Titans @ Patriots REPORT CARD:

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from TexasPat3. Show TexasPat3's posts

Titans @ Patriots REPORT CARD:

Pity Keith Bulluck. After having played on a series of mediocre teams, the old warhorse LB from Syracuse finally was on a contender in 2008. But, despite his team having secured home field advantage throughout the playoffs, his Titans could not dispose of a good "D", very mediocre "O" team, led by a rookie quarterback.

And now...after some key free agent defections, and some tough breaks, he finds himself laboring for an 0-6 team. Bulluck deserves better, particularly since he was one of the few Titans' players who showed up to face the Pats in the wind, cold and snow in Foxboro...as he watched his team get Hugh-Milliated, in true Hugh Millen fashion, 59-0.

Not to take anything away from the ole towne team, but the NFL should conduct a full scale investigation into this game. All Titan players, save Bulluck and RB Chris Johnson, should be docked this weeks' paycheck. Here are my grades: 

A.) OFFENSE: Lets credit the Patriots for being very good. But, less also discredit the Titans for being a bad team...and playing even worse than that. I've seen high school teams play better pass defense. A combination of dropped passes, five turnovers, and dumb penalties rarely presents much of a challenge to a good football team. And...in this case, it didn't...as the Pats set a multitude of offense records, in their 59-0 demolition of the Tennessee Titans.

1.) QB: Tom Brady played like a postman...neither wind, nor snow, nor sleet, nor lack of a quality 3rd WR, prevented him from tearing up the worst secondary in the league. Brady was 29/34, for 380 yards and 6 TD, including an NFL record 5 in one quarter. Brady showed no signs of not stepping into his throws, or "babying" his knee. On several occasions, he looked like the Tom Terrific of old, as he moved beautifully in and out of the pass pocket to create more throwing time for himself. For the Brady haters out there, lets' be knit-picky...there was that silly delay of game call on the Pats initial drive, which probably cost the Pats a TD. Anybody still think that the Patriots should trade Tom?
    GRADE: A+;

2.) RBs:
    The many Maroney bashers were silenced for a least a week by Laurence's best game of the season. Maroney ran like a snow plow...dead ahead with no hesitation...and ripped off 123 yards in just 16 carries...including an electrifying 45 yard bolt, for the Pats' first TD. BJGE added some determined, straight ahead runs...and Kevin Faulk contributed with a couple of catches, including a 38 yard TD run on a screen pass. The RBs gained 193 yards for the day, to compliment the seemingly millions of yards gained passing. 

3.) OL: After a bit of a slow start, the big uglies dominated the line of scrimmage throughout the game. They finally provided some room for the RBs, and gave Tom Brady ample time to throw. 
    GRADE: A;

4.) WRs & TEs: The TEs blocked well, but were not a factor in the passing game. But, they didn't have to be. The WRs were so wide open throughout the game that even ex-Pats QB Hugh Millen would have somehow managed a 200 yard day. Randy Moss (8 catches for 129 yards, 3 TDs) and Wes Welker (10 catches for 150 yards, 2 TDs) were uncoverable...assuming that the Titans were even trying to cover them. Each had over 100 yards receiving. Even 3rd WR Sam Aiken had his moments.

B.) DEFENSE: Pretty much a rocking chair day for the "D". Other than a few problems defensing Chris Johnson on running plays...the Titans' passing game was worse than non-existent...as Tennessee finish with minus seven (-7) yards passing. It was the worst aerial show since the Three Stooges take-off of the Wright Brothers in their classic short, Dizzy Pilots. Like the Arizona Cardinals last season, the Titans did not appear to want to be outside playing in the snow. Nonetheless, the "D" must be credited for pitching a shutout 

1.) DL: The Titans were able to rush for 193 yards, led by the aforementioned Johnson, who had a 100 yard game. Nonetheless, many of these yards came when the Pats were well out in front...other than one nifty Johnson run for 48 yards. Put enough pressure on Kerry Collins to bother him somewhat...although I think that Collins was more bothered that his receivers were continually dropping his passes:
    GRADE: B+;

2.) LBs: This group was active, and assisted well in pass coverage. Hard to really grade their efforts, though. The Titans were that pathetic. Nice game from Jerod Mayo:
    GRADE: A-;

3.) SECONDARY: Some hard hitting caused some of the dropped passes mentioned above. Nice job by Darius Butler and company in taking away the short passes that plagued the Patriots in the Denver debacle. The Brandons, McGowan and Meriweather, continue to make their presence felt...as did rookie Patrick Chung:
    GRADE: A;  

C.) SPECIAL TEAMS: A bad snap appeared to lead to a Gostkowski miss of a very makable FG, early. Other than that, there were some good returns on kicks from Julian Eddleman. Punter Chris Hanson appeared to do a nice job handling somewhat faulty snaps...but otherwise pretty much had the day off.
    GRADE: B;           

D.) COACHING: After that awful defeat in Denver, BB obviously said all the right things...and got his guys ready to eat glass. The Pats exploited the Titans' achilles heel all day...their secondary. Nice flea-flicker call worked for an easy TD to Randy Moss. Good to see the screen pass incorporated in the Pats offense. On defense, decision to start the younger CBs and cover the Titan receivers tighter paid huge dividends. The Pats CBs could not continue to give the huge amount of cushion that they gave to the Denver receivers. 

E.) PLAY OF THE GAME: 
    The Maroney 45 yard run for the Pats first TD;

F.) GAME BALL: Tom Brady...who I think heard the critics saying that his knee injury has created a negative psychological effect...hurting his play. He was the Tom Terrific of old today.

Here are the game stats: http://espn.go.com/nfl/boxscore?gameId=291018017.

Thoughts?   

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from agcsbill. Show agcsbill's posts

Re: Titans @ Patriots REPORT CARD:

Tex...  we know there will be the inevitable "they were playing the woeful Titans" excuses, but, when a VERY good team plays a bad team, wouldn't you expect such a rout?  If the Pats went the other direction, continued struggles on offense, Brady not connecting and a sputtering running game, even if they win, we'd be all over them. 

Today, Brady was on target in conditions many people say give QBs fits with snow, cold and slippery conditions.  Both teams had to play in this slop.  Granted it is one game, but, one heck of a game to put it all together.  We know Brady is back and Maroney can run the ball.  The Titans may be 0-6, but only the Pats have been able to put a 59 - 0 wuppin on them this year in the snow!

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsRfineIn09. Show PatsRfineIn09's posts

This was a 60 minute total team effort, yes the Titans are bad, hence the final score. The only negative was the Morris knee injury.

I agree, LM's 45 yard run was play of the game and Brady's 5 TD 2nd quarter AGAINST THE WIND just adds to his legend.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from K-max. Show K-max's posts

This is probable the easiest Report Card you will ever have to write Tex.  A's across the board.  I also feel for Bulluck he's from the town next to me.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from agcsbill. Show agcsbill's posts

K-Max... Clockwork Orange fan?

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from K-max. Show K-max's posts

In Response to Re: Titans @ Patriots REPORT CARD::
    [QUOTE]K-Max... Clockwork Orange fan?
    Posted by agcsbill[/QUOTE]

Yes me brother.  One of my top 10

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from agcsbill. Show agcsbill's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Titans @ Patriots REPORT CARD: : Yes me brother.  One of my top 10
    Posted by K-max[/QUOTE]

Has anyone else recognized that picture?  It is a classic movie about nasty youth!

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from chrisakawoody. Show chrisakawoody's posts

I give myself the following report card:

Predicting score = F (Ithink I predicted an "ugly game" with the Pats winning 17-10.
    Predicting receivers' success = F (thought the slop would hinder them).
    Predicting Brady's success = D ( I had him winning, at least).
    Predicting RBs' success = F ( I had them struggling in the slop, "not as good w/o Taylor).
    Overall predcition of game = F

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from TexasPat3. Show TexasPat3's posts

[QUOTE]Tex...  we know there will be the inevitable "they were playing the woeful Titans" excuses, but, when a VERY good team plays a bad team, wouldn't you expect such a rout?

RESPONSE: No!! Not 59-0!!! While its was good to see Tom play so well, don't get too excited about this win. The Titans are 0-6 for a reason. If the Pats beat the Jets in Foxboro, and then go to Indy and upset the Colts...I'll be impressed. The Pats must prove that they're capable of beating top competition on the road.

If the Pats went the other direction, continued struggles on offense, Brady not connecting and a sputtering running game, even if they win, we'd be all over them.  Today, Brady was on target in conditions many people say give QBs fits with snow, cold and slippery conditions.  Both teams had to play in this slop.

RESPONSE: Yes...but only one team...the Patriots...showed up. Remember the huge win over the Cardinals in the snow last year?

Granted it is one game, but, one heck of a game to put it all together.  We know Brady is back and Maroney can run the ball.  The Titans may be 0-6, but only the Pats have been able to put a 59 - 0 wuppin on them this year in the snow!

RESPONSE: No question, it was good to see the Pats come out and play this well after the Denver debacle. But, last year and, thus far, this year, the Pats have struggled against top competition...particularly on the road.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from DBAZ22. Show DBAZ22's posts

Could not agree with you more on your card Tex, it was total domination from the get go.  I thought the Maroney run was huge, but in my sometimes not so humble opinion my play of the game was the flea-flicker TD to Moss.  It was the first BIG pass play these two connected on and that just ignited this team, and that is when the Titans went into shutdown mode.  Call that splitting hairs on my part, but this was a clinic.  Do I think this team is suddenly going into 2007 mode, no...but this is a very dangerous team when they are clicking.  Next week is huge - heading into the bye week at 5-2 would be big.  Two interesting side notes on this one:  AD inactive and the play of Volmer.  Was at the game and that guy is a beast, and he was absolutely crushing his opponent on every play.  Very early in his career, but could spell RT for Light moving forward. 

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatssoxVA. Show PatssoxVA's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Titans @ Patriots REPORT CARD: : Has anyone else recognized that picture?  It is a classic movie about nasty youth!

I'm singing in the rain! To this day my wife freaks when she hears this song.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from Calmy. Show Calmy's posts

The Grade is Pass/Fail for that game.  A home game against an 0-5 team, you better win easy.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from TexasPat3. Show TexasPat3's posts

[QUOTE]Could not agree with you more on your card Tex, it was total domination from the get go.  I thought the Maroney run was huge, but in my sometimes not so humble opinion my play of the game was the flea-flicker TD to Moss.  It was the first BIG pass play these two connected on and that just ignited this team, and that is when the Titans went into shutdown mode.  Call that splitting hairs on my part, but this was a clinic.  Do I think this team is suddenly going into 2007 mode, no...but this is a very dangerous team when they are clicking.  Next week is huge - heading into the bye week at 5-2 would be big.

RESPONSE: Try to put this blowout in perspective. The Titans are a bad team...made worse today because, almost to a man, they failed to show up. It appears that longtime coach Jeff Fisher has, or is in the process of "losing" his team: http://www.tennessean.com/article/20091018/COLUMNIST0202
    /91018014/2072/

Two interesting side notes on this one:  AD inactive and the play of Volmer.  Was at the game and that guy is a beast, and he was absolutely crushing his opponent on every play.  Very early in his career, but could spell RT for Light moving forward. 

RESPONSE: Size-wise, Sea Bass is a beast. But, we need to see a little more from him before we annoit him the second coming at LT. But...he's certainly an intriguing prospect.

Posted by DBAZ22[/QUOTE]

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from TexasPat3. Show TexasPat3's posts

Heres' a report card on the Titans' "performance", from "The Tennessian" newspaper: http://www.tennessean.com/article/20091018/SPORTS01/91018016/1027/Titans+get+no+passing+grades

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from TexasPat3. Show TexasPat3's posts

For those of you getting completely carried away with this win, read this article, describing all the injuries that the Titans had in their secondary, going into today's game. Duane Starks and Earthwind Moreland were better CBs than the ones they started today:  http://www.tennessean.com/article/20091018/SPORTS01/91018020/1027/Titans++defense+takes+a+beating

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from Calmy. Show Calmy's posts

What was the score of the Giants/Raiders game last week and the score of the Giants game today?  Beating up on bad teams means very little.  The Raiders now have 2 more wins than the Titans.  You're happy about the win and happy no one got hurt.  That is about it.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from patpscyho. Show patpscyho's posts

Pats put in a solid outing today.

Titans and the snow skews the grading.

But Brady's long game is back; he was coming off his backfoot pretty good, even leaving it fully a few times. Snow is to the Patriots what spinach is to Popeye, the cure-all.

We are 10-0 in the snow. Even Pees was calling a good game, little vanilla on D.

And definitely the play of the game was that flea-flicker. It shifted the game into a different direction.

Vollmer put in a great game and did not have help on pass protection and only had one TE motion to chip on his edge. Also was key on the dive up  the middle, delivering a key block and creating space for the LoMo TD. However, Light has not lost his job yet.

Hoyer is the real thing- 9 for 11 and shows me that he has a far better grasp of the playbook than I ever thought he'd have. he has actually shown he is more competent than KOC. 

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from chrisakawoody. Show chrisakawoody's posts

[QUOTE]     For those of you getting completely carried away with this win, read this article, describing all the injuries that the Titans had in their secondary, going into today's game. Duane Starks and Earthwind Moreland were better CBs than the ones they started today:  http://www.tennessean.com/article/20091018/SPORTS01/91018020/1027/Titans++defense+takes+a+beating
    Posted by TexasPat3[/QUOTE]

I don't buy that excuse.  It is the Titans' fault for not having more depth at DB.  I guess that it the price you pay for dumping a ton of dough on a rookie QB contract only to have him fall to the bench a few seasons later. Some games are won in the off-season, when the teams are assembled. It is not the Pats fault that the Titans didn't assemble a deep team or spread the wealth around to do so. And no team knows better than the Pats the injury bug hitting the DBs, yet they field one good team after another, year after year, inury after injury. 

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from Paul_K. Show Paul_K's posts

[QUOTE]I give myself the following report card: Overall predcition of game = F
    Posted by chrisakawoody[/QUOTE]

I give myself a B for saying the +9.5 point spread was 2.7 points too low.  I leaned the right direction, and many smart guys would take the underdog on principle.  Of course my stats couldn't know how injured the Titans were.

I leaned heavily in the right direction on Atlanta,

I horribly blew the Green Bay / Detroit game, actually my stats didn't know that Stafford wasn't playing,

and I slightly leaned the wrong direction on a soft Jets/Buffalo call. 

I'll give myself a B- for the day.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from chrisakawoody. Show chrisakawoody's posts

I enjoyed the report card.  Pretty harsh criticism, Ltown1.  He's just having fun.  We see a lot worse done here, or (gasp) the Fox site where people are just animals.

If you want to beat up on someone, pick me.  I mean, I really got this game wrong. I have been saying that Brady will be pretty rough all season. I said that this team has looked as lackluster as the 2000 team.  Then this happens.  At least I have been defending the D since the first week.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from carawaydj. Show carawaydj's posts

[QUOTE]I give myself the following report card: Predicting score = F (Ithink I predicted an "ugly game" with the Pats winning 17-10. Predicting receivers' success = F (thought the slop would hinder them). Predicting Brady's success = D ( I had him winning, at least). Predicting RBs' success = F ( I had them struggling in the slop, "not as good w/o Taylor). Overall predcition of game = F
    Posted by chrisakawoody[/QUOTE]

Add my name to your prediction score card.  Care to join me for some crow?  I've learned to cook it real well.  I thought they would win, but I figured the Titans would at least show up and fight for their first win.  

22. This post has been removed.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from Yapple. Show Yapple's posts

I love it when we win and I'm bored stiff.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from markes8336. Show markes8336's posts

[QUOTE]     For those of you getting completely carried away with this win, read this article, describing all the injuries that the Titans had in their secondary, going into today's game. Duane Starks and Earthwind Moreland were better CBs than the ones they started today:  http://www.tennessean.com/article/20091018/SPORTS01/91018020/1027/Titans++defense+takes+a+beating
    Posted by TexasPat3[/QUOTE]

I don't think too many are getting carried away. Most are appropriately qualifying the win as it should be - a big win over a bad team. Ordinarily, poor conditions favor the lesser team, but the Pats love the cold and slop, as their winter record indicates.
    Regardless of conditions or competition, a team still needs to execute. Brady and the Pats did just that. If you don't execute, bad teams can, and will, beat good teams - reference Oak-Philly.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from markes8336. Show markes8336's posts

[QUOTE]I love it when we win and I'm bored stiff.
    Posted by Yapple[/QUOTE]

I'm with ya there Yapple - lol!