TightEnd Questions

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from N464Mex-N460A. Show N464Mex-N460A's posts

TightEnd Questions

I've heard it said that Hernandez will be an H-back. What does that mean exactly? I understand he will be more of a pass catcher than blocker.
    Gronkowski is primarily a blocking TE?
    How often will we see Hernandez and Gronk on the field at the same time?
    How and how much will these rookie tight ends effect the red zone offense

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from mthurl. Show mthurl's posts

Re: TightEnd Questions

They'll move him around more. He may not be asked to play along the line with blocking responsibilities as much as Crumpler and he may be lined up in the slot a bit. Also H backs can line up in the backfield and take some of the run blocking job that the full back might do. When in the backfield they can also go out for pass routes from that spot, slipping through the line or swinging out, screens, etc. It's a pretty versatile position if you can find the right player, the key will be his ability to block, because you will be much more of a dynamic threat if they don't know what to expect from him when he's out there.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from FOWLER8196. Show FOWLER8196's posts

Gronk will be more than an OL on this team.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from kansaspatriot. Show kansaspatriot's posts

We got Gronk, and Crump. Wonder what nick name Hednandez will get?

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from mthurl. Show mthurl's posts

In Response to Re: TightEnd Questions:
    We got Gronk, and Crump. Wonder what nick name Hednandez will get?
    Posted by kansaspatriot

Herbnandez?

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from DogenHanda. Show DogenHanda's posts

In Response to Re: TightEnd Questions : Herbnandez?
    Posted by mthurl

Good one....you're on the right track.....how about 'herb-factor'....LOL!!!

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from Faucetman. Show Faucetman's posts

In Response to TightEnd Questions:
    I've heard it said that Hernandez will be an H-back. What does that mean exactly? I understand he will be more of a pass catcher than blocker. Gronkowski is primarily a blocking TE? How often will we see Hernandez and Gronk on the field at the same time? How and how much will these rookie tight ends effect the red zone offense
    Posted by sirpinochle

Gronk is a serious weapon in the passing game.  He runs in the 4.66 range and at 6'6" is a huge target especially in goal line situations, and 3rd downs.  He is more than just a good blocker; he has excellent hands.  He was the most complete TE in the draft.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from rocher. Show rocher's posts

And the most injured.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from Faucetman. Show Faucetman's posts

And the most injured.
    Posted by rocher

Actually no, that title would go to Moeaki. 

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsLifer. Show PatsLifer's posts

Gronk and Herby should give this offense a wrinkle or two that will be hard to scheme against, especially if Tate, Holt and Price can contribute. We haven't had a decent, solid pass catching/blocking TE in years, and now we have 3 solid TE's. That should create a ton of mismatches and provide flexibility in both run and pass offense. 
    I don't think you can classify Gronk as a blocking TE. He is a TE that can block and catch equally as effective. Same to a point with Crump, but of course, he is old, so probably primmarily relegated to blocking and a few catches. 
    Of the 3 TE's, Herby intrigues me the most. It's his versatility to line up almost anywhere, coupled with his speed and nice hands. He will be a threat if the Pats can use him right. 

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from mthurl. Show mthurl's posts

Gronk and Herby should give this offense a wrinkle or two that will be hard to scheme against, especially if Tate, Holt and Price can contribute. We haven't had a decent, solid pass catching/blocking TE in years, and now we have 3 solid TE's. That should create a ton of mismatches and provide flexibility in both run and pass offense.  I don't think you can classify Gronk as a blocking TE. He is a TE that can block and catch equally as effective. Same to a point with Crump, but of course, he is old, so probably primmarily relegated to blocking and a few catches.  Of the 3 TE's, Herby intrigues me the most. It's his versatility to line up almost anywhere, coupled with his speed and nice hands. He will be a threat if the Pats can use him right. 
    Posted by PatsLifer

Although Herby is probably going to come in and contribute, if you can find some highlights of Gronk you'll come away amazed. If it weren't for the injury, and that is a big if, we'd be talking about a high first round pick. The guy is fast, smooth, big, physical, can block and runs after the catch. This guy, again if the back is alright, can catch 60 passes as a rookie and be good for 80 his second season. Just a complete tight end, a rare blend of skills for the position and should be a force in the red zone. 

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from MordecaiBloodmoon. Show MordecaiBloodmoon's posts

mthurl, although I agree with your talent assessment of Gronk, I dont think he will approach those numbers even healthy.  We dont use our TEs that much. We now have 3 that can catch.  So unless he is fully healthy and becomes superman, I cant see more than 30 this year and 40-60 next. IMHO.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from kansaspatriot. Show kansaspatriot's posts

In Response to Re: TightEnd Questions : Herbnandez?
    Posted by mthurl

LOL, how bout shortening to just "herb"

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from arodrambone. Show arodrambone's posts

Gronk could be our new Coates.

Crazy and wonderful to think that both of these guys are still minors.

Gresham:
    June 16, 1988

Gronkowski:
    May 14, 1989

Hernandez:
    November 6, 1989

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from msteven. Show msteven's posts

THe TightEnds need to make up for the 100 catches that Welker will be not catching.  Until Welker is back 100%, someone has to do the catching.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from MordecaiBloodmoon. Show MordecaiBloodmoon's posts

Edelman will get a good 60 or so this year and make up for a bunch of WWs.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsLifer. Show PatsLifer's posts

Hard to project what Gronk will catch. I think it's going to be in the 35-40 range. I think Herby possibly has 15-20. I would like to see Herby line up in the backfield and take a handoff or two, or possibly a little shuttle type pass like he use to work with Tebow. 

It's amazing to think all of the potential offensive firepower we have now. Last year we were longing for a 3rd WR, now we have legit guys 6-8 deep that can catch. 

The one area of the field I want to see exploited is the middle and mid-range. I felt last year it was long to Moss or short to Welker/Edelman. Not a lot happening on mid-range, middle of the field routes. We need to open this portion of the field up so Moss and Edelman can get theirs. Gronk and Herby should do quite well here. 

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from Rockdog1293000. Show Rockdog1293000's posts

First off, I'll say that I'm excited about Gronk and Hernandez. They both seem very promising. I'll also say that Watson and Graham were not great players.

That being said, they were good players who were not utilized too well in NE. For everyone saying 'now we have decent TE's and all is well', you are not thinking clearly. People said the same thing when the Pats drafted Watson and saw him catch a TD in his first preseason game. Now we have a natural pass catcher in Watson, and that Graham guy was just a mistake. Now we have new guys, and that Watson guy was a mistake. Just change the names to suit the argument. Whatever skills the guy leaving lacked the new guy has, so all will be well now. Not logical thinking at all.

Again, when people say we didn't have a H back option then you are not very knowledgable fans. They traded David Thomas away for a 7th round pick before the season started. A 7th round pick (which turned into a sixth because the guy can play). They kept Chris Baker over him. Dave Thomas only won a super bowl ring and increased his production by 350%. Why can't we get guys like him? Because they don't use them in the offense! It's either a draw to faulk, a dive to maroney, a dinky pass to welker, or a long ball to moss. Unless the offense changes, the role of the tight end won't either.

Again, Gronk might be Ben Coates and Hernandez might be Dallas Clark. I think it's more likely that these guys turn into decent players (the NFL is pretty tough). I think they'll be productive if they are utilized, but only if they are utilized. Those players everyone is pissing on had good production when called upon. 

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from Rockdog1293000. Show Rockdog1293000's posts

Also, isn't anyone concerned about how they've scouted this position? Think back to last training camp. Who was the best performer? It was Thomas by a long shot. Thomas was a good blocker, has good movement skills, and can catch the ball.

What did the Pats do? They kept Watson and Chris Baker (who can use a sand dial to time his 40 yard dash). Really? People aren't skeptical about this? Those were just awful decisions. Not bad, awful.

Mord: Now we have three that can catch? Are you assuming Watson can't catch? I know he didn't have the greatest hands, but to say Crumpler (who doesn't move well and looked pretty overweight last year) is an upgrade is not accurate (Crumpler can catch and Watson can't). Look at their value on the market. There's a reason why Watson got a great deal and Crumpler got what he did. Well, if your analysis of Watson is that he can't catch then I would say Crumpler can't do anything but block and is useless as a pass catching TE. I'd wait to say Gronk and Hernandez can catch. The NFL is a pretty competitive league and you can't assume college production from a TE or a WR (see Chad Jackson, Bethel Johnson, or any of the other 600 busts) will translate to the NFL.

Again, let's calm down a little bit with the TE production. I'd love Gronk and Hernandez to be great, but we've been down this road twice before.  

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from Patsfan038. Show Patsfan038's posts

Also, isn't anyone concerned about how they've scouted this position? Think back to last training camp. Who was the best performer? It was Thomas by a long shot. Thomas was a good blocker, has good movement skills, and can catch the ball. What did the Pats do? They kept Watson and Chris Baker (who can use a sand dial to time his 40 yard dash). Really? People aren't skeptical about this? Those were just awful decisions. Not bad, awful. Mord: Now we have three that can catch? Are you assuming Watson can't catch? I know he didn't have the greatest hands, but to say Crumpler (who doesn't move well and looked pretty overweight last year) is an upgrade is not accurate (Crumpler can catch and Watson can't). Look at their value on the market. There's a reason why Watson got a great deal and Crumpler got what he did. Well, if your analysis of Watson is that he can't catch then I would say Crumpler can't do anything but block and is useless as a pass catching TE. I'd wait to say Gronk and Hernandez can catch. The NFL is a pretty competitive league and you can't assume college production from a TE or a WR (see Chad Jackson, Bethel Johnson, or any of the other 600 busts) will translate to the NFL. Again, let's calm down a little bit with the TE production. I'd love Gronk and Hernandez to be great, but we've been down this road twice before.  
    Posted by Rockdog1293000

I agree. We need to revamp the offence to involve TE as a pass catching option. Otherwise we are going to have posts next year which will read "Our TE duos=Bust" and people will lament as how low production they have attained. Look at Colts offence. Manning throws to WR and TE alike, and so did Favre with the vikings. We should have a similar mentality and not look for long bombs to Moss, or use Welker as safety valve all the time.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from Rockdog1293000. Show Rockdog1293000's posts

They certainly can do it too. It'll just take a shift away from 60% shotgun, 5 wide mentality. It'll be worth the effort to develop the offense and the TE duo. I think Brady under center, with more play action, would do the offense a lot of good. Otherwise, they are investing in a position that would be just as good with a guy like Rod Rutledge. I hope they are investing in TE's because they want to use them more.

In Response to Re: TightEnd Questions : I agree. We need to revamp the offence to involve TE as a pass catching option. Otherwise we are going to have posts next year which will read "Our TE duos=Bust" and people will lament as how low production they have attained. Look at Colts offence. Manning throws to WR and TE alike, and so did Favre with the vikings. We should have a similar mentality and not look for long bombs to Moss, or use Welker as safety valve all the time.
    Posted by bmadmax81

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from zbellino. Show zbellino's posts

By and large, it is prep for life after Welker. 

Welker will be back, but it is unrealistic to expect a man his size to stand up to hundreds of catches a season. 

But it appears Ne is drafting split end type WRs and now two TEs, including an H-back type. This (to me) spells less spread type sets, and more using TEs to leverage different levels of the field and confuse defenders on their assignment.

I agree with the other posters. Gronk could be a monster here. A total game changer, if he can figure out the NFL route system. He has soft hands and immense size. He is a total mismatch against *anyone* he will see on defense. It will be like having Shaq play TE. Plus he is good after the catch. He is the kind of guy you can't "drag down," which spells YAC.

But a big part is mental. We'll see how that comes along. 

If these guys work out, especially Gronk, NE can really use the RBs they have more effectively. As opposed to spelling out run whenever they aren't in spread. Then the spread can be reserved for when they want to accelerate the tempo of the game a bit. 

Exciting group. 

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from viewer222. Show viewer222's posts

Because all 3 TEs are new to this team, the Pats will carry at least 3 TEs. If they determine that Hernandez is better suited for HB/FB that would affect how many RBs the Pats carry. Another intriguing possibility is they use seventh round pick Thomas Welch as a TE. I know he has a background as an OL in college, but he played TE in High school. The way BB utilizes TEs this is a possibility depending on Welch's skill set.