Tom Brady 23yrd reception

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from TFB12. Show TFB12's posts

Tom Brady 23yrd reception

A blast from the past.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=49ftrkkWozE

Any chance of them using TFB like this with the direct snap? LOL!

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from BostonSportsFan111. Show BostonSportsFan111's posts

Re: Tom Brady 23yrd reception

Hey look... He's in the shotgun way back in 2001...

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from NY-PATS-FAN4. Show NY-PATS-FAN4's posts

Nice throw by Faulkie...hits him right in stride.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from Getzo. Show Getzo's posts

Awesome.

5. This post has been removed.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from RallyC. Show RallyC's posts

In response to CliffordWasHere's comment:

In response to BostonSportsFan111's comment:

Hey look... He's in the shotgun way back in 2001...

Wasn't the base offense and it wasn't used for 90% of the choice to throw as a formation.

Glad I could help.

Hey, look!  A wrinkle play because it's a wrinkle playcall.  What a discovery! lmao

Hmmmmm, now there's a thought! How bout we run a gimmicky, wrinkle based offense? That way we can trick every team on every play! That way the element of surprse can be used with every play. Finally, I am learning NFL football..........Hey BB, I hope you're reading all of this.

7. This post has been removed.

8. This post has been removed.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from RallyC. Show RallyC's posts

One other comment on the shotgun/under center discussion is this:

If Brady sees man coverage, he should be under Center.

Two reasons:

He can run a West Coast style play which is basically off a quick route break like we see with Branch above near the goal line.

Or, he can hand it off with the LBs and CBs (CBs mostly) with their backs hopefully turned to the line of scrimmage.

We know he shreds zone, but that's usually in the shotgun. I don't get why they just can't follow these basic ideas.   It's one thing if they disguise their D well, but when I watch these games, like I am sure many do as well, I just call out what the D is, with ease.  If I can see it, Brady should be able to know what works best (Under Center or Shotgun), but he is not showing that during games.

He just stands there pointing out the Mike LB as if we don't know who the Mike is ourselves.  Get to the line, know the coverage and run the plays.  We all know who the Mike is just like when Manning would over-exaggerate that a decade ago, and then he'd throw 2 or 3 INTs in a game against a good D.

The Shotgun is a clear failure against good man cover teams with a pass rush.  I am not going to talk about how it's somewhat coincidental that the obsessive PI calls against our DBs show up when DBs face our WRs and TEs in coverage, because that's a seperate thread. In these losses, the whistles disappear for holdings, illegal contact or PI calls but we keep using the Shotgun into those coverages and play right into their scheme.

"I prefer the shotgun." Tom Brady, 2010

It's hard to ignore. It really is.

Rusty, your points are excellent even if they are at times offensive to others. Tom Brady was absolutely better under center in the beginning. Now, if I had to pick just one pre-snap, play alignment for him today, I gotta say Shot-gun, and I agree the way they ran it 2010 is my preferred too. Today, I just don't think, post knee injury and 35+ years old, that Tom is capable of the constant movement required to execute medium to deep routes from under the center. Not like he use to for sure. So, when you are under center with him, D's are gonna play it for the underneath routes and tom will also take more of a beating physically with hits and extra steps from under the center. His per-sanp reads are great, but DCs have become so sophisticated with their pre sanp disguises. He is best in the shot gun so he has time to read the REAL D Scheme post snap. The real trick is to find a good balance between Run and pass from both of these sets. How? Thats why BB and his boys are making so much money these days........Uh oh, Rusty! You are now disagreeing with yourself in font of everyone!!!! LOL!!!

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from TrueChamp. Show TrueChamp's posts

The FACT is that we used shotgun less this year then the last 6 years.mReiss points this out often.  We also were 2nd in the league in rushing aTt's. Our offense is now headed in the right direction with Mcd calling the plays. Despite another bad showing by the O in this last AFC game we are getting back to unpredictability.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from Quagmire3. Show Quagmire3's posts

I remember that play. Loved it then, and still love it today!!

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from TrueChamp. Show TrueChamp's posts

And I also remember that play, but would rather Brady stay safe in the pocket....

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from RallyC. Show RallyC's posts

In response to TrueChamp's comment:

And I also remember that play, but would rather Brady stay safe in the pocket....

Absolutely agree.

14. This post has been removed.

15. This post has been removed.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from RallyC. Show RallyC's posts

In response to RallyC's comment:

Two reasons:

He can run a West Coast style play which is basically off a quick route break like we see with Branch above near the goal line.

Or, he can hand it off with the LBs and CBs (CBs mostly) with their backs hopefully turned to the line of scrimmage.

We know he shreds zone, but that's usually in the shotgun. I don't get why they just can't follow these basic ideas.   It's one thing if they disguise their D well, but when I watch these games, like I am sure many do as well, I just call out what the D is, with ease.  If I can see it, Brady should be able to know what works best (Under Center or Shotgun), but he is not showing that during games.

He just stands there pointing out the Mike LB as if we don't know who the Mike is ourselves.  Get to the line, know the coverage and run the plays.  We all know who the Mike is just like when Manning would over-exaggerate that a decade ago, and then he'd throw 2 or 3 INTs in a game against a good D.

The Shotgun is a clear failure against good man cover teams with a pass rush.  I am not going to talk about how it's somewhat coincidental that the obsessive PI calls against our DBs show up when DBs face our WRs and TEs in coverage, because that's a seperate thread. In these losses, the whistles disappear for holdings, illegal contact or PI calls but we keep using the Shotgun into those coverages and play right into their scheme.

Rusty, your points are excellent even if they are at times offensive to others. Tom Brady was absolutely better under center in the beginning. Now, if I had to pick just one pre-snap, play alignment for him today, I gotta say Shot-gun, and I agree the way they ran it 2010 is my preferred too. Today, I just don't think, post knee injury and 35+ years old, that Tom is capable of the constant movement required to execute medium to deep routes from under the center. Not like he use to for sure. So, when you are under center with him, D's are gonna play it for the underneath routes and tom will also take more of a beating physically with hits and extra steps from under the center. His per-sanp reads are great, but DCs have become so sophisticated with their pre sanp disguises. He is best in the shot gun so he has time to read the REAL D Scheme post snap. The real trick is to find a good balance between Run and pass from both of these sets. How? Thats why BB and his boys are making so much money these days........Uh oh, Rusty! You are now disagreeing with yourself in font of everyone!!!! LOL!!!

Last year, I think it was, the Arizona Def Coordinator said something to the effect of "We knew what they wanted to do and we could set up our D accordingly".

That's not what I want to read after a home opener against Arizona in Week 2 after you ran your offense so well the week before in Tenn, not in a lot of shotgun base in the first half.

Ridley ran amuck and Brady had total control of the whole game down in Tenn. The D also made plays, etc. They go hand in hand. It's always about our offense in an offensive league predicating how these games can go, just like it is for every single other top notch franchise and recent SB winner.

Brady's first play in the home opener? A tipped, telegraphed pass to Welker out of the hash for an INT.   It cannot be ignored. 

Offense now wins championships in this league, but that doesn't mean just pass to score almost excusively as your base. It's the big secret some aren't realizing. This is why the Jets suck right now. THey think a D can be the better part of the team and win a SB and it won't work.  Your offense needs to be the thing that drives the train because all these Ds are in a battle of attrition. It's how many points you can hold an O down and if that O can ice games in the 4th qtr.

That's what parity and this cap era NFL is with a push for offense via Goodell.

I think you are correct. BUT, don't discount the fact that there is a cyclical element involved when determining whether its D or O that ultimately drives. As the O becomes more sophisticated, the D must evolve to a competative level to stop that O and usually does over time. Then, you will see the D take the drivers seat again. At which time, the pendulum swings as the O creates the momentum which will eventually take the O back in the seat for a period. I hear what you are saying and agree that we have been in an O-centric period for some years now, but that is starting to swing back the other way as you see with SEA, BAL, SFO, TEX, and hopefully this year with the Pats. The real goal is to get both sides of your team to an elite level and lead the way in both realms..........DYNASTY! Sound familiar.....

17. This post has been removed.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from RallyC. Show RallyC's posts

Two reasons:

Last year, I think it was, the Arizona Def Coordinator said something to the effect of "We knew what they wanted to do and we could set up our D accordingly".

That's not what I want to read after a home opener against Arizona in Week 2 after you ran your offense so well the week before in Tenn, not in a lot of shotgun base in the first half.

Ridley ran amuck and Brady had total control of the whole game down in Tenn. The D also made plays, etc. They go hand in hand. It's always about our offense in an offensive league predicating how these games can go, just like it is for every single other top notch franchise and recent SB winner.

Brady's first play in the home opener? A tipped, telegraphed pass to Welker out of the hash for an INT.   It cannot be ignored. 

Offense now wins championships in this league, but that doesn't mean just pass to score almost excusively as your base. It's the big secret some aren't realizing. This is why the Jets suck right now. THey think a D can be the better part of the team and win a SB and it won't work.  Your offense needs to be the thing that drives the train because all these Ds are in a battle of attrition. It's how many points you can hold an O down and if that O can ice games in the 4th qtr.

I think you are correct. BUT, don't discount the fact that there is a cyclical element involved when determining whether its D or O that ultimately drives. As the O becomes more sophisticated, the D must evolve to a competative level to stop that O and usually does over time. Then, you will see the D take the drivers seat again. At which time, the pendulum swings as the O creates the momentum which will eventually take the O back in the seat for a period. I hear what you are saying and agree that we have been in an O-centric period for some years now, but that is starting to swing back the other way as you see with SEA, BAL, SFO, TEX, and hopefully this year with the Pats. The real goal is to get both sides of your team to an elite level and lead the way in both realms..........DYNASTY! Sound familiar.....

Complementary football. I just think the Pats dynasty clubs were built via D and a smart, efficient offense because that era was that era, which is the more traditional style of offense.

Look at how people will seriously try anything and everything in terms of severly altering offenses year to year now. You've got Wildcats, read options, etc.  It's because teams know they can't have the same exect offense year to year anymore because someone else is having in depth, multi dimensional style offenses.

All the sophisiticated teams with the elite QBs, shift stuff in and out. Only the higher IQ QBs can handle it. Look at Big Ben struggling with with Haley's West Coast ball out early, timing and accuracy offense.

If you don't have a high end QB who can adapt, you're going to see inconsistency. It's hard to draft a Brady, Rodgers, Brees, etc, you really need to find something close to that (Flacco) to have a shot at the SB now. QB league, offensive era, but your offense needs dynamics in it, too.

Eli also struggles with this. They keep the same offense every year and it's contigent more on what is around him, than strategy. It's groung and pound and then him with playaction.  Cruz is a stud, Nicks is very good, Manningham was very good there, their TEs, the O Line and ground and pound, etc.

I think we've gone too far from that and over-analyzed how we need to attack teams. It's almost Brady is obsessed with doing a lot of everything, but not mastering the basics. That's the best way I can describe it.

Again, your take on it is very good to me. This is football and the options are finite. Eventually, as I was trying to point out to a poster yesterday that, Bigger, Stronger, Faster.....and the one that I left out that you bring up here is also a critical element, SMARTER, will win out. This is why I am absolutely a proponent of what the Red Skins have in RG111. The guy is smart as hell, and OBTW, he's olympic caliber runner with a gun for an arm. Colin Kaepernick, Ditto. We better start looking. With those type of cats, you can do ANYTHING! Tom is not there. He was/is a great QB with lots of hardware, much of which is due to Tom being very, very smart too. But Tom 2.0 won't get us anywhere once Tom 1.0 is done. Think KG with the C's. Still amazing for his age, but ain't ever been KB, LBJ, KD, etc. The offense you want right now Rusty, ain't a TB lead O. BB is doing the best he can with a big, slow, older white dude. FACT! and he will likely win one more Superbowl with him....and I love Tom Brady....just speaking the truth. In order to win for the next decade, we better be looking at an upgrade in athleticism at QB, with similar smarts. Hard to find? Hard to win a Superbowl too......

19. This post has been removed.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from RallyC. Show RallyC's posts

Two reasons:

Complementary football. I just think the Pats dynasty clubs were built via D and a smart, efficient offense because that era was that era, which is the more traditional style of offense.

Look at how people will seriously try anything and everything in terms of severly altering offenses year to year now. You've got Wildcats, read options, etc.  It's because teams know they can't have the same exect offense year to year anymore because someone else is having in depth, multi dimensional style offenses.

All the sophisiticated teams with the elite QBs, shift stuff in and out. Only the higher IQ QBs can handle it. Look at Big Ben struggling with with Haley's West Coast ball out early, timing and accuracy offense.

If you don't have a high end QB who can adapt, you're going to see inconsistency. It's hard to draft a Brady, Rodgers, Brees, etc, you really need to find something close to that (Flacco) to have a shot at the SB now. QB league, offensive era, but your offense needs dynamics in it, too.

Eli also struggles with this. They keep the same offense every year and it's contigent more on what is around him, than strategy. It's groung and pound and then him with playaction.  Cruz is a stud, Nicks is very good, Manningham was very good there, their TEs, the O Line and ground and pound, etc.

I think we've gone too far from that and over-analyzed how we need to attack teams. It's almost Brady is obsessed with doing a lot of everything, but not mastering the basics. That's the best way I can describe it.

Again, your take on it is very good to me. This is football and the options are finite. Eventually, as I was trying to point out to a poster yesterday that, Bigger, Stronger, Faster.....and the one that I left out that you bring up and is likely going to be the most critical element from here on, SMARTER, will win out. This is why I am absolutely a proponent of what the Red Skins have in RG111. The guy is smart as hell, and OBTW, he's olympic caliber runner with a gun for an arm. Colin Kaepernick, Ditto. We better start looking. With those type of cats, you can do ANYTHING! Tom is not there. He was/is a great QB with lots of hardware, but Tom 2.0 won't get us anywhere over the next 10-yrs. Think KG, PP, etc. The offense you want ain't a TB lead O. BB is doing the best he can with a big, slow, old white dude. FACT! and he will likely win one more Superbowl with him....and I love Tom Brady....just speaking the truth.

We disagree on the RG3 and Kaepernick thing.  Although I agree they are pretty good passers like Vick was/is, that addiction or tendency to want to run, will eventually catch up to them.  So, they're whole experience comes off a base offense that is a gimmick, which will fade.

Now that film is out on both, if they think they can do what they did last year, they're going to be sorely mistaken.  Kaepernick choked at the goal line in the SB, because he wanted to feel comfortable running read option plays.   He was indecisive, still ran them and then Balt got away with it.

I look at the read option as somewhat of a sign that your QB isn't that great of a passer, which is why you use the read option or a Wilcat to begin with.

RG3 has already been hurt and Vick can't ever stay healthy for a full year and it's because they think their athleticism at the NCAA level can translate here, and it can't. That's not to say here and there, it won't, but if you're relying on that as the basis as to why you do make those nice throws here and there, it will catch up to you over time.

All the passes Kaepernick makes is off of the fact the D didn't handle the read option well.

If you look at our game vs them, the only reason they did anything in that first half was because we turned it over 4 times in our own zone where they had incredible field position. But, we stoned that read option cold which in turn allowed our offene to make that comeback.

As you can tell by my "Tom don't run" statements, I am not saying the QB we get should be the read option type of guy. He just better be able to do it if when we need him to be. Those other two are being used like a kid does with a new toy....NONSTOP. That isn't what I mean. I mean you have to have those types of athletes who force the D to prepare for what they are capable of doing vs. for only what they see you do. NOBODY prepares for Tom to run one because even if he does, he ain't going nowhere fast. See, its not what we do that a team worries about, its what we are capable of doing that they aren't ready for that makes DCs lose sleep. Its like owning a Ferrari! Its more for show than anything else......what it can really do is there, you just use it SMARTLY. Tom 2.0 will need to be that type of an athlete with flashes of great runs if only to force the D to stay honest. One dimensional QB make life easy on scheming........Cam Newton, as you mention, another perfect example of the type we need.

21. This post has been removed.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from RallyC. Show RallyC's posts

Two reasons:

Again, your take on it is very good to me. This is football and the options are finite. Eventually, as I was trying to point out to a poster yesterday that, Bigger, Stronger, Faster.....and the one that I left out that you bring up and is likely going to be the most critical element from here on, SMARTER, will win out. This is why I am absolutely a proponent of what the Red Skins have in RG111. The guy is smart as hell, and OBTW, he's olympic caliber runner with a gun for an arm. Colin Kaepernick, Ditto. We better start looking. With those type of cats, you can do ANYTHING! Tom is not there. He was/is a great QB with lots of hardware, but Tom 2.0 won't get us anywhere over the next 10-yrs. Think KG, PP, etc. The offense you want ain't a TB lead O. BB is doing the best he can with a big, slow, old white dude. FACT! and he will likely win one more Superbowl with him....and I love Tom Brady....just speaking the truth.

We disagree on the RG3 and Kaepernick thing.  Although I agree they are pretty good passers like Vick was/is, that addiction or tendency to want to run, will eventually catch up to them.  So, they're whole experience comes off a base offense that is a gimmick, which will fade.

Now that film is out on both, if they think they can do what they did last year, they're going to be sorely mistaken.  Kaepernick choked at the goal line in the SB, because he wanted to feel comfortable running read option plays.   He was indecisive, still ran them and then Balt got away with it.

I look at the read option as somewhat of a sign that your QB isn't that great of a passer, which is why you use the read option or a Wilcat to begin with.

RG3 has already been hurt and Vick can't ever stay healthy for a full year and it's because they think their athleticism at the NCAA level can translate here, and it can't. That's not to say here and there, it won't, but if you're relying on that as the basis as to why you do make those nice throws here and there, it will catch up to you over time.

All the passes Kaepernick makes is off of the fact the D didn't handle the read option well.

If you look at our game vs them, the only reason they did anything in that first half was because we turned it over 4 times in our own zone where they had incredible field position. But, we stoned that read option cold which in turn allowed our offene to make that comeback.

As you can tell by my "Tom don't run" statements, I am not saying the QB we get should be the read option type of guy. He just better be able to do it if when we need him to be. Those other two are being used like a kid does with a new toy....NONSTOP. That isn't what I mean. I mean you have to have those types of athletes who force the D to prepare for what they are capable of doing vs. for only what they see you do. NOBODY prepares for Tom to run one because even if he does, he ain't going nowhere fast. See, its not what we do that a team worries about, its what we are capable of doing that they aren't ready for that makes DCs lose sleep. Its like owning a Ferrari! Its more for show than anything else......what it can really do is there, you just use it SMARTLY. Tom 2.0 will need to be that type of an athlete with flashes of great runs if only to force the D to stay honest. One dimensional QB make life easy on scheming........Cam Newton, as you mention, another perfect example of the type we need.

I don't know if I agree with that. I think it's nice to have a QB who can scoot like Rodgers is able to do or Luck, etc, but I don't think the athlete type QB needs to be a prerequisite. It's about reading Ds and footwork in the pocket where the mobility needs to be, IMO.

I think what we're seeing in terms of the Vick prototype is more of a phase than anything else.  It's never really worked before either, so until it does, I am not buying it.

Flutie struggled because he wanted to do some running and it just isn't enough.  He at least could throw, but his lack of being a pure, larger pocket passer hurt his career.

That's cool. But think about it in the purest of form:  which is bet to have in stressing a D more, the pass only O or the run/pass mixed O?  Now, same test for QB? It's how you use the possibility to your advantage. Not that you see sign the O around the ability. Think more stratega raved advantage vice tactical. Make them prepare for it. It's tough on DC!
    The thing I do know for sure is that we both agree with some, not all NFL coaches with our positions on this. I applaud the fact that you do so with well thought out points and not venomous vitriol because we see it differently. I guess they'll say we're the same guy now, eh Rusty?! Lol!!

23. This post has been removed.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from tcal2-. Show tcal2-'s posts

I fondly remember the days of Charlie Weis and our unpredictable offense.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from BassFishingBurgerKingChick. Show BassFishingBurgerKingChick's posts

Oh my Gawd, what a love fest this Rusty and Rally guy have with each other.  They either have to be the same person or boyfriend/girlfriend because this is not normal to see two grown men flirting so much with each other.  I mean seriously, get a room fellas. 

I have no problem with gay people but really, on a football forum.  Go get a room already.  This is not normal behavior on a forum like this.  Is there an alternate lifestyles forum here for you to post on instead of here? 

As I mentioned, I was an ex NFL and CFL cheerleader and i would bet that if this Rally fellow really played in the CFL that he was the first player to come out of the closet.