The Wes Welker Situation

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from TFB12. Show TFB12's posts

The Wes Welker Situation

Read this and tell me this guy doesn't deserve to get paid.  What an embarrasment of the Patriots organization if they don't reach a deal with Welker.  The dude has done everything right yet gets no respect from the organization.  Shamefull!

--------------

Wes Welker's ‘leap’ led into this abyss

If Wes Welker was as brave going into a contract negotiation as he is going across the middle, he wouldn’t be in the predicament he is today. If there’s one thing men plying Welker’s trade want to avoid it’s being a defenseless receiver, yet that is exactly what he has allowed himself to become as he enters free agency next month.

Surely, it is difficult for Welker to look at all he’s accomplished the past six years and see himself that way, but it is a bed he made for himself beginning when he first arrived in 2007 and agreed to a five-year extension that quickly became vastly undervalued.

He made the same mistake in 2010 when he was coming off three straight 100-catch seasons, had outperformed his contract and was surrounded by a suspect receiving corps. For a guy who understands leverage so well on the field, Welker seemed to have no clue about it at the negotiating table.

What he should have done then was what helped make Logan Mankins, Richard Seymour and Deion Branch rich. He should have gone to Aruba instead of training camp.

Same was true last year when instead of withholding his services he turtled after some early threats and signed a franchise tender on May 15. That got him a guaranteed one-year deal worth $9.515 million (slightly more than 50 percent of the $18,126,960 he’d been paid over the previous five seasons), but the day he signed he tweeted: “I love the game and I love my teammates! Hopefully doing the right thing gets the right results. #leapoffaith.”

Two days later, the Patriots reduced their fully guaranteed two-year, $16 million offer that he’d declined the previous season. Sounding as if he just realized Ed Reed had him in his crosshairs, Welker responded, “There have been talks, but nothing that’s brightened anything at all. It’s actually gotten worse.”

The only one surprised by that was Welker.

Welker gave away his leverage twice and paid for it. His first deal led him to earn $2.15 million in 2011 while Chad Ochocinco was paid $6 million. The other difference between them was Welker caught 122 passes to Ochocinco’s 15.

Now he finds himself a soon-to-be 32-year-old slot receiver who was among the most productive players in the NFL in 2012, yet is being whispered about as someone who drops too many balls (15, same total as in 2011), doesn’t get enough yards after the catch (he only led the league with 619) and is aging even though he’s missed only three regular-season games in six seasons. By comparison, his rumored replacement, Julian Edelman, has missed 10 games the past two seasons and 16 of a possible 64 in his four-year career while, according to Pro Football Focus, catching only eight passes for 69 yards out of 125 slot routes run the past three years.

While there is no replacement for Welker on the roster, that won’t matter. Neither will the Patriots’ abysmal record of drafting wideouts. The Patriots are simply not going to put an $11.4 million franchise tag on Welker, someone with intimate knowledge of the team’s thinking said. Nor is he going to get an offer better than the one he turned down in 2011. So all his #leapoffaith got Welker was a decent one-year deal, but he’s got no grounds to complain because the Patriots long ago showed how they do business if you do yours the way he did his, which was to hold out a tin cup and hope they’d drop something in it.

The only players that have received market value here are ones who either walked or threatened to walk: Seymour twice, Asante Samuel, Vince Wilfork, Damien Woody, Adam Vinatieri, Branch and Mankins.

Mankins held out for nearly half a season, trading $2 million in fines for a six-year, $51 million deal that guaranteed him $30 million, including a $20 million signing bonus. The bonus alone was more than Welker made his first five years here. Mankins didn’t take a #leapoffaith. He took a seat.

Branch got paid by making a leap to his couch. He stared them in the eye while still under contract until they blinked, signing a $39 million deal with Seattle after a 45-day holdout in 2006. He exchanged $600,000 in fines for a $13 million signing bonus and $23 million over the next three seasons.

Branch earned $27,466,840 during four injury-riddled seasons in Seattle from 2006-2009 then came back to Foxboro. Welker has barely been paid that in six seasons in which he caught over 100 passes five times and was franchised once. A year ago, Welker explained not holding out by saying, “I think those techniques work better with other teams. I think the best thing you can do, as far as the Patriots, is be there and let them make the decision if they want to do something long term or not.’’

Does this guy have attention deficit disorder?

When the Patriots play hard ball this offseason, offering him a below-market deal or nothing at all, it may be unwise but no one can blame them. They’re only doing what they’ve always done: reacting to weakness with strength.

If Welker wanted to avoid this he had to boldly go where Mankins, Branch, Seymour and a few others did — which was home. That would have been a #leapoffaith in himself.

Instead, he bet on his team’s largesse — a word that only exists in the dictionary in Foxboro — and so finds himself at the mercy of a team that shows no mercy in such circumstances. Welker was second in the NFL in receptions (118), eighth in yards (1,354) and first in YAC in 2012, but he’s looking at a pay cut or a bon voyage card because he either never learned what real leverage means or lacked the courage to use it.

2. This post has been removed.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from dreighver. Show dreighver's posts

Re: The Wes Welker Situation

He had every opportunity to get paid; he was offered $16 mil for 2 years and turned it down. 

Can't say NWE has refused to pay him.

4. This post has been removed.

5. This post has been removed.

6. This post has been removed.

7. This post has been removed.

8. This post has been removed.

9. This post has been removed.

10. This post has been removed.

11. This post has been removed.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from BostonTrollSpanker. Show BostonTrollSpanker's posts

Borges is a scab on the sports scene. He's one of the worst. Using Borges to support your argument automatically casts doubt on your argument. 

Welker deserves to get paid but I believe 

a. he needs to take a (small) discount out of respect that he is not going to have the same career outside of New England

b. he has dropped some big catches, at least some of which you have to make if you are going to be paid as a top shelf receiver. He's one tier below the top guys. He's a slot guy not a "get you any catch you need" guy. He should be paid like that. 

I'm not clear why you feel sorry for him, he's living a better life than most of us.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from TFB12. Show TFB12's posts

In response to ClarkGriswold's comment:

Ron Borges wrote that article. I automatically didn't read that. Sorry, man. 

You may not agree with him on a lot of things, I don't, but he is spot on in this article.  Tell me where he is wrong. 

Welker has done everything by the book according to being a team player, contract included, no holdouts, no threats, just went out and balled every year, but there is a time when you gotta ask your employer to be fair and the Patriot organization has not done that. 

So he got paid good money for one year, what about the first 5 where he totally outplayed his contract and instead of the Organization doing the right thing, which would have been to redo his contract and give him a fair contract after year 2 or 3 like most other teams would have, they take advantage of him. 

Now he is asking for a fair market contract, one that pays him as being one of the most productive receivers in the league, which he is year in and year out, and they aren't willing to do so.  What a Shame!!  That sends a bad message to all future Patriots players!  When you win SB's it's much easier to say hey, you want to get a SB ring then come and play for us at our price, problem is they haven't won a SB in a long time, this doesn't work now.  Time to pay up Patriots if you want the players that help take you there.

Everyone can cry and complain and use the bogus excuses of Welker getting older, dropping crucial passes, what nonsense!!  The team is much better with Welker then without!  This past season proved that.  The Patriots wouldn't have been anywhere near as good on offense as they were had they let Welker walk before last season. 

Be cafeful Patriot fans, be very careful what you wish for..... you just might get it!  And if that happens, be ready to have me here every week next season rubbing it in and telling you how wrong you were about wanting Welker gone as you post countless threads about how the Patriots offense struggles week after week. 

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from 49Patriots. Show 49Patriots's posts

Would I love to have Welker back? Sure, but at a price. The Pats have holes to fix in the defense (SS, DT, possible CB if they can't retain Talib, DE and a LB that can cover well) and they need to lock up Vollmer to boot. 

If the NFL were MLB and the Pats didn't want to pay Welker then, I'd be on your side. But Welker wants a 10-15 million dollar deal when the Pats only have 19 Million to spend this offseason. I wish you'd take that into consideration when you act as if the Pats are blatantly trying to NOT pay Welker. 

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from 49Patriots. Show 49Patriots's posts

In response to LessPhatRex's comment:

In response to ClarkGriswold's comment:

In response to dreighver's comment:

He had every opportunity to get paid; he was offered $16 mil for 2 years and turned it down. 

Can't say NWE has refused to pay him.

That's the truth. I thought they actually offered him something higher before, at one point, too.  His whole thing is he wanted years and I think he'll find very few teams looking to do that (rumor was 4 years) at his age.

Also, he was looking for Larry Fitzgerald money.

I am afraid the deal he was offered may or may not be on the table anymore and it's because he's overvalued himself in the market. He's better here than anywhere else and the Pats know it.  Heck, other teams know it, too.

NOs, GB, maybe Denver, would be the only spots where he'd have a chance of putting up the same numbers.

And his huge drops in key spots haven't helped his position. Great player, tough as nails, 125%, etc. He did everything right, but if he isn't traded for by BB to come to play in this offense, he also does't get the production he got to be tagged for almost 10 mil this year. It's not like the 10 mil in 2012 wasn't an overpayment for the 1 year to offset some of the outproducing of his first contract here. 

Not sure what Borges's article even says, but $100 it's littered with playing Wes off as a victim and Kraft being "cheap" again.

Welker wanted 15 mil a year?  Making stuff up again, Queenie.  Why would he have signed a 2 year 16 mil, when he can now sign that deal (likely a 3 year) plus having squeezed almost 10 mil from the great BB in 2012?  In essence, he'll have a 4 year 34 mil contract.  I bet he finds a team with a decent defense.

The Patriots offered him a 2 year 16 mill as a final offer, the original offer was 2 year 20 mill. Welker was looking for something in the range of a 3 year 45 (Fitzgerald type deal). I'm sure the Pats have no qualms giving him an extra year. What they have problems with is the money. 

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from ATJ. Show ATJ's posts

Money is going to be THE issue in whether or not Welker returns.  I know I'm stating the obvious but the Pats have a number of issues to address and they can't deal with those issues while breaking the bank or franchising Welker.  Would I love to have Welker back? Absolutely.  At all costs?  Absolutely not.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from Philskiw1. Show Philskiw1's posts

I'm guessing that the next 4 years Welker will be catching passes from Andy dalton.  They have a lot of cap space. The bengals could have used Welker, green and Gresham forgot their hands in the playoffs. 

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from Quagmire3. Show Quagmire3's posts

I am with Rusty on this one. A) I dont read the plagarizer who hates BB, and B) dont forget when WW was first dealt to NE he signed a 5 year contract which was very fair at the time based on his production up until then. Did he outplay his contract? Of course he did, but thats the nature of the business. I agree we dont pay more than $8 mil a year for WW, if he is gone he is gone. Next man up. 

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from mthurl. Show mthurl's posts

In response to Philskiw1's comment:

I'm guessing that the next 4 years Welker will be catching passes from Andy dalton.  They have a lot of cap space. The bengals could have used Welker, green and Gresham forgot their hands in the playoffs. 

Imagine? I never thought of this, but it could make sense. I'll tell you, I saw Dalton play a couple of times his rookie year and he looked alright, but then I watched him in that playoff game this season and wow...just wow...the guy was absolutely terrible. He was over throwing guys, under throwing guys...throwing into coverage, but Welker would really help him and that offense. Truthfully Welker will help any offense, but I can't see him having anywhere near the success he had here.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from thehub. Show thehub's posts

In response to Quagmire3's comment:

I am with Rusty on this one. A) I dont read the plagarizer who hates BB, and B) dont forget when WW was first dealt to NE he signed a 5 year contract which was very fair at the time based on his production up until then. Did he outplay his contract? Of course he did, but thats the nature of the business. I agree we dont pay more than $8 mil a year for WW, if he is gone he is gone. Next man up. 

Yup. Love Wes but I root for the uniform. Next man up if the math doesn't work. I do appreciate all he did but if it's time to go I wish him all the best. 

21. This post has been removed.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from TFB12. Show TFB12's posts

It's a poker match - Who wins this one?

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from BabeParilli. Show BabeParilli's posts

"Deserve" has absolutely nothing to do with it.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from 42AND46. Show 42AND46's posts

In response to TFB12's comment:

Read this and tell me this guy doesn't deserve to get paid.  What an embarrasment of the Patriots organization if they don't reach a deal with Welker.  The dude has done everything right yet gets no respect from the organization.  Shamefull!

--------------

By Ron Borges / Boston Herald   View My Profile  

If Wes Welker was as brave going into a contract negotiation as he is going across the middle, he wouldn’t be in the predicament he is today. If there’s one thing men plying Welker’s trade want to avoid it’s being a defenseless receiver, yet that is exactly what he has allowed himself to become as he enters free agency next month.

Surely, it is difficult for Welker to look at all he’s accomplished the past six years and see himself that way, but it is a bed he made for himself beginning when he first arrived in 2007 and agreed to a five-year extension that quickly became vastly undervalued.

He made the same mistake in 2010 when he was coming off three straight 100-catch seasons, had outperformed his contract and was surrounded by a suspect receiving corps. For a guy who understands leverage so well on the field, Welker seemed to have no clue about it at the negotiating table.

What he should have done then was what helped make Logan Mankins, Richard Seymour and Deion Branch rich. He should have gone to Aruba instead of training camp.

Same was true last year when instead of withholding his services he turtled after some early threats and signed a franchise tender on May 15. That got him a guaranteed one-year deal worth $9.515 million (slightly more than 50 percent of the $18,126,960 he’d been paid over the previous five seasons), but the day he signed he tweeted: “I love the game and I love my teammates! Hopefully doing the right thing gets the right results. #leapoffaith.”

Two days later, the Patriots reduced their fully guaranteed two-year, $16 million offer that he’d declined the previous season. Sounding as if he just realized Ed Reed had him in his crosshairs, Welker responded, “There have been talks, but nothing that’s brightened anything at all. It’s actually gotten worse.”

Welker gave away his leverage twice and paid for it. His first deal led him to earn $2.15 million in 2011 while Chad Ochocinco was paid $6 million. The other difference between them was Welker caught 122 passes to Ochocinco’s 15.

Now he finds himself a soon-to-be 32-year-old slot receiver who was among the most productive players in the NFL in 2012, yet is being whispered about as someone who drops too many balls (15, same total as in 2011), doesn’t get enough yards after the catch (he only led the league with 619) and is aging even though he’s missed only three regular-season games in six seasons. By comparison, his rumored replacement, Julian Edelman, has missed 10 games the past two seasons and 16 of a possible 64 in his four-year career while, according to Pro Football Focus, catching only eight passes for 69 yards out of 125 slot routes run the past three years.

While there is no replacement for Welker on the roster, that won’t matter. Neither will the Patriots’ abysmal record of drafting wideouts. The Patriots are simply not going to put an $11.4 million franchise tag on Welker, someone with intimate knowledge of the team’s thinking said. Nor is he going to get an offer better than the one he turned down in 2011. So all his #leapoffaith got Welker was a decent one-year deal, but he’s got no grounds to complain because the Patriots long ago showed how they do business if you do yours the way he did his, which was to hold out a tin cup and hope they’d drop something in it.

The only players that have received market value here are ones who either walked or threatened to walk: Seymour twice, Asante Samuel, Vince Wilfork, Damien Woody, Adam Vinatieri, Branch and Mankins.

Mankins held out for nearly half a season, trading $2 million in fines for a six-year, $51 million deal that guaranteed him $30 million, including a $20 million signing bonus. The bonus alone was more than Welker made his first five years here. Mankins didn’t take a #leapoffaith. He took a seat.

Branch got paid by making a leap to his couch. He stared them in the eye while still under contract until they blinked, signing a $39 million deal with Seattle after a 45-day holdout in 2006. He exchanged $600,000 in fines for a $13 million signing bonus and $23 million over the next three seasons.

Branch earned $27,466,840 during four injury-riddled seasons in Seattle from 2006-2009 then came back to Foxboro. Welker has barely been paid that in six seasons in which he caught over 100 passes five times and was franchised once. A year ago, Welker explained not holding out by saying, “I think those techniques work better with other teams. I think the best thing you can do, as far as the Patriots, is be there and let them make the decision if they want to do something long term or not.’’

When the Patriots play hard ball this offseason, offering him a below-market deal or nothing at all, it may be unwise but no one can blame them. They’re only doing what they’ve always done: reacting to weakness with strength.

If Welker wanted to avoid this he had to boldly go where Mankins, Branch, Seymour and a few others did — which was home. That would have been a #leapoffaith in himself.

Instead, he bet on his team’s largesse — a word that only exists in the dictionary in Foxboro — and so finds himself at the mercy of a team that shows no mercy in such circumstances. Welker was second in the NFL in receptions (118), eighth in yards (1,354) and first in YAC in 2012, but he’s looking at a pay cut or a bon voyage card because he either never learned what real leverage means or lacked the courage to use it.

His first deal led him to earn $2.15 million in 2011 while Chad Ochocinco was paid $6 million. The other difference between them was Welker caught 122 passes to Ochocinco’s 15.

this must be more of bill bellichick's work as the greatest gm ever

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from 42AND46. Show 42AND46's posts

In response to TFB12's comment:

--------------

By Ron Borges / Boston Herald   View My Profile  

welker is the kind of player kraft and bellichick like best: a sucker