Throwing a deep pass into coverage, a strategy to get a PI call?

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from agcsbill. Show agcsbill's posts

Throwing a deep pass into coverage, a strategy to get a PI call?

Throughout this season, I can't recall how many times I have seen a long pass thrown in which the receiver was clearly not open, but, a PI call occurred.  Many times both players are arm wrestling with each other, but, the defender gets called.  Also, on an underthrown ball, the receiver stops in their tracks and the defender bumps into them and is called for the PI when all they were doing is keeping up with the receiver.  Is this a strategy employed by some savvy QBs, especially when it is a 3rd and long play, to get a PI call?  We did see this this past weekend a few times and in that first Ravens-Pats game.  By the way, on the long pass play to Welker down the far sideline, both players were arm wrestling then at the last second the defender pulled his arms away.  A conscious effort to avoid a PI call if even one of his hands were on Welker?  With these new rules, breathing on a receiver is just about verboten. 

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from Iceman4. Show Iceman4's posts

Re: Throwing a deep pass into coverage, a strategy to get a PI call?

I was suprised the flag didn't come out on that play..........

3. This post has been removed.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from ccsjl. Show ccsjl's posts

You mean the DungHEAP/PoliANUS/Jughead rule? In Indy thats all Jughead did - throw long for reciever to jump on Dback for automatic flag. Notice thats the only way he won anything??

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from agcsbill. Show agcsbill's posts

In response to ccsjl's comment:
    [QUOTE]

You mean the DungHEAP/PoliANUS/Jughead rule? In Indy thats all Jughead did - throw long for reciever to jump on Dback for automatic flag. Notice thats the only way he won anything??

[/QUOTE]

I didn't go there directly, but, that certainly appeared to be one strategy for an elite QB in the NFL.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from ccsjl. Show ccsjl's posts

Which DIDNT apply to Dolts in 2006 - ONLY team in league that year who was not flagged for a single PI...