Thoughts on Brady's comments

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from underdoggggg. Show underdoggggg's posts

Thoughts on Brady's comments

Rather than put my own take on these, what are yours?

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2010/08/16/with-finger-no-concern-brady-talks-contract/

With that out of the way, Brady joined WEEI on Monday morning to talk about his contract situation and relationship with Robert Kraft.  Brady was asked about Peyton Manning's negotiations.

"He's one of best to ever play. You know, honestly, it's not about that. When it's all said and done, I'm not gonna sit and worry about who made more money," Brady said via ESPNBoston.com and the Boston Globe.

Brady continued to say he hopes to stay in New England his whole career, but noted that Joe Montana and Jerry Rice couldn't pull that off.  Brady lauded the Krafts' ownership of the team, and interestingly mentioned Wes Welker as someone also deserving more money.

"Every player on the team wants a contract, and to be fairly compensated," Brady said.  "So does Logan [Mankins], you know? So did Vince [Wilfork] last year, so do all the other third-year guys, so does Wes [Welker]. I mean, Wes doesn't make a lot of money, but he's one of best receivers in the league. We all want to be compensated fairly, but we also understand we signed contracts and that's why we're here to show up and give our best."

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from MordecaiBloodmoon. Show MordecaiBloodmoon's posts

Re: Thoughts on Brady's comments

He wants a fair contract, no biggie and totally understandable.  Deserved too

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from ewhite1065. Show ewhite1065's posts

Sounds like a level headed guy who understands the realities of life. It 's kind of refreshing don't you think?

Edit} Also, I might add that it was classy of him not to throw his teammates under the Bus in public.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from ATJ. Show ATJ's posts

Fairly typical of Tom Brady - classy, diplomatic, team-oriented.  He'll get a fair deal from Kraft.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from underdoggggg. Show underdoggggg's posts

Do you guys expect the Pats try to get him to take a contract for a "discount"?

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from Philskiw. Show Philskiw's posts

No. He'll get his coin. Welker will get his and I still believe Mankins will get his. Brady I bet will be 15-20m per. Let him have it. If the Pats never win another Superbowl they already gave me some moments that I'll never forget.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from 49Patriots. Show 49Patriots's posts

Of-course the Pats will try to ask him for a discount, but if he refuses they won't just stop talks with him. I'm positive Brady will take a discount, he's not Pey-a-ton Manning. He understands that he won't catch Montana and Bradshaw without a good defense to back him up, and to get a good defense Belichick will need a some free cap space. 

Brady will be locked for another 5-7 years, roughly around 13-15 mill a year. Brady, unlike Manning, believes in the team, not the individual. 

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from southnpatsfan. Show southnpatsfan's posts

In Response to Re: Thoughts on Brady's comments:
    [QUOTE]Classiest superstar in sports.
    Posted by russgriswold[/QUOTE]

100%,  when the trolls, like underoos talk about man love for Tom it's all about respect for a man of his caliber an still has his feet on the ground!!

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from underdoggggg. Show underdoggggg's posts

49 pat -

Tom Brady signed his contract before the 2005 season and most said he took a discount doing it.  Since then he has not won a Super Bowl and has one MVP. 

By contrast, Manning signed his before the 2004 season and you think he selfishly took more than he should have.  Since then he has won a superbowl and 3 MVP's. 

History does not follow your logic.  If history does not, why should Brady?

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from MordecaiBloodmoon. Show MordecaiBloodmoon's posts

[QUOTE]49 pat - Tom Brady signed his contract before the 2005 season and most said he took a discount doing it.  Since then he has not won a Super Bowl and has one MVP.  By contrast, Manning signed his before the 2004 season and you think he selfishly took more than he should have.  Since then he has won a superbowl and 3 MVP's.  History does not follow your logic.  If history does not, why should Brady?
    Posted by underdoggggg[/QUOTE]

First, I think TB will be signed and sign for less than Manning.  I have no fear of losing Brady at all.  The CBA is slowing or stopping the signing of both QBs.

Under, regarding the logic, yes the logic to take less and get better players on the team still applies.  Just because it doesnt work every time does not mean it isnt a better direction.  We were in the SB, albeit a loss.  We have made the playoffs etc.  It was not like we fell to the bottom of the division.  For example,Carr was a QB taken #1 overall, he sucked, doesnt mean no team should ever draft a QB#1 again.  There is allot to take into account in a team sport, particularly when the team has 22 starters (unlike say basketball where a couple of stars can win it all, football needs a complete team). 

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from ewhite1065. Show ewhite1065's posts

[QUOTE]Do you guys expect the Pats try to get him to take a contract for a "discount"?

I don't think anybody should "expect" anything except that Brady will Re-Sign here. I don't care what they pay Brady but I'm sure Kraft will try and get him as cheap as possible. He always does and I don't blame him for that.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from USMCM1A1. Show USMCM1A1's posts

1) I admire Brady's rheotrical skill.  He constructs an ethos of someone who is unselfish, frank, commited to excellence (arete in a previous age), and generous.  That rhetorical construction matches his public conduct--he act as he speaks, and I admire the hell out of him for it.  Football may seem an unlikley place for rhetorical excellence, buy Brady seems to me, within that sphere, to be Quintillian's idea of oration: good men speaking well.

2) One of the more irksome things I had to suffer this summer was fair wheather Pats fans bitching about Brady being in California, about being unmanly because he spends time with his wife, him being a "pretty boy," and then that he might hold out, etc.  I understand that he is an enviable man, and so he will inspire envy and resentment in weak, jealous minded people, but Brady speaking so well, and being so honest and upfront here (in the middle of a camp where he is here, in great shape, leading his team) shows how BS all that nonsense was: "Wahhh!  Tom Brady is a rockstar with a super-model wife. My hooha hurts when I think about him!" 

Spare me.

3) This is not a comparison with Peyton Manning.  I respect the hell out of Peyton Manning, and I don't have any beef with him, except his team has beaten mine lately :)  He's not selfish, and as for him making commercials, uhh, correct me if I'm wrong, but there does not seem to be a negative correlation between his endorsements and MVP level of play.    Hell, maybe commericals make him even more awesome.

But then again, I'm not a stupid homer--I'm a New England Patriots fan.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from underdoggggg. Show underdoggggg's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Thoughts on Brady's comments : First, I think TB will be signed and sign for less than Manning.  I have no fear of losing Brady at all.  The CBA is slowing or stopping the signing of both QBs. Under, regarding the logic, yes the logic to take less and get better players on the team still applies.  Just because it doesnt work every time does not mean it isnt a better direction.  We were in the SB, albeit a loss.  We have made the playoffs etc.  It was not like we fell to the bottom of the division.  For example,Carr was a QB taken #1 overall, he sucked, doesnt mean no team should ever draft a QB#1 again.  There is allot to take into account in a team sport, particularly when the team has 22 starters (unlike say basketball where a couple of stars can win it all, football needs a complete team). 
    Posted by MordecaiBloodmoon[/QUOTE]
    Mordecai - Conventionally, it would seem that having money to acquire better players makes sense.  I accept that it likely won't work all the time, but the pats had 4 years to do so (Brady hurt in 08) and it didn't.  I guess my point is that the pats are welcome to do as they wish, but don't criticize Manning or the colts for the direction they take.  Manning and the colts went to 2 superbowls, to the playoffs every year, and he won 3 mvps during that time.  Since Brady's contract was done, the colts have been more successful.  

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from vertigho. Show vertigho's posts

Mankins may not be re-signed.

Moss may not be re-signed

Welker may not be re-signed (although I expect that he will be).

-------------------------------------------------------------------

But one thing I can guarantee you. Bob and Johnathan Kraft will keep Brady in New England.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from underdoggggg. Show underdoggggg's posts

USMC - well said about both QB's.  We are fortunate fans of the teams they play for.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from USMCM1A1. Show USMCM1A1's posts

No, Russ, that was not directed at you.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from ewhite1065. Show ewhite1065's posts

A couple more topics from Tom on WEEI this morning.
    Brady Talks about being able to go out and Play Golf with Bob Kraft recently and how great he has been treated by the entire organization. Per Mike Reiss' Blog.

Brady also touched on playing golf with owner Robert Kraft earlier this month.

"He and I haven't had many chances to talk over the last six or seven months. He asked me to come down to play, and I wasn't doing much, my wife was out of town," Brady said. "I haven't had a chance to play much golf either, so I figured I'd take him up on it."

Brady was then asked if his relationship with Kraft is always as it has been.

"Yeah, of course," he said. "We've been through a lot. It's been a great relationship since I've been here, with myself and the team and the organization. I don't want anything to ever get in the way of that. You have to be able to seperate what a good part of a relationship is, and obviously the parts of the relationship you'd rather not deal with. But you have to deal with them."

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from vertigho. Show vertigho's posts

^^^^^^^^^^^

All good news! But we couldn't expect anything else from Tom, could we?

Nonetheless, good to hear that things are all good between Tom and management. Let's get this deal knocked out ASAP.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from chaucer. Show chaucer's posts

Brady is a great QB.  Manning is a great QB.  Each is the right leader for his respective team.  Colt fans think Manning is the best.  Patriot fans think Brady isthe best.  That is as it should be, but it does not resolve anything.  Neither one is Roethlisberger.  Manning is not as selfish as some think.  He put himself and his wallet on the line in New Orleans after Katrina.  Give him a break.  What he does or does not do has nothing to do with Brady's value.  All such comparisons are invidious but this is all that Underdoggg has to do to rile NE fans.  He, however, does not deserve a break.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from underdoggggg. Show underdoggggg's posts

Chaucer - So you are saying I should not have started the thread?  Look, Indy AND NE have this issue staring them in the face.  I expect both to be signed by their respective team, but the topic is current and relevant. 

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from agcsbill. Show agcsbill's posts

The most intersting aspect of this Brady v Manning contract talks is how vocal the Colts have been in their intention to make Manning the highest paid player in NFL history.  While the Pats, on the other hand, have kept things on the QT.  It seems the ownership of the Colts wants to make themselves out to be more player friendly than the Pats, a sort in owner v owner contest which the Colts want to win, too.  You can talk all you want about Manning and his ONE SB ring and multiple league MVPs while Brady has THREE SB rings and only 1 league MVP.  What it means to me is Manning is deperately needed by the Colts to play well as their franchise is built around him.  MVP means to the team.  As good as Brady is, he is does not need to take the Pats onto his shoulders for the team to win like Manning does.  Of the two teams, the Pats can survive without Brady while the Colts, shudder the thought for all Colts fans, can't do without Manning at this time.  Prove it otherwise.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from underdoggggg. Show underdoggggg's posts

Agc - I think there's some validity in your comments.  Not necessarily the owner vs. owner thing, but that the colts couldn't survive without Manning.  Frankly, they are not set up to. 

I'll spin it a little differently for you though.  You might not like this.  The CBA issue imo isn't just owners vs. players.  There are some big issues between large market and small market teams. 

I think Jones and Kraft are looking for ways to keep from sharing as much revenue.   This would help their franchise at the expense of the smaller markets.  I think this started with the pension opt out a little over a year ago.  As such Kraft may actually want this lockout so he is keeping his mouth shut.  I don't know if Irsay does for a couple of reasons.  One any changes that may also come about regarding revenue sharing cannot help the colts.  Two, Indy has the superbowl in 2011.  A lockout doesn't guarantee that there is no superbowl that year, but it certainly raises the question.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from raptor64d. Show raptor64d's posts

Classy comes to mind. I really think he considers himself a very lucky man to make a boat load of money playing a game, something he has said over and over, and probably gets embarrased a little talking about it when he knows working stiff fans are going to see or hear his comments about making more in one year then a lot of us will make period. Humble is another word I would use for Tom.

Go Pats!!!

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from TrueChamp. Show TrueChamp's posts

[QUOTE]49 pat - Tom Brady signed his contract before the 2005 season and most said he took a discount doing it.  Since then he has not won a Super Bowl and has one MVP.  By contrast, Manning signed his before the 2004 season and you think he selfishly took more than he should have.  Since then he has won a superbowl and 3 MVP's.  History does not follow your logic.  If history does not, why should Brady?

Underdogged, You bring up some valid points and I talked about this on The Bill Simmons thread, but let me ask you this question as you are a knowledgeable Colts fan.

As accomplished as Manning has been since 2004, Do you think if Peyton had given his team a home town discount(lets say 30 million over 6 years) that they could have used the extra $ to perhaps shore up some defensive inadequacies and possible have won another Super Bowl(or two). Colts have had the best record in football more often then not for the last 5 years but only 1 title. If Manning could have been the "Man" that Brady was do you think it would have benefited your team and "got them over the hump"?

I think this is a valid question for you and I look forward to your direct and honest answer.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from underdoggggg. Show underdoggggg's posts

TC - 30 mill over 6 years.  That wouldn't be a discount, that would be highway robbery.  Its not even worth discussing.  But if you are asking whether or not a discount would have helped the colts win more, I would point you to the example of Tom Brady where it did not. 

I think Manning is every bit the "man" Brady is, but nice effort at a shot. 

Here's my theory for the both of them.  Take everything you can.  Get it and then use it through the years as necessary (by restructuring as both did or changing the contract) to get or maintain players to help the team.