Things that could prevent another Super Bowl
posted at 4/27/2012 4:08 PM EDT
Last team to go to the Super Bowl in back to back seasons, was...the 2003-04 Patriots...so its not fair to assume that this team will easiliy make it back to the big game. Here's a few things I thought about, that could prevent the Pats from making it back to the big game, in no particular order:
1. Injuries, can't really account for this...just have to hope the pats are lucky in this area
2. Oline, Matt Light retired, Brian Waters potentially retiring could be a problem. If Solder hasn't taken the next step in development, we could be in trouble at LT. Hopefully Vollmer can return to form.
3. Running game, this is a wildcard. I like Ridley, but we haven't seen enough of him to trust him. Brady's getting old, he hasn't shown signs of slowing down, but we know its coming...hopefully the team can rely on Ridley/Vereen.
4. Secondary, don't think this needs to be explained.
5. Dline, other than Wilfork, there's no one that I truly love on this dline. Don't expect huge contributions from Jones just yet...The strength in this team is now the linebackers...for them to be successful, the Dline is going to need to eat up blocks.
I don't mean to be pessimistic, I'm as excited about this team as anyone else...but it's almost been a decade since a team has gone to the Super bowl in back to back seasons...
A lot of people assumed that GB could do it because they won the Super Bowl, with 15 players on the IR, and a decent amount of those players came back healthy...
Still think we have as good a shot as the best teams in the AFC, but I'm not booking anything like some people.