Too Early For Gameplan Discussion vs Bills?

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from rkarp. Show rkarp's posts

Re: Too Early For Gameplan Discussion vs Bills?

In response to russgriswold's comment:

If it's not, here is my take on how to approach this game:

Offense:

Run it early and often. Buffalo still hasn't addressed their Run D and their edges just aren't very good.

With Byrd and Gilmore out, it should be somewhat easy for Brady to work the windows on the field.  Advantages all over, especially with a run game established early.

Defense:

Stop CJ Spiller/Fred Jackson.  With a rookie QB who hasn't played in a month or played top competition yet, it would be appear obvious they'll ease him in with lots of work for their RBs.

If they do run some read option stuff, just hit Manuel. He won't want to be the guy to make plays within those kinds of plays in his first game.

Mix man and zone to confuse Manuel.

Pats 38, Buffalo 17

I believe Gilmore is out, but Byrd is questionable? 

Agree establish the run will be first priority. Bills DL and LB's can be pushed around by Pats OL. 

I think you are generous with your score. IMO Bills have trouble scoring 17 points

Pats 27 Bills 10

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from APpats22. Show APpats22's posts

I don't think Byrd will play and even if he does he will be hurting with that foot injury. ANyways I think it's a good time to discuss this. I feel like Blount will run all over their D

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from 49Patriots. Show 49Patriots's posts

If New England gives up 17 points they should be ashamed. 

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from TFB12. Show TFB12's posts

Offense:

Run it early and often. Buffalo still hasn't addressed their Run D and their edges just aren't very good.

With Byrd and Gilmore out, it should be somewhat easy for Brady to work the windows on the field.  Advantages all over, especially with a run game established early.

Defense:

Stop CJ Spiller/Fred Jackson.  With a rookie QB who hasn't played in a month or played top competition yet, it would be appear obvious they'll ease him in with lots of work for their RBs.

If they do run some read option stuff, just hit Manuel. He won't want to be the guy to make plays within those kinds of plays in his first game.

Pats 38, Buffalo 17

It's the Bills, they better be putting up more then 40 on them.  And I will be disappointed if they allow more then 17 from a rookie QB who has been out due to a leg injury.

45 - 13 Patriots.

Balanced running and passing attack. This should be a game where the Pats can see how the pass and run game look.  Once a good sized lead, run the Bills over with the run game.

Defense should be able to stop the run game pretty well.  Again, this type of game the Pats will have a chance to check out some depth players as it should be a run away type game.  Manuel should never cross the 200 yards passing mark.  Turnovers need to be big for the Pats.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from rkarp. Show rkarp's posts

If it is a 45-13 game do we see Mallett?

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from seawolfxs. Show seawolfxs's posts

BBs D plays so much bend but not break they allow a lot of meaningless points and yards all season. and  the D we see now is not what we will see in December
    Pat's Fan lost in Jet Land

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from Muzwell. Show Muzwell's posts

I like Manuel (maybe because I have a kid at FSU...). I think he's a guy who will be a better pro than a college player.

Buffalo always plays the Pats tough up there. Don't think this will be any different. I like their offense better than their defense. Spiller and Jackson are a pretty strong backfield. Scott Chandler will catch a TD pass, mark it down.

This is the biggest game on their schedule, opening day.  They'll make it a game.

Pats 31-26.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from coolade2. Show coolade2's posts

game plan...  Win.  whatever doesn't work, go to plan B... if you have a lead, save your players for Thursday game vs JETS. 

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from RallyC. Show RallyC's posts

Offense:

Defense:

Pats 38, Buffalo 17

Excellent.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from mthurl. Show mthurl's posts

I mean anything can happen, but I think if we can contain Spiller the game is over. Now that's not easy to do and lord knows you can't put one of our linebackers on him, but I've got to think they have thought of something to take him out of the game...Collins and dare I say T. Wilson? Two years ago Fletcher got absolutely schooled trying to stick with Spiller in coverage - I don't think you'll see Spikes, Mayo or Hightower have much success, so it's the young guys that may get their shot in my opinion.

I do worry about our young receivers starting the season on the road in a stadium as big and loud as that one, but you have to start somewhere and the Bills aren't very good. I expect to see lots and lots of Vareen...screens, draws, delays, short passes and some runs. I think we'll see a lot of Edelman and I think Amendola will be the focal point. It will hurt not having Gronk out there, but we may see Sudfeld catch a TD pass.

I don't think you'll see us waste a lot of time trying to confuse their rookie QB, because really I don't think a rookie is going to be doing much except playing on adrenaline...he won't know the difference between this coverage and that coverage...these looks and those looks. I think he'll be more concerned with getting the plays called right, making sure everyone is lined up right and just trying to hit the open man (which hopefully won't be as easy as it has been before on us). 24-10 Patriots

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from pcmIV. Show pcmIV's posts

In response to TFB12's comment:

It's the Bills, they better be putting up more then 40 on them. 

You realize that in Brady's seasons since 2007 we've only put up 40+ on the Bills 3 times in 10 chances.  Heck even the highest scoring team in NFL history only dropped more than 40 on the Bills in one of the matchups.  Expecting 40+ is completely unrealistic.  Is it possible?  Sure, but I think you need to readjust your expectations.  I know you're pessimistic about all the new faces at WR, but come on man.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from pcmIV. Show pcmIV's posts

In response to rkarp's comment:

No.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from TFB12. Show TFB12's posts

In response to pcmIV's comment:

In response to TFB12's comment:

[QUOTE]

It's the Bills, they better be putting up more then 40 on them. 

You realize that in Brady's seasons since 2007 we've only put up 40+ on the Bills 3 times in 10 chances.  Heck even the highest scoring team in NFL history only dropped more than 40 on the Bills in one of the matchups.  Expecting 40+ is completely unrealistic.  Is it possible?  Sure, but I think you need to readjust your expectations.  I know you're pessimistic about all the new faces at WR, but come on man.

[/QUOTE]

Bills are going to be horrible this season.  They will be lucky to get 5 wins this season.  E.J isn't ready to come back and run the Bills offense week 1.  He just isn't ready to face a team like the Pats.  The Pats D should stuff the run most of the day and it's going to take a good game by E.J just to score in double digits.  If the Bills play the Pats tough then look out, it could be a bumpy season for us.  But I don't see it.  Pats should be able to put up 40+.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from stan17. Show stan17's posts

I see a heavy dose of run w/ play action. I say Pats 34-13.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from prolate0spheroid. Show prolate0spheroid's posts

The question I have is whether we'll really be able to tell much at all about the Pats defense from this game or even from the Jets game.  Both teams have issues at QB, so I'm not sure either the Bills or the Jets are much of a test of our pass defense, which is what I'm most interested to see.  These are both running teams, which means I suspect BB plays a fairly conservative style of defense that's probably similar to what we saw last year. That, however, may not be what the defense does against more complete teams.  We'll have to wait until week three in Atlanta, I'm afraid, to start getting a true bead on where this defense is.  

On offense, I suspect we'll see a bit more from our receivers in the first half.  I think BB will want to give the passing game some work early and, if a lead is acquired, will run more later.  The Bill's secondary has issues with Byrd and Gilmore gone, so it's probably a good game to allow Brady and his new receivers to work on timing a bit.   I expect, however, a decent mix of run even early, just to mix things up and help set up the passing game.  

I never say this, but with Buffalo's QB and DB problems, this game feels a bit like a mismatch to me.  I wouldn't be surprised if BB holds a lot close to the vest so he doesn't reveal too much on film to more challenging opponents we'll face later in the season.  I wouldn't be surprised if we see some of the back ups playing too.  Remember, the Jets game comes in quick succession, so keeping players rested is important.  

In sum, I see a very conservative "plain vanilla" game plan, with back ups likely playing a bigger role than typical.  

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from prolate0spheroid. Show prolate0spheroid's posts

In response to pcmIV's comment:

No.

Normally I'd agree, but with the Jets game coming up just a few days later, I could see BB resting a lot of his starters if there's a big lead, including Brady. 

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from rkarp. Show rkarp's posts

In response to mthurl's comment:

I mean anything can happen, but I think if we can contain Spiller the game is over. Now that's not easy to do and lord knows you can't put one of our linebackers on him, but I've got to think they have thought of something to take him out of the game...Collins and dare I say T. Wilson? Two years ago Fletcher got absolutely schooled trying to stick with Spiller in coverage - I don't think you'll see Spikes, Mayo or Hightower have much success, so it's the young guys that may get their shot in my opinion.

I do worry about our young receivers starting the season on the road in a stadium as big and loud as that one, but you have to start somewhere and the Bills aren't very good. I expect to see lots and lots of Vareen...screens, draws, delays, short passes and some runs. I think we'll see a lot of Edelman and I think Amendola will be the focal point. It will hurt not having Gronk out there, but we may see Sudfeld catch a TD pass.

I don't think you'll see us waste a lot of time trying to confuse their rookie QB, because really I don't think a rookie is going to be doing much except playing on adrenaline...he won't know the difference between this coverage and that coverage...these looks and those looks. I think he'll be more concerned with getting the plays called right, making sure everyone is lined up right and just trying to hit the open man (which hopefully won't be as easy as it has been before on us). 24-10 Patriots

That's the thing, in a game like this, it plays to Tavon Wilson's strengths. He does play the run well and tackles well, which is a must against a guy like Spiller. He can also stay with a guy like Chandler. Stevie Johnson and Woods are not speed burners, so while they may have numerous catches, they should not be running free behind the S. It would not surprise me to see TWilson get an INT either. 

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from TSWFAN. Show TSWFAN's posts

the Bills have nothing to lose so with a mobile QB [if healthy] they throw caution to the wind and test the Pats secondary early and often. Also look for some gimick plays.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from ghostofjri37. Show ghostofjri37's posts

In response to mthurl's comment:

[QUOTE]

That's the thing, in a game like this, it plays to Tavon Wilson's strengths. He does play the run well and tackles well, which is a must against a guy like Spiller. He can also stay with a guy like Chandler. Stevie Johnson and Woods are not speed burners, so while they may have numerous catches, they should not be running free behind the S. It would not surprise me to see TWilson get an INT either. 

[/QUOTE]

This would make a certain group of posters head explode.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from crazyworldoftroybrown. Show crazyworldoftroybrown's posts

Opening day games always make me nervous. More upsets happen on opening day than anytime during season.

Russ is right, stop Jackson and Spiller. First priority. No turnovers, Great Special Team play. Pats should be OK. 31-21 Pats.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from portfolio1. Show portfolio1's posts

On offense -

1. some focus on running game

2. a good amount of play action

3. hitting DA, KT and Sudfeld in open spaces with some potentially big plays from Dobson, Boyce, Edelman and/or Vereen.

4. Do not let Spiller and Jackson beat you

5. Bring real pressure on long passing downs

THis is how I expect the Pats to win it.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from seawolfxs. Show seawolfxs's posts

In response to portfolio1's comment:

On offense -

1. some focus on running game

2. a good amount of play action

3. hitting DA, KT and Sudfeld in open spaces with some potentially big plays from Dobson, Boyce, Edelman and/or Vereen.

4. Do not let Spiller and Jackson beat you

5. Bring real pressure on long passing downs

THis is how I expect the Pats to win it.

Me too

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from stegall85. Show stegall85's posts

The Bills have some potentially explosive skill position guys but given their level of inexperience I agree that Spiller is the key.

I'm interested to watch the battles in the trenches. If there's any concern about the Pats o-line it's the interior imo and so I'm interested to see how they do against Darius and Williams.

Conversely I'm excited to see Wilfork and Kelly together but also the undrafted guys assuming they get rotated in to some degree.

Pats should win if they don't beat themselves. NE does have a tendency to drop one each year against a weaker team and also seem to frequently have one close one with the Bills. If those two tendencies coincide it could get too close for comfort.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from coolade2. Show coolade2's posts

In response to crazyworldoftroybrown's comment:

Opening day games always make me nervous. More upsets happen on opening day than anytime during season.

Russ is right, stop Jackson and Spiller. First priority. No turnovers, Great Special Team play. Pats should be OK. 31-21 Pats.

I hear ya...  Opening day in buffalo...  Flashbacks anyone? . Milloy game and O'Brien brain cramp 2011 game come to mind.

Manuel concerns me.  Will he be more like a nervous rookie or an RG3?  If it's the latter, it could be trouble if pats don't play aggressive and pressure the guy into mistakes.  They have enough weapons to do damage . Hopefully BB has a few wrinkles to make rookies head spin.

Would like to see sudfeld and Ridley have big days .  No reason why not.  Hope special teams are sound including punt team ...even better if pats don't need to punt.. Lol .

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from rkarp. Show rkarp's posts

In response to coolade2's comment:

In response to crazyworldoftroybrown's comment:

[QUOTE]

I hear ya...  Opening day in buffalo...  Flashbacks anyone? . Milloy game and O'Brien brain cramp 2011 game come to mind.

Manuel concerns me.  Will he be more like a nervous rookie or an RG3?  If it's the latter, it could be trouble if pats don't play aggressive and pressure the guy into mistakes.  They have enough weapons to do damage . Hopefully BB has a few wrinkles to make rookies head spin.

Would like to see sudfeld and Ridley have big days .  No reason why not.  Hope special teams are sound including punt team ...even better if pats don't need to punt.. Lol .

[/QUOTE]

I don't see Manuel anything like RG3. Manuel needs to control the game and not have any turnovers for the Bills to have a chance. 

Wilson beat the Pats last year controlling the game...Pats have to insure that they disrupt any flow Manuel tries to establish. Jones, Nink, McCourty, Wilson will have a chance to make game changing plays....will they?