This Defense could be scary good...

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hetchinspete. Show Hetchinspete's posts

Re: This Defense could be scary good...

2. This post has been removed.

3. This post has been removed.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from RedSoxDOrtiz. Show RedSoxDOrtiz's posts

In response to CatfishHunter's comment:
    [QUOTE]

In response to tcal2-'s comment:
    [QUOTE]

…..If we just get rid of the two Fire Hydrants we currently have at Safety and Arrington. 

Those 3 guys absolutely stink. 

[/QUOTE]

Ha Ha

I think it's unfair to call them fire hydrants.  If you run into a fire hydrant you'll go down.  Gregory is more like a plastic traffic cone.

[/QUOTE]

Although I think a bit more highly of Gregory, this was pretty darn funny.... haaaa!

I have to say that Gregory had a good game last night and is showing that he is playing much more healthy right now.  This team won with players like Randal Gay in the backfield and Troy Brown... so Gregory should be just fine.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from RedSoxDOrtiz. Show RedSoxDOrtiz's posts

In response to ma6dragon9's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Wow....

Wilfork makes this D better. Period. To think differently is beyond ignorant. WELL beyond.

Mayo is a SOLID player. He does a VERY GOOD job as MLB. People praising Collins and condemning Mayo...you realize Collins didn't play MLB, right? Fletcher did a lot. Hightower also did some. Mayo is rarely out of position, rarely misses tackles...he also doesn't make any 'special' type plays. Hes solid. To complain about him is silly and very nit-picky. 

As good as the D looked yesterday, it's like you guys forgot how much BETTER they looked early on before the cascade of injuries took hold.

Indy had to pass ALL GAME, and completed, what, 2 deep balls? And people whine and complain. Un-fking-real.

Some people won't be happy until Lott and Reed are at S, and Law and Deion Sanders are at CB. No...then these same people would complain that Deion doesn't tackle, and Lott takes too many penalties.

[/QUOTE]

I like your analysis and I agree fully.  What people don't realize is that Collins is a perfect balance to Mayo.  There is one flaw in Hightower, Mayo and Spikes that we haven't seen another linebacker show yet... they all are not good pass cover guys.  Collins allows these big boys the ability to stuff the run on the inside while he will wreak havoc on tight ends and WRs... with a possible role in pass rushing in his future. 

Wilfork is the best nose tackle in the game right now.  To think we are a better team without him is foolish and I can't agree more. 

There are a lot of people who love to complain about this team, but they are in the minority even though they shout more than the rest of us.  This team is built to last and built for the present.  This is going to be a scary good defense next year with all the players thrust into action.  We found the young stud to put beside Wilfork and with Mayo back we could have the top run defense in the year next season.

I think time will tell on the pass defense as a lot of that comes down to signing our best cover back in Talib.  If we can sign him with our current crew maturing, then we could be a top 5 pass defense team as well... overall the defense to start the year was incredible.  They are good enough as currently constituted to win a championship... next year they might be good enough to carry the team like they did the first half of this season.

6. This post has been removed.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from danemcmenamin. Show danemcmenamin's posts

In response to DeadAhead2's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

…..If we just get rid of the two Fire Hydrants we currently have at Safety and Arrington. 

[/QUOTE]

Arrington is one of the best nickels in the league and had a nice game last night. Gregory, too, although I think Harmon takes over next year.

You seem to be personally offended when the other good offense in any offensive era makes a play on the defense.

The Colts just dropped 45 points on a good KC D and this one allows 20 last night as a unit/whole, and you're still trying to scapegoat players who didn't have an A+ game or who aren't superstars.

Learn the game.

[/QUOTE]

This is lies. He was benched in the second quarter for Logan Ryan and Ryan finished the game. Arrington is a good player on his day but he's prone to a stinker every once in a while not the first time this season he's been benched. 

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from 49Patriots. Show 49Patriots's posts

Gregory sucks, McCourty made one bone head play and now he's a bum.

No one talks about Talib's bone head play where he let Hilton get right past him and down field because Talib is thefan favorite.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from joepatsfan111111. Show joepatsfan111111's posts

I've been saying it since I've seen Harmon play two solid games v. Carolina and Denver.

Steve Gregory is a highschool player. He is smart enough to diagnose run plays and can get in position.... but he weighs a solid 110 so cant make the tackle.

and well in coverage he just sucks

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsEng. Show PatsEng's posts

Wow what short memories. At the very begining of the year this D was scary. They were getting tons of pressure, the run D was one of the best, and they weren't giving up long chunks of yards. After Wilfork, Mayo, and Kelly went down the D feel apart and sunk to a bottom half D and one of the worst run D's in the league. Now things have started to stabilize, Siliga has most def helped the inside of the line (reminds me of Love in a way), and Collins has steadily improved but they are no where near where they were at the beginning of the year. 

As for last night Gregory was Gregory, solid but blew a couple of plays. Pretty much what you'd expect from him. Same with Arrington, made a great play and on the very next one got ripped wide open and made to look like a fool for a huge gain. Which ended up getting him benched for the much better player in Ryan. If Arrington was getting paid like a 4th CB on a team, not an issue since that's what he is. An inconsistent money down player who is great on one play and gets blown up the next, but that's not what he's being paid for. So for his pay it's fair to critize his play.

Next year if Wilfork can fully recover having Siliga, Kelly, Wilfork, and hopefully a high DT draft pick with Jones and Nink will be fun to watch. Collins has matured faster than expected and the lose of Spikes most likely won't hurt as Hightower seems to enjoy that run stuffing role. Mayo, FLetcher, Hightower, and Collins seems like a solid LB core moving forward.

McCourty, Dennard, Ryan all are solid but need to add a vet CB (either resign Talib or go for a #2 type quicker CB for the quick receivers) and of course a real SS. Not the next "Rodney" past his prime SS but an actual Rodney coming into his prime SS.

The OL played well last night too. But, clearly they need to add some help at RG and C.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from digger0862. Show digger0862's posts

In response to PatsEng's comment:

Wow what short memories. At the very begining of the year this D was scary. They were getting tons of pressure, the run D was one of the best, and they weren't giving up long chunks of yards. After Wilfork, Mayo, and Kelly went down the D feel apart and sunk to a bottom half D and one of the worst run D's in the league. Now things have started to stabilize, Siliga has most def helped the inside of the line (reminds me of Love in a way), and Collins has steadily improved but they are no where near where they were at the beginning of the year. 

As for last night Gregory was Gregory, solid but blew a couple of plays. Pretty much what you'd expect from him. Same with Arrington, made a great play and on the very next one got ripped wide open and made to look like a fool for a huge gain. Which ended up getting him benched for the much better player in Ryan. If Arrington was getting paid like a 4th CB on a team, not an issue since that's what he is. An inconsistent money down player who is great on one play and gets blown up the next, but that's not what he's being paid for. So for his pay it's fair to critize his play.

Next year if Wilfork can fully recover having Siliga, Kelly, Wilfork, and hopefully a high DT draft pick with Jones and Nink will be fun to watch. Collins has matured faster than expected and the lose of Spikes most likely won't hurt as Hightower seems to enjoy that run stuffing role. Mayo, FLetcher, Hightower, and Collins seems like a solid LB core moving forward.

McCourty, Dennard, Ryan all are solid but need to add a vet CB (either resign Talib or go for a #2 type quicker CB for the quick receivers) and of course a real SS. Not the next "Rodney" past his prime SS but an actual Rodney coming into his prime SS.

The OL played well last night too. But, clearly they need to add some help at RG and C.

+1

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from trouts. Show trouts's posts

Dennard

It was nice having Dennard healthy and back in there. He did get beaten once deep but was in excellent position and looking back for the ball---2 things that Arrington has never managed to get right. Hopefully he stays healthy for the next 2 games.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from pats-fan-2007. Show pats-fan-2007's posts

BB yanked Arrington in the 2nd qrtr.

Arrington did not return.

Note to BB: KEEP ARRINGTON ON THE BENCH,FOR GOODNESS SAKE!

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from mthurl. Show mthurl's posts

[QUOTE]

Wow....

Wilfork makes this D better. Period. To think differently is beyond ignorant. WELL beyond.

Mayo is a SOLID player. He does a VERY GOOD job as MLB. People praising Collins and condemning Mayo...you realize Collins didn't play MLB, right? Fletcher did a lot. Hightower also did some. Mayo is rarely out of position, rarely misses tackles...he also doesn't make any 'special' type plays. Hes solid. To complain about him is silly and very nit-picky. 

As good as the D looked yesterday, it's like you guys forgot how much BETTER they looked early on before the cascade of injuries took hold.

Indy had to pass ALL GAME, and completed, what, 2 deep balls? And people whine and complain. Un-fking-real.

Some people won't be happy until Lott and Reed are at S, and Law and Deion Sanders are at CB. No...then these same people would complain that Deion doesn't tackle, and Lott takes too many penalties.

[/QUOTE]

I don't mean to poor it on Mayo, but have we missed him? I'll say we've missed Wilfork...Kelly, even Spikes will be missed, but I didn't notice a drop off virtually all year because of the lose of Mayo. I think he is a better player than both Fletcher and Hightower - no doubt - but he's no 7 million dollar a year player.

I don't care what anyone says, he's not special. I've watched this guy get burned in coverage for 5 years now....people said..well you can't expect him to be able to cover, well I've watched Collins cover all year and the guy is a rookie.

I think Mayo is solid against the run. I think he is a power player that can run pretty well. I don't think he sucks, but I'm not going to forget all the plays I've seen him not make...there's been too many for me.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from tcal2-. Show tcal2-'s posts

In response to danemcmenamin's comment:
    [QUOTE]

In response to DeadAhead2's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

Arrington is one of the best nickels in the league and had a nice game last night. Gregory, too, although I think Harmon takes over next year.

You seem to be personally offended when the other good offense in any offensive era makes a play on the defense.

The Colts just dropped 45 points on a good KC D and this one allows 20 last night as a unit/whole, and you're still trying to scapegoat players who didn't have an A+ game or who aren't superstars.

Learn the game.

[/QUOTE]

This is lies. He was benched in the second quarter for Logan Ryan and Ryan finished the game. Arrington is a good player on his day but he's prone to a stinker every once in a while not the first time this season he's been benched. 

[/QUOTE]

Go figure, drunk Rusty clueless as to what actually happened in the game last night.  No player has been benched as much as Arrington this year, including last night.  He will defend a shlub like Arrington even going as far as calling him the best slot DB in the league (tears) yet will bash Tom Brady in every post.  

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from dreighver. Show dreighver's posts

I agree that we could use an upgrade over Gregory. No need to upgrade at Arrington's position -- we have Logan Ryan. 

McCourty is a top FS in the league. I think he's a keeper, ha! 

If this defense had Kelly, Vince, and Mayo, they'd be scary good. If the aforementioned return close to full health next season, and if we can re-sign Talib, and add some talent and depth via the draft, this defense will be top-5 in the league next season. 

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from TrueChamp. Show TrueChamp's posts

6. New York Jets: Jerod Mayo, LB

2008 pick: Vernon Gholston

In response to mthurl's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

Wow....

[/QUOTE]

I don't mean to poor it on Mayo, but have we missed him? I'll say we've missed Wilfork...Kelly, even Spikes will be missed, but I didn't notice a drop off virtually all year because of the lose of Mayo. I think he is a better player than both Fletcher and Hightower - no doubt - but he's no 7 million dollar a year player.

I don't care what anyone says, he's not special. I've watched this guy get burned in coverage for 5 years now....people said..well you can't expect him to be able to cover, well I've watched Collins cover all year and the guy is a rookie.

I think Mayo is solid against the run. I think he is a power player that can run pretty well. I don't think he sucks, but I'm not going to forget all the plays I've seen him not make...there's been too many for me.

[/QUOTE]

FOS comes to mind. Collins had been burnt toast in coverage allllll year long till this past game. jason campbell ring a bell? Jordan cameron. Once again, especially with murtl and tcal, other guys don't have to be bad for new guys to be good. 

Whenever Mayo retires, or if he goes to another team these two guys will be saying, see he sucks! Its a joke. You little jokesters you! 

One of the biggest busts in the draft gets replaced by one of the best picks. Until this season, Mayo had escaped serious injury and had become the leader of Bill Belichick's defense as a versatile player who doesn't need to come off the field. He's second in his draft class in total tackles. Gholston, meanwhile, washed out of the league without picking up an NFL sack.

(Mayo's previous slot: No. 10 overall)

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from tcal2-. Show tcal2-'s posts

^^^ Kids this is not how science works.  Just because player A sucks really bad it has absolutely nothing to do with Player B.  

By the way, in case anyone forgot True Champ was the chief Maroney apologist on this board.  He use to do this thing where he would post Maroney's stats over a two year period as if his 700 rushing yards was actually productive. lMAO

Never right:  Maroney, Hobbs, McKenzie, Marryweather, Butler, Brace.....lol. Go light a candle under your Maroney poster.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from joepatsfan111111. Show joepatsfan111111's posts

I disagree with anyone saying Mayo isn't worth 7 million.... Mayo is a top 5 LB in the league and thats what top 5 LBs get paid....

He's no Bowman or Willis but he's certainly close

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from TrueChamp. Show TrueChamp's posts

[QUOTE]

^^^ Kids this is not how science works.  Just because player A sucks really bad it has absolutely nothing to do with Player B.  

By the way, in case anyone forgot True Champ was the chief Maroney apologist on this board.  He use to do this thing where he would post Maroney's stats over a two year period as if his 700 rushing yards was actually productive. lMAO

Never right:  Maroney, Hobbs, McKenzie, Marryweather, Butler, Brace.....lol. Go light a candle under your Maroney poster.

[/QUOTE]

Keep fighting the good fight and tell us how bad our players suck. We'll keep enjoying dominance. You're probably wrong about what side of the car your gas tank is on.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from tcal2-. Show tcal2-'s posts

In response to TrueChamp's comment:

[QUOTE]

Keep fighting the good fight and tell us how bad our players suck. We'll keep enjoying dominance. You're probably wrong about what side of the car your gas tank is on.

[/QUOTE]

Good comeback honey. 

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from MoreRings. Show MoreRings's posts

[QUOTE]

In response to mthurl's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

Wow....

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

FOS comes to mind. Collins had been burnt toast in coverage allllll year long till this past game. jason campbell ring a bell? Jordan cameron. Once again, especially with murtl and tcal, other guys don't have to be bad for new guys to be good. 

Whenever Mayo retires, or if he goes to another team these two guys will be saying, see he sucks! Its a joke. You little jokesters you! 

One of the biggest busts in the draft gets replaced by one of the best picks. Until this season, Mayo had escaped serious injury and had become the leader of Bill Belichick's defense as a versatile player who doesn't need to come off the field. He's second in his draft class in total tackles. Gholston, meanwhile, washed out of the league without picking up an NFL sack.

(Mayo's previous slot: No. 10 overall)

[/QUOTE]

I remember that draft, stone hips, work out warrior VG or Mayo who seemed to grasp the D in NE on his pre draft visits to NE.  Mayo is a leader and consistently is a top tackler in the league.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from themightypatriots. Show themightypatriots's posts

Maroney really lit up the league after he left the Pats and other teams figured out how to use him

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from 49Patriots. Show 49Patriots's posts

We already have a good SS on the roster, but he has to have some limitations because BB doesn't trust him out there.

He's looked good all season and I've only seen him get beat a couple of times, Gregory gets beat a couple of times a game.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from the-redsox-rule. Show the-redsox-rule's posts

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

i like what we have out there now but think we would be even better with mayp and vince.dmc made all pro and is a very good fs. i think the big difference we are seeing is the emergence of collins and hightower becoming star players. neither one of them had much impact when mayp and vince were playing.  id rather have someone other than gregory out there and arrington needs to stay in the slot. 

geeze collins looked like a corner when he made that pick last night. did you see how fast the guy is? damn