Trade Mallett to Cleveland?

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from TexasPat3. Show TexasPat3's posts

Re: Trade Mallett to Cleveland?

In Response to Re: Trade Mallett to Cleveland?:
    [QUOTE]Personally I think Mallett is the future of the Patriots franchise when Brady leaves in a couple years....let him learn the offense, bulk up & fine tune his mechanics under the best QB in the league...build the line in front of him like they are doing as he's a pocket passer like Brady & draft a guy with great hands & BLAIZING speed that Mallet can throw bombs to at any given play... I hope we keep him, he was a steal & QB's with his POTENTIAL along with Brady mentoring him could be unbelievable to watch in a couple more years(or sooner if Brady gets hurt)....
    Posted by dmcpatsfan[/QUOTE]

If Cleveland offered their 37th overall pick for Mallett, would you favor the Pats' trading him?

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from Iceman4. Show Iceman4's posts

trade Hoyer

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from I sat on your toilet. Show I sat on your toilet's posts

Mallett doesn't really fit tthe bill of a Homgrem type QB. No way he gets traded for anything lower than a 3rd rounder. Someone mentioned that he probably won't want to wait for Brady to retire and I agree if Brady plays until he's 39 or 40 like he said he wants to then Mallet will be about 28 by the time he gets the starting gig.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from TexasPat3. Show TexasPat3's posts

[QUOTE]Mallett doesn't really fit tthe bill of a Homgrem type QB.

RESPONSE: I thought this, too. But, if Holmgren is interested in Brandon Weeden, as has been reported...Weeden is somewhat similar to Mallett. I felt that Michigan State's Kirk Cousins would be a better fit for a West Coast system. 

No way he gets traded for anything lower than a 3rd rounder.

RESPONSE: No way he gets traded for anything less than a 2nd rounder...unless BB has already made up his mind that Mallett doesn't have it.

Someone mentioned that he probably won't want to wait for Brady to retire and I agree if Brady plays until he's 39 or 40 like he said he wants to then Mallet will be about 28 by the time he gets the starting gig.

RESPONSE: BB has already shown that he'll go with whoever is the better player...just as he did when he kept Brady over Drew Bledsoe.
    Posted by I sat on your toilet[/QUOTE]

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from FishTaco64. Show FishTaco64's posts

A 3rd round pick that has never taken a regular season snap for the 4th overall pick? I'd grab that and never look back. But if Holmgren did that, he would be out of a job real fast.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from kansaspatriot. Show kansaspatriot's posts

[QUOTE]Mallett will be our QB when Tom retires.
    Posted by rainbowroosie[/QUOTE]

Doubt it. And neither will Hoyer

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from TexasPat. Show TexasPat's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Trade Mallett to Cleveland? : Doubt it. And neither will Hoyer
    Posted by kansaspatriot[/QUOTE]

A very cynical view, indeed. Hope you're wrong. 

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from dmcpatsfan. Show dmcpatsfan's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Trade Mallett to Cleveland? :      If Cleveland offered their 37th overall pick for Mallett, would you favor the Pats' trading him?
    Posted by TexasPat3[/QUOTE]

I would not trade Mallett for Clevelands 37th pick but I would trade Hoyer for it

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from bnoaton. Show bnoaton's posts

In Response to Trade Mallett to Cleveland?:
    [QUOTE]I wonder.  Cleveland could use a QB as I don't think Holmgren is sold on McCoy totally.  Mallett is a legit 1st Rounder that now has a year of learning a complex system under his belt. He's big and has a rocket arm.  We send Mallett to the Browns. Draft Richardson. Or, we could trade that 4 spot for a later 1st rounder and a 2nd rounder. Question is does Cleveland see the need to get Mallett as a better upgrade than McCoy with Richardson?  You don't build a team around a RB. You do that around a QB and Mallett could be a big time QB and an obvious upgrade over McCoy.  The Patriots locked up Hoyer. I don't see Mallett as someone that will want to wait until Brady retires.  I know, I know, everyone's an expert before the draft. We all get caught up in the what if's and such. Myself included. I guess I can't help myself. I imagine Richardson in a Patriots uniform and I get aroused. I admit it.  If we did something like this which, in all honesty, I highly doubt, the possibilities are huge. Like I said, we could trade that #4 for more picks and Richardson would command premium picks. Now, I like Mallett. I believe the Patriots got a steal in him. But, are we going to pay him, Hoyer and Brady? Beause Mallett will want a deal soon enough. I can't see BB keeping 3 QB's on the roster that cost that much.  I say deal him now. The draft is thin at QB and teams are hungery for a big QB. Mallett could well be the number 2 pick in this year's draft or at least #3.  What say ye? 
    Posted by mrbungle[/QUOTE]
    No Mallet has a legit chance to be a star in this league Brady is winding down which is why they are out signiong all these free agents for 1 last run at it. Keep the kid much like /greenbay did with rodgers

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from GoUconn13. Show GoUconn13's posts

I think that is a great idea. But like most people say, Holmgren is not a stupid guy!!!  Anyway, I strongly think that Cleveland is going to keep their pick and use it to draft either Richardson or Tannehill.  If they draft Richardson, at the same time the third best QB is still available at the #22 pick, they will draft him. If all three QB's are taken before Cleveland #22 pick, I am sure Cleveland could try to talk to the Patriots organization about getting Hoyer or Mallet for a draft pick.  I doubt that they will trade their #22 pick for an unproven starting QB from the Patriots.

It is more likely Cleveland will trade their second round pick for either Mallet or Hoyer which that is my best guess!!

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from ShiningWizard. Show ShiningWizard's posts

I could see Hoyer getting traded to Cleveland, perhaps for a swap of 3rd round picks this year and the Browns' 2nd next year.  Hoyer's from Cleveland and played high school football at St. Ignatius in Cleveland.  If Holmgren was looking for a QB that could run a West Coast type offense I think Hoyer would be a great fit, and I'm sure Hoyer wouldn't mind this move either. 

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from MoreRings. Show MoreRings's posts

[QUOTE]What you need to get some team to give up anything for a backup QB is one of your former executives or coaches leading that team.  Unfortunately for the Patsies, the NFL has tired of the failures of Bill's guys ruining teams all around the league.... Crennel, Mangini, Pioli, McDaniels.  It would only be fair when talking about Bill's success to include all of his protege's failures.
    Posted by JetMangione[/QUOTE]

The reason they failed is because they are not that good.  Bill runs the
    team and he made them good.  Bottom line BB is great, these guys
    not so much.

You should know about backup QB's, your team has 2 of them!

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from MoreRings. Show MoreRings's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Trade Mallett to Cleveland? : Newsflash genius, most teams have 2 backup QBs. 

Yes you are right, the Pats do as well.

Newsflash, we also have a starting QB.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from pcmIV. Show pcmIV's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Trade Mallett to Cleveland? : Let's try to figure out what your point is..... perhaps you think that the QB that had his team in the in the final 4 in his fist two years in the NFL, has improved every year, has 10 4th quarter wins, 4 playoff wins, played his best in the playoffs and has suddenly become a backup QB? 

I didn't realize setting a career high in turnovers or a career low in yards per attempt qualifies as improvement.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from MoreRings. Show MoreRings's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Trade Mallett to Cleveland? : Let's try to figure out what your point is..... perhaps you think that the QB that had his team in the in the final 4 in his fist two years in the NFL, has improved every year, has 10 4th quarter wins, 4 playoff wins, played his best in the playoffs and has suddenly become a backup QB? 

perhaps you think

I think?  Check your local papers, everyone is wondering.

So you are sticking with Sanchez.  Do you not think there will
    be some controversy regarding the QB position this year?

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from MoreRings. Show MoreRings's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Trade Mallett to Cleveland? : Yes, let's allow newspapers decide who starts and who doesn't.  That's brilliant!  I could not care less about a perceived controversy. 

The Newspapers won't decide, they just want to know who is the better fit
    in New Jersey.

Everyone wants to know.

Thought you might be able to provide some incite.  I guess not.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from fl+adam,. Show fl+adam,'s posts

Any chance anyone thinks we could trade up for 27 or 31 to 22.  If we could get up for Barron with one of those picks and then pick the best remaining DE/OLB with the other I think I like our chances next year....I might be willing to trade Hoyer plus 31 to get number 22...what does that value Hoyer at on the "draft pick scale"

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from MoreRings. Show MoreRings's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Trade Mallett to Cleveland? : Which will be the better fit?  How about the QB that can complete more than 50% of his passes?  How about the QB that won 30 some games his first three years?  Tebow is a great addition for the Jets, he improves the team.  Denver never should have traded him, especially not for the bag of peanut they got in return.  He's just not a starting NFL QB.  He has done nothing to prove otherwise.

How many wins did Tebow have?  Won a playoff game his first year as
    a starter?

Not bad. 

Wont he have to play to be a "great addition?"

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from MoreRings. Show MoreRings's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Trade Mallett to Cleveland? : 8 wins including the playoffs.  Yeah, not bad. He will play in NY.  I didn't say otherwise. 

How much and when do you think he plays?

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from MoreRings. Show MoreRings's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Trade Mallett to Cleveland? : Around 15 snaps per game including ST. Offensively, more often inside the 20, occasionally on the field at the same time as Sanchez and depending upon the team the Jets are facing, as a WC QB for a few plays in a row. 

How do you think the WC will work with Tebow in for "a few plays in a row".

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from TexasPat3. Show TexasPat3's posts

[QUOTE]Any chance anyone thinks we could trade up for 27 or 31 to 22.  If we could get up for Barron with one of those picks and then pick the best remaining DE/OLB with the other I think I like our chances next year....I might be willing to trade Hoyer plus 31 to get number 22...what does that value Hoyer at on the "draft pick scale"
    Posted by fl+adam,[/QUOTE]

Barron won't escape the top 20.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from MoreRings. Show MoreRings's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Trade Mallett to Cleveland? : Slightly better than it worked for Brad Smith, which was pretty good.  Smith was a below average WR who could run on the outside with success.  Tebow is a below average QB (yet can throw a lot better than Smith) who can run well on the inside, likely resulting in fewer busted plays which was an occasional problem with Brad Smith.

"pretty good" Hmmmm. 

So why would the Jets take out a guy "who completed 50% of his passes and
    "won more than 30 games in his first 3 years" for a guy who "is a below
    average QB" for 10-15 plays a game.

Don't you think NFL D's will shut this gimmick down over a 16 game season?

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from MoreRings. Show MoreRings's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Trade Mallett to Cleveland? : 1) I misspoke - Brad Smith was very good.  2) Don't put words into my mouth.  Why are you quoting things that I did not post? FYI, quotation marks are for EXACT quotes.  And Tebow in the game does not necessarily mean Sanchez out of the game. 3) Why use Tebow at all?  Because he improves the offense. It helps the running game, the passing game and gives opposing defense something else to prepare for. 4) The WC is not a gimmick, it is style of play.  It either works or does not work. If it is your primary offense, it works less.  If it is a part of your offense and you have the right personnel, it work fine.  

Sorry about the quotes, I was in a rush.  Thought I was pretty close.
    I think you understood what i meant.

Got any stats to prove Brad Smith was very good?

If Tebow was brought in to run the WC doesnt that make it his
    primary offense?

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from ROWDYRODRUST. Show ROWDYRODRUST's posts

[QUOTE]Mallett will be our QB when Tom retires.
    Posted by rainbowroosie[/QUOTE]

God I hope that you are wrong.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from MoreRings. Show MoreRings's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Trade Mallett to Cleveland? : His primary offense is not the same as the Jets primary offense.   Brad Smith's approximate 3 year rushing average was a 10 ypc.

The point is nfl defenses will figure out what Tebow is doing very quickly,
    making him ineffective.

How many games did the Jets win with BS running the WC?