Trade for Andre Johnson

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from rameakap. Show rameakap's posts

Trade for Andre Johnson

He is 32, still highly productive and wants out.

Similar situation to Randy Moss in '07 (he was 30). He won't put up Moss in '07 numbers, but I think for 3 seasons he would perform around the numbers Randy had here in 08/09 (75 rec  1100 yds  10 TD's) and be a better citizen/teammate.

I would think Johnson would restructure his contract in a heartbeat to be a Patriot. 3 years 27.5 million (6.5-10-11) left on it. Not sure how much is guaranteed, but say 18 of that 27.5 is guaranteed $. The Pats giving him like 4 years 24 million with 18 guaranteed could do the trick.

How about Kenbrell and a 3rd rd pick in '14 with a conditional pick in '15 between rounds 2-4 depending on performance? 

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from kansaspatriot. Show kansaspatriot's posts

Re: Trade for Andre Johnson

No thanks

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from rameakap. Show rameakap's posts

I am no cap expert, but the team isn't paying their WR's a lot of money and I'd assume could afford Johnson at like 4.5 - 7.5 - 7.5 - 6 over the next few years. 1 million of that first year would be what comes off the books after Edelman sign elsewhere.

Amendola only makes 3m next year, 2 of which is guaranteed, and after that all his guaranteed cash is done with (except for games played incentives). He will certainly have the nonguaranteed 18 million on the last 3 years of his deal restructured or if he isn't healthy and putting up monster numbers simply be cut.

Dobson (600k) and Boyce (450k) and TJ Moe (assumption he makes team next year and is paid pennies) make practically nothing. Slater makes 1.2m in the last year of his deal. That could be restructed into 2 years at like 800k a year in my opinion.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from rameakap. Show rameakap's posts

Gronk - Johnson - Amendola - Dobson - Boyce - Moe and a day 1 pick used on a TE would make for a pretty devestating group of WR's for Brady.

Keep our own guys, restructure Vince, and the only splash in free agency being C Alex Mack,  who shores up the o-line for the rest of Brady's career and the team will be incredible.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from kansaspatriot. Show kansaspatriot's posts

In response to PhatVirgin's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Let the existing WRs continue to gain experience.  The WR position isn't the greatest need/weakness on the Patriots.

[/QUOTE]

+1

We need to beef up the o-line, get new CBs and LBs

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from Mainer4Pats. Show Mainer4Pats's posts

In response to rameakap's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Similar situation to Randy Moss in '07 (he was 30). He won't put up Moss in '07 numbers, but I think for 3 seasons he would perform around the numbers Randy had here in 08/09 (75 rec  1100 yds  10 TD's) and be a better citizen/teammate.

I would think Johnson would restructure his contract in a heartbeat to be a Patriot. 3 years 27.5 million (6.5-10-11) left on it. Not sure how much is guaranteed, but say 18 of that 27.5 is guaranteed $. The Pats giving him like 4 years 24 million with 18 guaranteed could do the trick.

How about Kenbrell and a 3rd rd pick in '14 with a conditional pick in '15 between rounds 2-4 depending on performance? 

[/QUOTE]

I like Andre Johnson, but I don't think we would want to give up on young developing talent like Kenbrell for someone on the tail end of his career.  Especially, as others have mentioned, wide receiver is not the most glaring need on the team.  They need to beef up both lines IMO.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from rkarp. Show rkarp's posts

In response to Mainer4Pats' comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

I like Andre Johnson, but I don't think we would want to give up on young developing talent like Kenbrell for someone on the tail end of his career.  Especially, as others have mentioned, wide receiver is not the most glaring need on the team.  They need to beef up both lines IMO.

[/QUOTE]

Thompkins will be 26 years old

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from NoMorePensionLooting. Show NoMorePensionLooting's posts

They let him get wide open for criss sakes...did ya see at the end in tight coverage he dropped the ball. I want to see our young guys develop and mature.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from Will-Redd. Show Will-Redd's posts

If we were into giving up the farm for someone from the Texans we would get Watt.  Look at Atlanta or the Polian Colts to get a feel for wise that would be.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from Patsdateam. Show Patsdateam's posts

I'd rather get a DL that doesn't stink

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from agill1970. Show agill1970's posts

I'd be more interested in signing Edleman to half that money, and using the other half toward Talib/Spikes.  WR was a HUGE need for us the beginning of the season, but no longer.  We've got 3 rookies and 2 are shaping up nicely.  We've got Amendola and Edleman as our vets.  I would love to see Johnson on the team too, but not at the expense of signing any one of our big 3 free agents next year as I don't see him as much as a need. 

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from rameakap. Show rameakap's posts

In response to kansaspatriot's comment:
    [QUOTE]

In response to PhatVirgin's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Let the existing WRs continue to gain experience.  The WR position isn't the greatest need/weakness on the Patriots.

[/QUOTE]

+1

We need to beef up the o-line, get new CBs and LBs

[/QUOTE]

I said my #1 free agency priority is C Alex Mack, add him and the rest of the O-line is fine.

I said keep Talib, with Aquib, Dennard, Arrington and Ryan the CB is fine.

I said keep Spikes, Mayo will be back, Hightower needs to drop 15lbs but has yet to reach his ceiling and Collins is going to get WAY better, Fletcher has been solid. Both Nink and Jones drop back and play standing up from time to time. LB is NOT an issue.

So the WR position is going to lose Edelman. There is no reason to pay a guy too similar to Amendola (and Moe). I see a WR like Johnson being a HUGE need for this team next year. Only C, SS and DT are larger ones in my opinion. 5th need would be a backup TE or (if Ridley is dumped) a RB.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from rameakap. Show rameakap's posts

In response to agill1970's comment:
    [QUOTE]

I'd be more interested in signing Edleman to half that money, and using the other half toward Talib/Spikes.  WR was a HUGE need for us the beginning of the season, but no longer.  We've got 3 rookies and 2 are shaping up nicely.  We've got Amendola and Edleman as our vets.  I would love to see Johnson on the team too, but not at the expense of signing any one of our big 3 free agents next year as I don't see him as much as a need. 

[/QUOTE]

Edelman is going to get more than 4 years 12 million. He might even cost as much as Welker got (5m as year) only over 4-5 years like Amendola.

I have said that I would prefer they sign Talib to pretty much doing anything else.

I  would rather sign Alex Mack and/or trade for Andre Johnson than keep Brandon Spikes.

Spikes deserves 4 yrs 16m with like 10 guaranteed. If his price tag goes over 5/22.5 with 12.5m guaranteed I would walk. Shayne Skov and A.J. Johnson are multi-dimensional ILB's who should be around if BB does his classic trade down into the 40-55 range in rd 2. Christian Jones, Yawin Smallwood and Denzel Perryman are all talented ILB's who run stuff AND cover. 1-2 should almost certainly be there when the Pats pick in rd 2. Additionally Hightower has proven to be too slow in coverage and can take over Spikes run-stuffing role (albeit not as good) but likely with more pass rushing ability. 

I have also said I don't think the Patriots can sign Mack and keep both Talib and Spikes unless Vince Wilfork restructures his deal. It would be nice if Mankins and Arrington restructure as well.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from the-redsox-rule. Show the-redsox-rule's posts

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]
    we need help on the d line a lot more than a wr. plus they cant trade for him now anyways. he would be another year older. maybe five years ago but not now.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from rameakap. Show rameakap's posts

In response to the-redsox-rule's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]
    we need help on the d line a lot more than a wr. plus they cant trade for him now anyways. he would be another year older. maybe five years ago but not now.

[/QUOTE]

I obviously mean trade for him next year, despite his age he is still insanely productive and never had a QB like Tom or complementary weapons to take the pressure off him like Gronk and Amendola. 

I obviously also meant as long as the team shores up other more important positions first and has the money, then he is certainly worth Kenbrell and a 3rd. Nowhere did I say 'who needs Talib, spend his money on Andre Johnson'.