Too many holes to fill...

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from manowar333. Show manowar333's posts

Too many holes to fill...

Don't even know where to begin here, but might as well start somewhere.
    Belichick's ego needs to go first of all.  For all those who have that "In BB we trust" motto, I just don't get it...  If Bill's such a genius as everyone proclaims, why is this team in such shambles?  If he's such a genius, why didn't he see this team getting old 5 years ago when the rest of us did? 

Let's start with trading draft picks for more affordable players.  This BS needs to stop because this is the end result of that.  And let's stop letting EVERY free agent walk. 

For those who say "it will be better next year"...  What makes you think that?  It's been declining for the past 5 years and I can't remember the last time I thought we had a solid draft or a GOOD free agent pick up on D.  Thought Adalius might pan out but that was clearly a bust and there was a good reason the Ravens let him walk.  And for those who see everything with rose colored glasses and think we have good, young up-and-coming talent, where is is?  Don't buy into the media hype on Mayo, the jury is still out on him.  Didn't see enough of Chung.  But Merriwether and Butler?  Really?  Merriwether may be athletic but was out of position more times than not this year and can't tackle to save his life.  And Butler gets one or two picks and he's now the second coming of Ty Law?

And to those who say it's because we draft late in the first round every year, so does Pittsburgh, Indy, Phila, etc...  They don't seem to have any issues finding quality players in the later parts of the rounds.

We have issues in the secondary, no pass rushing LBs, a nose tackle that probably will be allowed to walk next year rather than get paid, no proven defensive end to replace Seymore and a catch-22 situation in that we don't have good enough db's to allow for a good pass rush, nor do we have a good enough pass rush to help the less-than-stellar secondary.

Offensively, Bill O'Brien has to go far, far away.  The play calling this year was Pop Warner level and the 8 plays he runs are VERY predicatable....  Bubble screen to Welker for varying gains, Welker crossing route for good gain, overthrow Moss deep, force it to Moss in traffic, Maroney dancing through A gap for 1 yard, Maroney stretch play for 2 yard loss, and the ever-popular shotgun draw to Faulk, which though predictable, seemed to garner decent yardage most of the time.

Moss is done.  He's lost a step and that became obvious when they started throwing the deep balls around week 5 to Aiken instead of Moss.  Mayber there was some undisclosed injury that hobbled him all season, but he looks slower to me.  Welker will likely be out all of next season.  So, a washed up Moss and Edelman next year.  Tate...  who knows.

Offensive line is a revolving door, particularly on Matt Lights side.  He can't handle fast defensive ends and the line does not handle A-gap pressure very well on the other side.

No premier running back.  This wouldn't be such an issue with a decent O line, but the two go hand in hand.

The list goes on, but for anyone holding out optimism for better times ahead, I just don't see it.  Even if we rebuilt today, how many solid years does Brady have left or moreover, how much longer will he want to play with the castle crumbling around him?

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from MordecaiBloodmoon. Show MordecaiBloodmoon's posts

Re: Too many holes to fill...

Do you follow the Pats manowar333?  Lets see:
    "It's been declining for the past 5 years and I can't remember the last time I thought we had a solid draft or a GOOD free agent pick up on D."
    Do you remember a guy named Mayo, Defensive rookie of the year?
    Pryor looked decent this year as did Butler and most of this years draft class.  Yes the drafts 2006-8 basically sucked, but no one is perfect.
    Next:
    "And to those who say it's because we draft late in the first round every year, so does Pittsburgh, Indy, Phila, etc...  They don't seem to have any issues finding quality players in the later parts of the rounds."
    Philly lost when we did, Pitt did NOT make the playoffs, so.....guess what,
    I would agree we need some new OL, atleast 2 OLBs a 3rd WR who is up and coming or we will need to add another WR after next year when Moss is most likely gone, and a real, young RB or two (a hammer type and a 3rd down Faulk replacement for when the sad day comes and he retires).

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from carawaydj. Show carawaydj's posts

manowar, you are making the mistake in thinking the difference between winning and losing is a canyon, when in fact it is a fine line.  How is it every year 1-3 teams come out of nowhere and greatly increase their wins.  It's not all due to schedule.  The line between winning and losing is so fine, it explains how a team can go from good to poor when only one key player goes down.  It also explains how one good addition can add a few wins.

We weren't as good as we thought we were when we were winning SB's, and we're not as bad as we think we are now.  We don't need to fill every hole to win the SB next year.  We just have to fill a few of the holes and not let any more holes appear. 

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from patsfaninsatx. Show patsfaninsatx's posts

@manowar....

If I were to vent my frustrations about this team is would sound exactly like whaty you said (typed).  I think those are all pretty accurate when describing the state of this team.  Now as frustrated as I get with the decisions that are being made only Kraft and BB can fix it.

With that being said I will remain optimistic and hope that this team will somehow get better down the line.  But from what I see right now, it doesnt look to good.

Oh, by the way.  I saw every single Pats game this season except the one against JAX.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from croc. Show croc's posts

They need a legit pass rusher.  They have a few more holes on offense (a bruiser RB and a 3rd WR) than D.  Beyond that they need better coaching particularly from the coordinators, more leadership and stronger cohesion. They are much closer to being a powerhouse than an also ran.

Meriweather, Mayo, Warren, Wilfork all very good 1st round picks.  Last year's class: Butler, Chung, Vollmer, Pryor and Edelman all made significant contributions.  My guess is this year they move up to get a pass rusher LB/DE elephant this year.

More guys should be done with 1260 reception yds and 13 TDs.  Moss is what he always been, a down field receiver who can be taken out if they don't have other guys to worry about. They need a tough guy who can run routes opposite him - like Gaffney - rather than shlock.  Edelman is not Welker, but he'll be a solid slot receiver. Get Gaffney plus and the receiving corps are fine.

Please name another organization that has hit better in the draft from about where they draft?  Everyone misses some... like the Jets with Gholston...a horrendous miss.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from arodrambone. Show arodrambone's posts

Think about how good this team was against the Colts for 50+ minutes.

I think BB going for it on 4th and 2, and failing, had a huge psychological effect on this team.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from unclealfie. Show unclealfie's posts

Manowar, you're way off base. The pats are a long way from the disaster you describe. Lest you forget, they've been a playoff team for seven out of the last eight years.

They've been in rebuilding mode this year, after loosing several key players. It happens. They have 4-5 holes to fill in order to be back on top as an elite team. Everyone knows what they are. They can concievably get there in one good draft and FA season, maybe two.

You sound like a fair-weather fan to me. Have a little faith.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from frankdawop. Show frankdawop's posts

Sheesh, You act as if the sky is falling ...

The Pats need:

A pass rusher
    Another cornerback
    Another reciever
    A running back
    Another linebacker

If they had these things this year, we wouldnt be watching other teams in the playoffs right now.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from unclealfie. Show unclealfie's posts

croc; I agree. Every playoff team I watched this weekend had a whole flock of good receivers to throw to. We did once and need to get back there. we need to pick up not one but two or more competent WRs this off season. Maybe that will allow out TEs to become part of our offense again, too. It'll certainly make moss a factor again. He's a HOF receiver and long way from done. 

Letting Gaffney go was a mistake. Letting asante go was a mistake. l hope the powers that be have taken notice of that and don't repeat the same mistakes with fork and mankins.

We have a solid core here, most importantly a QB who's manning's equal when healthy. We only need to upgrade 4-5 spots to be back among the elite teams of the NFL. We all know what they are.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from Jimmy42Jack0. Show Jimmy42Jack0's posts

ding don.g the dynasty is dead :-)...

but in all seriousness...i agree with manowar...the playcalling is atrocious on both sides of the ball...on offense...its the predictably factor...the pats were scariest(and im a phins fan) when it was playaction to a really good back, and then that ball could go to anyone one of 3 rec or a tight end...i think watson is grossly under used and throwing to welker every single time doesnt keep the defense on its heels...if the pats go back to the way they used to do things...they will be super again...but this pass all the time stuff didnt work for the phins in the 80's and it wont work for the pats now

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from ronf. Show ronf's posts

Parcels would say you build the lines first. That gives you a fighting chance. That said, I'd draft a speed edge rusher on the D-line if we go 4-3 or super fast OLB
    ala Lawrence Taylor in a 3-4 defense. either way we need to get pressure on the opposing QB. I think our secondary would immediately look better. I look for Chung to take over the safety position even though I like what I saw from Sanders at the end of the season. Perhaps Merriweather will continue to improve in his ability to read plays. He got burned a few times this season making the wrong read. Butler could step up next season. I watched program during last April's draft where Butler ad several other CBs worked out with Deon Sanders. Butler was your typical kid. Lots of natural talent but no idea what kind of work ethic needed to play p in the NFL. How hard he works this offseason will determine how well he dose in 2010. 
    As for the offense, the Pats can't go into next season without three solid WRs.
    Big offseason for Tate! Can Edelman be durable enough? He'll need to hit the weights!I feel the Pats will need to bring two more WRs. Can anyone say Deon Branch? He would have instant chemistry with Brady. High character guy (low maintenance). Never should have let him leave a few years back. I hope the philosophy going forward is to resign and lock up the young players the Pats draft
    (the guys - that you know can play and fit your system- The Colts and Steelers do this). Power running back is also a must to get back to a balanced offense.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from m1021us. Show m1021us's posts

I love when people come on here prove that they know nothing about football by starting a post like this one......

Belechick's ego.....Oh my, that is a good one!  LOL!

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from IndianaPatsFan. Show IndianaPatsFan's posts

Once again, a lot of the criticism of the team on this post comes from the position of HINDSIGHT!!! I agree that our team is very much in transition, and we may have a couple of rough years ahead of us. But this BS of second guessing every move our team makes AFTER THE FACT is VERY convenient!!!!!