Third-down defense This week: 25th (43.8 percent, 28 of 64) - Would like to move to dennard and Dowling

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from bredbru. Show bredbru's posts

Third-down defense This week: 25th (43.8 percent, 28 of 64) - Would like to move to dennard and Dowling

I know bb overvalues devin mcc and k arrington. Id like to see him go more with skill over his emotional trust. ie ridley last year. devin mcc/ kyle arr. at cb getting burned left and right (qbs know what to do on third down as evidenced above). dont want ot go into the playoffs with this (25th 44% allowed).

2. This post has been removed.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from ma6dragon9. Show ma6dragon9's posts

Re: Third-down defense This week: 25th (43.8 percent, 28 of 64) - Would like to move to dennard and Dowling

Can you tell me what their opponent's success rates have been so far this year?

For instance, Denver had been churning out an impressive 48% going into the Pats game.

I don't like numbers without context.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from patsbandwagonsince76. Show patsbandwagonsince76's posts

Re: Third-down defense This week: 25th (43.8 percent, 28 of 64) - Would like to move to dennard and Dowling

The Pats defense is designed to give up a higher rate of 3rd down conversions but to get more takeaways. Look at the last 5 years , poor on 3rd down & yards given up much higher on turnovers.

They are 8th in interceptions and number one in fumbles recovered.

Remember a turnover is like forcing 3 and out but with better field position (cause no punt) and a bigger momentum change.

However, they are 19th in scoring allowed which much better illustrates the need overall improvement. Better 3rd down play without slowing down on the takeaways would help this.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from pezz4pats. Show pezz4pats's posts

In response to patsbandwagonsince76's comment:
    [QUOTE]

The Pats defense is designed to give up a higher rate of 3rd down conversions but to get more takeaways. Look at the last 5 years , poor on 3rd down & yards given up much higher on turnovers.

Remember a turnover is like forcing 3 and out but with better field position (cause no punt) and a bigger momentum change.

However, they are 19th in scoring allowed which much better illustrates the need overall improvement. Better 3rd down play without slowing down on the takeaways would help this.

[/QUOTE]

Really?  They are designed to give up 3rd downs and get ints?

That sounds like a recipe for disaster to me.  See SB's where they failed to get those INT's and 3 & outs.

6. This post has been removed.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from patsbandwagonsince76. Show patsbandwagonsince76's posts

In response to jri37's comment:
    [QUOTE]

In response to pezz4pats's comment:
    [QUOTE]

In response to patsbandwagonsince76's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

Really?  They are designed to give up 3rd downs and get ints?

That sounds like a recipe for disaster to me.  See SB's where they failed to get those INT's and 3 & outs.

[/QUOTE]

Not 1 single 3 and out in that SB.

[/QUOTE]

Yes it is frustrating.

I should rephrase this anyway ..'Design' implies it is done on purpose, I think  it is a result of what is emphasized as opposed to personell because it has been consistant through different personell.

I should have said.."it seems to me whatever has been emphasized the last few years has led consistantly to a defense that is in the bottom part of the league in yards and 3rd down stops and much higher up in takeaways"

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from BosoxJoe5. Show BosoxJoe5's posts

I would say McCourty isnt getting burnt at all. As a matter of fact the way he plays is to avoid getting burnt. Hence the complaints. Maybe the scheme is don't get burnt, worry about everything else secondary?