This is the best thing for Tom

1. This post has been removed.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsEng. Show PatsEng's posts

Re: This is the best thing for Tom

In response to RidingWithTheKing's comment:

In response to PatsEng's comment:

In response to prolate0spheroid's comment:

He threw to Welker a lot because Welker was his best receiver. It's not like he didn't throw to Gronk, Hern, and Lloyd a lot too.  The reason he gets fewer guys involved now is because there has been a big drop off in talent between the top three or four receivers and everyone else.

This

Besides if you wanted to change up Brady's game then why did you get the guy who most compares to Welker? Makes zero sense if you are trying to change the offensive philosphy, well unless Amendola sucks or isn't in the field then you kind of force Brady to throw to other people thn his slot guy

I think it has more to do with the age factor, cost and yes, the fact that Brady and Welker are buddies.

I know I get bashed for this here, but I don't care. It ties into how BB thinks.  The millisecond he feels something is out of whack with the team goal, you're gone.

I think once Welker didn't take their best offer last year, they started to go to Edelman to see what he could do in Week 2. Welker saw it, etc.  It makes sense. I think Welker felt he was protected a bit since it was known he and Brady were buddies.  I really do. Why is he shocked at a thin market for a 32 year old slot guy?  He shouldn't be if his agent is being honest with him.

Amendola is in Boston tonight, dude.  This was a set up situation.  Once Welker didn't take the 5 million per year deal on Tuesday morning, that was it.

I'm more upset that it was a spite contract on the Pats part. .1mil per season more then Welker got and the 5 years Welker wanted... yeah it was a spite contract and reports are Rams were only willing to go 4mil for no more then 3 years. Over payed just to stick it to Wes. Besides why would you PO your franchise player just to shake things up with a WR who can't stay healthy? I could see if they saved money and spent it on D or if they said Hern is taking Welkers role and went after Jennings or spent the savings on a top end DB but they didn't. They took an injury risk and an unknown in the system because they couldn't come up 1mil per a year after Brady took a team friendly deal. This move was spite nothing else and certainly not to shake things up on O. You don't go out and replace a known, proven, durable guy with his closest counterpart on the field and seriously believe it was to shake up the philosphy on O

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from magicalhobo. Show magicalhobo's posts

and I would take Welkers 16 reg season games over Amendola's 11 reg season games last year too. When you think about it Welker average just under 2 drops a game per every extra game he played over Amendola. I'd rather have that extra receiver with 2 drops then no receiver at all

I get the injury concern. I just think you need to look at it in terms of the longevity of the team. Welker is at the age where he could start declining, and maybe BB started to take note of that. The collarbone break was sort of a freak thing in my opinion. What if Pollard decided to release his anti-Patriots plague on Welker in the first game of the season instead of the final playoff game? At that point we are looking at Welker missing some serious time.

To me, I think that it was a good move that could really pay off. It may turn out that we just made Welker younger and changed his name to Amendola.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from Philskiw1. Show Philskiw1's posts

Don't feel bad for Brady's restructure, he made more guaranteed coin for Brady.   Like they say every camp " it's a new team now and very year, guys come and guys go. We will play who we have here now ". 

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsEng. Show PatsEng's posts

In response to magicalhobo's comment:

In response to seattlepat70's comment:

WW's wrost year on completion rate is about the same as Amendola's best completion rate year

And look at the quality of each player's quarterback. You can't tell me that doesn't have something to do with the completion rate. All I know is this: "Welker’s 11 drops last season were second-most in the NFL. Amendola’s drop rate (2.1 percent of targets dropped) rated second-lowestin the NFL." Per ESPN

and I would take Welkers 16 reg season games over Amendola's 11 reg season games last year too. When you think about it Welker average just under 2 drops a game per every extra game he played over Amendola. I'd rather have that extra receiver with 2 drops then no receiver at all

When Amendola is still here in 3 years and Welker is retiring, you may think differently.

Personally, I could not stomach another crappy output for a Welker/Brady-centric offense in the postseason.

Time for a change. It really was.

tell you what in 3 years if Amendola plays as many games as Welker and gives the same production I'll confuse the good graces you were right but track records dictate what you might get from Amendola in 3 years Welker will do in 2

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsEng. Show PatsEng's posts

I get the injury concern. I just think you need to look at it in terms of the longevity of the team. Welker is at the age where he could start declining, and maybe BB started to take note of that. The collarbone break was sort of a freak thing in my opinion. What if Pollard decided to release his anti-Patriots plague on Welker in the first game of the season instead of the final playoff game? At that point we are looking at Welker missing some serious time.

To me, I think that it was a good move that could really pay off. It may turn out that we just made Welker younger and changed his name to Amendola.

Call them freak accidents all you want but injury prone is injury prone and those that are stay that way. Whether by broken bones or muscles for one reason or another some players can't stay on the field while others can

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from nomadfan. Show nomadfan's posts

In response to pats-fan-2007's comment:

Amendola has excellent hands, Welker one of the worst. Check the stats.

http://espn.go.com/blog/boston/new-england-patriots/post/_/id/4740923/welker-vs-amendola-as-a-slot-receiver

Welker does not have one of the worst hands. He had dropped balls, like every receiver has. That is a stupid thing to say.

8. This post has been removed.

9. This post has been removed.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsEng. Show PatsEng's posts

Call them freak accidents all you want but injury prone is injury prone and those that are stay that way. Whether by broken bones or muscles for one reason or another some players can't stay on the field while others can

I would say that less passing and more targets with Amendola means the odds are he stays healthier than before.

He himself was targeted TOO MUCH himself in STL.  Gronk, Welker, Hernandez are actually targeted too much here.

The idea is to make the D not know who is getting the ball and when, which will reduce the risk of injury.

Again, you're a smat guy so I am shocked at your reaction to this. I can see if NE didn't have a plan or overpaid, but neither is the case.

Rams offer was 4mil for 3 yrs max, they overpaid no way around that. Welkers role took a beating, can't believe Amendola on a team that passes many more times then the Rams he won't also take a beating. Come on Rusty you know as well as anyone, the Pats threw the ball almost 100 times more then the Rams. Even with Gronk, Hern, Ballard, and Lloyd chances are Amendola will get the same number of looks if not more on the Pats

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsEng. Show PatsEng's posts

He threw to Welker a lot because Welker was his best receiver. It's not like he didn't throw to Gronk, Hern, and Lloyd a lot too.  The reason he gets fewer guys involved now is because there has been a big drop off in talent between the top three or four receivers and everyone else.

This

Besides if you wanted to change up Brady's game then why did you get the guy who most compares to Welker? Makes zero sense if you are trying to change the offensive philosphy, well unless Amendola sucks or isn't in the field then you kind of force Brady to throw to other people thn his slot guy

I think it has more to do with the age factor, cost and yes, the fact that Brady and Welker are buddies.

I know I get bashed for this here, but I don't care. It ties into how BB thinks.  The millisecond he feels something is out of whack with the team goal, you're gone.

I think once Welker didn't take their best offer last year, they started to go to Edelman to see what he could do in Week 2. Welker saw it, etc.  It makes sense. I think Welker felt he was protected a bit since it was known he and Brady were buddies.  I really do. Why is he shocked at a thin market for a 32 year old slot guy?  He shouldn't be if his agent is being honest with him.

Amendola is in Boston tonight, dude.  This was a set up situation.  Once Welker didn't take the 5 million per year deal on Tuesday morning, that was it.

I'm more upset that it was a spite contract on the Pats part. .1mil per season more then Welker got and the 5 years Welker wanted... yeah it was a spite contract and reports are Rams were only willing to go 4mil for no more then 3 years. Over payed just to stick it to Wes. Besides why would you PO your franchise player just to shake things up with a WR who can't stay healthy? I could see if they saved money and spent it on D or if they said Hern is taking Welkers role and went after Jennings or spent the savings on a top end DB but they didn't. They took an injury risk and an unknown in the system because they couldn't come up 1mil per a year after Brady took a team friendly deal. This move was spite nothing else and certainly not to shake things up on O. You don't go out and replace a known, proven, durable guy with his closest counterpart on the field and seriously believe it was to shake up the philosphy on O

I really dislike your word choice. It wasn't "spite", dude. It was "we think he's worth no more than 8 mil per in 2012 and 2013 on the market". Welker thought he was worth more on the open market, and he was wrong, as predicted.

You seem to think he deserves special privileges and he doesn't. No one does. Brady doesn't. If Brady is bad in 3 years, he's gone.

BB plays the odds. The money is less, the risk is low with Hernandez as the invested slot guy, Gronk and Ballard are probably the two best TEs in NFL entering 2013, and saving 2 million on Welker's price helps them budget in FA even better than what could have been.

Welker made his choice when he rejected NE's best offer last year.

Not fun, yes. Harsh? Yes.  Reality? Yes.  Why BB is the best at what he does? Yes.

Rusty look at it this way they gave Amendola .1 per more a season then Welker got and for the 5 years Welker wanted last year. That's not a coincidence. That's spite

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from sporter81. Show sporter81's posts

I think Brady will be better. He became too reliant on welker. There were times that he went right to a covered welker incomplete while having a man wide open up the field. Welker is 32 and had taken more hits than any receiver iI the game over the past 5 years. He's been very good no doubt but seriously how long before he drops off or falls to injury? I think not long, maybe even this year. Since changing the offense a few years ago the season has ended the exact same way. Unable to put up points against physical defenses. I'd like to see a more physical offense that runs the ball and uses it for play action. Brady would be devastating in that offense. similar to 03 and 04..  Continue to improve the defense with some of the welker money, win the Super Bowl.. Lets face it, the finesse/Colts offense isn't beating good teams.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from prolate0spheroid. Show prolate0spheroid's posts

Depends a bit on the contract's structure.  If it's heavily backloaded, they may not be paying him too much more than the Rams offered over the next two or three years.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from TheExaminer. Show TheExaminer's posts

This

LOL...bring in a guy who sucks so Brady has to throw to someone else. BB has already tried that strategy at least twice in reent seasons, he used number 85 for the experiment.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from millergrnv. Show millergrnv's posts

In response to DontQuestionBB's comment:

In response to millergrnv's comment:

I know that I will get bashed for this and get sarcastic responses, but Wes going to Denver is the best thing to happen to Tom. Think about this, before Wes came to New England, Tom's favorite target was the open target on the footbal field. When Wes came along and was productive right a way for 6 years, he relied on Wes a lot and really handicapped the offense in a way. Tom would throw the football to Wes with 3 guys surrounding him when there were others that were possibly open. When you rely on one particular player so much, it will hamper the offense. This transaction will benefit Tom & the offense. Though its hard for a lot of fans to believe that, all you need to know is that they had success before Wes came along and they'll have success with Wes in Denver.

Look what happened when the 49ers went from Joe Montana to Steve Young back in the early 90's, they still had a lot of success without Joe Montana.

You mean that 49ers team with Jerry Rice, John Taylor, Dieon Sanders, Ricky Watters, and a host of other top NFL players that Steve Young won a Super Bowl with?

When it comes to the 49ers, the quarterback position dominates San Francisco

16. This post has been removed.