, dude is BIG and tough like Rodney, he's faster than Meriweather too. 

If he can bring it all together and learn to make great reads he'll excel. If not, get Sharper in her FAST! 

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from Artist-Frmrly-Knwn-As-NickC1188. Show Artist-Frmrly-Knwn-As-NickC1188's posts

In Response to Re: the real question: IS PATRICK CHUNGE READY TO BE "THE MAN"?:
    [QUOTE]CHung was the man when Brandon was here, the position of FS is still WIDE open. Sergio Brown sucks! I hope Barrett is ready, dude is BIG and tough like Rodney, he's faster than Meriweather too.  If he can bring it all together and learn to make great reads he'll excel. If not, get Sharper in her FAST! 
    Posted by 49Patriots[/QUOTE]

Is this hyperbole?  Or is this actually true?

IF this is true, he's a BIG wild card.  I'm a little concerned because I don't think the Pats have the leadership at safety like most other elite defenses have

If you look at the top defenses, they all have elite safeties.  Pittsburgh: Polamalu.  Baltimore: Ed Reed.  Green Bay: Nick Collins.  San Diego: Eric Weddle and now Bob Sanders until he gets hurt.  Even the Jets have Jim Leonhard, who's underrated and very experienced as a leader/onfieldcoordinator.  Like I said on another board, it's tough to have the leaders/coordinators at cornerback because they don't see the entire field from their vantage point.  

Guys like Ty Law and now Leigh Bodden and Devin McCourty are great in the film room when it comes to game preparation, but Rodney Harrison (and to a lesser extent, Lawyer Milloy) was kinda a big deal keeping their act together as a whole.  i didn't get the impression that Bruschi/Vrabel/McGinnest played a big role in calling the shots of the Back-4, and I don't get that this would be a good use for Mayo even if that was the case.

We shall see.  I'm really rooting for Chung, though.  Not only is he a missile, but he's (half-)Asian and we're rare in the NFL.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from btownteamsrking. Show btownteamsrking's posts

You have to like Chung. He loves football and is a good player, but is ready to become a star?  I just don't see it yet. 

I would be surprised if we don't sign or trade for a starting safety. There has to be a good veteran on a team that wants to contend for a title on a rebuilding team. 

I would trade the saints first round pick for Adrian Wilson of the cardinals.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from zbellino. Show zbellino's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: the real question: IS PATRICK CHUNGE READY TO BE "THE MAN"? : Is this hyperbole?  Or is this actually true? IF this is true, he's a BIG wild card.  I'm a little concerned because I don't think the Pats have the leadership at safety like most other elite defenses have If you look at the top defenses, they all have elite safeties.  Pittsburgh: Polamalu.  Baltimore: Ed Reed.  Green Bay: Nick Collins.  San Diego: Eric Weddle and now Bob Sanders until he gets hurt.  Even the Jets have Jim Leonhard, who's underrated and very experienced as a leader/onfieldcoordinator.  Like I said on another board, it's tough to have the leaders/coordinators at cornerback because they don't see the entire field from their vantage point.   Guys like Ty Law and now Leigh Bodden and Devin McCourty are great in the film room when it comes to game preparation, but Rodney Harrison (and to a lesser extent, Lawyer Milloy) was kinda a big deal keeping their act together as a whole.  i didn't get the impression that Bruschi/Vrabel/McGinnest played a big role in calling the shots of the Back-4, and I don't get that this would be a good use for Mayo even if that was the case. We shall see.  I'm really rooting for Chung, though.  Not only is he a missile, but he's (half-)Asian and we're rare in the NFL.
    Posted by Artist-Frmrly-Knwn-As-NickC1188[/QUOTE]

Barrett rana 4.36 at the combine. At 6'2" 220 he is also plenty big. He has had a number of injuries, including a bad knee his draft year, and has never really stood out since college. But there is no doubting his raw potential. 

I too, don't like what I saw from Sergio Brown last season, at least not as a starter. 

In the end, though, Chung has been making the calls back there already, and I think BB is going to turn the DB corp over to him. He is as smart and hard working as Sanders, but a much better and more instinctive athlete. If NE continues to run big 4 man fronts he should be able to make some plays. In fact, despite the talk of the corners having an easier job due to the improved pass rush, I believe he and Mayo will benefit even more from having extra protection on a down by down basis in front of them. 

They will see fewer blocking backs, TEs and guards at the second level. It could end up looking a lot like the USC system or the Bears, without the consistent cover-2 shell, where they use stunts and shifts to allow their MLB and SS to run around and make plays on the ball carrier. 

Perhaps that, as much as pass rush, is a factor in BB running more four man fronts. It buys protection for their two best open field playmakers. 

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from shenanigan. Show shenanigan's posts

I hope so.  I've seen in life when somebody is put into that leadership postion they often take it and when they are not put in it they won't become leaders.  Chung may have deferred leadership to Meri a bit since he was a 1st round pick, and was here 2 years before Chung.  But now that he's the senior safety, he will probably have more influence, not just on game day. 

I'm a bit worried with so many new faces in the secondary (not that last years faces did a great job).  But defenses seem to be like Jenga where one missing piece and the whole thing collapses, and I think really two pieces were missing last year (Butler/Arrington at CB, andwhoever played safety next to Chung) and that caused defenses to keep exploiting the same holes.  Hopefully those guys either get better, or another player steps in.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from passfirst. Show passfirst's posts

I noticed Chung got in Mayo's face after a bad play against the Lions that cost a TD.  If his play builds off of last year's in the right direction then the pats likely have their leader of the secondary.                  

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from rtuinila. Show rtuinila's posts

[QUOTE]  I noticed Chung got in Mayo's face after a bad play against the Lions that cost a TD.  If his play builds off of last year's in the right direction then the pats likely have their leader of the secondary.                  
    Posted by passfirst[/QUOTE]

I think you have that backwards. I seem to recall Mayo got in Chungs face, but that just proves Chung has become the leader of the Dbacks. In a healthy team environment, the leader of one portion of a team doesn't go after the offending member of another portion of the team when they screw up. They go after the leader of that other portion of the team and ADVISE him to straighten out his guys.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from mthurl. Show mthurl's posts

I like Chung (i loved him before the draft and thought he was the type of player we'd target), but I'm concerned that he might struggle with leading the secondary. Couple of reasons...1. He makes more mistakes in coverage than Merriweather (how you going to lead a secondary if you struggle in coverage?).  2. It's not unusual to see him holding a wrist, knee, shoulder, ankle or elbow after he delivers a big hit (Leaders have to be on the field).

He tries hard, has talent and clearly loves football and the team aspect of it, but it just seems like something is missing. He's young, so the covergae part of his game should improve, but he really needs to be consistent with every aspect of his game this year.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from 49Patriots. Show 49Patriots's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: the real question: IS PATRICK CHUNGE READY TO BE "THE MAN"? : Barrett rana 4.36 at the combine. At 6'2" 220 he is also plenty big. He has had a number of injuries, including a bad knee his draft year, and has never really stood out since college. But there is no doubting his raw potential.  I too, don't like what I saw from Sergio Brown last season, at least not as a starter.  In the end, though, Chung has been making the calls back there already, and I think BB is going to turn the DB corp over to him. He is as smart and hard working as Sanders, but a much better and more instinctive athlete. If NE continues to run big 4 man fronts he should be able to make some plays. In fact, despite the talk of the corners having an easier job due to the improved pass rush, I believe he and Mayo will benefit even more from having extra protection on a down by down basis in front of them.  They will see fewer blocking backs, TEs and guards at the second level. It could end up looking a lot like the USC system or the Bears, without the consistent cover-2 shell, where they use stunts and shifts to allow their MLB and SS to run around and make plays on the ball carrier.  Perhaps that, as much as pass rush, is a factor in BB running more four man fronts. It buys protection for their two best open field playmakers. 
    Posted by zbellino[/QUOTE]

He's actually 6'2 225 and ran a 4.35 in the combine to Meriweather's 4.47. BB stole him from McDaniels last season even though he was injured. He played the majority of the first team with Chung against the Giants. Looks like BB's putting all his eggs in his basket. 

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from brdbreu. Show brdbreu's posts

[QUOTE]no. he still struggles in coverage. i see them picking up a good veteran soon.
    Posted by btownteamsrking[/QUOTE]

thank you. chung does get called into coverage, and when he does, hes a pass waiting to be completed (not unlike butler-but he is useless).

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from BabeParilli. Show BabeParilli's posts

So far. Not so much.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from ma6dragon9. Show ma6dragon9's posts

Having McCourty on one side, and Bodden on the other makes it easier for WHOEVER is calling it.

Mayo takes care of the bulk of the D, I don't foresee any problems with Chung being "the guy" in the secondary. BB obviously trusted him enough to give him the resposibility to call for a fake punt, I think the kid has a very good football head on his shoulders, quite the opposite from the Big Bust Clock.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from BabeParilli. Show BabeParilli's posts

[QUOTE]Having McCourty on one side, and Bodden on the other makes it easier for WHOEVER is calling it. Mayo takes care of the bulk of the D, I don't foresee any problems with Chung being "the guy" in the secondary. BB obviously trusted him enough to give him the resposibility to call for a fake punt, I think the kid has a very good football head on his shoulders, quite the opposite from the Big Bust Clock.
    Posted by ma6dragon9[/QUOTE]

Good point. And maybe Dowling will amaze us. We don't know for sure if he sucks yet. And maybe the batch of DLs Hoodie picked up will come through. Anything is worth a try compared to the Keystone Cops D we have had the last few years.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from passfirst. Show passfirst's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: the real question: IS PATRICK CHUNGE READY TO BE "THE MAN"? : I think you have that backwards. I seem to recall Mayo got in Chungs face, but that just proves Chung has become the leader of the Dbacks. In a healthy team environment, the leader of one portion of a team doesn't go after the offending member of another portion of the team when they screw up. They go after the leader of that other portion of the team and ADVISE him to straighten out his guys.
    Posted by rtuinila[/QUOTE]

I guess I got that the mixed up as you said.  But the result of those two players barking at each other to get their respective groups straightened out, apparently Mayo at Chung, was something that made me take notice.                   

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from TrueChamp. Show TrueChamp's posts

i have faith in Chung. 3rd year guy who i think will make the next step. Im much more worried about the other starter and serious lack of depth behind them both.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from ZigZig. Show ZigZig's posts

NO!!!!! He STINKS!!!! He'll B worse then merryweather. U watch, 2nd round BUST.