Tough Game - D Didn't Do It's Job Today

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from BubbaInHawaii. Show BubbaInHawaii's posts

Tough Game - D Didn't Do It's Job Today

When the offense scores 30 pts, and our D gives up 31 pts - it's hard not to point the finger at the D today. Apart from a poorly called game, the defensive front seven not only could not get to Flacco, but our run D failed at critical times. And, our secondary weakness came back to haunt us again.  McCourty needs to hit the Jugs machine and catch 50 balls after practice.

As far as the offense is concerned, I'm just puzzled as to why they're using Woody so much.  Leave Ridley in as the main back, use Woody once in a while for a change up.

Weird game.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from ccnsd. Show ccnsd's posts

Re: Tough Game - D Didn't Do It's Job Today

The offense couldn't close it (again). The offensive line is putrid in the 4th quarter and the defense gave up most of the good will it earned in weeks one and two. December is more important than September but home field advantage means a lot.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from NY-PATS-FAN4. Show NY-PATS-FAN4's posts

In response to BubbaInHawaii's comment:
    [QUOTE]

When the offense scores 30 pts, and our D gives up 31 pts - it's hard not to point the finger at the D today. Apart from a poorly called game, the defensive front seven not only could not get to Flacco, but our run D failed at critical times. And, our secondary weakness came back to haunt us again.  McCourty needs to hit the Jugs machine and catch 50 balls after practice.

As far as the offense is concerned, I'm just puzzled as to why they're using Woody so much.  Leave Ridley in as the main back, use Woody once in a while for a change up.

Weird game.

[/QUOTE]

Nope, they didn't. But at least acknowledge that on 2 of the Ravens scores, the D had stopped them on 3rd down, only to have the stop overturned by BS penalties.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hog73. Show Hog73's posts

The Pats did fail to close it out late, but I never lost the feeling that even if they had completed a play to convert there would have been a flag in the air to bring it all back.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from mthurl. Show mthurl's posts

Who was the last one on the field...the defense. They didn't close it. Period. The offense picked up a couple of first downs and took a couple of minutes off the clock.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from tcal2-. Show tcal2-'s posts

We need to run more.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from agcsbill. Show agcsbill's posts

The offense went away from what was working on those last two possessions..  plus, the Ravens' D did step up, unlike the Pats D when we needed them to.

8. This post has been removed.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from Schumpeters-Ghost. Show Schumpeters-Ghost's posts

They have the least imaginative defense in the NFL for the 5th consecutive season.

The team desperately needs a D coordinator.  They don't even blitz.  They didn't blitz tonight at all.

Is there any D in the NFL that is easier to prepare for than the New England defense?  They do the same thing every play every week. 

No schemes - no blitzes - no zone blitz - Just the same vanilla rush 4 and drop 7 in coverage EVERY play for FIVE consective seasons.

IT DOES NOT work.  They need a blitz package immediately.  Which we will never get until we get a real defensive coordinator.

10. This post has been removed.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from seattlepat70. Show seattlepat70's posts

i don't buy that. hard for the d to get it done when holds on them are not called - and there were more than that last one when they called the hold on dmc... and they are called for holds that were not. on the last one, they were called for a hold what was supposed to be a sack - despite an offensive hold!

12. This post has been removed.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from magicalhobo. Show magicalhobo's posts

The D was doing great until the refs started getting involved. Once the phantom defensive holding and pass interference calls started the defense all of a sudden couldn't stop a nose bleed. Never mind our defensive line getting tackled on every play or a holding call on spikes when he was getting dragged by the defender.

The D was playing great until all that bs started.

...Or pushing off our cornerbacks for a TD getting called back because the refs were too scared to call back a TD that Smith caught because of his brother

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from NY-PATS-FAN4. Show NY-PATS-FAN4's posts

In response to magicalhobo's comment:
    [QUOTE]

The D was doing great until the refs started getting involved. Once the phantom defensive holding and pass interference calls started the defense all of a sudden couldn't stop a nose bleed. Never mind our defensive line getting tackled on every play or a holding call on spikes when he was getting dragged by the defender.

...Or pushing off our cornerbacks for a TD getting called back because the refs were too scared to call back a TD that Smith caught because of his brother

[/QUOTE]

Ding-ding...we have a winner!!!

15. This post has been removed.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from magicalhobo. Show magicalhobo's posts

In response to JintsFan's comment:
    [QUOTE]

In response to magicalhobo's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

what a s**t thing to say...some of u yahoos are scraping the bottom of the barrel

[/QUOTE]

It might be a s**t thing to say, but the refs are letting things that are outside of the game change their calls. Why do you think the league got on the coaches about intimidating the refs? These guys are scared right now.

17. This post has been removed.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from redsoxfan94. Show redsoxfan94's posts

torrey smith didnt push off on that play, the flag was rightfully picked up.....mccourty got burned all day and missed two easy pic's that could have sealed the game...

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from magicalhobo. Show magicalhobo's posts

In response to JintsFan's comment:
    [QUOTE]

that i can see ur point or even agree. but involving smith and his brother in that was unnecessary -i doubt thats what the refs were thinking and a guys 19 y o bro getting killed is a little bigger than a football game

[/QUOTE]

I feel terrible for Smith, don't get me wrong. I have lost family members in some of the worst ways and I can feel his pain, but I'm not afraid to bring something up if there is a chance that it changed the game. You don't know what the refs were thinking. What we do know is that the league made it known that they are intimidated by outside sources and it's possible that they let that change the play. Yeah, I feel like a horrible person bringing it up, but I don't trust these refs. I commend Smith for playing out of his mind tonight.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from magicalhobo. Show magicalhobo's posts

In response to redsoxfan94's comment:
    [QUOTE]

torrey smith didnt push off on that play, the flag was rightfully picked up.....mccourty got burned all day and missed two easy pic's that could have sealed the game...

[/QUOTE]

I honestly can't remember the entire play, but I recall thinking that it could go either way. I think I have seen more flags picked up with no penalty attached in the last three weeks than I have in my entire life. You would think that the refs would be getting better after three weeks, but they just seem to be getting worse. It's almost as if they are letting the games and coaches get to their heads and influence what they believe they are seeing.

The calls that bugged me the most were the offensive PI on Edelman and all the phantom defensive holding calls. Has anybody ever seen that many defensive holding calls called before? The personal foul penalty on Harbaugh was also pretty bad.

21. This post has been removed.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from BubbaInHawaii. Show BubbaInHawaii's posts

In response to ccnsd's comment:
    [QUOTE]

The offense couldn't close it (again). The offensive line is putrid in the 4th quarter and the defense gave up most of the good will it earned in weeks one and two. December is more important than September but home field advantage means a lot.

[/QUOTE]

Yes, the OL, TE, and RBs had a hard time protecting Brady at times.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from IraqSteve. Show IraqSteve's posts

McCourty sucks period.  He missed 2 easy INT's that were basically in his hands that would have had a huge impact on the game.

The refs were just disgusting in this one.  DMC was guilty on that last PI call though; and picking up the flag for Offense PI in Smith was the correct call.  But all that other BS going on was hands down rediculous.

Not like there are many other options out there to replace DMC, but lets face it.  He had a great rookie season and thats it - and that will always be "just it".  He's too small.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from BubbaInHawaii. Show BubbaInHawaii's posts

But it let's be honest, the bad officiating wasn't the only reason why the Patriots lost. Several previous posters complained about the defensive play calling and not being assertive enough. 

Why aren't we trying to get to the opposing back more often? Before the game, I said that one of the key matchups was Jones vs. Oher. Jones had a quiet night. In the second half, the Ravens had their way - both running and passing (or so it seemed).

Offensively, McDaniels is not the unpredicatable play caller that everyone was hoping for. Why, oh, why is Woody getting so many touches over Ridley?  If you give Ridley a chance to run, catch, and block on a more regular basis - that would probably help a little bit in terms of making it less predicatable as to where the ball will go.

Gronk had to stay back and help block. Why not have a Ridley do that off a play action so that Gronk can catch the ball? Or find a different TE to block and have Gronk catch the ball?