Tom Brady

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from mthurl. Show mthurl's posts

Tom Brady

Couple of things here...

Rusty says the player is spoiled, dictating the offense, stat driven, and ineffective in the post season causing us loses. He also thinks Ryan Mallett is a first round talent and highly sought after player that teams want badly to acquire. So the obvious question becomes this...why are we going to trade Mallett, he's younger, much much cheaper and Brady is old and very expensive..why not keep Mallett and trade Brady? Clearly if both of these arguments that Rusty believes is true..are true, then anyone would make the smart and no brainer decision to part ways with the expensive and poor game managing Tom Brady. Correct?

So if Mallett is this smart, tall, athletic, gun slinging, cheap, young first round talent that is worth more in terms of trade value than RG3 (what he said yesterday), then clearly the smart move for the best GM of all time will be trade Brady and NOT Mallett.

What can we get for Brady? 2 firsts? How much money can we potentially save? 20 million? No brainer.

Of course there is the possibilty that Rusty is as wrong as humanly possible in all this - I believe that if Belichick doesn't trade Brady this off season and start the Mallett revolution, it proves three things...one, that Brady is NOT a problem. Two, that Mallett is not some sure fire first round selection. And three, rusty is wrong and usually is.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from mia76. Show mia76's posts

Re: Tom Brady

Brady is one of those players that have so much in signing bonus that cutting or trading him creates a ton of dead money. Somewhere in the neighborhood of 14M. That is 9M in savings so nothing to sneeze at, but ... not sure many teams are going to be trading a lot of draft picks for a 36 yr old and pay him a boat load as well

I realize you were not being all that serious here.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from mthurl. Show mthurl's posts

Seriously, doesn't it make sense? You trade a 18 million dollar player that is suppossedly not performing to expectations and a problem in our post season success...clear massive amounts of cap space...get multiple first round picks and have the luxury of being able to roll out a young first round franchise quarterback at minimal dollars! No brainer. Easiest decision Belichick could ever make. The market for qbs this year is suppossedly weak...there are QB needy teams out there...we wouldn't even have to trade him in our coference.

What's the problem here? Could it be that Brady is a once in a life time talent with a few good years left? Could it be that Mallett is a stiff with nothing but a big arm? Nah...not according to rusty.  

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from rkarp. Show rkarp's posts

Well, Mallet is worth more than RG3. There is always that nugget.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from mthurl. Show mthurl's posts

In response to mia76's comment:

Brady is one of those players that have so much in signing bonus that cutting or trading him creates a ton of dead money. Somewhere in the neighborhood of 14M. That is 9M in savings so nothing to sneeze at, but ... not sure many teams are going to be trading a lot of draft picks for a 36 yr old and pay him a boat load as well

I realize you were not being all that serious here.

Well the thing is if this were the case, I'd be dead serious. And who knows? The guy may be right...you never know. I mean he's been talking like this for three years now and just yesterday he said Mallett had more trade value when he came out of the draft than RG3...that is a lot of conviction right there. I'm just saying maybe he is on to something - you know Belichick will have absolutely no sentimental atttatchment when it comes to improving this team, so if this is true Belichick will do it. We may of seen the last of Tom Brady when you think of it.

Yeah there will be dead money to consider, but it didn't stop us from getting rid of Fenene (5 million in dead money over the last two years), Ocho (2 million last year and 1.5 million this year), Shaun Ellis (2 million last year), Leigh Bodden (7 million). In fact becaus it will count against the cap and therefore it's money that can't actually be spent, from a pure money saving investment standpoint, it could save Kraft 9 million out of his pocket. Another win. 

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from mthurl. Show mthurl's posts

In response to rkarp's comment:

Well, Mallet is worth more than RG3. There is always that nugget.

And quite a nugget it is, just think, we may have the next Andrew Luck right here on our roster. And the money we save from Brady's cap number - added with the resources we obtain from the trade - will allow us to build a defense and perhaps acquire a franchise runner. Truth is we could probably add an outside threat in the draft too. Mallett as a young QB could be taking snaps on the most talented team in the NFL - and considering that Mallett is more talented than RG3, it almost guarantees a Super Bowl victory. Can you picture that? Here we have Brady carrying this team for a decade and then in his departure he virtually cements another championship right at patriot place! This is magic if you ask me. People say unicorns are nothing but horses with a fancy birthday hat, wouldn't this kind of prove them all wrong?

7. This post has been removed.

8. This post has been removed.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from mthurl. Show mthurl's posts

In response to ClarkGriswold's comment:

Me saying mallet's value in a very weak 2013 qb prospect market one year removed from rg3 in the draft is not me saying "he has more".

Fact is, each were 1st rd prospects 1 year removed and the ultra dumb skins overpaid on the market.

Leave it to tweedle dink and tweedle dumb to confuse my premise.  Or they lie intentionally as a troll tactic.

Look at it this way...if I'm the the GM/coach of this team and my starting QB is spoiled, doesn't like playing under center, is stat driven and is the reason why we have lost in the playoffs the past few years...I trade him, especially if I a have a guy waiting in the wings that is a franchise, first round talent. No brainer. Also if my starting quarterback was a poor game manager, old, a huge cap hit and sabotaging my defense, the decision would be even quicker.

This is what I'd say to the Cardinals for example...yeah we're unloading Brady, any interest? He'll yeah!! Why?! Well he's costing us a lot and we have a guy we feel we'll be able to win with for years to come...we want 2 first rounders..one this year...one next. Done, just like that.

Will that happen? You know BB is way ahead of the curve on just about everything - and he knows his team and players - if he doesn't do something like this then it proves maybe Brady isn't the problem and Mallett is nothing more than a strong arm kid.

and there was no lying in what you said yesterday regarding rg3 and Mallett, its still there...you haven't been banned yet...it's still all there.

10. This post has been removed.

11. This post has been removed.

12. This post has been removed.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from patsbandwagonsince76. Show patsbandwagonsince76's posts

I think Brady will restructure anyway..hopefully the cap space won;t be a problem.

It is interesting that the entire question of trading Brady is no longer Taboo. Yes, I get this is a 'if what Rusty says is true then why not get rid of Brady thread' but I think it should be considered. 

To know for sure the Pats have to pull a SF for a few games, bench Brady and play Mallet.

Give Mallet the preseason, if he does well give him a start...or two. If he is terrible, go back to  fired up Brady. In that case the Pats need a new backup and have lost their entire investment in Mallet cause his value would be 0 on a trade.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from FLY2K. Show FLY2K's posts

Dumb post!!

15. This post has been removed.

16. This post has been removed.

17. This post has been removed.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from JRABBB. Show JRABBB's posts

Brady's tank is just about empty.We all witnessed him play himself right out of MVP contention this year and he looked like Sanchez against the Ravens in the playoffs.

Is he worth 22 million?I say no way-Get rid of him now while you can still get something for him.

Do old QB's get better with age or do they just get older?

Thanks for the memories Tommy Boy but business is business. Not to mention the pats haven't won a SB in what is it now 10 years??

So is everybody enjoying their weekend thus far?

I see Clark still has that condesending tone working. He posts like Mike Francessa speaks...like a real tool.

19. This post has been removed.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from JRABBB. Show JRABBB's posts

Hi gang!-Ther is no reason to repost the post you are replying to. It makes for epically long posts....Clark.Didn't I have a little chat with you concerning this just a few days ago?

Short and to the point not an epic novel.Thanks from everybody!

21. This post has been removed.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from JRABBB. Show JRABBB's posts

STOP REPOSTING YOU JUGHEADS-Wasn't I just voted the Mod by a landslide the other day?

Pay attention to Leon's rules or be shown the door-NO REPOSTING!

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from TFB12. Show TFB12's posts

No other QB has done as much with the no big star player talent around him as Brady has done PERIOD!!  Gronk has emerged as a big time TE but what good does he do if he isn't on the field?  Welker has been a key player, and become a big time player with Brady and has been TFB's crutch because there is no one else when it comes to the huge games.

In the SB the Pats had Welker and that was pretty much it, Gronk was hurt and no other Big Time players yet they almost win after another very impressive season!  Last season Gronk out for the playoffs and Welker again was basically the only weapon the Pats had yet they were 1 game away from the SB... Again! 

TFB probably won't go down as the Greatest QB ever unless he wins another SB but you gotta admit... TFB is GREAT!  One of the Greatest of all time! He had Moss for a while, he has had Welker but this team has never been loaded like the Montana 49'ers were.  Had Brady had a couple more big star players surround him on both offense and defense he would no doubt about it be the GOAT!  Best EVA! 

Let's get a deep threat, keep Welker and get a solid CB and do the SB a couple more times before he retires!

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from mthurl. Show mthurl's posts

In response to patsbandwagonsince76's comment:

I think Brady will restructure anyway..hopefully the cap space won;t be a problem.

It is interesting that the entire question of trading Brady is no longer Taboo. Yes, I get this is a 'if what Rusty says is true then why not get rid of Brady thread' but I think it should be considered. 

To know for sure the Pats have to pull a SF for a few games, bench Brady and play Mallet.

Give Mallet the preseason, if he does well give him a start...or two. If he is terrible, go back to  fired up Brady. In that case the Pats need a new backup and have lost their entire investment in Mallet cause his value would be 0 on a trade.

You're right, it's no longer taboo. And as much as it may seem like this is a bash rusty thread, it really isn't. If he is correct about what he has said about Brady over the past three years and if he is correct about Mallett being a first round talent, then this should happen. How much does Brady cost? How old is he? How much was really his fault? And what is the talent level of Mallett? These things I'm sure have all been discussed by Belichick and his staff, if the answer is it was Brady's fault and Mallett is as good as Rusty says, the you can bet that Brady will be dealt before the draft. I personally don't think ate the case and here's why...

As much as I'd love to see Brady's cap number less, he may still be worth evey penny of that number for the simple fact he makes so many players around him better. Gronk and Hernadez are very nice players, but Brady had a lot to do with them having contracts that total 90 million between them. As for Mallett, to me he looks like nothing more than a tall, strong armed QB. Just based of the little he's played, it looks like he can't see the field or make quick decisions. Will he be able to stand there and make any throw? Yes and that does have some sort of value, but that's not something that is going to make you win lots of games - teams will take away those first looks, like they did with Bledsoe.

25. This post has been removed.