Time for the Pats To Get It Done

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from TexasPat3. Show TexasPat3's posts

Its' been 4 years since the Pats last won the SB. In both 2006 and 2007, there have been two near misses.

I want to hear no excuses about injuries, the secondary, or coaching upheaval. The Patriots are not that far off from winning another title. No more close calls. The Pats need to have a strong offseason like they did in 2007, and get it done in 2009.

Throughout this decade, the Pats have been about winning championships...not merely making the playoffs. I don't want that attitude to change. If the Pats fail to win it all next season, they should consider cutting their older veterans lose, and start rebuilding with younger players.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from garytx. Show garytx's posts

And who would that be? The only place to look is at the LB corp. The running and passing game have been there. Although there may be an arguement for moving Light to RT. The defensive front three are young. The DB has always been in transition. What fixes do you perceive?

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from garytx. Show garytx's posts

I do believe there do need fixes on the specail teams. They haven't been good for a couple of years now. However, I think that a coach change, not a player change.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from Wizardsjag. Show Wizardsjag's posts

Will be a interesting next 3 months for the Pats, that's for sure.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from MVPkilla. Show MVPkilla's posts

The one thing handcuffing us right now is Matt Cassel, if we tag him and dont trade him we will not be able to have the kind of off season you guys are talking about. If we tag him and dont trade him you will not see any kind of splash this offseason. We will be left with extending the players we can liek Wilfork and Mankins and hopefully Seymore as he counts as 9 mill against the capp this year and is not a young player anymore as someone above has said. Warren and Wilfork are still young players south of the 30 year mark but Seymore is going on what 31? Thats not young, dont get me wrong i think age is overrated in this sport as for years people said Roman Phiffer was "too old" but yet we kept winning but still Seymore costs a lot of money for a 31 year old DE. I really hope we get rid of Cassel, tag and trade him so he doesnt screw up the entire offseason. I would really like to see us make a push for some of these FA's and we cant do that with Cassel swinging from ours nuts.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from Wizardsjag. Show Wizardsjag's posts

I'd rather us just franchise and trade Cassel regardless of Brady's status. I've always been more for what will make us a better team for the next 5 years vs just focusing on one season. Having his salary limiting us to maybe a couple low price free agents and the draft vs, being able to compete in FA and get more picks which could result in more trades along with the picks, I'd go with the later.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from JohnHannahrulz. Show JohnHannahrulz's posts

I don't think the Pats will sign any big name free agents, therefore, most of their key acquisitions will be made via the draft. Mayo is awesome, but some of our 08 rookies still need to develop some more (Wilhite, Wheatley, Guyton, Crable). I agree that the offense is still top notch, however, the run defense was ranked what 15th and we all know that at times the Pats D was very poor in the red zone (BB has to be super-pissed about that) and on 3rd down conversions. As I have stated all along the 08, 09 and 2010 drafts will be very important for the Pats.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from garytx. Show garytx's posts

-wizard

Trading Cassel is in the future because keeping him is only getting us over the hump until Brady can start. If it is to be this year what makes you think that it would be this years picks? The trend shows that teams would rather spend next years picks.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from TexasPat3. Show TexasPat3's posts

[Quote]And who would that be? The only place to look is at the LB corp. The running and passing game have been there. Although there may be an arguement for moving Light to RT. The defensive front three are young. The DB has always been in transition. What fixes do you perceive?[/Quote]

LBs Bruschi, Vrable, Thomas, Alexander, and Izzo.

DL: Seymour...who is not all that young, has been injury prone, and has not lived up to his huge contract. Vince Wilfolk is a free agent next year. Do the Pats pay him the big bucks, or let him go? If they don't win it all next year, I'd be in favor of seeking a less expensive alternative. But, much depends on the NFL's labor situation.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from MVPkilla. Show MVPkilla's posts

Putting Thomas on your list of old Linebackers is crazy, sure he is old in other teams standards but as far as Patriots standards go he still has a year or two left before he starts to slow down. He is only 31 and he has only been a Pat for two years and if he had played a full year I think he would have been a major factor so lets not send him to his grave too soon huh? Vrable is due to have a big year this year after the slow year he just had and if he doesnt then i would say its time to let him go and Bruschi will retire after this season. Would you guys take Rodney back if he was healthy and wanted to play?

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from themightypatriots. Show themightypatriots's posts

Taz,

If you had taken two seconds to look it up you'd know Seymour is 29, not 31, genius.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from Wizardsjag. Show Wizardsjag's posts

[Quote]

-wizard

Trading Cassel is in the future because keeping him is only getting us over the hump until Brady can start. If it is to be this year what makes you think that it would be this years picks? The trend shows that teams would rather spend next years picks.

[/Quote]

Exactly picks don't need to be this year. I'd expect to see us trade some of this year's picks as well for players or like we did with SD trade a pick this year for a better pick next year.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from MVPkilla. Show MVPkilla's posts

Mighty I said outright that I was not sure of his age and if you can do math genius then you can tell that if he is 29 now then he will be 30 by the end of next season in which case he would be considered "old" by some peoples standards. But hey way to be a d*ck for no reason

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from garytx. Show garytx's posts

I'm surprised to see Thomas in your choices. Seymour I can see because I don't see him living up to his contract either. You sign Wilfork. The 3-4 has become big in the league and would have no trouble finding a job else where.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from MVPkilla. Show MVPkilla's posts

Wilfork is by far our best D linemen and we couldnt run the 3-4 D without him. Good Nose tackles are hard to come by in this league.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from arodrambone. Show arodrambone's posts

If we hadn't lost our other 1st round pick last year, we might have won it all this year, even with Cassel.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from garytx. Show garytx's posts

- wiz

I don't see that it is this year because it's such a deep draft. Cassel I can see for future draft picks but not this year. This is a very deep year so you will not see picks traded without some sacrifice for the future of the team that deals with us. You have 5 tool players well into the first 20 picks.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from MVPkilla. Show MVPkilla's posts

I dont think having an extra 1st round pick or not has anything to do with how our team played this year. Just another excuse in a long line of excuses for how we would have won it all if we did this or that who cares! we didnt win it all, its over move on.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from Wizardsjag. Show Wizardsjag's posts

[Quote]- wiz

I don't see that it is this year because it's such a deep draft. Cassel I can see for future draft picks but not this year. This is a very deep year so you will not see picks traded without some sacrifice for the future of the team that deals with us. You have 5 tool players well into the first 20 picks.[/Quote]

Lets just put it this way. I'd rather have flexibility to resign current FA, renegoiate with future FA's, bring in a couple FA's, and draft then having close to 30 million tied to one position. That's me though, the Pats front office will proceed in the way they deem best for the team.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from garytx. Show garytx's posts

- wiz

I don't disagree with you here. The problem lies with the way the Pats orginization keeps secrets. If Tom is not ready to go they have no choice but to keep Cassel on line. Why else would they concider to keep him unless they had a buyer?

If I'm Detriot I make this deal. I trade some picks for next year, not a number 1 mind you because I think this to be way over valued. You say a number 2 and 4 and I'm on board. This could be a real coup for the Pats on building on what they already have for next year.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from TexasPat3. Show TexasPat3's posts

Gary:

The Pats will 'keep secrets" from the fans and the media, but not from themselves. They know what type of shape Brady is really in...and what his prospects are for a full recovery. So, you're right...if Cassel is not traded, but instead signed to a one year deal...you'll know the reason.

Are you really suggesting traded Cassel to Detroit for their second and fourth rounders? Why? How does that help the Patriots get that impact defender or stud OL that they need? Compared to Stafford, Sanchez, and the other college QB, Cassel is better...and those guys are projected to be high (in Stafford's case) first round picks. So...why trade Cassel for less?

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from MVPkilla. Show MVPkilla's posts

Matt Shoub was traded for two 2nd round picks and the Falcons switched 1st round picks and moved up two spots and that was for a guy who started two NFL football games. Cassel played 16 games of football this year and went 11-5 in a city were we expect to win championships so he will get twice what Matt Shoub got teh Falcons so he wont be trading for anything less then a 1st round pick.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from themightypatriots. Show themightypatriots's posts

Tex,

We don't need an "impact player" or "stud" or "prima donna" etc. The Cowboys need such players. This team just needs football players.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from MVPkilla. Show MVPkilla's posts

m

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from trollsarefools. Show trollsarefools's posts

WOW! such a profound thought mighty "we need football players" Such a succinct thought as that must have required hours of research. Here's succinct thought-we don't need limp wrist know-it-alls such as yourself telling people how smart you are....did you ever play down?