Time to Modify Bend But Don't Break?

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from Footballexpert45. Show Footballexpert45's posts

Re: Time to Modify Bend But Don't Break?

Seattle proved it is more about talent than scheme.  The Seahawks were just quicker and hard hitting, no complicated scheming, just good old fashioned hard hitting and pressure.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from Not-A-Shot. Show Not-A-Shot's posts

Bend But Don't Break = AVERAGE

Yeah, modify it.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from prolate0spheroid. Show prolate0spheroid's posts

In response to Footballexpert45's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Seattle proved it is more about talent than scheme.  The Seahawks were just quicker and hard hitting, no complicated scheming, just good old fashioned hard hitting and pressure.

[/QUOTE]

I think that's more or less right.  I'd have to go back and re-watch, but I don't remember a heck of a lot of blitzing.  I just think Seattle has better athletes.  The scheme question is interesting, but I haven't really compared the Pats' scheme with Seattle's carefully, so I'm not sure how radically different they are. 

Belichick does have a reputation for being more conservative on defense, protecting against the big play rather than trying to attack aggressively.  And he's really big on "team" defense, while Carroll seems to encourage and even celebrate "individual" accomplishment.  Belichick is all about control, while Carroll is all about freeing guys to be themselves.  There's definitely a big difference in style between a Belichick and a Carroll or even a Ryan brother. The latter guys want players with swagger who talk a lot and are hyper confident in their individual ability.  Belichick wants quieter guys who put team first.  I'm not sure either approach is better or worse.  However, I do think to be effective with an aggressive defense you need great athletes who are also smart and disciplined enough not to blow the scheme.  Belichick has plenty of smart and disciplined guys, but does he have enough great athletes?

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsLifer. Show PatsLifer's posts

I do think a lot of it has to do with mentality. I always preferred a defense that takes it to an opponent vs one that sits back and waits for an opportunity. If you look at the 07 giants and now 13 Seahawks, those are great examples of defenses that not only shut down the #1 and #2 scoring offenses of all time, but dictated the game and went after the offense. They played their style, were more athletic and physical than the opposing offense. Both teams also had freakish personnel to pull it off...the gints on the line and seattles secocdary is full of freakish athletes. Those players make the difference. devise the scheme nd turn them loose.

i don't know how close our defense is to being championship caliber. It's tough to understand when you consider all our injuries This year and not seeing them all play together. However, if you just look at individual players and comparing their athletic ability to seattles, its night and day. Collins is the only player, maybe mayo that has over the top athletic ability to play with speed and physicality. I don't see any of that speed along the line, and not any per se in our secondary maybe less Talib..when healthy. 

Not calling our bb on this, but most of the Seattle players were there for the taking in the last 4-5 draFts. Their secondary was built over the past 3, and Schneider/caroll scored on every one of those hits...Thurman, Sherman, chancellor, Thomas, etc. 

as great of a coach and GM bb is, surely something is to be gained by watching what Seattle has put together? 

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from garytx. Show garytx's posts

I think you miss the purpose of the bend but don't break.  It works.

The defense the Pats started with this year wasn't a bend but don't break defense.  It turned into that when they started losing players.  The talent wasn't there.  The bend but don't break defense is good enough to hide the short comings of the players on the field.  It's a good defense when the talent isn't there.  

The way to get rid of the bend but don't break is talent.  Very good depth.  But in this day and age you'll never see it.  Most teams go down with the ship.  BB tries to keep things together to get into the playoffs where anything can happen.  

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from 49Patriots. Show 49Patriots's posts

We only play bend but don't break when Talib is out, this thread is nonsensical.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsLifer. Show PatsLifer's posts

In response to garytx's comment:
    [QUOTE]

I think you miss the purpose of the bend but don't break.  It works.

The defense the Pats started with this year wasn't a bend but don't break defense.  It turned into that when they started losing players.  The talent wasn't there.  The bend but don't break defense is good enough to hide the short comings of the players on the field.  It's a good defense when the talent isn't there.  

The way to get rid of the bend but don't break is talent.  Very good depth.  But in this day and age you'll never see it.  Most teams go down with the ship.  BB tries to keep things together to get into the playoffs where anything can happen.  

[/QUOTE]

Assuming the players were all healthy, did they have the players to serve it up to Denver the way Seattle did? 

When I look at seattles defense, I see size, speed and power. They attack and do so constantly. Relentless is a better way to describe them. 

PI just don't see that in the pats d..healthy or not.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from rkarp. Show rkarp's posts

Disagree. This D is and always has beeN Bend but dont break. It is based on waiting for the other teams mistake rather than creating mistakes. 

Edge players first responsability is to setting edge against run.

DTs first is to maintain both gaps and keep blocker engaged for the LB to tackle

FS is keeping play in front if him, never gamble. 

CB's jam at LOS, never blitz

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from fishers5. Show fishers5's posts

In response to rkarp's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Disagree. This D is and always has beeN Bend but dont break. It is based on waiting for the other teams mistake rather than creating mistakes. 

DTs first is to maintain both gaps and keep blocker engaged for the LB to tackle

[/QUOTE]

which would be more fun for the players (and to watch) sitting back and reacting to each play or attacking and having offense react .. All comes down to coaching and setting the tone by BB and that chump Patricia...  But is sure was fum watching and just hoping that maybe someday we the fans can enjoy such a defense..  I think pats have most of what it takes with a couple of areas needed to improve ... Replace nink with speed .. Aggressive DT's bigger safety...and VW to lose Apprx 30 Lbs

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsEng. Show PatsEng's posts

In response to 49Patriots' comment:
    [QUOTE]

We only play bend but don't break when Talib is out, this thread is nonsensical.

[/QUOTE]

We played it in the entire second half of the season, where were you?

Bend but don't break doesn't work in this new NFL world. All it takes is one downfield penalty (much easier to come by now) and your done. It also doesn't create nearly the same amount of turnovers it use to because QB's have generally gotten better. Even the worst QB's in the league are better then half the QB's 15yrs ago at not turning it over. You need an attacking D to force turnovers. Turnovers are the life blood of the new D in the NFL, look at Sea last night then look at the Pats 2 weeks ago to see the difference. What you need on D now a days is the ability to generate pressure with a 4 man rush, create sacks and fumbles with a 5 man rush, and a secondary that can hold for 4secs and is always looking for the duck when the 4 man rush gets to the QB. If you can get pressure with a 4 man rush leave 2 in the box and drop 5 back then you have a better shot to win then rushing 6 giving the QB 4s and hoping 5 players can cover ever zone on the field. 

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from TripleOG. Show TripleOG's posts

All I know Is I put SS as the top priority 2 years ago and most guys here said No, the league is past that, you cant have a head hunter anymore. Thats an old school player, blah, blah, blah but what happened??  BB DID priotize a SS, but he got an old ,slow one instead of drafting one in Adrian Wilson. Kam Chancellor sure looked effective. Should have been MVP IMO. Thats far from being phased out. Every body has their visions but we dont even have an identity. It switches year to year, week to week and thats hard to do with guys coming in and out.

Seattle had pass rushers LAST year but they didnt rest on their laurels. They went and got 2 MORE guys in Avril and Bennet both of whom were CHEAP and made sure they wouldnt be without any rushers. Earl Thomas and Kam Chancellor are the closest thing to being the prototype FS and SS for a great D. Carrol and Sneider are on the same page and get what they want. Big, Fast CBs. Thats how you know Carrol is involved. He had Tebucky playing CB. He likes them big. He knows how to coach em up. Its refreshing to watch. Ive made note of it 2 years ago that they came together in 2 years. Here we have two converted CBs playing safety who cant intimidate or change the game unless they are getting pics. You can put Talib in or out but we still got a small secondary that doesnt scare anyone. When talib came back from injury earlier, our D was STILL bend but dont break, sorry.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from rkarp. Show rkarp's posts

In response to fishers5's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

which would be more fun for the players (and to watch) sitting back and reacting to each play or attacking and having offense react .. All comes down to coaching and setting the tone by BB and that chump Patricia...  But is sure was fum watching and just hoping that maybe someday we the fans can enjoy such a defense..  I think pats have most of what it takes with a couple of areas needed to improve ... Replace nink with speed .. Aggressive DT's bigger safety...and VW to lose Apprx 30 Lbs

[/QUOTE]

If u want that type of D go hire one of the Ryan twins to coach the D. 

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from prolate0spheroid. Show prolate0spheroid's posts

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

I think this is right, rkarp, but I don't like the term "bend but don't break" because I don't think any defense can be designed to "bend" much and still expect to win.  Yards given up correlate fairly well with points given up, and allowing opposing offenses to eat clock, accumulate yards, and get into FG range isn't a good thing.  First, FGs are still points and if you let teams get near the endzone a lot you will give up TDs even with a good redzone defense (assuming your defense really is any better in the redzone than it is outside--something I'm skeptical is all that common or likely). Second, giving up yards creates field position disadvantages for your own offense, and giving up time to the other team's offense may mean fewer drives and scoring opportunities for your own offense.  So "bending" isn't harmless. 

I think BB does have more of a conservative, read and react style like you describe.  But it still is designed to make stops and needs to make stops.  Letting teams mount 6 minute, 12 play, 70 yard drives just isn't good defense any way you look at it. Let's not pretend that's the plan by calling it "bend but don't break" as if "bending," were a good thing and part of the strategy.  

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from patsbandwagonsince76. Show patsbandwagonsince76's posts

Don't bend and don't break

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from rkarp. Show rkarp's posts

In response to prolate0spheroid's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

I think this is right, rkarp, but I don't like the term "bend but don't break" because I don't think any defense can be designed to "bend" much and still expect to win.  Yards given up correlate fairly well with points given up, and allowing opposing offenses to eat clock, accumulate yards, and get into FG range isn't a good thing.  First, FGs are still points and if you let teams get near the endzone a lot you will give up TDs even with a good redzone defense (assuming your defense really is any better in the redzone than it is outside--something I'm skeptical is all that common or likely). Second, giving up yards creates field position disadvantages for your own offense, and giving up time to the other team's offense may mean fewer drives and scoring opportunities for your own offense.  So "bending" isn't harmless. 

I think BB does have more of a conservative, read and react style like you describe.  But it still is designed to make stops and needs to make stops.  Letting teams mount 6 minute, 12 play, 70 yard drives just isn't good defense any way you look at it. Let's not pretend that's the plan by calling it "bend but don't break" as if "bending," were a good thing and part of the strategy.  

[/QUOTE]

Bend but dont break means dont allow points, dont gamble, wait for your opportunity for turnover due to the opponants mistake. It has nothing to do with wlingly giving up yardage

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsEng. Show PatsEng's posts

In response to TripleOG's comment:
    [QUOTE]

All I know Is I put SS as the top priority 2 years ago and most guys here said No, the league is past that, you cant have a head hunter anymore. Thats an old school player, blah, blah, blah but what happened??  BB DID priotize a SS, but he got an old ,slow one instead of drafting one in Adrian Wilson. Kam Chancellor sure looked effective. Should have been MVP IMO. Thats far from being phased out. Every body has their visions but we dont even have an identity. It switches year to year, week to week and thats hard to do with guys coming in and out.

Seattle had pass rushers LAST year but they didnt rest on their laurels. They went and got 2 MORE guys in Avril and Bennet both of whom were CHEAP and made sure they wouldnt be without any rushers. Earl Thomas and Kam Chancellor are the closest thing to being the prototype FS and SS for a great D. Carrol and Sneider are on the same page and get what they want. Big, Fast CBs. Thats how you know Carrol is involved. He had Tebucky playing CB. He likes them big. He knows how to coach em up. Its refreshing to watch. Ive made note of it 2 years ago that they came together in 2 years. Here we have two converted CBs playing safety who cant intimidate or change the game unless they are getting pics. You can put Talib in or out but we still got a small secondary that doesnt scare anyone. When talib came back from injury earlier, our D was STILL bend but dont break, sorry.

[/QUOTE]

I still agree you can't have head hunters. But, a head hunter and a hard hitting SS are two different things. You can be a hard hitting SS that puts fear into receivers coming across the middle without being a head hunter.

I thought SS should have been a priority too (Still upset they didn't get Goldson when they had the chance 2 years ago) but my bigger priority was a DT. And wouldn't you know it 2 years in a row were deep and heavily talented DT drafts and BB opts to take none. Still think that was the wrong move, heck go back the last 3 years I've been calling to draft a DT and my favorite DT's in the last 3 years have all been anchors for their respective lines and all were taken between picks 25-50 all within range of BB picks 

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsEng. Show PatsEng's posts

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

Bend but dont break means dont allow points, dont gamble, wait for your opportunity for turnover due to the opponants mistake. It has nothing to do with wlingly giving up yardage

[/QUOTE]

It's that part that no longer works in the NFL these days. You can't wait for something to happen you have to make it happen. It's funny because that's the mentality with the offseason too. They cast a wide net over a bunch of players and wait to see if any develop into servicable parts for the year instead of making it happen and taking a dive at a top flight talent. Sure you might miss and give the opponent a big gain but you know what it's better then stadning back and hoping the ball bounches your way

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from 49Patriots. Show 49Patriots's posts

In response to PatsEng's comment:
    [QUOTE]

In response to 49Patriots' comment:
    [QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

We played it in the entire second half of the season, where were you?

Bend but don't break doesn't work in this new NFL world. All it takes is one downfield penalty (much easier to come by now) and your done. It also doesn't create nearly the same amount of turnovers it use to because QB's have generally gotten better. Even the worst QB's in the league are better then half the QB's 15yrs ago at not turning it over. You need an attacking D to force turnovers. Turnovers are the life blood of the new D in the NFL, look at Sea last night then look at the Pats 2 weeks ago to see the difference. What you need on D now a days is the ability to generate pressure with a 4 man rush, create sacks and fumbles with a 5 man rush, and a secondary that can hold for 4secs and is always looking for the duck when the 4 man rush gets to the QB. If you can get pressure with a 4 man rush leave 2 in the box and drop 5 back then you have a better shot to win then rushing 6 giving the QB 4s and hoping 5 players can cover ever zone on the field. 

[/QUOTE]

No idea what you mean, we play press man-to-man as often as possible when Talib is healthy.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from prolate0spheroid. Show prolate0spheroid's posts

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

I think a lot of people think the term means it's okay to give up yards.  I also have heard people say the goal is to give the opposing offense more plays in the hopes of getting a turnover.  That's absurd.  Turnovers are good, but too rare to depend on.  If you're giving the other team more chances in the hopes of getting a pick or fumble, you're going to be giving up more points, killing your field position, and losing TOP.  

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from BabeParilli. Show BabeParilli's posts

BBDB is a recipe for keeping your offense off the field and tiring your D. An aggressive and punishing D is what is desired.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from Sam-Adams. Show Sam-Adams's posts

IMO this thread is ridiculous bordering on treason. Pete sold the farm to put this team together, his drafts for the next couple years are terrible. He also has a team full of guys looking for more money and now the real test starts with Seattle......how do you stay on top and keep your key guys paid. You think Wilson's good with the rookie contract amount he's playing with now? How bout the legion of boom, ya think they'll be Ok just re-signing for last years contract amounts?

BB has his faults but don't sit here now and throw out this crap about how he's not in touch just because Petey had a good year. Let me ask you something PV, how would the Pats have looked this year if they still had Hernandez, if Wilfork, Mayo, Kelly and Gronk (for the most part) didn't miss the season. If Vareen and Talib didn't miss half the year? They would have been in NY last night and I'm not really sure what that outcome would have been but it would have been a lot better than what we watched I'll tell you that.

And........BB has the 2nd youngest team in the NFL set up perfectly to keep this 13 year run of excellance rolling on to next year. It's disrespectful treason to say he's out of touch because of what Pete put together in Seattle for one season. It's also jealous and exactly why other parts of the country hate Pats fans.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from rkarp. Show rkarp's posts

TOP is an over rated stat

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from agent617. Show agent617's posts

After watching Seattle,  one of the things I noticed is their defense is simple, they don't have to change much. Which means younger players can contribute faster.  The patriots defense is too complicated,  young players take a long time to contribute. 

In the draft we need to focus on the defense. A big dt to put next to wilfork. A pass rushes and a hard hitting fast safety, Gregory is trash and can't tackle. 

We have seen that even the best qbs make mistakes when pressure is applied.

We need to defense to compete with Seattle and San Fran.

BB needs to send the money one a few impact players instead of spreading it around to a dozen bums.

The offense is fine,  the real problem is the defense

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsEng. Show PatsEng's posts

In response to Sam-Adams' comment:
    [QUOTE]

IMO this thread is ridiculous bordering on treason. Pete sold the farm to put this team together, his drafts for the next couple years are terrible. He also has a team full of guys looking for more money and now the real test starts with Seattle......how do you stay on top and keep your key guys paid. You think Wilson's good with the rookie contract amount he's playing with now? How bout the legion of boom, ya think they'll be Ok just re-signing for last years contract amounts?

BB has his faults but don't sit here now and throw out this crap about how he's not in touch just because Petey had a good year. Let me ask you something PV, how would the Pats have looked this year if they still had Hernandez, if Wilfork, Mayo, Kelly and Gronk (for the most part) didn't miss the season. If Vareen and Talib didn't miss half the year? They would have been in NY last night and I'm not really sure what that outcome would have been but it would have been a lot better than what we watched I'll tell you that.

And........BB has the 2nd youngest team in the NFL set up perfectly to keep this 13 year run of excellance rolling on to next year. It's disrespectful treason to say he's out of touch because of what Pete put together in Seattle for one season. It's also jealous and exactly why other parts of the country hate Pats fans.

[/QUOTE]

The irony of someone with a screen name Sam-Adams with a pic of Sam Adams the revolutionary saying anything is treason..... Really did Pete sell the farm? Look at what he actually spent and the draft picks used. It would take 2-3 years to recover at most and from it he got a very young elite D. how is that selling the farm? 2-3 years from now he can do it again and pick and chose which players he wants to keep from that lot. Not to mention in 15' the cap space goes from the 120's to the 140's that's and extra 20mil to use. It affords him the ability to keep and maintain those players down the road.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from Muzwell. Show Muzwell's posts

[QUOTE]

TOP is an over rated stat

[/QUOTE]

I agree, generally speaking. But against a Denver type offense, it's helpful to control the ball. 

As for the BBDB thing, as others have said, it's about forcing the other team into mistakes and not worrying so much about giving up yards. And it works just fine when you have the personnel to contain the run, first, and take the ball away, capitalize on mistakes. 

This year, when the injuries happened, VW, Kelly and Wilfork especially, they couldn't stop anybody from running the ball. It wasn't like all of a sudden they could dial up the pass rush, because that's been average, so they were sort of sitting ducks against a good offense. Siliga helped for a while but he got wore out.