Thin at DL

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from joepatsfan111111. Show joepatsfan111111's posts

Thin at DL

We have only 7 guys on the whole D-Line (Jones, Wilfork, Kelly, Nink, Bequette, Vellano, Buchanan) and by the end of the game the rush word the line was practically non-existent and they were all obviously worn out having to play the amount of snaps. my big question is why did we cut J. Francis (who probably only cost less than a million bucks) who was a very talented rusher and he was one of the more effective backups we had last year and now he's gone and were stuck with Bequette who they like somehow and Buchanan who I think is really talented and granted I like they want to activate Armstead when he returns and add depth to the inside but in general we are just thin on the line

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from rkarp. Show rkarp's posts

Re: Thin at DL

good morning. the DL has been an ongoing theme on these posts since Love and Deadrick were let go. Vellano simply is not yet and NFL down lineman.

fss, both FRancis and Cunningham were not "cut" or "ir'd"...they were "injury settled"...meaning they can return top the Pats this year, and they parted on good terms (with money in hand)...I expect when healthy, they both return

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from stillgridlocked. Show stillgridlocked's posts

Francis is on the practice squad so he's available if they feel the need.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from joepatsfan111111. Show joepatsfan111111's posts

In response to rkarp's comment:

good morning. the DL has been an ongoing theme on these posts since Love and Deadrick were let go. Vellano simply is not yet and NFL down lineman.

fss, both FRancis and Cunningham were not "cut" or "ir'd"...they were "injury settled"...meaning they can return top the Pats this year, and they parted on good terms (with money in hand)...I expect when healthy, they both return

When I looked up the terms of an injury settlement it said that they couldn't return this year bcz they would be considered IR if resigned. But then again that info could be wrong. I just thought that Frnacis and Cunningham both were pretty good backup rushers in certain situations and it's really looking like a hole among the D and like u said Vellano does not get the job done and I've never been a fan of Bequette either so this DLine needs some backup bulk or by week 4 they'll all be worn out

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from joepatsfan111111. Show joepatsfan111111's posts

In response to stillgridlocked's comment:

You're talking about AJ Francis, I'm talking about Justin Francis. The guy who produced some for us last year

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsEng. Show PatsEng's posts

In response to stillgridlocked's comment:

Wrong Francis

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from APpats22. Show APpats22's posts

What I thought was interesting was that the had Jones playing DT on some plays. Why???? I don't want my best rusher to kick inside. They need to cut someone like LB White and sign anither DT. Hopefully AJ Francis gets up to speed quick so we can put him into the rotation.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from joepatsfan111111. Show joepatsfan111111's posts

In response to APpats22's comment:

What I thought was interesting was that the had Jones playing DT on some plays. Why???? I don't want my best rusher to kick inside. They need to cut someone like LB White and sign anither DT. Hopefully AJ Francis gets up to speed quick so we can put him into the rotation.

They put Jones to the inside because they are working different rush scenarios by bringing the 270pounder Hightower off the edge and hopefully Collins as well when he gets into the mix more 

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from APpats22. Show APpats22's posts

In response to joepatsfan111111's comment:

[QUOTE]

They put Jones to the inside because they are working different rush scenarios by bringing the 270pounder Hightower off the edge and hopefully Collins as well when he gets into the mix more 

[/QUOTE]

Yeah it really wasn't working. Tom Kelly seemed to disappear that game. Where was the inside pressure from him? Idk. I like Vellano, he just isn't ready for a big role like he does right now. He needs to hit the weight room asap.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from joepatsfan111111. Show joepatsfan111111's posts

In reaponse to APpats22 QUOTE]

Yeah it really wasn't working. Tom Kelly seemed to disappear that game. Where was the inside pressure from him? Idk. I like Vellano, he just isn't ready for a big role like he does right now. He needs to hit the weight room asap.

[/QUOTE]

I like the mix up of rushes and schemes. They just need to find the personnel group that works. I for one don't like Vellano, I think they would have been better off keeping Benard or even all the way back to Deadrick. I really think they are leaning heavy on the return of Armond Armstead since he barely practiced and they still kept him on NFI and didn't try to get rid of him. I also think we need to blitz more (when don't we) To bring more pressure on the QB. I think our CBs are good enough to handle man coverage

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from seattlepat70. Show seattlepat70's posts

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

The risk with experienced players - maybe too jaded to even bother to prove themselves, they coast. A Thomas, Haynesworth, etc. Hopefully not the case with Kelly.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from tenace4life. Show tenace4life's posts

Love could not even make the Jacksonville team . . . he was cut when the team went to 53.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from user_4160947. Show user_4160947's posts

Ron Brace anyone?  One poster here described him as playing on roller skates and that image always made me chuckle.  He was cut by the Redskins, but on the last day so he is probably in shape.  He is also 330 lbs, can play either NT or DE, and knows the Patriots system.  I say why not?  Of course, he left on bad terms but that's the business....
    Bequette is a career JAG.  Buchanon is probably fast but a speed guy and not a block of granite.  Kelly and VW will be worn down by Thanksgiving at this rate.  I think the Cunningham ship has sailed.  He couldn't beat out Bequette.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from joepatsfan111111. Show joepatsfan111111's posts

In response to tenace4life's comment:

Love could not even make the Jacksonville team . . . he was cut when the team went to 53.

Love couldn't make the team because he has Type-2 diabetes and probably isn't ready to play yet. The reason we cut him is cause we said take a year off and recover ad get stronger and be preparedand he said no so we cut him

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsLifer. Show PatsLifer's posts

I like the mix up of rushes and schemes. They just need to find the personnel group that works. I for one don't like Vellano, I think they would have been better off keeping Benard or even all the way back to Deadrick. I really think they are leaning heavy on the return of Armond Armstead since he barely practiced and they still kept him on NFI and didn't try to get rid of him. I also think we need to blitz more (when don't we) To bring more pressure on the QB. I think our CBs are good enough to handle man coverage

[/QUOTE]

Agree. They haven't found it yet, but still early. i think they kept vellano because they have no other wide bodies after Vince and Kelly. The armstead injury hurt the depth and rotation and put a chink in bb's plans. 

The pats of late have never been a blitz happy team. I think bb likes to be conservative here and not get beat on 1'big play. This is why I think it's important to get enough pass rush out of the front 4 to force a quick decision. I am not sure the starting front 4'have what it takes To do this consistently...so, back to the other,option which is to send a lb, safety or someone else. 

this won't be a popular opinion, but I really think if the pats were intent on running more 4 man lines and trying to create pressure with 4, they should have thought long and hard about Vince and Kelly. I know they can play either scheme, but I think they are both better suited for a 3 man line, limited penetration, taking on multiple blockers to free up linebackers. 

again, the armstead injury really put a big kink in bb's ability to play more 3-4. I don't think they can run it well with vellano at end or inside.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from BabeParilli. Show BabeParilli's posts

We are thin everywhere.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from joepatsfan111111. Show joepatsfan111111's posts

In response to PatsLifer's comment:

Agree. They haven't found it yet, but still early. i think they kept vellano because they have no other wide bodies after Vince and Kelly. The armstead injury hurt the depth and rotation and put a chink in bb's plans. 

The pats of late have never been a blitz happy team. I think bb likes to be conservative here and not get beat on 1'big play. This is why I think it's important to get enough pass rush out of the front 4 to force a quick decision. I am not sure the starting front 4'have what it takes To do this consistently...so, back to the other,option which is to send a lb, safety or someone else. 

this won't be a popular opinion, but I really think if the pats were intent on running more 4 man lines and trying to create pressure with 4, they should have thought long and hard about Vince and Kelly. I know they can play either scheme, but I think they are both better suited for a 3 man line, limited penetration, taking on multiple blockers to free up linebackers. 

again, the armstead injury really put a big kink in bb's ability to play more 3-4. I don't think they can run it well with vellano at end or inside.

[/QUOTE]

Very true and a good 3-4 would work with the skilled LBs we have that can get around Olinemen (Hightower, Mayo, eh maybe Spikes) but i still think they are banking heavy on Armstead. They gave him a three year deal, found out about his injury and didnt IR him to save a spot or pay him off and cut him, they threw him on the NFI so he can come back and contribute. Chandler Jones was the guy talking all off season about how he was gonna breakout and if anyone will carry the load on QB pressure its gonna have to be to him.