Tom Brady's Lost Season

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from TexasPat3. Show TexasPat3's posts

Tom Brady's Lost Season

Heres' a cold, hard look at what Bernard Pollard's lunge into Tom Brady's knee cost the Patriots...and Brady personally: http://www.coldhardfootballfacts.com/Articles/11_2736_The_great_lost
    _season.html

Thoughts?

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from prairiemike. Show prairiemike's posts

Re: Tom Brady's Lost Season

Nothing I like better than cold, hard football . . .

abject speculation.

[IF]
    If you can keep your head when all about you
    Are losing theirs and blaming it on you,
    If you can trust yourself when all men doubt you
    But make allowance for their doubting too,
    If you can wait and not be tired by waiting,
    Or being lied about, don't deal in lies,
    Or being hated, don't give way to hating,
    And yet don't look too good, nor talk too wise:

If you can dream--and not make dreams your master,
    If you can think--and not make thoughts your aim;
    If you can meet with Triumph and Disaster
    And treat those two impostors just the same;
    If you can bear to hear the truth you've spoken
    Twisted by knaves to make a trap for fools,
    Or watch the things you gave your life to, broken,
    And stoop and build 'em up with worn-out tools:

If you can make one heap of all your winnings
    And risk it all on one turn of pitch-and-toss,
    And lose, and start again at your beginnings
    And never breath a word about your loss;
    If you can force your heart and nerve and sinew
    To serve your turn long after they are gone,
    And so hold on when there is nothing in you
    Except the Will which says to them: "Hold on!"

If you can talk with crowds and keep your virtue,
    Or walk with kings--nor lose the common touch,
    If neither foes nor loving friends can hurt you;
    If all men count with you, but none too much,
    If you can fill the unforgiving minute
    With sixty seconds' worth of distance run,
    Yours is the Earth and everything that's in it,
    And--which is more--you'll be a Man, my son!

--Rudyard Kipling

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from TexasPat3. Show TexasPat3's posts

[QUOTE]

"If you can keep your head when all about you Are losing theirs and blaming it on you, If you can trust yourself when all men doubt you But make allowance for their doubting too, If you can wait and not be tired by waiting, Or being lied about, don't deal in lies, Or being hated, don't give way to hating, And yet don't look too good, nor talk too wise: If you can dream--and not make dreams your master, If you can think--and not make thoughts your aim; If you can meet with Triumph and Disaster And treat those two impostors just the same; If you can bear to hear the truth you've spoken Twisted by knaves to make a trap for fools, Or watch the things you gave your life to, broken, And stoop and build 'em up with worn-out tools: If you can make one heap of all your winnings And risk it all on one turn of pitch-and-toss, And lose, and start again at your beginnings And never breath a word about your loss; If you can force your heart and nerve and sinew To serve your turn long after they are gone, And so hold on when there is nothing in you Except the Will which says to them: "Hold on!" If you can talk with crowds and keep your virtue, Or walk with kings--nor lose the common touch, If neither foes nor loving friends can hurt you; If all men count with you, but none too much, If you can fill the unforgiving minute With sixty seconds' worth of distance run, Yours is the Earth and everything that's in it, And--which is more--you'll be a Man, my son!" --Rudyard Kipling
    Posted by prairiemike[/QUOTE]

Some guy named Kipling wrote this? Gee...I thought Tony Dungy authored it. 

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from prairiemike. Show prairiemike's posts

What's more fun than ragging on Tony Dungy?

I'll tell you what's more fun than ragging on Tony Dungy . . .

Nothing.Cool

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from JohnHannahrulz. Show JohnHannahrulz's posts

I don't think projected stats mean much. It seems that Brady would have worse stats in 08 than he had in 07, even though the schedule was much tougher in 07. If Cassel and Moss can burn Asmougha, what happens when Brady plays the Raiders ? Besides Al Davis going into apoplectic shock.

"You're a better man than I am Gunga Din ..." -- Same Dude

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from Grogan77. Show Grogan77's posts

Brady would have been awesome if he stayed healthy last season, but as the old saying goes "you can't cry over spilled milk"  But let's just hope for a healthy Brady this year, which could be record breaking.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from bubthegrub2. Show bubthegrub2's posts

This is the most ridiculous statement of that entire article:

Instead, Manning boasts a 3-to-1 advantage in MVP awards and a 3-to-2 advantage in TD titles.

Who cares? Maybe Colts fans. Brady has a 3-1 advantage in SB rings, and 2-1 in SB MVP awards! I understand they are trying to put their "perspective" on missing a season, but the Patriots are not about stats...they are about wins! I like CHFF, but they do seem to be speculating quite a bit here. I could care less if he ends up being #5 in passing yards or TDs instead of #1. One thing the "lost" season won't do...cost Tom his spot in Canton. And unless you're a stats geek, the things you remember about any player after he's retired is if he won SBs and if he made it to the HOF. I'm sure Peyton would trade those MVP awards and any passing records for Tom's "extra" two rings!!!

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from JPSox84. Show JPSox84's posts

it's ridiculous to assume brady (or any QB for that matter) will be able to play at the same level that he did as a 26-27 year old then as a 36-37 year old.

it's also ridiculous to say brady would have been a better QB than manning had he not got hurt in 2008. brady has been fortunate to play on better teams during his career. manning is the superior QB based on individual statistics.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from prairiemike. Show prairiemike's posts

Just what every team needs, a "superior" QB who gags when the stakes are highest.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from underdogg. Show underdogg's posts

[QUOTE]This is the most ridiculous statement of that entire article: Instead, Manning boasts a 3-to-1 advantage in MVP awards and a 3-to-2 advantage in TD titles. Who cares? Maybe Colts fans. Brady has a 3-1 advantage in SB rings, and 2-1 in SB MVP awards! I understand they are trying to put their "perspective" on missing a season, but the Patriots are not about stats...they are about wins! I like CHFF, but they do seem to be speculating quite a bit here. I could care less if he ends up being #5 in passing yards or TDs instead of #1. One thing the "lost" season won't do...cost Tom his spot in Canton. And unless you're a stats geek, the things you remember about any player after he's retired is if he won SBs and if he made it to the HOF. I'm sure Peyton would trade those MVP awards and any passing records for Tom's "extra" two rings!!!
    Posted by bubthegrub2[/QUOTE]

Bub - I think you are right that Manning would prefer SB's to MVP's.  By the way the SB MVP is a joke (including Manning's).  In my opinion it holds absolutely no weight in determining the greatness of a player. 

But in this most team of all team games Manning can only provide so much.  Manning's legacy is solid. 

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/194208-peyton-mannings-legacy-is-in-the-peoples-hands-thats-the-problem

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from underdogg. Show underdogg's posts

[QUOTE]Just what every team needs, a "superior" QB who gags when the stakes are highest.
    Posted by prairiemike[/QUOTE]

Agreed - Shame on Manning for not being able to catch his own passes. 

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from prairiemike. Show prairiemike's posts

[QUOTE]Agreed - Shame on Manning for not being able to catch his own passes. 
    Posted by underdogg[/QUOTE]

Here again we see how the mentality ofr the hero manifests itself in the fan.

When the hero is successful, he is a bold, decisive leader of men.

When he loses, it's not his fault "he can't catch his own passes.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from underdogg. Show underdogg's posts

On this board, Manning is an easy target.  Someone should defend him. 

But I think you generally have it right.  It is funny that so many of the intelligentsia on this site can so easily place the blame of wins and losses in this most team of team games on one player. 

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from prairiemike. Show prairiemike's posts

See, that's the thing I don't understand. I don't really see the need to defend Manning here. What's the goal? Do you expect to convert Pats fans? I've never felt the need to go to a Colts message board and carry Tom Brady's standard. The fact of the matter is, Manning's accomplishments speak for themselves. Pats fans are the ONLY fans in the league who can realistically make an arugment that our guy is better.

(cue Steelers fan with some retarded Ben Roethlisberger post)

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from JulesWinfield. Show JulesWinfield's posts

The article degenerated into a lot of silly projections, but I agree it is a shame that one of the greats had to lose a year of his prime production.  Gladly, Brady will obviously play this year.  I only hope that he's a similar player to the one he was pre-injury.  It would be nice to have a reprisal of the old Manning-Brady rivalry - wasn't that AFCCG following the 2006 season great?!

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from Kmaxx. Show Kmaxx's posts

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from patpscyho. Show patpscyho's posts

[QUOTE] http://bleacherreport.com/articles/194208-peyton-mannings-legacy-is-in-the-peoples-hands-thats-the-problem

Underbogg,  Bleacher Reports can be written by anyone.. they're done by amateurs like you. All you need to do is input an username and password.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from underdogg. Show underdogg's posts

underbogg?? Was that an insult?  It couldn't have been a typo. 

anyway - amateur or not the point is no less valid or would you have preferred this comment from John Tomose or Gregg Easterbrook? 

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from bubthegrub2. Show bubthegrub2's posts

[QUOTE]Bub - I think you are right that Manning would prefer SB's to MVP's.  By the way the SB MVP is a joke (including Manning's).  In my opinion it holds absolutely no weight in determining the greatness of a player.  But in this most team of all team games Manning can only provide so much.  Manning's legacy is solid.  http://bleacherreport.com/articles/194208-peyton-mannings-legacy-is-in-the-peoples-hands-thats-the-problem

I agree both QBs have a solid legacy. Two of the best to ever play the game. What puts Brady ahead of Manning  (IMO) is that he played his best in the big games (SB 42 notwithstanding). Peyton has never really been able to "stay his pace" when playing against the better teams in January. And while I don't blame the Colts postseason blunders entirely on Manning, he does have to share a good part of it. I don't consider SB MVP a "joke", but it only shows how great the guy was in one game. Although some MVPs have been given to the wrong player, IMO. In SB 41 I would have given it to Addai and Rhodes. Likewise, I might have given the MVP in SB 36 to Ty Law. QBs seem to get more than their fair share of this award, and it's more from name recognition rather than their actual performance. Although some guys like Doug Williams and Joe Montana truly deserved it (also Brady in SB 38).

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from AZPAT. Show AZPAT's posts

[QUOTE]This is the most ridiculous statement of that entire article: Instead, Manning boasts a 3-to-1 advantage in MVP awards and a 3-to-2 advantage in TD titles. Who cares? Maybe Colts fans. Brady has a 3-1 advantage in SB rings, and 2-1 in SB MVP awards! I understand they are trying to put their "perspective" on missing a season, but the Patriots are not about stats...they are about wins! I like CHFF, but they do seem to be speculating quite a bit here. I could care less if he ends up being #5 in passing yards or TDs instead of #1. One thing the "lost" season won't do...cost Tom his spot in Canton. And unless you're a stats geek, the things you remember about any player after he's retired is if he won SBs and if he made it to the HOF. I'm sure Peyton would trade those MVP awards and any passing records for Tom's "extra" two rings!!!

More stats:

Manning out whined Brady (overwhelmingly):   100-0
    He got more fake grass boo-boos: 56-4
    He annually wins the NFL's HUgest Cranium Award
    Most "offensive line breakdowns per game: 3-1
    And, has out-commercialed Brady: 25-3.

WOW! And to think that Brady had the brass set to actually win 3 SB's before Manning sniffed one! Talk about pure luck!

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from AZPAT. Show AZPAT's posts

[QUOTE]it's ridiculous to assume brady (or any QB for that matter) will be able to play at the same level that he did as a 26-27 year old then as a 36-37 year old. it's also ridiculous to say brady would have been a better QB than manning had he not got hurt in 2008. brady has been fortunate to play on better teams during his career. manning is the superior QB based on individual statistics.
    Posted by JPSox84[/QUOTE]

I blieve you put too much valtine in this morning's milk. Your barin cell can't take the sugar rush. Of course, we all know that it's much better having a "superior QB" than to actually win SB's with a mere "great"one, or none at all with a HOF chucker. Just ask the 'Fins about the Marino years of under achievement. But, boy do you love stats. I'll bet you go for shiny stuff that glitters too.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from underdogg. Show underdogg's posts

[QUOTE]I agree both QBs have a solid legacy. Two of the best to ever play the game. What puts Brady ahead of Manning  (IMO) is that he played his best in the big games (SB 42 notwithstanding). Peyton has never really been able to "stay his pace" when playing against the better teams in January. And while I don't blame the Colts postseason blunders entirely on Manning, he does have to share a good part of it. I don't consider SB MVP a "joke", but it only shows how great the guy was in one game. Although some MVPs have been given to the wrong player, IMO. In SB 41 I would have given it to Addai and Rhodes. Likewise, I might have given the MVP in SB 36 to Ty Law. QBs seem to get more than their fair share of this award, and it's more from name recognition rather than their actual performance. Although some guys like Doug Williams and Joe Montana truly deserved it (also Brady in SB 38).

Thats reasonable.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from underdogg. Show underdogg's posts

[QUOTE]More stats: Manning out whined Brady (overwhelmingly):   100-0 He got more fake grass boo-boos: 56-4 He annually wins the NFL's HUgest Cranium Award Most "offensive line breakdowns per game: 3-1 And, has out-commercialed Brady: 25-3. WOW! And to think that Brady had the brass set to actually win 3 SB's before Manning sniffed one! Talk about pure luck!
    Posted by AZPAT[/QUOTE]

What's up grumpy Geritol friend.  Can I call you Walter?

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from agcsbill. Show agcsbill's posts

I ran my own projections for Brady's "Lost Season" and you know what I figured out?  He would have been the first player in history to win a SB single handedly!  Just him against the NFL!!  Won the Comeback Player of the Year, MVP, SB MVP, all the awards!!  LOL.  Kool-aid tasted good, too!

All this article did is generate discussion and get this writer noticed.  Projections are fun and make for good debate.  Both Brady and Manning, conceivably, have quite a few more good years and they are on teams that help.  I just hope Brady doesn't go "Favre" on us and embarrass himself!

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsRfineIn09. Show PatsRfineIn09's posts

woulda coulda shoulda gets you nowhere in life, since 2005 the Patriots are the ultimate woulda coulda shoulda team and it suks, lets win it this year so the nightmare can end.

who cares about stats, i want the ring, i would rather see Brady have a mediocre year and win it with strong D and a great running game than go thru 2007 again