Tom Brady Needs to take a look in the mirror

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from tjc33tampa. Show tjc33tampa's posts

Tom Brady Needs to take a look in the mirror

This team follows Tom Brady's lead and hollywood has let us down in big games. 4 Turnovers is not acceptable ...the Jets advanced with a great running game and a rookie.  Matt Cassel won 11 games last year and Tom Brady won 10.  

This team as is will not win anything in the next 5 years ...now I am not saying this is Tom Brady's fault alone.  But I am saying lets pull a Dallas Cowboys and get a huge package for a player who has seen his best days. 

What if this team that has 4 out of the 57 picks  trades Randy Moss to Minnesota for their 2010 and 2011 second round picks.  

Trade Brady to St Louis for Stephen Jackson and their 1st round pick 

We sacrifice 2 years and hopefully load up for another great run.  This run is over and we need to step back and reload. 

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from tjc33tampa. Show tjc33tampa's posts

Re: Tom Brady Needs to take a look in the mirror

I think it is time to get a great deal and move forward .... we can't win like this 

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from Leonard15. Show Leonard15's posts

Brady has to be blamed but they don't have any better QB to plug in that him right now and QB's are hard to come by as they discovered him by accident when Drew Bledsoe went down. The chances of them drafting a QB and grooming him are slim and don't even bother trying to build a Super Bowl winner with a manage the game QB like how the Steelers did with Ben Rothesburger as those things are just pipe dreams. The only way the Patriots win another Superbowl is if Brady decides to carry them like he did before or if they find someone else that can carry them.

If you look at it this season the Patriots knew that Brady was going to have to carry them more than any other b/c they didn't have the parts on both sides of the football to help him out and when they needed Tom to be there when it mattered most he wasn't and thus there season is over.

Look at the past in 2001 when Drew Bledsoe went down Tom came in and saved an 0-2 team as whenever they were down he picked them up with comeback wins and late game drives as both Tom and the Patriots defence took turns helping each other out. Also the same thing in 2003 the Patriots defence gave up the fewest points in the league and then in the second half of the Superbowl Carolina started to pile up the points on the Pats D, but Tom was there to put the points on the board that were necessary to win the game. Then again in 2004 the Patriots had the Steelers in the AFC title game and points were going to be a premium but Tom bailed them out with a great day passing and thus didn't allow the Steelers to put up enough points to win the game. You see the 3 Superbowls there was balance b/t Tom getting the needed help and him helping his teamates out as it was a give and take thing, but this season the Patriots were thin all around and Tom wasn't there to save them.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from seattlepat70. Show seattlepat70's posts

i disagree with the first statement of the second paragraph. i believe they can win the sb next year and any of the next five. hell, arizona made it to the sb after a losing record if i am not mistaken. bb has to reassess his coaching philiosophy. he has become to conservative imho, whether on the field or at the draft.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from CubanPete. Show CubanPete's posts

"This team follows Tom Brady's lead and hollywood has let us down in big games. 4 Turnovers is not acceptable ...the Jets advanced with a great running game and a rookie.  Matt Cassel won 11 games last year and Tom Brady won 10.  

This team as is will not win anything in the next 5 years ...now I am not saying this is Tom Brady's fault alone.  But I am saying lets pull a Dallas Cowboys and get a huge package for a player who has seen his best days. 

What if this team that has 4 out of the 57 picks  trades Randy Moss to Minnesota for their 2010 and 2011 second round picks.  

Trade Brady to St Louis for Stephen Jackson and their 1st round pick 

We sacrifice 2 years and hopefully load up for another great run.  This run is over and we need to step back and reload."

Please stop posting. You don't know what you're talking about.

The 2008 Pats went 11-5 because they had a soft schedule. All 5 losses were to teams that either had winning records or went to the playoffs. 4/5 of those losses, the Pats D allowed 30 or more points.

Brady is part of the solution, not part of the problem. Yes, he had a substandard year, by his lofty standards. OTOH, he was playing with broken ribs.

What are the problems then?

1.) Coaching: Deen Pees should have been fired after SB42 when he couldn't prevent the Giants from scoring a needed TD from their own 17. When the Pats were up 14-10, 2:15 left, I thought the game was in the bag. Ooops. Looking back at Pees' resume. Under his stewardship, his defense...

... blew a 21-3 halftime lead at Indy in the 2006 AFCCG
    ... as mentioned, allowed the Giants to score the GWTD in SB42
    ... as mentioned, collaspsed against good offenses in 2008
    ... pattend the 4th quarter collapse in 2009. Hey at least his D didn't waste any time in the playoffs.

Was it all Pees' fault? Not 100%, but as DC he has to shoulder a significant amount of the blame.

On the offense, the team was without an OC for all of '09. BB wound up micro managing this unit at the end.

Special teams was dreadful under Brad Seely's replacement.

BB needs to rebuild his staff with competent coaches on both sides of the ball.

2.) Offensive Philosophy: 2007 was a fun ride until the very end. The reality of SB 42 is that from that point, smart teams knew how to stifle the Pats scoring machine. The offense that lost in SB 42 was the same unit that lost to the Ravens. Put a safety on top of Moss, a LB on top of Welker, and let the Pats try to win with those other guys. When Brady is lining up in the shotgun, blitz the rest. Let him hand off to Faulk. Just don't let Brady get comfortable. By midseason, the Pats were in shotgun 75%!!! No wonder Brady's been getting killed since SB42.

The Pats have become a finesse team on offense. They need to scrap the '07 approach and replace it with smash mouth. Bring in FBs and blocking TEs and a hard-nosed runner like Antowain Smith. Hey, we won 2 SBs with him in the backfield. That's 2 more than with Moss.

While nitwits belabor "4th and 2", they miss the big picture - the Pats inability to eat up the clock with a lead. According to NFL rules, an incomplete pass  stops the clock. In the Colts game, too often, the O abandoned the run to try and get a 1st down. The INCs allowed Indy enough time to mount a comeback.

3.) Improve the pass rush: Contrary to what many think, I like the young talent core of our defense. I really do. IMO, Pees misued Adalius Thomas by not allowing him to rush the passer. I believe a new and (infinitely better) coordinator will help.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from BostonTrollSpanker. Show BostonTrollSpanker's posts

"Trade Brady to St Louis for Stephen Jackson and their 1st round pick "

I wouldn't mind Jackson - I wish we could trade ten or twenty fans who felt like you and get Jackson in return. 

Nice job jumping the gun. I suppose the Broncos should have traded Elway during their rebuilding years also - good thinking!

Good thing there are slightly more clued in people who are actually making these decisions!

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from pyegian. Show pyegian's posts

The sentiments of this post have to be attributed to the fact that we have just become spoiled by Brady over the past 10 years.  If we trade Brady, the franchise will be set back for the next decade.  A Hall of Fame quarterback in his prime is about as valuable a commodity as there is in sports.   Brady is the solution to this team, not the problem.  He made his mistakes this year, but he was playing extremely hurt, and there were fundamental flaws with the offensive system he was operating in (namely the play calling).  

Don't be rash.  You can't come even remotely close to replacing Brady.  He is still the leader of this team and cares more about football than anything (his passion and love for the game have been well documented this year coming off the missed season).  It's not his fault the media follows him around everywhere.  He's still a "first to arrive, last to leave" guy.  

There are many things about this team that need to change.  Brady is not even close to being one of them.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from ronf. Show ronf's posts

Belichick thought he could take a bunch of JAGs and surround Brady with them. Coach em up and let the system do the rest. Well he found out you need talent on the field to go along with a good system. Heck, that spread offense with only two front line WRs has turned out to be a bad concept. Brady is not to be blamed. One guy can't carry an entire team. Pats fans should take solace in the fact that Elway did not win a championship at Denver until he had a power running back to hand the ball to and a good defense. If the Pats have a three year plan anything is possible! 

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from SoxPatsCelts1988. Show SoxPatsCelts1988's posts

Completely rebuild by trading Brady and Moss?  That is the stupidest thing I've ever heard.

First of all, Tom Brady played awful today.  No denying that.  When was the last time he's had a playoff game like that let alone regular season game?  It was probably the worst performance of his career but give the guy a break.  If he continues down this road next season then there's room for concern but I'm not going to count the guy out after one game.

This team is a good RB and a few defensive pieces away from being a Superbowl contender again.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from MossBradyChamps. Show MossBradyChamps's posts

Cmon...get off Tom. Did you see the leather jacket he had on after the game? The guy is money!

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from Davedsone. Show Davedsone's posts

I thought we should have kept Cassel and traded Brady last year.  But we didn't, and whatever the problems are, he is WAY better than starting over.  Coaching seems to be a BIG problem, Pees, Obrien are horrible, and just the general drain of coaches we have endured seems to have had an effect.  Note that charlie weis did NOT come to foxborough, neither did romeo crennel.  I wonder if they didnt want to return, or we didnt want them.  We need to fire Moss, Aiken, Stanback.  Get 2 or 3 large receivers who can catch.  Marshall?  Boldin? (not large, but good enough).  Let Wilfork move on, switch to a 4-3 and get linebackers and linemen.  Resign Bodden, hes a killer.  Keep springs.  send wilhite packing.  Release Taylor and Morris, keep Moroney and BJGE.  Start again, It will be ok.  use ALL the draft picks.  Pick in the first round, no downtrades.  Get the best players you can.  

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from diablotin. Show diablotin's posts

Blaming all 4 turnovers on Brady - did you watch the same game I watched?  Brady had 3 guys in his face .5 seconds after the snap on 75% of the plays.  Is he supposed to block everyone too?  Yes, ONE of the picks he threw was very lame (over the middle soft throw to no one in particular) but the other turnovers really were not his responsibility... strip sack is a blocking issue (how about we trade LIGHT, I've never been high on him)... even the pick over the middle he was running for his life (poor decision though)... it's not Brady... the Pats go as their offensive line goes.  When they play well, we win, when they play badly or are outmanned, or outschemed, they lose.  Today they were outmanned AND outschemed.  That had nothing to do with Brady. 

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from carawaydj. Show carawaydj's posts

In Response to Re: Tom Brady Needs to take a look in the mirror:
    " ...Nice job jumping the gun. I suppose the Broncos should have traded Elway during their rebuilding years also - good thinking! ...
    Posted by BostonTrollSpanker

Well put.  I remember quite well all of the people saying Elway's days were over, the Broncos were has beens, and so on.  Then one day, we all woke up to see them win back to back SB's.  In fact, how long was their lull?  Since our last SB win we have at least made the playoffs all but one year, were in the SB, and had an undefeated regular season. 

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from chrisakawoody. Show chrisakawoody's posts

Insane post by a "fan" who has no clue. 

Yeah, Brady had a rough day, but consider:

1) He was playing with a broken finger;

2) He may have three broken ribs, or at least contused ribs.

3) He has a bum shoulder.

4) He often had no time to throw.

5) He had no healthy, experienced starting receiver to which to throw.  Moss was playing hurt, Welker out, Aiken hurt, Eldeman hurt;

6) The offensive play-calling was simply atrocious.  I didn't think they could have seen a worse-called offensive game in the post-season than SB 42...until I saw O'Brien's work this season and today. He never learned from his mistakes.  Harsh to dump a guy after one season, but in this case the subject shows zero talent for the position.

7) Brady had his second-best year statistically.  Again, this is a failure of the O.C.  A guy coming off massive knee surgery should not be asked to carry the team.  How many times did they run today?  How many times did they pass? The Ravens were giving the Pats the run and O'Brien refused to take it.  Brady should not have had the yards he had this year - he should have been helped by an O.C. that used the RBs more.

8) He has a porous line.  Matt Light has done great things for the Pats, but against good teams and good edge rushers he has been hopeless since mid-2007.  Same goes for Kazcur.  Brady can't help it if he gets nailed within two or three seconds.  The o-line needs a rebuild and Volmer needs to anchor it at LT.  Light should be a substitute at this point in his career.   Again, been great over the years, but he is not up to the task at this point in his career.  Same goes for Koppen. 

9) The play designs Brady had to use were awful this season. We heard rumblings that he was unhappy with O'Brien's play designs and calling.  What's with chucking it downfield every set of downs?  That's how they lost SB42.  The screen blocking schemes have been pedestrian.  And Faulk was wasted  this season.  I thought he was having an off-year and maybe losing a step, but now I see he was just not utilized.  Stupid to leave a play-maker out of the plays.

As for Moss, he has been playing hurt for a while, as best we can tell.  And he still had a good season.  When you are hurt, you are hurt, plain and simple.  Moss is a stand-up player and should stay for the rest of his career.  Not his fault that Brady's finger was broken, that he is hurt, that the playing calling was lame and the formations telegraphed the vanilla plays. 

Aiken needs to stick to spec./Ts.  He is not receiver material.  Way too many drops.

Also, the Fred Taylor experiment didn't work.  The guy had no impact this season. Injured much too long, then was still too hurt to contribute - exactly why the Jags let him go. Time to retire.  I am not expecint to find Morris or Ellis back next year, but who will they get to replace them?

Lastly, Pees just has not been successful.  A defense that consistently folds in the 4th QTRs, that is hot and cold from week-to-week, that cannot handle a good team is the result of poor coaching.  They had good talent and they underachieved.  That is a coaching failure.  Time to bring back some Romeo or find somebody new. And to think that we could have had Greenbay's D/C if we had fired Pees last year.

Oh, and as for this season's results - I told you so.

But I also told you I think the D will play much better next year.  It is the O and S/Ts that need more work.

Lastly, BB, you have to stop jerking around irreplaceable guys when it comes to contracts.  You should have re-signed Wilfork last year.  Now you will have to tag him or lose him, and if you tag him you will just lose him the next year...unless you tag him again, which would have defeated the whole point of holding hard on his contract so far. Had we kept just two of Stallworth or Gaffney or Samuel or Law a bit longer you surely would have had at least two more rings this decade.  You are cutting it too close by waiting so long and are offending deserving players like Wilfork.  It doesn't work out. Time to admit you have have been wrong and the fans have been right. Take it from a guy in sales - customers (players) resent it when they know you won't meet them fairly in the middle, or that you are trying to wear them down over time.  You get it done and they appreciate it. You stall and they end up disrespecting/disliking you.  You need the customer to at least respect you, and it is twice as good if they like you.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from seattlepat70. Show seattlepat70's posts

sn#####,

you are aboslutely spot on with your comment on the ol. it is a problem that was exposed on the sb game against the giants. and i think we learned today that it has not been fixed. i guess coaching can share a big part of the game, but each one on that line was outmatched.

and it's not just the ol. i believe the dl is in bad shape too. the lack of pass rush may be just a symptom of bigger problems. i noticed that they really struggled to clog the middle. ne was only able to do shutdown the inside run by bringing the lbs to help inside, leaving the outside open for the rb. perhaps the problem has always been the dl and that they have been having to compensate by bringing lbs in to help, taking away their ability to pass rush.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from Steeleagle. Show Steeleagle's posts

He needs to take a look at something since he no longer has illegal film to look at.  Nobody outside of the greater Boston area is either shocked, or disappointed that the Patriots failed to advance in the playoffs. Since the spy cameras have been pulled the Patriots have failed to win a Super Bowl and the rest of the NFL community could not be happier about it. Now that the Patriots have to play by the same rules as the rest of the league, don't expect the sky to keep raining down Lombardi trophies. A local sports writer suggests the dynasty is over. You people may want to call it a dynasty, the rest of the NFL world calls it a scandal. Never in the history of the Super Bowl have three individual Vince Lombardi trophies been so tainted. Winning one legally is proving to be a challenge he has yet to overcome.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from shenanigan. Show shenanigan's posts

This plays is running low on Patriots fans.  I would like to see the trolls go away.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from Steeleagle. Show Steeleagle's posts

The trolls can go away but, that does not erase the fact that your three Lombardi trophys and those Super Bowl rings are nothing but physical symbols of cheating.  Your 1985 AFC championship trophy is the greatest piece of hardware the Patriots have legally won.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from codfishcat. Show codfishcat's posts

I'm sorry, but what I have noticed in watching some of the wild card playoffs, is that the Coach's who won were the ones who rallied their players in letting them know that he cared for them so much that they were energized and wanted to give their all to do so.  Sorry, but I have not seen this attitude between Bellichek and his team so so long.  There has been very little excitement and enthusiasm among the Patriots for a long, long time.  Yes, they have won games but only by a few points most of the time. 

What I cannot understand is why they sent Seymour to Oakland; to me, it was like a slap in the face for all the time he spent at Foxboro. 

Does Kraft and the whole Patriots organization really care. 

That team needs to be overhauled and energized PERIOD. 

It's not that Tickets are cheap and it is such an insult to all the fans with season tickets who expect their team, The Patriots, to have the responsiblity, to make sure that happens.

Brady could use a few extra pounds.  What is he eating these days - or is he more interested in modeling, as a career!

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from mosseffect43. Show mosseffect43's posts

I have a better idea.how about everyone who thinks brady should go take a long look in the mirror,and ask themselves do i know football?do i know what im talking about?

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from m1020us. Show m1020us's posts

LOL!  It looks like people who want to trade Brady didn't watch the game....

Matt Light Horrible block lead to strip sack...

2 deflected passes were ints....

Many dropped passes....

Defense did not show up.....

Brady did not play great, but he also does not play WR, Defense or block.....there is no reason to trade one of the best QB's in the NFL, when you are missing the pieces around him.....

I say it is time for Moss to go..... 

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from m1020us. Show m1020us's posts

"
    First: 4/7/2008
    Last: 1/11/2010
    I have a better idea.how about everyone who thinks brady should go take a long look in the mirror,and ask themselves do i know football?do i know what im talking about?
    "

BINGO!

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from TheDukefromMD. Show TheDukefromMD's posts

Some observations from MD. You guys are spoiled! Having great football and baseball teams for so many years can do that to some. Booing your team like you did....and I read that tickets were still available? I have talked to many red Sox fans that flock to Camden Yards each summer and all were good people. Don't think too many people had the Ravens on the radar this year as they are a better team than the standings suggest. They had a tough schedule and lost a few really close ones by their own mistakes. They came to play as you found out...give them some credit. Even Tom Brady can't make plays when he's running for his life....Big Ben seems to do that the best. All the good teams seem have a good coach as well as a good QB. You have that. Can't believe reading comments on your boards calling for the heads of everyone in the organization starting with your owner, head coach, QB and pretty much everyone else down the line. I saw your owner here in Balto two years ago on a cold windy Monday night walking around the field before the game signing autographs for anyone in the stands with a Pats jersey. My 11 yo son had a Brady jersey on. How would you like to have an owner that was a drunk and an embarrassment threatening to pull the team out of your city every time he spoke? He did eventually move them to Indy in the middle of a snowy night and now we have a home grown owner who didn't come from old money who is a great guy. Be glad and appreciate what you have...You made the play offs...Yeah you had some injuries...so did we...3 of our starting backfield went down for the year.....How do you think Detroit or Tampa or Oakland feel year after year. Or even Green Bay after their QB threw for over 400 yards and lost in OT? Did you see the look on the Packers faces...to come back like that...they were shell shocked. Brady is still a great QB however he is getting the reputation of a girly boy but he made some good comments after the game and didn't make excuses. Try keeping this in mind ...you all have an election coming up where you can all turn out and be true Patriots. You have the opportunity to put our country back on the right track and alot of Americans ...my self included would love to see you Patriots start taking back our Country...You did it before...Go Patriots!

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsLifer. Show PatsLifer's posts

I think Brady will take a long look in the mirror and come back next year even more motivated than ever. He is a winner, and our best chance at QB to make a run at the SB for the next 5 years. 

I believe the fault falls on BB squarely. Although a good coach and strategist, he has done nothing to help this team and surround Brady with good talent. I pretty much think the last 3-5 years of the draft have been a giant waste. We let good players get drafted by other teams, and all the while, we surround Brady on offense with mediocre talent. Take Moss, Welker and Faulk out of the discussion....we have no true 3rd or 4th receiver, no playmaking TE, no hard nosed RB. Our O-line is overrated....our Offense and Defense needs help, and it probably starts with hiring some good coordinators who can focus and help BB. 

I don't think Brady is our problem. One thing that we have squandered is the last 5 years, or since 2005. Perhaps once or twice in the history of a franchise do you get a talent like Brady. BB and Kraft should know this and should have maximized Brady's talent while we have him, and load up on skill positions.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from hmrstrm. Show hmrstrm's posts

Brady did not have a broken finger.
    Brady did not have broken ribs.

Stop the lie now. Man up Pats fans, no excuses for a change. The Pats got manhandled because they didn't show up to play. When Welker got hurt in a meaningless regular season game, the team quit. PERIOD.