Tom Coughlin is a great coach

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from Schumpeters-Ghost. Show Schumpeters-Ghost's posts

Tom Coughlin is a great coach

The guy never gets credit - they are always saying he is "losing his players" or "about to get fired'

Well he beat the Patriots who were 18 - 0 and now he has beaten the Packers who were 15 - 1.

That is pretty impressive.  I'll put him up there with the great coaches.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from ccnsd. Show ccnsd's posts

Re: Tom Coughlin is a great coach

I knew he was great when Boston College upset an undefeated Notre Dame in the early 90's knocking them out of the national championship.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from Schumpeters-Ghost. Show Schumpeters-Ghost's posts

Yup - Coughlin had some great year at BC.

Also, had a great team in Jacksonville.  he's right up there with the best coaches.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from Paul_K. Show Paul_K's posts

The way I see it, the offensive coordinator for the Green Bay Packers is in grief over the sudden drowning of his son last week.  That didn't help the team at all. 

Coughlin is a pretty good coach.  He has gotten some breaks in the playoffs, but he has made the best of them. 

General Robert E. Lee was a good general but he was stuck on the side without much money or population, and the South didn't trust their slaves to hold guns either.  Sometimes simply being on the right side is part of success.

5. This post has been removed.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from shenanigan. Show shenanigan's posts

IMO the way to tell if a team has a great coach is if their team gets better throughout the year. Yeas, Coughlin is a great coach.

7. This post has been removed.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from NY-PATS-FAN4. Show NY-PATS-FAN4's posts

In Response to Re: Tom Coughlin is a great coach:
    [QUOTE]So was Joe Paterno...
    Posted by Patsfansince1966[/QUOTE]

W T F ???

Relevance?

9. This post has been removed.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from Gravelten4. Show Gravelten4's posts

The word "great" has become so arbitrary and diluted. Nearly every season he loses his team for long stretches. Nearly every season he is on the hot seat. He is "challenge flag" inept. At times he seems tactically deficient. I can't call him "great" for these reasons alone. Come on.  If anything he is a good solid coach with a Teflon skin. The players love him before AND after they have thier 5 or 6 game MIA spell.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from BubbaInHawaii. Show BubbaInHawaii's posts

not too shabby of a coach. Look at the coaching staff from 1990 NY Giants

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1990_New_York_Giants_season#Coaching_staff

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from ccnsd. Show ccnsd's posts

[QUOTE]The word "great" has become so arbitrary and diluted. Nearly every season he loses his team for long stretches. Nearly every season he is on the hot seat. He is "challenge flag" inept. At times he seems tactically deficient. I can't call him "great" for these reasons alone. Come on.  If anything he is a good solid coach with a Teflon skin. The players love him before AND after they have thier 5 or 6 game MIA spell.
    Posted by Gravelten4[/QUOTE]

I do not know what his numbers were this year but for a long time he had the highest % in getting calls overturned with challenge flags. In fact i've seen him get calls overturned before the networks have even showed the viewing audience a pertinent replay. Maybe he lost his challenge guy in the booth but he was the best in the business at it just two years ago. I'm not convinced his job has been in as much jeopordy as the media in new york like's to portray it. The Giants are not known for having panicky owners (like the Jets) so i think his super bowl victory over the Pats a few years ago has given him more longevity than the players would have liked. If Eli continues to play like he has this year the Giants may become a super power. Last year Eli sunk that team with all his picks. This year Eli has turned into a 4th quarter machine.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from Philskiw1. Show Philskiw1's posts

Dont forget Eli had great protection and looked all pro! Whether thats Coughlins credit or not, something was working for the G-Men.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from sml1210. Show sml1210's posts

In Response to Tom Coughlin is a great coach:
    [QUOTE]The guy never gets credit - they are always saying he is "losing his players" or "about to get fired' Well he beat the Patriots who were 18 - 0 and now he has beaten the Packers who were 15 - 1. That is pretty impressive.  I'll put him up there with the great coaches.
    Posted by Schumpeters-Ghost[/QUOTE]

Let's not get carried away....he benefitted greatly from an awful game called by his counterpart McCarthy.

What in the world was he thinking....first, with the on-side kick and then not punting in the fourth quarter with a 4th and 5 and down one score. With that bonehead call, he immediately changed the field position in what was then still a close game.

Just a remarkably poor effort by GB AND their coahing staff.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from Davedsone. Show Davedsone's posts

He looks like a mean drunk who's about to go home and beat his wife.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from 49Patriots. Show 49Patriots's posts

Great, no! Good, no. Above average? Yes.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from ChasaB. Show ChasaB's posts

[QUOTE]The way I see it, the offensive coordinator for the Green Bay Packers is in grief over the sudden drowning of his son last week.  That didn't help the team at all. 
    Posted by Paul_K[/QUOTE]

I wasn't aware that the offense Coordinator being in grief meant that the packers recievers would no longer be able to hold onto the ball.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from Ytsejamer1. Show Ytsejamer1's posts

Great point ChasaB...i thought the same thing.  Those offensive players save for Rodgers, threw up on their shoes...that was a pathetic display.  Rodgers did miss maybe one third down throw...but he was the only guy doing his job yesterday.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from Philskiw1. Show Philskiw1's posts

Some of this win has to be attributed to the Tyree catch on the hail mary. Apparently Tebow isnt the only one those work for.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsDK. Show PatsDK's posts

Why is this thread here??

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hetchinspete. Show Hetchinspete's posts

[QUOTE]What is the relevance of "Coughlin is a great coach"?
    Posted by Patsfansince1966[/QUOTE]

It's relevant because his team beat the Pats in the Super Bowl and we may face them again this year. 

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hetchinspete. Show Hetchinspete's posts

[QUOTE]Why is this thread here??
    Posted by PatsDK[/QUOTE]

Because someone posted it like any other. Why not I ask. 

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from TFB12. Show TFB12's posts

He's tough, He's old school, he is a very good coach who doesn't seem to get any credit.  Seems like his job is always on the line.  Doesn't get the respect he deserves.  The dude worries me every time the Pats face him.  I would like the Pats vs Giants in the SB for the revenge factor but probably the scariest matchup for the Pats.