Thoughts on Wisconsin/MSU ending.

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from user_3993225. Show user_3993225's posts

Re: Thoughts on Wisconsin/MSU ending.

In Response to Re: Thoughts on Wisconsin/MSU ending.:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: Thoughts on Wisconsin/MSU ending. : You look at NCAA basketball and there are still teams who are upset about not getting in the tournament but nobody cares because whether your the 64th or 65th best team your not arguing about number one, and they really didn't have much of a chance. An 8 game playoff just moves the controversy from who's number one and two, to who's number eight and nine. And since almost nobody cares about being the 8th best team, there will be far less controversy. 
    Posted by shenanigan[/QUOTE]

Couldn't have said it better myself.  Has there been any season in recent memory where the BCS controversy over the NC game extended beyond the top 8 teams?  I can't think of one.  At the very least this would solve all the issues with more than 2 undefeated teams.

2. This post has been removed.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from brdbreu. Show brdbreu's posts

[QUOTE]I never saw a replay that showed the ball crossed the goal line.  Perhaps the replay official saw something we didn't see.  Since the play on the field was ruled no TD then i didn't see enough to overturn it.  Other than the fact the officials had to find a way off the field in E.Lansing had they ruled no TD and the sparties lost.
    Posted by MichFan[/QUOTE]

espn spent a half hour on showing the video frame by frame and froze it when the ball was clearly across the goal line.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from bredbru. Show bredbru's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Thoughts on Wisconsin/MSU ending. : Here is my theory on why this hasn't changed and why the SEC fans in particular, from my experience, like it how it is now as they try to deflect and control the status quo: This is their baby. The South still isn't completely past the idea that pro sports originated in the North.  So, they hang on to college sports. NASCAR, college basketball and football are the southern instituions, generally speaking.  All pro franchises are relatively new, especially with regards to hockey and even the NBA, so it's college football and basketball, as well as NASCAR. So, they see their college instiutions as pro sports franchises. If these things change, or if the SEC loses this power surge, it's seen as an attack on their pride, tradition, etc.  Yup, it goes back to inferiority complexes and the Civil War.  Yep. There is no other real explanation why any college football fan wouldn't want a playoff for the betterment of the sport.  The NCAA continues to ignore what's godo for the sport and fans because it's about money to them.  I get it. I do. But, if I was a diehard college football fan, I'd be beyond annoyed at this point. So, in turn, diehard SEC fans or any diehard fan of any conference, is being taken for a ride because the current system is a boon and a slam dunk way to generate strong profits, but at the expense of the purity of the game they claim is so great. This isn't 1984.  All bowl traditions have eroded. There are arguments every year where peopole are ranked, who is the best, who should play in the title game, etc. It's annoying. Look at this thread. Z and Cowards are arguing over who should be ranked where, etc, and this argument wouldn't exist if there was a playoff. It wouldn't matter, really, where you were ranked if there was a playoff. Maybe the top 4 teams get a Bye week as a bonus for that ranking, but if you had a top 12-16 type playoff, no one would be arguing. The only arguments would be the 17-25 rankings, but if there was no cupcake games on a schedule, it would come down to teams that would be losing say, 3 or 4 games that would be ranked in that pocket anyway, with teams only losing 2 or 3 games in the 12-16 range. Get rid of the cupcakes, implement a round robin playoff and shorten the season by 1 game if you need to. I am tired of the excuses from the NCAA. "They have exams."  "Holiday season."  BALONEY So, there'd be very little complaining or whining, certainly a lot less than now. And the big bowl boys like the Rose, Fiesta, Orange, Cotton, Sugar, etc, would all get their same bids, etc, they'd just be competing for which one would be the host that year, which would actually give the NCAA even MORE money. Eliminate the Blockbuster Video bowl on Dec 22 (example), that no one I know cares about.  Right now, the product is watered down. They'd bid for example based on perceived ratings potential, say the Rose is a host for the title game one year, and the runners up fall in line hosting the quarters and semis, etc. It'd be so easy and people would love it.  You'd also have no conference changes with teams like we see now chasing money and we would see FAR LESS coach hopping, the latter being the real elephant in the room.  What message does it send to students recruited to play, when the coach bails the nesxt year because he can double his salary? I mean, I get it, but that wouldn't happen if the money was more evenly spread out and growth was attainable.  It's flat out of hand and this is a microcosm of what is wrong with our society. Sell out and cash in and who cares about the reality.
    Posted by RidingWithTheKing[/QUOTE]

re:

"

Here is my theory on why this hasn't changed and why the SEC fans in particular, from my experience, like it how it is now as they try to deflect and control the status quo:"

this is exactly opposite of the truth. in a true playoff ie like div 1a, (where  not just 8 teams get in), 4-6 sec teams many or most years would likely go deep in the playoffs, thereby showing exactly how they stand against teams around the country instead of them being ranked much lower (in a top 20 or top 30) due to losses they receive becasue of playing weekly in the sec. also, on more occasions than the rest of college football would feel comfortable, there would be 2 sec teams playing for the championship. so you see you are exactly 180% wrong in this case. sec fans will be greatly advantaged for there to be a playoff in ncaafb.

5. This post has been removed.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from bredbru. Show bredbru's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Thoughts on Wisconsin/MSU ending. : I would agree but every SEC fan I know is against my suggestion for a playoff format and I could never figure out why other than the theory I suggested above. I am not wrong if I want more competition for the sport, dude. Talk to stubborn SEC and college football traditionalists, not me.
    Posted by RidingWithTheKing[/QUOTE]

re:
    "I am not wrong if I want more competition for the sport, dude.

Talk to stubborn SEC and college football traditionalists, not me."

i am on the same page about the increased competition.

i accept you may have sec friends or contacts that may not want a playoff. i see no reason to be against it other than either just going with the flow or being a traditionalist over reasonable sense, ie every pee wee league up to dv 2 and 3 cfb has a complete playoff.