Time to get Galloway off the field?

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from zbellino. Show zbellino's posts

Re: Time to get Galloway off the field...

In Response to Re: Time to get Galloway off the field...:
    [QUOTE]We don't have anyone who can replace him. It's Galloway or no one. I don't think Belichick trusts Nunn all that well. 
    Posted by 49Patriots[/QUOTE]

That is the key. There is likely a fundamental flaw in Nunn's game right now. Like Chad Jackson, who never saw the field, it is likely that he doesn't get the route tree. Miss your routes and you won't see the firled, because that is how turnovers happen.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from sonieboy. Show sonieboy's posts

[QUOTE]We don't have anyone who can replace him. It's Galloway or no one. I don't think Belichick trusts Nunn all that well. 
    Posted by 49Patriots[/QUOTE] Trust why?? Are you serious he catches virtually everything thrown his way. He would have caught every pass thrown to J. Galloway and made Tom Brady look "well" TERRIFIC. He may not be as fast but he can catch the ball and run the routes.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from mjxg. Show mjxg's posts

several things:

1) lewis is not better than galloway because he made a random game-winning catch
    2) galloway is horrible
    3) Edelman is a slot receiver, and a good one, but he's not going to play on the outside
    4) Nunn should get promoted and work with the first string
    5) everyone needs to stop forgetting Tate. we have him, and there was a lot of talk of him being a "steal" in the draft where we got him. granted he's not available for a while, but halfway through the season we might have someone else ready to go.
    6) picking up a WR right now in the league will be tough to do. not because there aren't a lot, but there are not a lot who have worked in a system that would give them a jumpstart on our offense.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from Rodimus77. Show Rodimus77's posts

[QUOTE]I'm headed up to Canadia to get Reche Caldwell.  Who's with me?
    Posted by themightypatriotz[/QUOTE]

Forget Caldwell, lets go to Minnesota and get Greg Lewis back.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from zbellino. Show zbellino's posts

I haven't, but I try not to get overhyped about young WRs. It can be a difficult spot to transition, let alone for a guy like Tate, who has missed time.

Week six to week twelve is the span where he might return. I imagine they bring him back in to practice for about a month before they can even consider giving him serious reps.

But he can't be any worse than Galloway has been so far.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from TrueChamp. Show TrueChamp's posts

I like Matt Jones across from Moss! Could become a great possession wr for us. Galloway is only a field stretcher Pats are playing him outside of his only talent hoping he could adjust. So far he cannot.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from zkopyt. Show zkopyt's posts

bring nunn or ventrone back (if available)  Galloway almost made me blow beer out my nose at least 3 times today.  How many drops total today??  That was a blowout if they caught them all.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from Tcal2.. Show Tcal2.'s posts

I'm pretty sure if Brady wanted Nunn on the field he would be there.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from Achainsaw. Show Achainsaw's posts

In hindsight, I guess releasing Greg Lewis was probably not the right move

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from mikec645. Show mikec645's posts

I would love to seen Nunn brought up,  I thought he looked great in preseason when Galloway looked as bad as he does now.  I am excited for Tate to be ready but I thought it was very unlikely that he'd play this season?

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from Achainsaw. Show Achainsaw's posts

I think Edelman's top end speed is probably where it needs to be. That return he had in the preseason demonstrated he's got some wheels

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from HubbDave. Show HubbDave's posts

Donald Haynes ... great call on that. Perfect analog.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from Low-FB-IQ. Show Low-FB-IQ's posts

[QUOTE]I haven't, but I try not to get overhyped about young WRs. It can be a difficult spot to transition, let alone for a guy like Tate, who has missed time. Week six to week twelve is the span where he might return. I imagine they bring him back in to practice for about a month before they can even consider giving him serious reps. But he can't be any worse than Galloway has been so far.
    Posted by zbellino[/QUOTE]

They have "6" weeks to activate off the NON football injury list? Hmm interesting. I thought it was only "3" weeks like the PUP list.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from Paul_K. Show Paul_K's posts

Galloway is my stud, my prime entry, over in the "most overrated" thread.  He didn't let me down at all today.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsLifer. Show PatsLifer's posts

Perhaps we can chant at the next home game, "Let Joey go!"..."Let Joey go!"...

Anyhow, I would really like to see Nunn in the lineup...also what about Tate by week 6?....

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from Sveltics. Show Sveltics's posts

I heard Chad Jackson will be coming off the IR soon.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from Low-FB-IQ. Show Low-FB-IQ's posts

I still say Edelman will cut into Galloways snaps once Welker is healthy. I have said it since during the jets game. Edleman is making some mistakes but for a rookie who never even played the position before, come on, he's doing very well.

Edelman looks to be a bit bigger than Welker and faster. Probably close to being as quick as welker. In actuality I have no idea on any of this, simply eye-balling it.

Stop with the whole Lewis thing already. He had one catch today. It was one of those great plays but please, stop.

Z as far as your concern about Edelmans speed, I am sure he's fast enough. As far as his height he is tall enough. He's 6'. David Givens was only 6". Deion Branch was only 5'9". I don't ever remember anyone calling givens a burner. Even Deion wasn't a "fast" guy, he was a super quick guy. Didn't we use to call that receiving core the mighty midgets or something? They were productive though.

We brought Stallworth in (2007) and every one was excited about him but Gaffney took his job part way through that season because he got the system better. That's what matters here and Edelman as a rookie QB to WR convert seems to be getting it quicker or as well as a 15 year vet. That's what I call at least promising.

To be honest I was always surprised they never even gave Caldwell another real shot going into 2007. Sure we all wanted to reach into the TV and strangle him after those huge drops in the playoff game but he caught over 60 passes that year(2006). More than 60! You know who never did? Gaffney never even caught 40 once. Givens never caught 60 in a season. Branch only caught more than 60 once in his career. Patten only caught more than 60 once.

WR's in this system either get it or they do not as we've all historically seen. What WR's do in other systems compared to here do not necessarily equate to each other.

I think in general that Aiken has come through most times when given an opportunity. Yeah today he stopped his post and that sucked but i would not mind seeing him get some chances.

In the end though, we do not see these guys day in and day out at practice like Tom and the Coach's do. They must see more issues with Nunn, Aiken, Edelman, whoever than they do with Galloway at this point in the season.

Even when we do see the WR's play on Sunday we don't "really" see them. The camera is on the QB and changes after the pass is released. I couldn't tell you whose getting separation on any given play unless the play went to that receiver or they show a certain angle of the field in replay. On top of that I would not know what any particular WR's responsibilities (route adjustment wise) are on a given play. Do you?

Bottom line for me though... Brady's been off for three weeks straight. I stopped charting it at halftime but until that point the receivers had 4 drops and 1 incomplete route but Brady had 6 errant passes to "very open" receivers.

If both QB And WR's pick up their games even a lil bit more they'll really start rolling. I guess that's obvious and goes without saying, oh well. :)

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from themightypatriotz. Show themightypatriotz's posts

The scary thing is that Galloway must be outperforming everyone else at practice, otherwise BB wouldn't have him out there.

Seems to me Edelman's skillset (run around in the middle away from the coverage) doesn't necessarily translate to split end. 

We let Reche go in 2007 because he had a bigger cap hit than Gaffney.  I only remember one bad drop by Reche (you know the one).  Against the Chargers he caught that beautiful 49 yard bomb and a TD.  So seriously, why doesn't that wide receivers coach/personnel guy Caserio or whoever get his but up to Canada and bring back Reche?

Next week Galloway will probably catch a 70 yard bomb for a TD and everyone will be singing his praise.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from TrueChamp. Show TrueChamp's posts

[QUOTE]The scary thing is that Galloway must be outperforming everyone else at practice, otherwise BB wouldn't have him out there. Seems to me Edelman's skillset (run around in the middle away from the coverage) doesn't necessarily translate to split end.  We let Reche go in 2007 because he had a bigger cap hit than Gaffney.  I only remember one bad drop by Reche (you know the one).  Against the Chargers he caught that beautiful 49 yard bomb and a TD.  So seriously, why doesn't that wide receivers coach/personnel guy Caserio or whoever get his but up to Canada and bring back Reche? Next week Galloway will probably catch a 70 yard bomb for a TD and everyone will be singing his praise.
    Posted by themightypatriotz[/QUOTE]

Galloway is asked to do too much with Welker being out. He has never been a possession wr. We brought him in to stretch the defense and open up things underneath for Watson/Baker/Welker/Edelman/Faulk etc. Without Welker on the field we are seeing galloway struggle at 37 years of age to try and be an every down wr. Too much. We will see him have an impact when Welker is on the field.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from themightypatriotz. Show themightypatriotz's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Time to get Galloway off the field... : Galloway is asked to do too much with Welker being out. He has never been a possession wr. We brought him in to stretch the defense and open up things underneath for Watson/Baker/Welker/Edelman/Faulk etc. Without Welker on the field we are seeing galloway struggle at 37 years of age to try and be an every down wr. Too much. We will see him have an impact when Welker is on the field.
    Posted by TrueChamp[/QUOTE]

I agree that Galloway could do well as a sub, but I don't think we have anyone else who can play split end every down.  Jules and Welker are slot guys, and Aiken I've never seen.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from zbellino. Show zbellino's posts

Re: Time to get Galloway off the field?

Galloway isn't even a real split end. He has always been a flanker. He has downfield speed and good leaping ability.

He always had the knock of rounding off his routes, which is a knock on a lot of flanker types.

Everything I have seen from Edelman says "Z" all the way too.

Gaff fit real well because he was a decent split end. I think if they thought Edelman could handle the outside, especially that spot, he might have already gotten reps there. But I wouldn't mind seeing it if Galloway doesn't improve his performance soon.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from wozzy. Show wozzy's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Time to get Galloway off the field... : Galloway is asked to do too much with Welker being out. He has never been a possession wr. We brought him in to stretch the defense and open up things underneath for Watson/Baker/Welker/Edelman/Faulk etc. Without Welker on the field we are seeing galloway struggle at 37 years of age to try and be an every down wr. Too much. We will see him have an impact when Welker is on the field.
    Posted by TrueChamp[/QUOTE]

Wow Galloway is really getting thrown under the bus with this thread.  This post takes a more calm, collected look at whats going on.

With Welker out and rookie Edelman learning as well, Joey is being asked to play outside his skill set.  I'm not saying he has played well but when Brady blew up on the sideline he wasn't just mad at Galloway.  Moss dropped a couple, Watson dropped what would have been a first down on the one yard line and an easy touchdown and I'm sure Tom was frustrated at himself for over or under throwing his guys pretty much all day.

I will say this about Galloway, Moss and Aiken; on just about every long bomb downfield they don't seem to be fighting for the ball.  Sometimes Tommy just throws it up and they ALL have to do a better job taking the ball out of the air.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from mikec645. Show mikec645's posts

I'll say this though, as much as I like Nunn, if Tate lives up to his hype next year Nunn may be stuck on the practice squad again or shipped somewhere else.  This could be scary Tate and Moss on the outside with Welker and Edelman in the slots.  Aiken would still be the 5th WR because of his special teams value.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from patpscyho. Show patpscyho's posts

People have to understand that WR is one of the most difficult position to transition to, in the NFL. RB is the easiest. You really cannot throw in Nunn or Tate or you will just get more of the same thing. Today Aiken went in as #3 and missed on a route read (he stalled for half a second on an in slant) and he's been with the team for a long time. It's just not that easy.

Galloway isn't bad. He is just not fitting in well. He's good with straight speed but bad going in and out of his breaks. Branch was the best at this which is why Brady loved him. The offense under Brady depends on split-second timing so you traditionally want a WR who can make his breaks clean and crisp.

Next week we'll see Edelman working the flat with Welker (if Welker is good to go) on sight adjust to beat the Ravens blitz or rush and force CB isolations (you saw how badly they did against the Chargers). But after that, that's it for Edelman. We're not going to crowd the slot. We need the #2 WR to stretch the field to take away the high safety teams love to roll on Moss.

As Lewis has shown us, a player that stinks in a system can flourish in another. This is pretty common around the NFL, so it shouldn't be a knock on BB in letting Lewis go. 

However I do think the clock is running out on Galloway. When the QB loses confidence in you as a WR, that is the death knoll. 

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from randystabile. Show randystabile's posts

Galloway does not seem comfortable and he si not producing - YET. If the Pats think he can't do - they will release him.  No worries the pats know what they are doing.