Trade Matt Light

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from dx7. Show dx7's posts

Trade Matt Light

I hope this has not been posted already, I did a quick scan of the board and did not see it. 

How does this sound?

The Pats trade Light to KC for a mid round pick( sorry folks that's best we will get for Light). KC needs an experienced effective left tackle. Vollmer is the real deal Light is expendable. We have depth with Connolly and Kazcur both able to play LT. And the Levoir can play LT or RT. Light's salary comes off of the books and we get another prospect in a very deep 2010 draft!

-- dx

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from ewhite1065. Show ewhite1065's posts

Re: Trade Matt Light

In Response to Trade Matt Light:
    [QUOTE]I hope this has not been posted already, I did a quick scan of the board and did not see it.  How does this sound? The Pats trade Light to KC for a mid round pick( sorry folks that's best we will get for Light). KC needs an experienced effective left tackle. Vollmer is the real deal Light is expendable. We have depth with Connolly and Kazcur both able to play LT. And the Levoir can play LT or RT. Light's salary comes off of the books and we get another prospect in a very deep 2010 draft! -- dx
    Posted by dx7[/QUOTE]

Considering the trade deadline has past it won't happen this year. You gotta realize he doesn't have much value either on the trade market. I'd be surprised if we could do any better than say a 6th round pick if we did trade them. Offensive lineman don't command much in trade value. He's also aging and damaged goods right now. He can still contribute to the Patriots and knows the blocking scheme here so I would say the likely result is Light sliding to another slot on the line.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from TheFantasyBaron. Show TheFantasyBaron's posts

[QUOTE] Vollmer is the real deal Light is expendable.

Matt Light has one more year on his contract right?
    I would try and see if Vollmer can play the right tackle spot and have both sides of the line anchored by studs.  Why trade him if he's going into a contract year? They already have his replacement in Vollmer and they may be able to get another good lineman in the draft. Like you said he would only be worth a mid round draft pick.

I don't think he is through or isn't good or anything like that. The Pats would be fortunate to find a way to start him and Vollmer.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from Harleyroadking99. Show Harleyroadking99's posts

Make a right tackle out of him. Kaczar is the weak link.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from prolate0spheroid. Show prolate0spheroid's posts

If Light is back Sunday, watch for him at right tackle and don't be surprised if Kaczur moves over to right guard since Neal is hurt.  I like a line with Vollmer and Mankins on the left side and Light and Kaczur on the left.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from MVPKilla2009. Show MVPKilla2009's posts

Matt Light would make one heck of a RT so no way should we trade him. He knows the system he knows the QB and he was here for all 3 championships and has the experience to pass down to young guys. You dont throw that away for some BS mid round draft pick. Move him to RT and make Kazcur a back up. Kazcur would be a top of the line back up with all his playing time and Light would be a very good RT.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from sodiumpentothal. Show sodiumpentothal's posts

In Response to Re: Trade Matt Light:
    [QUOTE]Matt Light would make one heck of a RT so no way should we trade him. He knows the system he knows the QB and he was here for all 3 championships and has the experience to pass down to young guys. You dont throw that away for some BS mid round draft pick. Move him to RT and make Kazcur a back up. Kazcur would be a top of the line back up with all his playing time and Light would be a very good RT.
    Posted by MVPKilla2009[/QUOTE]

I agree, move Light to RT.  We need to protect TB's "blindside".  Where is Sandra Bulloch when you need her LOL.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from themightypatriotz. Show themightypatriotz's posts

Pretty sure they already tried Light at RT way back when and it didn't work.  Apparently RT is a different skill set and there aren't many who can play both (but Vollmer and even Kaczur can). 

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from MVPKilla2009. Show MVPKilla2009's posts

Mighty when did they try him at RT? I dont remember that.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from themightypatriotz. Show themightypatriotz's posts

I don't know, somebody on here said they did it once.  Don't you believe everything you read on the internet?

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from MVPKilla2009. Show MVPKilla2009's posts

m

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from MVPKilla2009. Show MVPKilla2009's posts

hahahaha no I dont hahaha so you dont know for sure that he cant play RT?

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from 49Patriots. Show 49Patriots's posts

Matt has 4 mill on his contract next year, hard to see Belichick keeping him when he can get some picks out of him. 

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from themightypatriotz. Show themightypatriotz's posts

[QUOTE]hahahaha no I dont hahaha so you dont know for sure that he cant play RT?
    Posted by MVPKilla2009[/QUOTE]

Fine.  I made it up.  Happy?

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from prolate0spheroid. Show prolate0spheroid's posts

I think Matt Light played a little RT in the Buffalo game if I remember right.  In most schemes, the RT is more of a run blocker and the LT more of a pass blocker, but I'm not sure Light can't run block--and we're such a pass happy team anyway, he's going to be pass blocking most of time no matter what.

UPDATE: Just listened to Belichick's press conference today. He doesn't seem to think Light's all that good at RT. Maybe BB will move Vollmer to the right, but I think it's more likely he moves Light to the back-up role. Top LTs are hard to find and I bet BB is looking to groom Vollmer to be the LT of the future.  If he moves him to the right it's temporary and probably just to help him get more versatile.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from flip781. Show flip781's posts

[QUOTE]I hope this has not been posted already, I did a quick scan of the board and did not see it.  How does this sound? The Pats trade Light to KC for a mid round pick( sorry folks that's best we will get for Light). KC needs an experienced effective left tackle. Vollmer is the real deal Light is expendable. We have depth with Connolly and Kazcur both able to play LT. And the Levoir can play LT or RT. Light's salary comes off of the books and we get another prospect in a very deep 2010 draft! -- dx
    Posted by dx7[/QUOTE] The move should be to move that human turnstyle Kaszur inside and move Light over to right tackle..... Kaszur's feet are far too slow to be on the outside with any good defensive end !!!

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from K-max. Show K-max's posts

"In most schemes, the RT is more of a run blocker and the LT more of a pass blocker"

Huh.
    So then, what does the LT do on running plays?

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from prolate0spheroid. Show prolate0spheroid's posts

Well of course they both have to pass block and run block at an NFL level, but most teams put their best pass blocker on the quarterback's blind side (left side for a right-handed QB)--and maybe more importantly choose their LT primarily for his pass blocking skills and don't worry quite so much if he's a top level run blocker. The RT has to be able to pass block too, but he's often chosen specifically for his run blocking skills since a lot of teams use the right side as their strong side (and a lot of defenses put their best run defenders on that side of the field too).  

Read this for an analysis from someone who plays the position:

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from ewhite1065. Show ewhite1065's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Trade Matt Light : Fine.  I made it up.  Happy?
    Posted by themightypatriotz[/QUOTE]

That's funny..And not a bad Idea. If I make something up and post it enough times eventually it will become true and I'll have plenty of people to back me up on it because they all heard it too.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from shenanigan. Show shenanigan's posts

I'm not an expert in trade value but here are some interesting facts-
    The NFL's highest paid position:

1. Quarterback
    2. Left Tackle

Matt light went to the Pro Bowl in 2007 and 2008.  He is probably one of the most valuable players on the team.  He has the second highest salary on the Pats and is the fourth largest salary cap hit (behind Brady, Moss, and Thomas).

Matt Lights 2008 salary= 3.75 mil
    Ochocinco 2008 salary=  3.00 mil

It seems that discovering a star left tackle is every bit as valuable as discovering a star WR.  In terms of trade value I don't see why he wouldn't have more value than Cassel last year.  And that is why the hoodie can go for a 4th and 2 whenever he wants.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from ewhite1065. Show ewhite1065's posts

[QUOTE]I'm not an expert in trade value but here are some interesting facts- The NFL's highest paid position: 1. Quarterback 2. Left Tackle Matt light went to the Pro Bowl in 2007 and 2008.  He is probably one of the most valuable players on the team.  He has the second highest salary on the Pats and is the fourth largest salary cap hit (behind Brady, Moss, and Thomas). Matt Lights 2008 salary= 3.75 mil Ochocinco 2008 salary=  3.00 mil It seems that discovering a star left tackle is every bit as valuable as discovering a star WR.  In terms of trade value I don't see why he wouldn't have more value than Cassel last year.  And that is why the hoodie can go for a 4th and 2 whenever he wants.
    Posted by shenanigan[/QUOTE]

Not a chance..Teams don't spend top draft picks for O-Lineman.They just don't. He's an aging lineman that now has knee problems and gets burned by speed rushers far too often. I personally want to keep the guy because he knows our system and we won't get anything for him.I'm quite sure Belichick likes him and from what I hear out of Brady he'd take a bullet for him too.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from shenanigan. Show shenanigan's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Trade Matt Light : Not a chance..Teams don't spend top draft picks for O-Lineman.They just don't. He's an aging lineman that now has knee problems and gets burned by speed rushers far too often. I personally want to keep the guy because he knows our system and we won't get anything for him.I'm quite sure Belichick likes him and from what I hear out of Brady he'd take a bullet for him too.
    Posted by ewhite1065[/QUOTE]
    In this year's draft the Bills traded left tackle Jason Peters to the Eagles for thier 28th overall pick and a 4th rd pick and a 2010 undisclosed late draft pick.  Not the same thing but I think it shows teams value left tackles.

Like I said I'm not a trade expert.  Matt Cassel and Vrabel together got a 2nd rd draft pick.  So when I say he may have more trade value I don't see that as a particularly high standard. 
    I don't necessarily agree with your assessment of Lights talent but I  think we could agree that his trade value would be based upon whether the money he is getting paid matches what he is worth.  That is what hurt Cassel's trade value, if he were still under his rookie contract he probably could have drawn a 1st rd draft pick. 
    The main point I was trying to make about Light's value is that even if they were to trade him for a jelly donut the difference in Vollmer and Lights salary cap hit for 2010 is about 4 million.  A 4 million dollar salary cap difference is enough to sign a big free agent.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from Rodimus77. Show Rodimus77's posts

I agree. Get rid of this dead weight by either a trade or just cut hm. This dude is a turn style who gets owned by every pass rushing DE in the league (Freeney, Umenyiora, ect. ect.). This has been a move that is a couple of years too late. If we can only get a mid round or later draft pick from some team that is stupid enough to bite then so be it, but this guy along with his twin brother (Casualty Kazcur) have got to go. Period. Lets not forget about their p!ss poor performances in the Superbowl!

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from Rodimus77. Show Rodimus77's posts

[QUOTE]I'm not an expert in trade value but here are some interesting facts- The NFL's highest paid position: 1. Quarterback 2. Left Tackle Matt light went to the Pro Bowl in 2007 and 2008.  He is probably one of the most valuable players on the team.  He has the second highest salary on the Pats and is the fourth largest salary cap hit (behind Brady, Moss, and Thomas). Matt Lights 2008 salary= 3.75 mil Ochocinco 2008 salary=  3.00 mil It seems that discovering a star left tackle is every bit as valuable as discovering a star WR.  In terms of trade value I don't see why he wouldn't have more value than Cassel last year.  And that is why the hoodie can go for a 4th and 2 whenever he wants.
    Posted by shenanigan[/QUOTE]
    Do you honestly believe that he deserved those Pro Bowl invitations? Even in 2007? The fact that both himself, Koppen and even Mankins decided to except those invitations after their no-shows in the Superbowl still mind boggles me to this day. 

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from mosseffect43. Show mosseffect43's posts

[QUOTE]I think Matt Light played a little RT in the Buffalo game if I remember right.  In most schemes, the RT is more of a run blocker and the LT more of a pass blocker, but I'm not sure Light can't run block--and we're such a pass happy team anyway, he's going to be pass blocking most of time no matter what. UPDATE: Just listened to Belichick's press conference today. He doesn't seem to think Light's all that good at RT. Maybe BB will move Vollmer to the right, but I think it's more likely he moves Light to the back-up role. Top LTs are hard to find and I bet BB is looking to groom Vollmer to be the LT of the future.  If he moves him to the right it's temporary and probably just to help him get more versatile.
    Posted by soloflyfisher[/QUOTE]kaczur is the weakest link.he is the one who needs to go,and Light will fill in nicely at the RT spot. nobody on the line can runblock well.the line is set for protecting the pass.if brady is passing,your not gonna have the LT spot pass block,and the RT try and run block.they all will be protecting the pass.if its a run play,they will all try and open up the running lanes.