Top 10 Super Bowl Quarterbacks

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsChowder. Show PatsChowder's posts

Top 10 Super Bowl Quarterbacks

This actually started on a message board at Patsfans.com, but you know how message boards can be. Sometimes the opinions can form amongst the community and you get a similar tone from everyone. Someone started listing the top clutch quarterbacks of this era comparing Brady, Manning, and Roethlisberger which Brady won handidly (PatsFans.com).

I started thinking about it in terms of Super Bowls... of all QBs who have won a Super Bowl, who is the best?  Do you rank guys with 1 win ahead of those with multiple? Is it strickly by the numbers (Bradshaw and Montana both at 4-0)?

I tend to believe multiples are better because it shows a track record of success, not just one season (Trent Dilfer); but once you have 2 it doesn't matter how many rings you have.  It also matters if you left any all-time memorable moments on the field. It may only be 2 seconds of football, but those are the moments that people remember for a lifetime.

So, here's my list in detail, but the cliff notes look like this:

1. Joe Montana
    2. Tom Brady
    3. John Elway
    4. Terry Bradshaw
    5. Bart Starr
    6. Troy Aikman
    7. Ben Roethlisberger
    8. Roger Staubach
    9. Bob Griese
    10. Jim Plunkett

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from bubthegrub2. Show bubthegrub2's posts

Re: Top 10 Super Bowl Quarterbacks

While I agree that getting to more than one SB should be considered, I think also you need to weigh in with the individual performances. A guy like Doug Williams only went to one, but his was probably the greatest performance of any. I even think that giving Brady the #2 spot might be a bit generous (though I'd put him at a tie with Montana for the best of all time, maybe). He did have a stellar performance in SB38, and won in a shootout. Two last minute winning drives (albeit only 3 pointers) also has to stand for something. I suppose you really need two separate categories for this question. Montana is #1, no doubt, he always played his best in the big game, and the 92 yard drive against the Bengals was perhaps the greatest in SB history. And in the one SB that Simms won wasn't that the game he went 26/28 and an almost perfect passer rating? He certainly outclassed Elway in that game. Griese might not even make my list, the Dolphins pounded the ball on the ground and had a great defense. He merely managed the game and the clock. Not to take anything away from him, but to include him and leave Williams out seems an injustice, IMO. I'd also rate Big Ben a bit lower (I don't have any relatives who are Steelers fans, though!) as he was great in 43, but they won 40 in spite of him. I also agree that Bradshaw had the best supporting cast, but he always had his best games on the big stage, like Montana. Even Kurt Warner, who is 1-2 played well in all three appearances. Like Brady, those games all came down to the last minute. Unfortunately for Kurt twice it went the wrong way. I'd say Montana, Bradshaw, Brady, Elway, and Aikman would be my top five. I'd have to do a bit more research to fix 6-10, though. either way, all ten of your picks would probably wind up on my top 15, the exception maybe being Griese. Now if Brady had connected with Moss with 30 seconds left last year...I'd have to put him at the top. Even if the defense had stopped the Giants I'd say the same. But there's no use dreaming! I'm hoping Tom has a chance to move up both our lists! That's the great thing about the SB, you see some of the best and also some of the worst performances by QBs.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from Kmaxx. Show Kmaxx's posts

Big Ben at 7 is a stretch.  He was a no show in the game the refs took from Seattle and he was less then impressive in the last one.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from Belenus555. Show Belenus555's posts

[QUOTE]This actually started on a message board at Patsfans.com, but you know how message boards can be. Sometimes the opinions can form amongst the community and you get a similar tone from everyone. Someone started listing the top clutch quarterbacks of this era comparing Brady, Manning, and Roethlisberger which Brady won handidly (PatsFans.com). I started thinking about it in terms of Super Bowls... of all QBs who have won a Super Bowl, who is the best?  Do you rank guys with 1 win ahead of those with multiple? Is it strickly by the numbers (Bradshaw and Montana both at 4-0)? I tend to believe multiples are better because it shows a track record of success, not just one season (Trent Dilfer); but once you have 2 it doesn't matter how many rings you have.  It also matters if you left any all-time memorable moments on the field. It may only be 2 seconds of football, but those are the moments that people remember for a lifetime. So, here's my list in detail, but the cliff notes look like this: 1. Joe Montana 2. Tom Brady 3. John Elway 4. Terry Bradshaw 5. Bart Starr 6. Troy Aikman 7. Ben Roethlisberger 8. Roger Staubach 9. Bob Griese 10. Jim Plunkett
    Posted by PatsChowder[/QUOTE]

It's a good list. However, mine is a bit different:

1. Joe Montana
    2. Terry Bradshaw
    3. Bart Starr
    4. Troy Aikman
    5. Tom Brady
    6. Doug Williams *
    7. Roger Staubach
    8. John Elway
    9. Ben Roethlisberger
    10. Jim Plunkett

* My rankings are based on both performance and winning percentage in the SB. Doug Williams, although only playing in one game, set SB records that still stand - thus, he will be my exception to the "rule" and was included.