Troy Brown: Same Refrain You Are Hearing From a Number of Us Here: Be Aggressive, Because Playing Soft Isn't Working

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from bredbru. Show bredbru's posts

Re: Troy Brown: Same Refrain You Are Hearing From a Number of Us Here: Be Aggressive, Because Playing Soft Isn't Working

In response to zbellino's comment:
    [QUOTE]

In response to TripleOG's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Z, I didnt watch the vid but if its the SB 42, Ive seen it many times. The only sellout blitz (cover zero) was the last play that Hobbs got burnt for the TD by Burress. We were pressuring Manning the whole drive without blitzing the house. It was A.D's best game rushing and he was all over Manning. This is why it was very dumb to call a cover zero blitz from the 10 yard line when we already getting pressure without that. So to me that vid. doesnt prove the point you are trying to make. That was a desperate situation, end of game SB where u have to try anything but weve never blitzed like that post Crennel era. D.Peas was bltiz happy but never at the right time. That was the single most worst play call of his career and BB was noticable upset with him most of that game. No surprise he was shown the door after that. All I want are a few timely 3rd down blitzes. No major changes...

[/QUOTE]

I'm of the school of thought: more 'timely' 3rd down blitzes would equal more broken 6 point plays. I see the talent NE has back there. 

I wouldn't be leaving these kids on an island. 

I'm on the record saying this many time though. 

[/QUOTE]

thanks for weighing in. 

in my eyes they are gvieing up td bombs and 20 plus yard passes at will. id errr with soem pressure on the wr and the qb. 

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from bredbru. Show bredbru's posts

Re: Troy Brown: Same Refrain You Are Hearing From a Number of Us Here: Be Aggressive, Because Playing Soft Isn't Working

In response to PatsEng's comment:
    [QUOTE]

I'm with Babe on this one. The blitz was working and would have gotten to Manning or at least flushed him if they had just a second more but Hobbs tripping over his own two feet was what caused the TD, not the blitz.

I also remember that drive well and they were sending 3-5 players everytime. Hardly what I'd call all out blitz but who cares that D is drastically different then this one. It's like comparing apples to hooting owls at this point.

It's all about balance (I know people hate that word and have a hard time understanding it) but right now the Pats are the lowest % team in sending 5+ players in the league. They are sending them around 20% of the time. I don't expect them to send them on every play but knock that up to 30-40% and we are talking. Additionally how many 4th quarter drives do we see the Pats drop 8 and rush 3 and just give up one play after another? If I touch a hot stove I'm not going to touch it again repeatedly. That's what the Pats are doing. BB seems scared to death of giving up big plays yet we give up more big plays in the 4th then any other team in the league. When something that's meant to prevent big plays is actually causing them in more frequency are you afraid of giving up even more? It's time to be aggressive like in the StL game and just close things out. It's actually funny, the only times they appear to be aggressive to close out games is when they have a huge lead. But, there biggest issues tend to come when they are trying to hold a lead and become conservative on both sides of the ball

[/QUOTE]

"Additionally how many 4th quarter drives do we see the Pats drop 8 and rush 3 and just give up one play after another"

bruatal to watch. like dying very slowly.

"When something that's meant to prevent big plays is actually causing them in more frequency are you afraid of giving up even more? It's time to be aggressive like in the StL game and just close things out. It's actually funny, the only times they appear to be aggressive to close out games is when they have a huge lead. But, there biggest issues tend to come when they are trying to hold a lead and become conservative on both sides of the ball"

nailed it. thats what people like us are saying

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from agcsbill. Show agcsbill's posts

The Pats aren't trying to win games to impress the fans.  As far as any NFL team is concerned, a W is a heck a lot better than the L whether it was a pretty victory or not.  Seems many fans and posters here constantly look for nothing but "pretty" and dominating wins, anything less the Pats stink!

I recall last season, all we ever heard was the D s*cks and the Pats will NEVER go deep in the playoffs, let alone get to the SB with the way the D was playing.  Lo and behold it they got there.  Look at the Giants, would call their 2011 season pretty?  Most likely not, but, they'll take that Lombardi all the way to the bank with an ugly season any day.  

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from TexasPat. Show TexasPat's posts

In response to bredbru's comment:
    [QUOTE]

my refrain, man press talib and dennard, bring some heat on the qbs

spikes keep doin what you're doin

tackle better as a team

no 4th quarter comebacks. play aggressive.

josh work on the timng of your calls in key situations and 4th quarter

[/QUOTE]

Troy Brown said that? Gee, you don't say. I guess the homers are going to start ganging up on Troy now for being critical of the Patriots....LOL!!!

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from bredbru. Show bredbru's posts

In response to TexasPat's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

my refrain, man press talib and dennard, bring some heat on the qbs

spikes keep doin what you're doin

tackle better as a team

no 4th quarter comebacks. play aggressive.

josh work on the timng of your calls in key situations and 4th quarter

[/QUOTE]

Troy Brown said that? Gee, you don't say. I guess the homers are going to start ganging up on Troy now for being critical of the Patriots....LOL!!!

[/QUOTE]

:)

he said the part of how the secondary should play

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from bredbru. Show bredbru's posts

In response to mthurl's comment:
    [QUOTE]

I heard the Troy Brown interview, what I got out of it was that he - for the most part - thinks it's a player issue, rather than scheme. He thinks these guy just don't get it - that there isn't a scheme in the world that puts three linebackers standing next to eachother while the tightend or receiver is wide open to their left. The players just aren't very good footbal players...sometimes it's just that simple. 

[/QUOTE]

see what hes sayingin these 2

http://www.csnne.com/football-new-england-patriots/patriots-talk/Troys-advice-for-Pats-D-Be-aggressive-be?blockID=802101&feedID=10426

http://www.csnne.com/football-new-england-patriots/patriots-talk/Curran-Brown-discuss-the-cornerback-situ?blockID=802099&feedID=10426

i see the one you are talking about about. yes we need better coverage by lbs. (and in my mind, to keep talib if he stays st8 like he has been for a yr (outside of adderall) and continue to improve our personnel in the secondary.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from mthurl. Show mthurl's posts

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

I heard the Troy Brown interview, what I got out of it was that he - for the most part - thinks it's a player issue, rather than scheme. He thinks these guy just don't get it - that there isn't a scheme in the world that puts three linebackers standing next to eachother while the tightend or receiver is wide open to their left. The players just aren't very good footbal players...sometimes it's just that simple. 

[/QUOTE]

sounds like a different interview than the one im referencing.

the first 2 after the game he was saying what ive been saynig here all year. check out the older interviews on csnne after the game

[/QUOTE]
    t was the weei interview on Monday. I do recall him talking about how when he played how much more agressive they would play it, but he also supported the coaches more (in my opinion) than the players. I thought he was talking more along the lines of...there's no way the coaches would have them play that way if they were better players, etc. Could be wrong...it's happened before :)

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from bredbru. Show bredbru's posts

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

sounds like a different interview than the one im referencing.

the first 2 after the game he was saying what ive been saynig here all year. check out the older interviews on csnne after the game

[/QUOTE]
    t was the weei interview on Monday. I do recall him talking about how when he played how much more agressive they would play it, but he also supported the coaches more (in my opinion) than the players. I thought he was talking more along the lines of...there's no way the coaches would have them play that way if they were better players, etc. Could be wrong...it's happened before :)

[/QUOTE]

:)

see the 2 i just pasted above. 

the opposite.

they need to play aggressive. the soft zone is getting burned at will..... etc etc

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from zbellino. Show zbellino's posts

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

Z, I didnt watch the vid but if its the SB 42, Ive seen it many times. The only sellout blitz (cover zero) was the last play that Hobbs got burnt for the TD by Burress. We were pressuring Manning the whole drive without blitzing the house. It was A.D's best game rushing and he was all over Manning. This is why it was very dumb to call a cover zero blitz from the 10 yard line when we already getting pressure without that. So to me that vid. doesnt prove the point you are trying to make. That was a desperate situation, end of game SB where u have to try anything but weve never blitzed like that post Crennel era. D.Peas was bltiz happy but never at the right time. That was the single most worst play call of his career and BB was noticable upset with him most of that game. No surprise he was shown the door after that. All I want are a few timely 3rd down blitzes. No major changes...

[/QUOTE]

I'm of the school of thought: more 'timely' 3rd down blitzes would equal more broken 6 point plays. I see the talent NE has back there. 

[/QUOTE]

thanks for weighing in. 

in my eyes they are gvieing up td bombs and 20 plus yard passes at will. id errr with soem pressure on the wr and the qb. 

[/QUOTE]

And many of those are when they are sending extra men. 

Why is it assumed that they aren't?

The "soft" problem is when teams drain thema nd go on long, time consuming drives. 

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from bredbru. Show bredbru's posts

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

thanks for weighing in. 

[/QUOTE]

The "soft" problem is when teams drain thema nd go on long, time consuming drives. 

[/QUOTE]

"Why is it assumed that they aren't?"

becasue you can see the double "coverage" gettign beat for  50 yards and a td

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from coolade2. Show coolade2's posts

[QUOTE]

In response to coolade2's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

I heard it too. Dont try convincing anyone here we need to be agressive. They all think they know more than ex players who actually played and won championships...lol

you know what, Ive been saying since 05' that this defense is better when its agressive and awful when we are passive. Still holds true!  Good thing we have # 12

[/QUOTE]

Right.  It messes with your philosophy.  Look at BB when he says he doesn't care if they win by running 60 times throwing 60 times , etc. 

I totally believe him.  You could see it on the field after the buffalo game in his expression.  He was genuinely happy.  They won the game ,period.

Meanwhile fans are stressed out.

Same goes for the defense... He doesn't care about putting on some kind of show or answering critics.  He just tries to manage the game as it plays out.  His expression hardly changes.  The wheels are spinning like... Ok we can exchange possessions, who cares about yards, use up clock, we win.

[/QUOTE]

would it have been who cares if the wr didnt run the wrong route?

[/QUOTE]

Yeah the philosophy ain't perfect, as we are painfully aware.  makes you wonder though.  Like can we be less linear...?  Is the BB doctrine/ blueprint / philosophy so played, and so demonstrated that this team is now predictable...?  This is a frustrating possibility...

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from zbellino. Show zbellino's posts

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

thanks for weighing in. 

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

I really have not seen a 50 yard TD pass over the top of a safety that was on his side. 

Maybe I am just not recalling it. 

But I do not. 

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from sporter81. Show sporter81's posts

I wish they would be more aggressive too. They have been at their best when turning up the pressure. Teams like the Steelers are always good on defense, no matter who's playing . Dick Lebeau is the main reason, they are always aggressive attacking and dictate the play. Sitting back and allowing teams to move down the field may create turnovers but it also let's stiffs like Sanchez look like an all pro.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from bredbru. Show bredbru's posts

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

thanks for weighing in. 

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

I really have not seen a 50 yard TD pass over the top of a safety that was on his side. 

But I do not. 

[/QUOTE]

when you say "his" side i thoght we were discussiing your point above about soft zone. 

so it wasnt a bout a he, but plays of 20-50 yards. the last 50 yarder i believe was first quarter rams.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from palookaski. Show palookaski's posts

These defenses that sit back in Tampa 2 or play coverage over pressure are simply not working for the Pats. Try to dictate the flow of the game to an offense—and force them to react. The talent is simply not there to play soft. These soft schemes are giving up too many plays for critical first downs and TOP. The proof is in the results for all to see.

We see the Blitz does work on occasion here. WE need to dictate the flow of the game to an offense—and force them to react quicker. Blitz schemes that caters to the strong safety position (we don't have) are especially distruptive. WE don't have true cover LB'rs either that just lay back to stop the run. That is not dictating.

Especially now where the Talib talent can cover a WR in man w/o support over the top is a good reason to blitz more. There are many different blitz schemes but pick the one's that play to your strength. That's why I rated Talib a B: simply because of his presence the O's will go less to his side. I'll eat crow if that does'nt happen.

The way I see it the downside is really a plus! The LBrs blitz more to attack the QB, it will surely set up short gainers for less than first downs but It will pressure the QB more into mistakes and breakdowns of their offensive playcalling - which often times creates turnovers. The opposing run game to the edge may be a bit more successful and shorter completions to TE & slots but not for first downs 'ALL THE TIME'. That's the difference! With 'THAT D'backfield'?, it's pick your poison and just play the odds according to what we have now.

I don't buy This stuff about Belichick not showing much on D early on. Did he do that  last year or year before? If the soft D continues on like this then I'm afraid it will be all on Brady and O to get us to the dance, AGAIN! I think the O can do it by scoring more than the opponent.

The Pats vs Bills game thread supports this advert....:-))))

Have a good night folks ... and nice thread Bredbru

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from bredbru. Show bredbru's posts

In response to palookaski's comment:
    [QUOTE]

These defenses that sit back in Tampa 2 or play coverage over pressure are simply not working for the Pats. Try to dictate the flow of the game to an offense—and force them to react. The talent is simply not there to play soft. These soft schemes are giving up too many plays for critical first downs and TOP. The proof is in the results for all to see.

We see the Blitz does work on occasion here. WE need to dictate the flow of the game to an offense—and force them to react quicker. Blitz schemes that caters to the strong safety position (we don't have) are especially distruptive. WE don't have true cover LB'rs either that just lay back to stop the run. That is not dictating.

Especially now where the Talib talent can cover a WR in man w/o support over the top is a good reason to blitz more. There are many different blitz schemes but pick the one's that play to your strength. That's why I rated Talib a B: simply because of his presence the O's will go less to his side. I'll eat crow if that does'nt happen.

The way I see it the downside is really a plus! The LBrs blitz more to attack the QB, it will surely set up short gainers for less than first downs but It will pressure the QB more into mistakes and breakdowns of their offensive playcalling - which often times creates turnovers. The opposing run game to the edge may be a bit more successful and shorter completions to TE & slots but not for first downs 'ALL THE TIME'. That's the difference! With 'THAT D'backfield'?, it's pick your poison and just play the odds according to what we have now.

I don't buy This stuff about Belichick not showing much on D early on. Did he do that  last year or year before? If the soft D continues on like this then I'm afraid it will be all on Brady and O to get us to the dance, AGAIN! I think the O can do it by scoring more than the opponent.

The Pats vs Bills game thread supports this advert....:-))))

Have a good night folks ... and nice thread Bredbru

[/QUOTE]

great post palooka.

re: 

"The opposing run game to the edge may be a bit more successful and shorter completions to TE & slots but not for first downs 'ALL THE TIME'. "

actually one more advatage. we wont get beat "all the time" on the 20-50 yard passes

thanks for weighing in with your thoughts man!

see you sunday on the game thread

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsEng. Show PatsEng's posts

In response to agcsbill's comment:
    [QUOTE]

The Pats aren't trying to win games to impress the fans.  As far as any NFL team is concerned, a W is a heck a lot better than the L whether it was a pretty victory or not.  Seems many fans and posters here constantly look for nothing but "pretty" and dominating wins, anything less the Pats stink!

I recall season, all we ever heard was the D s*cks and the Pats will NEVER go deep in the playoffs, let alone get to the SB with the way the D was playing.  Lo and behold it they got there.  Look at the Giants, would call their 2011 season pretty?  Most likely not, but, they'll take that Lombardi all the way to the bank with an ugly season any day.  

[/QUOTE]

Sometimes I think the Pats are trying not to lose games more then trying to win games

18. This post has been removed.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from zbellino. Show zbellino's posts

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

thanks for weighing in. 

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

But I do not. 

[/QUOTE]

when you say "his" side i thoght we were discussiing your point above about soft zone. 

so it wasnt a bout a he, but plays of 20-50 yards. the last 50 yarder i believe was first quarter rams.

[/QUOTE]

And they sent extra men on that play. I'm not sure what another extra man might have done to help that. I'm not sure what you mean by aggressive. 

If you mean bump n run ... they need to do what they can do well. They play that worse than they play zone coverage.

I'm half expecting someone to develop a "ratio" of press vs off coverages that equates to a win every time.   ;)