Time for Patriots to hit panic button at WR?

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from TFB12. Show TFB12's posts

Time for Patriots to hit panic button at WR?

The Patriots don't have many holes left, but the one at wide receiver is glaring, and they must take bold steps in the next month. Tom Brady needs enough targets to not only continue the offensive dominance that has lasted over a decade, but to fix the problems the passing offense has had since Randy Moss and his ability to take the top off of defenses left. 

With the addition of another free agent or two, and a double-dip in the draft they should have enough pieces in the mix for a competition, though it's no guarantee that the offense can continue their torrid pace of 2012.

The moves the Patriots make at wide receiver over the next month will play a significant part in the final act of Tom Brady's career. Finding and developing new dangerous playmakers for Brady has never been easy, and the Pats have missed far more than they've hit.

Now it might be the only thing standing between Brady, Belichick and their fourth Super Bowl.

Read more here: 

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/1580906-time-for-patriots-to-hit-the-panic-button-at-wide-receiver

2. This post has been removed.

3. This post has been removed.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from 42AND46. Show 42AND46's posts

Re: Time for Patriots to hit panic button at WR?

In response to APpats21's comment:

In response to RidingWithTheKingII's comment:

Classic. Reminds me of the oncoming 2007 season. I love reading moron premises who prey on stupidity.

LMAO

That was quick.

only thing quicker might when be those "we want wes" chants start next season

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from PATSchampsSB. Show PATSchampsSB's posts

hahahahaha you don`t need to argue, everybody will be happy and celebrating, when Pats win the next SB, we`re all patriots fans, let`s live in harmony hahahaha

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from seattlepat70. Show seattlepat70's posts

Not at all

I am more concerned about not getting a CB in the draft. This class is deep on WR - I'd say close to 15 deep - albeit of varying styles, therefore different evaluators will have different preferences. Here is the first 19 WRs as rated by NFLdraftscout

Allen, Patterson, Hopkins, Austin, Woods, Williams, Dobson, Wheaton, Patton, Hunter, Rogers, Hamilton, Goodwin, Bailey, Stills, King, Swope, Harper, Vernon 

Pat should be able to pick up one even in the third.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from TFB12. Show TFB12's posts

You know Rusty is gonna be all over this and insulting you as soon as he sees it right? Haha but nah the Pats should be fine. Hopefully they offer Sanders a sheet and draft a couple in the draft. Hopefully 2 of Hopkins, Stedman Bailey, or Rogers.

Hahaha!!  

Well it's a no brainer that they will be bringing in a few more receivers.  But who is the question.  I would like to see a deeper threat brought in of course.  I will continue to argue that the Pats not finding a deep threat since they let Moss go has hurt the offense, more then some here would like to admit,  to the point of not being able to spread defenses out.  If they can bring in a deep threat then I really believe it will help open up the short/middle field as well as help the run game greatly.  They don't have anyone yet that can do that.

I'm curious about Edelman.  I feel he will be brought back but I am wondering if they are waiting until they see what happens with Sanders.  I still wouldn't mind seeing Lloyd come back.  He had a fairly good year to build off and having one season with TFB and the Pats offense under his belt would be big.  It worries me with all the new WR's coming in that it's going to take some time to develop them in the offense.

I would really like to see them make a trade to get a good, solid WR instead of relying on the draft or getting a current FA.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from TFB12. Show TFB12's posts

In response to RidingWithTheKingII's comment:

Classic. Reminds me of the oncoming 2007 season. I love reading moron premises who prey on stupidity.

LMAO

C'mon Rusty!  While you might not like the message of the article it would be ignorant to say it doesn't have some solid points in it.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from quinzpatsfan. Show quinzpatsfan's posts

In response to TFB12's comment:

The Patriots don't have many holes left, but the one at wide receiver is glaring, and they must take bold steps in the next month. Tom Brady needs enough targets to not only continue the offensive dominance that has lasted over a decade, but to fix the problems the passing offense has had since Randy Moss and his ability to take the top off of defenses left. 

With the addition of another free agent or two, and a double-dip in the draft they should have enough pieces in the mix for a competition, though it's no guarantee that the offense can continue their torrid pace of 2012.

The moves the Patriots make at wide receiver over the next month will play a significant part in the final act of Tom Brady's career. Finding and developing new dangerous playmakers for Brady has never been easy, and the Pats have missed far more than they've hit.

Now it might be the only thing standing between Brady, Belichick and their fourth Super Bowl.

Read more here: 

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/1580906-time-for-patriots-to-hit-the-panic-button-at-wide-receiver

TF, I'm not hitting the panic button, even if the pats don't draft a wideout and sign Stallworth, gaffney and branch back.  The pats went to the superbowl in 2011 with Branch, no-show and eraser head.  If gronk and hernz are healthy and ammedola can pickup the offense and be totally on the same page with TB by the playoffs we can win the SB with anyone at the wideout position IMO.  Adding an outside threat would def help but NO i'm not panicing.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from xxxcrwn. Show xxxcrwn's posts

Demps might have been the guy to play wideout, but his head doesn't seem to be in it.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from bredbru. Show bredbru's posts

In response to seattlepat70's comment:

Not at all

I am more concerned about not getting a CB in the draft. This class is deep on WR - I'd say close to 15 deep - albeit of varying styles, therefore different evaluators will have different preferences. Here is the first 19 WRs as rated by NFLdraftscout

Allen, Patterson, Hopkins, Austin, Woods, Williams, Dobson, Wheaton, Patton, Hunter, Rogers, Hamilton, Goodwin, Bailey, Stills, King, Swope, Harper, Vernon 

Pat should be able to pick up one even in the third.

give me 2 of wrs like hopkins and rogers and a pass rusher ie carradine. use teh mallet pick and 2014 picks to do it

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from bredbru. Show bredbru's posts

You know Rusty is gonna be all over this and insulting you as soon as he sees it right? Haha but nah the Pats should be fine. Hopefully they offer Sanders a sheet and draft a couple in the draft. Hopefully 2 of Hopkins, Stedman Bailey, or Rogers.

Hahaha!!  

Well it's a no brainer that they will be bringing in a few more receivers.  But who is the question.  I would like to see a deeper threat brought in of course.  I will continue to argue that the Pats not finding a deep threat since they let Moss go has hurt the offense, more then some here would like to admit,  to the point of not being able to spread defenses out.  If they can bring in a deep threat then I really believe it will help open up the short/middle field as well as help the run game greatly.  They don't have anyone yet that can do that.

I'm curious about Edelman.  I feel he will be brought back but I am wondering if they are waiting until they see what happens with Sanders.  I still wouldn't mind seeing Lloyd come back.  He had a fairly good year to build off and having one season with TFB and the Pats offense under his belt would be big.  It worries me with all the new WR's coming in that it's going to take some time to develop them in the offense.

I would really like to see them make a trade to get a good, solid WR instead of relying on the draft or getting a current FA.

hopkins and rogers are way better than any receiver and also cheaper

13. This post has been removed.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from 49Patriots. Show 49Patriots's posts

They can get Edelman for cheap and they need to draft a WR.

They can get Da'Rick Rogers in round 2, but Brady doesn't throw to big WRs. Wouldn't shock me if BB trades his 1st with San Fran for their 31st and their 74th. Then trade his 3rd for Tens's 97th and 107th. 

Get ready to see a bunch of none drafts. 

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from ATJ. Show ATJ's posts

Hardly a time to panic.  I'm pretty happy with what they've done thus far in free agency and there's still plenty of time to get another wideout or two. Both Edelman and Lloyd are still out there and I'm guessing that the Pats are going to make an offer to Sanders at some point when BB feels the timing is right.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from rkarp. Show rkarp's posts

I have never been a fan of bleacher report. I do concur however that Pats nearing their spending end unless additional roster moves are made with either cuts or extensions or restructures. 

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from rkarp. Show rkarp's posts

Is the vets minimum for a player with Lloyd's service time under the new CBA $1.0M?

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from prolate0spheroid. Show prolate0spheroid's posts

I don't think it's panic time, but those who seem not to care about the WR position are wrong in my opinion.  I didn't like what they did last year, going into the season with very few WRs on the roster (Welker, Lloyd, Salas, Edelman, and Slater).  In the end, I think having so few receivers hurt them, particularly as the injuries mounted in the TE position. (It's also left them with a depleted group this year, that needs to be completely rebuilt, in a year when they don't have a lot of draft picks.) I'd like to see them go into 2013 with at least five true receivers plus Slater.  And I'd like to see the quality of those receivers be a bit higher than last year's class.  I suspect BB is going to pick up a few more free agents (even if they are veterans cut later in the preseason)--and I do think we'll see at least one WR picked in the draft.  

Currently, the roster includes five WRs plus Slater.  The five are: Amendola, Jones, Ebert, Aiken, and Holmes.  Only two of those have any real time playing in the regular season.  I think we need to pick up a few more guys to compete in camp--hopefully a veteran (or two or three) with some NFL regular season experience plus at least one or two rookies. I see the rookies as the bigger hope now for real quality, which means I think drafting one or two is a good idea.  A trade for a veteran is a bit unlikely, I think (who do we give up?), and signing one of the available restricted free agents like Sanders or Cruz is a tough move because it reduces draft picks in a year when draft picks are already scarce. 

I agree that defense is more important generally for the Pats, since that's been their bigger weakness, but there are reasons why the offense sometimes underperforms in big games and that's largely because we have a thin receiving corp which gets far too thin when a WR or TE (like Gronk) is injured.  We should address this problem so our offense is more diverse and a bit more resilient against injuries. At this point, I think the draft is our best chance for quality, and veteran free agency our best chance for experienced depth.  Trades or restricted free agent signings seem less likely to me . . . but given the right deal, they may be okay too.  I do think, we should take this seriously enough to get at least one more quality guy, preferably someone with true x-type skills. 

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsEng. Show PatsEng's posts

Not time to hit the panic button yet but they do need to add some talent. As Rkarp brought up though, they might need to make some additional roster space to bring in a Sanders and frankly I'm not sure how high I am on Sanders. I've watched him play and the kid is smart but he's a #2/3 WR at this point, same as Jones. One thing I don't want to happen is fill the roster with a bunch of #2/3 WR types and hope one can take the next step and bring up his game. That would essentially be closer to 06' all over again.

The other thing to consider if they do acquire Sanders is they most likely aren't going to go WR in the draft again, provided they don't trade Mallett. I can't see them spending 2 picks on WR's with CB having the walking IR machine being the all feasible backup at this point and we know they are looking for a DT as they inquired about a number of DT's this offseason.

The other thing to consider is if they want to bring Abraham into the fold too. In order to get Sanders on the team they have to make it almost impossible for the Steelers to match. That might chew up enough cap space to prevent the team from getting Abraham. Waiting Lloyd out for a vet min deal, signing Abraham, and drafting a young kid might be better overall then trying to just get Sanders by himself

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from portfolio1. Show portfolio1's posts

Read more here: 

PANIC BUTTON? Really? I am always impressed with the way people feel a need to over state EVERYTHING. From indivudals like us to the media to companies and politicians and .... everyone. Everywhere. From "this will be the death of marriage" (give me a break) to "this will be the death of our rights" (grrrrr) to "we will be SB champs" (hahahahahahahaha... thanks for that one Rexy)....

Of course they need to do something at WR. Of course what they do will impact. If they spend too much money they get too much WR and too little D. If they spend too little money they get to little WR and too much D (can you have too much D)... If they choose poorly let get poor results. If they choose wisely they get wise results.

So yes, of course they should PANIC. That is clearly the best frame of mind to make any decision. The voters on both sides of the isle prove that every day as do the politicians - who are essentially all bought and paid for by deep pockets (who dont panic but are cool and collected and undermine the very fabric of our democracy.... we have to do something.. about this.. now.. really.... I am not joking.. if we dont it will be time to panic - ironic isnt it?).  

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from prolate0spheroid. Show prolate0spheroid's posts

In response to portfolio1's comment:

Read more here: 

PANIC BUTTON? Really? I am always impressed with the way people feel a need to over state EVERYTHING. From indivudals like us to the media to companies and politicians and .... everyone. Everywhere. From "this will be the death of marriage" (give me a break) to "this will be the death of our rights" (grrrrr) to "we will be SB champs" (hahahahahahahaha... thanks for that one Rexy)....

Of course they need to do something at WR. Of course what they do will impact. If they spend too much money they get too much WR and too little D. If they spend too little money they get to little WR and too much D (can you have too much D)... If they choose poorly let get poor results. If they choose wisely they get wise results.

So yes, of course they should PANIC. That is clearly the best frame of mind to make any decision. The voters on both sides of the isle prove that every day as do the politicians - who are essentially all bought and paid for by deep pockets (who dont panic but are cool and collected and undermine the very fabric of our democracy.... we have to do something.. about this.. now.. really.... I am not joking.. if we dont it will be time to panic - ironic isnt it?).  

Best post of the day!

22. This post has been removed.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from portfolio1. Show portfolio1's posts

In response to prolate0spheroid's comment:

In response to portfolio1's comment:

Read more here: 

Best post of the day!

And I thank you!

24. This post has been removed.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from proftom2. Show proftom2's posts

WR will be a surprise. By weeks 6 someone will ermerge as TB's favorite pass catcher based on the connection between them. With Brady its more an inner thing than a numbers thing.