Too much business, too little heart

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from haldager. Show haldager's posts

Too much business, too little heart

Im a Pats fan and I have been for years. However, I think the way they treat great players who have served the organisations for years and even won Super Bowls for them, is too business-like and too cold. What makes a classy organisations is not just how much they win, but also how they take care of their own heroes. Sey and Vrabel both deserved better endings in NE, but instead they were send away like common average players. I think Pats will lose a lot of fans if they keep focusing solely on the business side. People are sports fans with their hearts, their emotions and their souls - and they love their great players. Its the heroes (=players) who makes the stunning plays people want to see and remember. Fans love their heroes and they want their organisation to treat them right. What keeps the NFL running is the emotions and hearts of their fans - not the strategies and business plans!

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from Rocky. Show Rocky's posts

Re: Too much business, too little heart

It is all about winning and making money!

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from Yapple. Show Yapple's posts

"What keeps the NFL running is the emotions and hearts of their fans - not the strategies and business plans!"

That may have been true a long time ago. Not now.
    In Bill We Trust. Go Pats!!

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsSoxCeltsNo1. Show PatsSoxCeltsNo1's posts

Were you crying when they released Lawyer Malloy and lost 31-0 and then won the SuperBowl?

TOOL.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from steve1581. Show steve1581's posts

its a business.

They've said that for years. The players say that. While Richard seymour is pissed and deserves to be pissed deep down, he understands that this is part of the

business

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from Parish-sez. Show Parish-sez's posts

Pro Sports especially football has always been that way. Thats what made Tedy Bruschi walking out the front door so special. NFL coaches are only as good as the present season, as fans we don't have the responsibilities attached to our opinions,coaches livliehood is on the line all the time if they live in the past they maybe coaches in the past tense.Only time will tell there are many variables in deal before we can assess the pros and cons. If there is a rookie cap in 2011 it will be a good financial move. If we thought in order to resign Seymour we'd lose 2-3 other player due to cap restrictions it's a move we had to make. If RS turns Oakland into a contender by 2011 and we get the 30th pick in the first round ouch,I don't see the later happening but you never know.
     I'm thinking as much as we have been dealing with the Raiders lately, usually to our advantage, maybe Al Davis (a Natick native) is a closet Pats fan.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from steve1581. Show steve1581's posts

you mean Al Davis of the "Oakland Patriots"

lol

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from MaritimePatsFan. Show MaritimePatsFan's posts

I definitely feel for the players on this team but you play to win the game as Herm once said. As much as I wanted Seymour to play a few more years here I know this move will work out for the better in a couple of years. I mean if you were Bill and had the chance to improve your team you would do it. If not you could be sitting at home watching the game on Sunday.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from haldager. Show haldager's posts

In Response to Re: Too much business, too little heart:
    [QUOTE]Were you crying when they released Lawyer Malloy and lost 31-0 and then won the SuperBowl? TOOL.
    Posted by PatsSoxCeltsNo1[/QUOTE]

Well I think they would have won with him on the team as well...so thats not relevant.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from agcsbill. Show agcsbill's posts

That's why FANS do not manage or run a team.  Too much "heart" and not enough "business" sense.  If you listen to most players, they all know it is a business, it is not a marriage and until death do they part!

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from BostonBobBlowhard. Show BostonBobBlowhard's posts

If we are playing to win the games, why did we trade our best d-lineman and further weaken our defense?
    If this is about "business", then why jack up the demands for Wilfork now.. His agent is laughing at this one...now we have to sign Wilfork at any price.
    This deal stinks. Maybe in 3 years we will be lucky enough to have one of those superstar high draft pick linemen replace Seymour...like Gaines Adams or Dorsey or Dwayne Robertson. The "can't miss" college d-linemen. Or maybe a Joey Harrington "franchise QB".
    This talk that the trade was a great one for the Pats is making me want to vomit. Where is Yapple? I need a landing area.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from mrtm70. Show mrtm70's posts

[QUOTE]If we are playing to win the games, why did we trade our best d-lineman and further weaken our defense? If this is about "business", then why jack up the demands for Wilfork now.. His agent is laughing at this one...now we have to sign Wilfork at any price. This deal stinks. Maybe in 3 years we will be lucky enough to have one of those superstar high draft pick linemen replace Seymour...like Gaines Adams or Dorsey or Dwayne Robertson. The "can't miss" college d-linemen. Or maybe a Joey Harrington "franchise QB". This talk that the trade was a great one for the Pats is making me want to vomit. Where is Yapple? I need a landing area.
    Posted by BostonBobBlowhard[/QUOTE]

I am a HUGE Seymour fan, but to say he was the best D-Lineman, then I don't know what games you have been watching???

Wilfork is by far our BEST D-Lineman & needs to be get a new contract!!

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from user_1418909. Show user_1418909's posts

I agree it seems like theres alot of buisness involved in sports but its not just the owners and coaches that operate in that vain but so do the players and agents. Seymour was going to look to get paid after this contract was up. Just like Branch and Givens had before. The writing was on the wall for this move. Seymour is constantly hurt now (I think Hobbs comments in a Philly paper this week were directed atr Seymour) and his cap hit is to large for the position he plays and the amount of production he provides on the field in a full season. So I agree in a perfect world all of your fav players would retire with the team they started with but the reality is the dynamics of the league and the greed on the part of the players and agents rarely make this possible.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from flasox. Show flasox's posts

Bob the troll just doesn't get it.  The reason for the deal was to keep Mankins and Wilfolk and get something for Seymour. Wilfolk have no leverage at this time because he will be franchised. Mankins will be an RFA if there is no agreement and Seymour who surely have left for the money will bring a first from a bad team instead of a compensation third. If Bob's team the Jets had any brains instead of people with intelligence of Bob running the team they might have won a Superbowl in the last 40 years.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from Brady2Moss07. Show Brady2Moss07's posts

In Response to Too much business, too little heart:
    [QUOTE]Im a Pats fan and I have been for years. However, I think the way they treat great players who have served the organisations for years and even won Super Bowls for them, is too business-like and too cold. What makes a classy organisations is not just how much they win, but also how they take care of their own heroes. Sey and Vrabel both deserved better endings in NE, but instead they were send away like common average players. I think Pats will lose a lot of fans if they keep focusing solely on the business side. People are sports fans with their hearts, their emotions and their souls - and they love their great players. Its the heroes (=players) who makes the stunning plays people want to see and remember. Fans love their heroes and they want their organisation to treat them right. What keeps the NFL running is the emotions and hearts of their fans - not the strategies and business plans!
    Posted by haldager[/QUOTE]
    Seymour was paid very well for his services so it is hard to feel sorry for him. I am sad he is not on the team and know it will be difficult to uproot his family to the west coast, but it is not about the individual player and never has been in NE w/Belichick, it is about the team and winning. Seymour was going to want a lot of money next year for the Patriots. Would you have rather we kept him this year and let him walk for nothing next year? Pats have a deep defensive line and Belichick must see something in Green, Burgess, Pryor, and Brace that tells him he can still win. Belichick is not giving up Seymour w/the thought he is not going to win without him. Hopefully Wilfork, who is a younger and at this point better player can be resigned. Trust Belichick he knows what he is doing. Al Davis on the other hand is senile and does not have a clue.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from skippyz. Show skippyz's posts

For the most part the days of players playing for one team their entire careers are gone. Free angency has seen to that. Before you get too sad about his departure just remember that in all llikelyhood he was gone at the end of the season to the highest bidder. That is what makes players like Teddy all the more special. As well as those like Brady & Lowell, willing to stay for the love and a little less money.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from markes8336. Show markes8336's posts

Seymour made it an all-business relationship when he held out a few years ago. Don't blame the Pats for continuing the relationship in the same manner. If you want to play for the money, so be it; but then you forfeit the right to complain when you are traded from a winning team to a losing one.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from crasian. Show crasian's posts

You have to be kidding! If you have been a fan you will notice that this defense could not keep up in the clutch in '06 and the '07. Both seasons fell apart in less then 2:30 because our old defense could not stop one last drive! I love all these guys and they will be immortals in this town! But, they can't stay forever. This is why the Pats keep winning. They stick to the plan. Look at Cleveland, Seattle, San Fran etc. They don't win anymore. I don't want NE to be one of those places, those teams!!! It was painful to see Miami convert a 3rd in long in overtime last year and it was again the old defense that couldn't make a play in the clutch. Time to rebuild! It wasn't long ago when people were saying the same about unknowns like Vrable and Seymour!!! Now they are legends, but it's time for new legends to be born!

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from prolate0spheroid. Show prolate0spheroid's posts

No doubt this is hard on Seymour and maybe even hard on Belichick (who I think respects his players more than most people think). But the only way players can earn million-dollar salaries is if the teams take care of the business. And I bet if you gave the players a choice of a "kinder, gentler" league or the big salaries, they'd choose the big salaries every time. Unlike some people, I don't think the players are overpaid--there's big money in the sport and the players who make it possible deserve a big share in that money. But that big money doesn't come without some sacrifices--and one of those sacrifices just might be finding yourself stuck in Oakland for the final year of your multi-million dollar contract. 

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from One-If-By-Sea. Show One-If-By-Sea's posts

[QUOTE]You have to be kidding! If you have been a fan you will notice that this defense could not keep up in the clutch in '06 and the '07. Both seasons fell apart in less then 2:30 because our old defense could not stop one last drive! I love all these guys and they will be immortals in this town! But, they can't stay forever. This is why the Pats keep winning. They stick to the plan. Look at Cleveland, Seattle, San Fran etc. They don't win anymore. I don't want NE to be one of those places, those teams!!! It was painful to see Miami convert a 3rd in long in overtime last year and it was again the old defense that couldn't make a play in the clutch. Time to rebuild! It wasn't long ago when people were saying the same about unknowns like Vrable and Seymour!!! Now they are legends, but it's time for new legends to be born!
    Posted by crasian[/QUOTE]

I keep reading posts about Bruschi, Vrable and Seymour. Bruschi is 36, Vrabel is 34, Seymour is 29. The Pats kept Bruschi, Vrable and now Thomas well into thier 30s. This has nothing to do with "old defense" getting younger. We just signed Burgess and everyone was all excited. How old is Burgess? A - 31 - two years older than Seymour.

Serymour held out and wants the big money. This is not about getting old, losing a step, need for a change, etc. This is about dollars and sense. I am disappointed, disheartened, but Seymour held out when it was a business for him.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from allancrain. Show allancrain's posts

Please watch the Pats -v- Redskins game and you will notice Seymour with the following:
    Running touchdown right over him
    Never got within 4 yards of the quarterback on any rush
    Did not make one tackle
    Was continually stood up at the line and was ineffective.
    When Green played in his place he was effective rushing the QB

You can't keep a player that is ineffective and too tired or injured to perform during the 3rd game of pre-season and pay him $3.6 million.

His previous pay me or play me holdouts, even though he was under contract set the tone for his relationship with the Pats.  Don't cry for him, he got paid.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from tompenny. Show tompenny's posts

It's business. If you watch football it happens all the time. The Pats are one of the few teams right now with Indy and Pitt that has sustained success. Indy and NE mostly from Brady and Manning while the Steelers have a dominate D. You have to make tough decisions to keep yourself in the mix. Let's be honest. Our D is not good and they need to get younger and faster. I'm sure there theory is if Brady is upright then their offense can carry them for a few years while they trying to get into the above average stage with their D. This helps in that regard. It's youth movement time on defense. Everyone should be estatic. We go through are lumps and will likely have sustained playoff berths while other teams a great season is cracking a wildcard spot. Be happy and enjoy it while you can. It will not last forever and when it hits bottom it will be ugly for a while. But we have alot more games to win for some years to come Laughing

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from passedball. Show passedball's posts

In Response to Too much business, too little heart:
    [QUOTE]Im a Pats fan and I have been for years. However, I think the way they treat great players who have served the organisations for years and even won Super Bowls for them, is too business-like and too cold. What makes a classy organisations is not just how much they win, but also how they take care of their own heroes. Sey and Vrabel both deserved better endings in NE, but instead they were send away like common average players.[/QUOTE]

The problem with your statement is that the players that are sent away don't have the skill they once had. They want to be paid for past performance. This seasons games aren't being paid in the past. The reality is that Seymour doesn't play like he once did & will certainly get hurt & miss time again. His injuries have been part of the reason the Patriots have lost playoff games in the near recent path.

The last Boston area player that was paid specifically for past performance was Larry Bird, & as great as he once was, we all know how that deal turned out.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from One-If-By-Sea. Show One-If-By-Sea's posts

[QUOTE]Please watch the Pats -v- Redskins game and you will notice Seymour with the following: Running touchdown right over him Never got within 4 yards of the quarterback on any rush Did not make one tackle Was continually stood up at the line and was ineffective. When Green played in his place he was effective rushing the QB You can't keep a player that is ineffective and too tired or injured to perform during the 3rd game of pre-season and pay him $3.6 million. His previous pay me or play me holdouts, even though he was under contract set the tone for his relationship with the Pats.  Don't cry for him, he got paid.
    Posted by allancrain[/QUOTE]

So Green is better than Seymour? Did you really say that? Really?

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from BostonBobBlowhard. Show BostonBobBlowhard's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Too much business, too little heart : So Green is better than Seymour? Did you really say that? Really?
    Posted by One-If-By-Sea[/QUOTE]

He did say that. Seymour goes through the motions for two series in a meaningless preseason games and these bozoes are calling him washed up. He is 29 and productive. Now we lit a good fire for him to play well in 2009. Burgess is two years older, coming off two lousy years, and is more injury prone". Go figure.